Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King_Slime

Square Enix Says Goodbye to Slime Knights

T_T ZELOS!! I have a zelos sig somewhere.

:possessed:

T_T ZELOS!! I have a zelos sig somewhere.

You know I was just think Zelos at first. But it's not DQ related, so I kept my mouth shut. :biggrin:

;) Are we talking Zelos as in "Xellos" from Slayers?

;) There's already a good number of Slime Knights Veterans here like The_Dwaine, Mimas and Sharjeel, plus there are Slime Knights Veterans that are also Old School Den Members such as myself, Cartographer and Plattym3.

I had an account over at SK, but didn't post much. I went under "Thorr" (which I went under here at the Den, before I changed my name to Kage over a year ago now? Something like that...). I maybe posted a hundred times over at SK? Not sure. I did enjoy it, though. Not sure why I quit going there, honestly. I wasn't a vet, unless you consider me signing up the day it came out, and receiving that medal for being a part of SK before 2.0 came out.

I do remember seeing: Mimas, Metroid, naia28, Michi, among others over at SK under my other name.

;) There's already a good number of Slime Knights Veterans here like The_Dwaine, Mimas and Sharjeel, plus there are Slime Knights Veterans that are also Old School Den Members such as myself, Cartographer and Plattym3.

I had an account over at SK, but didn't post much. I went under "Thorr" (which I went under here at the Den, before I changed my name to Kage over a year ago now? Something like that...). I maybe posted a hundred times over at SK? Not sure. I did enjoy it, though. Not sure why I quit going there, honestly. I wasn't a vet, unless you consider me signing up the day it came out, and receiving that medal for being a part of SK before 2.0 came out.

I do remember seeing: Mimas, Metroid, naia28, Michi, among others over at SK under my other name.

Yeah, Thorr does seems like a familiar name. I think I've seen the name elsewhere years ago as well, though the person I'm thinking of lived in FL. Was always active in RPG Palace board called RPG Town.

Teh loser MadDragon is here...

You know I was just think Zelos at first. But it's not DQ related, so I kept my mouth shut. :biggrin:

Well I am getting more lenient in my old age :)

And welcome to all the latest new members. :thumbsup:

Teh loser MadDragon is here...

:\ You're not a loser. You pwn.

I'm was a Slime Knight as well (sure for only a month later but I put alot of heart into that short time) and I fallowed Mimas here as per her suggestion that the Den was a great place for a Dq fan.

I'm was a Slime Knight as well (sure for only a month later but I put alot of heart into that short time) and I fallowed Mimas here as per her suggestion that the Den was a great place for a Dq fan.

Indeed it is. I wish I had joined years ago when I first found the place.

;) Same here, had I only known back in April of 2002 that this site had a forum...

What Exactly was the point of the slimeknights?(No offense I'm just wondering what their whole purpose was)

oops Double Post my bad

I believe it began as a marketing tool by Square Enix to promote Dragon Quest VIII's release in North America, but then it evolved into further DQ game promotion, giving out prizes to registerd Slime Knights members who accumulated monster medals (MM) by answering polls, competing in challenges, and recruiting members. It had a very active forum and chat, from what I can tell...

What Exactly was the point of the slimeknights?(No offense I'm just wondering what their whole purpose was)

To promoted DQ games. When we first started, we were promoting DQ8, then Rocket Slime, and then Jokers. We do missions like drawing, making videos, writing poetry, etc. and we recruit more people to join, make banners, icons, etcs to earn mini medals, which are used toward purchasing stuff in the supplies(somes we had an ipod, slime plushie, or even a game).

Beyond all that, it was a DQ community, much like this place is, where fans of the series come together to post on the forunms and chat in the chat room. Many of us have becomes friends in over 2 years of being there. Though some seems to have grown distant lately.....It's nice to have a place to fall back on(or to me, fall forward on. Minus the missions and prizes and such, this is like an upgraded SK).

"Dear Slime Knights,

The SLIME KNIGHTS initiative grew out of the monumental marketing campaign for the North American release of DRAGON QUEST VIII, and continued to grow to eventually encompass DRAGON QUEST HEROES: ROCKET SLIME and DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: Joker. It has been a long and exciting journey through which we've been able to share quite a few ups and downs, successes and shortcomings. We've learned a lot during this time, and we look forward to applying this knowledge to grander community experiences in the future. "

SQUARE ENIX

November 2007

Ah seems stupid then to kick SK out the door if you guys are the premotion crew then that means more sales for them

I am sorry to hear that you guys closed

Square Enix just doesn't understand marketing for DQ in North America is different than FF, and the results are not going to be like DQ in Japan until the fanbase is supported and built up...

Square Enix just doesn't understand marketing for DQ in North America is different than FF, and the results are not going to be like DQ in Japan until the fanbase is supported and built up...

So true. They were treating it like it should become as good as FF overnight. DQ8 sold well, so what to they do, they slack off in marketing, thinking it will continue to do well. Marketing for Jokers was so bad you'd think they wanted it to fail, especially since they pit it against big name games like Super Mario Galaxy. And I hear one of the future DQ games(it was either swords or the DQIV DS remake) that is going to be pitted against SSBB. :ws-slimedead:

And two weeks after Joker's release, they release FF XII Revnant Wings...nothing like competing against yourself.

The difference (I think) is they're given their assignment and budget and told, "Get to it!" Their attitude is, "We're moving on." That's nice, but there are several things they need to address in order to properly do so. Like I said before, it's one step forward and two steps back. Pretending like none of the issues exist, to quote Randy Taylor, "It ain't gonna work." Maybe it's difficult to look at things a different way when the feedback was mostly praise. Maybe it's tough when your office is micro-managed from two countries. We're the third class of the third class. In order for the brand to meet fan and company expectations, they need someone in charge of it who knows the series, rather than it being the monthly task.

An important aspect SEI missed with Slime Knights was direct customer feedback. I'm not a fan of Epic Games, but Cliffy B. and other staffers have said they read the boards and communicate with fans to improve the products. The members of Slime Knights did a good job expressing what the liked and disliked without the stupidity and vulgarity of most gaming sites. Localization, product availability, which titles they wanted, marketing, merchandise, and more. SEI never took advantage of that.

And two weeks after Joker's release, they release FF XII Revnant Wings...nothing like competing against yourself.

Yes, but I am glad their TV budget went to the Joker ad. It was a nice ad and aired on shows where it would find an audience. That's one of the few things they've seemed to learn in four years. Despite the horrible release date, I think it played a big part in Joker selling 100,000+ copies. Funny thing, there was no problem getting that FF XII guide on the shelves, in several stores, and on time. They probably figured it would have a better return, so they played around with them. Unfortunately, those two weeks allowed several online resources to post the walkthroughs and breeding information, further denting its sales. Bravo, guys. I'm amazed how that company can lack common business sense.

I've said this for a long time, but I think it's in everyone's best interest that DQ be licensed out. That way it can be in good hands, no more in-fighting, no more self competition, and everyone finally can move on to long term success.

How expensive could a site like SK be to maintain? Even if they phased out prizes or just gave away 1-2 signed pieces semiannually, I think we'd be properly motivated to stay. Is there some big cost that I'm missing?

Anyway, SK was a nice site, and I miss it already. But would it be sacrilege to say that I'm actually starting to like this board even more than the SK boards? :D

How expensive could a site like SK be to maintain? Even if they phased out prizes or just gave away 1-2 signed pieces semiannually, I think we'd be properly motivated to stay. Is there some big cost that I'm missing?

Anyway, SK was a nice site, and I miss it already. But would it be sacrilege to say that I'm actually starting to like this board even more than the SK boards? :D

They never gave us a real reason why they chose to close down. You're not the only one. I'm actually enjoying this place a lot as well, especially with new chat we have. Just need to get more of the regular chatters that migrated to IRC to enter it at least once in a while. It gets active from time to time without them anyways though. Usually in the afternoon-evening hours.

Not at all. Woodus had been around for many years, and he's put a lot of effort into this site, and it shows.

I'm not on much, but I'm starting to like this site...I hate moving but once I do I adapt...