That's Right, 117 New Brasington Avatars

Woodus

Thanks to the Brasington Lane Software Planning for a huge update of avatars based on sprites from their RM2k Game Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance. Enjoy.

Brasington Lane Software Planning, the authors of Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance for RPG Maker 2000, have young and fertile minds that never stop coming up with ideas. The four Brasington graphic designers (Friede Genner, Indogutsu Tenbuki, Kunio Hiroba, and Felix Trapper) aim to become true successors of the master artist Akira Toriyama, who has come up with over 1,000 wildly original character and monster designs for the venerable Dragon Quest series through the years. Here is a collection of over 100 new 64x64 avatars for the Dragon's Den. Hope you enjoy! (And as always, if you see something you like, show your support for Brasington and USE IT!)

glass_ca-ca-ca.png

Glass Ca-Ca-Ca is an exquisitely-made glass sculpture of an avian deity, brought to life with the spell of a gifted sorceress. The bird is surprisingly fast and durable for a glass statue, and attacks with a variety of spells in addition to its razor-sharp talons. Although you may think it was named for its call (and it was, within the context of the game itself), its name actually arises from an inside joke between Indogutsu and another Animutation Portal member, IIDX (formerly known as KKyuubi). "Glass Ca-Ca-Ca" is a misinterpreted line from a Japanese song in one of IIDX's animated music videos, in a fashion very similar to Kangarilla's name origin. Not surprisingly, the real Ca-Ca-Ca is also an enemy in this game, and it uses the same sprite as Guardian from Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 for PlayStation.

spittymon.png

Spittymon is one of the stranger denizens of the world's vast ocean regions. Originally an unsentient mass of salty sea foam and algae, he was given life by the song of a mermaid, and is now a master of several water-elemental and martial arts moves. Variants of Spittymon exist in other regions, who hit hard and attack with bits of themselves. Like Glass Ca-Ca-Ca, Spittymon's name was originally a misheard Japanese lyric in a song from one of IIDX's animated music videos.

assassins.png

Elimi Moyal, Nate Finlay, Fimbria Cole, and Lettie Tisdale are the four assassins that one of Sobel's ministers hired to kill Gail Winter as a punishment for her dissent. All four were active members of the traveling Carousel festival before Endor acquired it, and they were very close friends with Gail, so the secrets they know about her are significant assets to Endor. Sobel paid them all handsomely in exchange for their loyalty, but none of them know that Gail has found some new companions of her own! Even so, each assassin brings a different combat mastery to the table, so even the Chosen Ones would have a challenge bringing them down. (Felix Trapper notes: "I have a shameful secret; I didn't use a DQ/DW game for these sprites' bodies. Instead, I got them from a Japanese arcade game called "Dungeon Magic." I'm sorry, but the DQ/DW games only have so many human enemies for me to use parts from... Anyway, thanks to FryingBear for ripping the sprites.")

forehead.png

The enigmatic and unbelievably talented and intelligent young lady simply known as Forehead became Fealty Maynes' new musical apprentice after her former apprentice (and Isod's sweetheart), Catherine Cilide, was exiled from Endor in the game's fifth episode. Forehead's true name and background are largely unknown, but one can surmise that she was often bullied and teased as a child due to her rare gifts and odd appearance (which is how she got her nickname), and she looks up to Fealty as a makeshift mother figure (Fealty taught her to embrace her forehead as a sign of intelligence). Forehead feels a spiritual kinship with fairies, mermaids, and other mystical beings of that nature; they influence her and her craft, and she believes she can communicate with them in their own language.

muses.png

It's said that Rubiss was a masterful harp player, so a couple of centuries ago, a high priestess from Lynanth founded the Muses, an order of clergywomen who use music as a way of getting closer to their goddess. The group became more and more popular as time went on, and in this modern era, they have a worldwide presence. They are said to have inspired Fealty Maynes to create the Fealtors, a similar organization with more of a secular and political (one might say "cultural imperialist") agenda.

feyles.png

As explained in an earlier "New Avatars from Brasington!" thread, the Feyles (singular: Feyl) were a highly-trained special mission force made entirely of women, and their lightning-fast combat style mixed elements of swordplay and dance. They originated in Indogutsu's first text-based RPG story series, Y8K, where they hailed from the eastern nation of Feyrand (hence their name). These gifted fencers played an even more important part in Y8K's sequel, The Rohan Weir Project, where they joined forces with the Manhasset-based Lancers' Federal Order (LFO) in order to stop an impending international threat from the floating metropolis of Omninova. Since then, they have shown up in Brasington projects from time to time, but in chiefly minor roles.

medusa.png

Medusa and her Gorgon sisters are mainstays in RPG monster compendia, but have never showed up in a Dragon Quest game before (unless you count DW2's Medusa Ball and Gorgon). Brasington Lane staff artist Friede Genner, who includes classical mythology and exotic fantasy illustration among her many interests, set out to change that with this set of sprites. Ms. Genner wanted to take the Medusa archetype in a different direction; these beguiling snake ladies have an insatiable hunger for male human flesh, and enjoy charming their opponents into a comfortably numb state before turning them to stone with a kiss. Friede intended their characteristics to be more alluring and fairylike than the traditional unsavory fiend who fought Perseus in that immortal Greek tale. (Hey, most RPG heroes are teenage men who undoubtedly have raging hormones, and Isod is no exception. So wouldn't it make sense for his enemies to use that fact to their advantage?)

robin_rigby.png

Inspired by a boss from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the Robin Rigby clan consists of androgynous, scythe-wielding fairies who strike with unrivaled speed and flair. Their name refers to Robin Hood, a legendary thief of English lore.

pop_stars.png

Best friends forever, the chart-topping pop starlets-turned-political and military advisors Feather Galen and Leaf Windmith originated as major villains in Indogutsu's second text-based RPG story series, The Rohan Weir Project, and have made scattered appearances in Brasington projects since. After the two fought Falco's party as optional superbosses in Indogutsu's first RPG Maker 2000 game, LeGend Unabridged, they decided to go their separate ways and pursue solo projects. Leaf was to be a secret playable character in LeGend Unabridged 2, but the game was cancelled before she had a chance to make her entrance. Feather met with more success as a secret playable character in Felix Trapper's first RM2K game, Shichimenchouken; the "Get Feather!" sidequest is still a much-discussed subject among Shichi fans. The ladies have reunited for Dragon Warrior IV: Renaissance, where they will more than likely be superbosses once again.

As I mentioned before, Brasington's designers enjoy Final Fantasy every bit as much as they enjoy Dragon Quest, so they try to include a healthy dash of FF in this ambitious DQ-based project. "After all," explains co-founder and vice president Felix Trapper, "amalgamation is something the real Square Enix should be doing more often. It's sad that the Enix staff and the Square staff refuse to associate with each other, for the most part; otherwise we could have another potential Chrono Trigger on our hands. So maybe it's up to Brasington to make the next Chrono Trigger..."

black_mage.png

Our new FF-inspired sprite lineup starts with an instantly recognizable figure. Sure, there have been countless attack magic experts in the DQ series, but even the most hardened DQ fan has to admit that none of them had the style, flair, and wicked nature of the Black Mage. Their coolness got a boost after Nobuo Uematsu formed a band and named it after that character class. Oh, and that souped-up mage with wings and a multi-edged knife? That's their leader, Black Soulkeeper, who was modeled after the Black Waltz villains from FF9. Although most famous for their fire, ice, and lightning spell knowledge, the Black Soulkeeper and his followers are also well-versed in protecting and even healing their comrades with mystical prayers to the stars above.

white_mage.png

Far Eastern religions and philosophies extol balance and moderation in all things, so it's no mystery that Black Mages are pretty much powerless without their caring, nurturing, white-robed counterparts. White Mages know that healing their allies is every bit as important as harming their enemies, but surprisingly, they are adept at both. In addition to their library of curative and defensive spells, they also hold dominion over the elements of wind and water, and can also convert the planet's sacred energy into a pure destructive force.

moogle.png

The past 500 years have seen the origin of countless new species in the world of DW4. Some, such as the Moogle, have evolved to the point where they developed their own languages and civilizations. Like the fairies, Moogles have built many towns throughout the world, and used their magic to hide the towns away from greedy, warlike humans. To protect their beloved forests, they are prepared to fend off all human invaders -- a duty made all the more urgent by the unfolding war between Isod and Sobel. Unlike the simple, happy-go-lucky, dancing cave-dwellers of FF6, the Moogles in this world are experts in weaponry, magic, crafting, and engineering (much like the ones in FF Tactics Advance and FF12). Some have even managed to combine these four fields of knowledge and build elaborate, mana-powered guns. The castle town of "Kupo City" (a pun on Cooper City, Florida), the largest of the hidden Moogle towns, is their central seat of power. While many Moogles in this world detest humans (a reference to the still-active feud between FF fans and DQ fans), their beloved leaders, Queen Mag and King Earthsky (pronounced ERTH-skee), are willing to welcome any human who is sympathetic to their cause. Mag and Earthsky might even share their technology with you... if you can beat them in battle first!

sorcerers.png

Some sorcerer-type enemies (but not the Black or White Mages seen earlier) have researched the esoteric, otherworldly (literally) class of magic known as Summon Magic, and can use all of their MP at the beginning of a battle to call forth a helpful ethereal spirit. Because twelve is the magic number (as the song goes), there are twelve spirits in all: Chocobo, Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Titan, Palidor, Fenrir, Lakshmi, Kirin, Jorgandr, Leviathan, and Bahamut. (All of these sprites come from Dragon Quest Monsters 3: Caravan Heart except for Ramuh and Chocobo, who are Brasington customs, Jorgandr, a recolor of a DQM3 sprite, and Titan, who is from DW7.) Once a spirit is summoned, his/her/its invoker cannot use magic or special techniques for the rest of the battle, although every spirit has five different techniques of his/her/its own. For example, Kirin can restore his allies' HP and increase their natural healing powers with Life Guard (like in FF6), raise their intelligence and speed with Kirin's Song (like in SaGa Frontier), or attack your party with three different levels of holy-elemental offensive magic. All spirits have unlimited HP and are impervious to everything your party can dish out, but if you defeat the summoner, the spirit will vanish as well. There are several other summoned spirits in addition to these twelve; however, although they consume all of the caster's MP like the others, they only stick around for one turn and can't be seen by your party because they come and go so quickly. One example is the dreaded "Knights of the Round," which damages your party by 999; the only way for you to survive is to have at least one party member (with over 500 HP) use the "Defend" command. If you see a magic user beside a super-rare Gold Chocobo, it's a safe assumption that he or she can summon the Knights.

;) It's looking like it's going to be well over a thousand, though some of these monsters will probably be used for other games.
;) Wow!!! If I can ever get to where I can put RPG Maker2000 back up I may have to look ionto that patch. Though I figured that 5000 would be plenty.
;) Yeah, I figured that the extra Swiches would come in handy for me. Especially for those boss battles and event battles.

I am massively looking forward to the next installment to DWIV: Renaissance!! This is gonna be awesome!! I love the name of the Glass Ca-Ca-Ca....because my first thought, being as I lived in Texas, and was around a lot of spanish-speaking folks as a result (and, as a result, learned a lot of spanish without even really trying to!!) well...just take one "Ca" off the monster's name, and you will, if you know spanish...understand why I found the name so amusing!

In that context, you really should have a porcelain Ca-Ca-Ca...and you could have the Ti-D-Bol Man riding on his back...ROFL!!! I'm always in for injecting a little humor into games, anyway...witness my enjoyment of Legend of the Green Dragon...which is full of injected humor, yet remains serious enough, and with a good enough plotline as to avoid being cheesey. there is a fine line between injection of humor and injection of cheese.

;) Injection of Cheese... Why does that remind me of Cheez Wizz?
;) Injection of Cheese... Why does that remind me of Cheez Wizz?

Probably because that was how you served up Cheez Whiz.

Amazing...we went from talking about DWIV Renaissance, and new avatars from Brasington...to talking about Cheez Whiz....in the same thread!! ROFL!!

Tsk tsk, and you don't even have room to let me have an animated gif yet you upload this many avatars that about 3 people will use in the long run.

Guest Plattym3
Tsk tsk, and you don't even have room to let me have an animated gif yet you upload this many avatars that about 3 people will use in the long run.

If I remember correctly, that was a dial-up user complaint (about the size of animated gifs). Maybe now with more and more people being on high speed, it's time to revisit the ban.

If I remember correctly, that was a dial-up user complaint (about the size of animated gifs). Maybe now with more and more people being on high speed, it's time to revisit the ban.

Oh. I was never informed about that. Little did I face to relize about those still using dial-up.

Yeah, that was one of the big things too about that, which is why the main site doesn't have really all that many graphics to it.

Well, there ya go, then. Dial-up users could just turn off avatars. I will never go back to dial-up.

I'm not much of a religious person, but Amen to that ;)

THREE people? Isn't your estimate a little much?

Kalisiin: Did you know there are those out there who believe DW4:R should be mostly a serious RPG with minimal humor and outside references? They are directly opposed to your belief that DW4:R should have as much funny and zany stuff as possible. And in my opinion, both groups are valid, and I try to stay somewhere in the middle. References to toilets and Ty-D-Bol would be a bit too much (to the purists, it's bad enough I have Black Mages, White Mages, Chocobos, Moogles, summoners, and Demon Toadstool-type enemies who revive their fallen comrades with "1UP Mushrooms"), but I'm glad you like the new avatars at least. Still, as the anti-Brasingtonists have brought to my attention time and again, DW4:R is looking less like a DW4 fanproject and more like a nonsensical, disjointed tribute to every single RPG from 1988 to 1998.

Ah, well...it was an idea, anyway. And, to the anti-humor crowd...as Andrew Dice Clay used to like to say, JOKE 'em if they can't take a $#!&!!

Really Who didnt see This comeing? (My avatar I mean)

I gotta keep my avatar. It's an inside joke between me and Indogutsu. The avatar, as mentioned...comes directly from the result of misinterpreted lyrics. The Kangarilla...my avatar...was inspired by misinterpreted lyrics of Phil Collins. And I happen to totally love Phil collins....both with Genesis...and on his own.

;) I saw it coming a mile away :laugh::P

I really have hand it to Indogutsu

This set has # really good ones that Stand out my eye

But as FF Black Mage lover

I can truely say How much this Avatar is Work of art

Good luck on trying get me to replace it xD

;) Who said we were going to try and do so?

Well I think that Ninja is holding up a sign says... "Get him to change it or Ninjas will steal your 1st bornen child"

:whoa:

I kinda knew it, because Atticus got his name from the Black Mage in the "Final Fantasy A+" Flash movie. And that avatar really suits him well, although I'm kinda going to miss Gablan.

Gablan was vary nice avatar too

I also find Moogle avatars vary funny xD

Good job on Easter Egg FF in to your game :goofyslime:

Archived