DQ Remakes Coming?

Woodus

Source: IGN

May 23, 2007 - Square Enix has been upping the remake count of late, with, at last count, two billion Final Fantasy remakes appearing on various platforms. So, you might be wondering, if they're willing to remake all the older Final Fantasy games, why aren't they doing the same for the Dragon Quest series?

According to the online version of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, CEO Yoichi Wada managed to answer that very question (even though it wasn't asked!) at a Square Enix financial briefing in Tokyo today. Asked about release plans for Dragon Quest IX during the Q&A session that followed the briefing, Wada said, "This summer, we'll release Battle Road in arcades and Sword for the Wii. Following that, we're thinking of a release for 9 once we've released remake versions and so forth."

He didn't get into specifics on what entries in the series the company is looking to remake, nor did he refer to a specific system. The last DQ remake, DQV, sold over a million copies on the PS2.

And as for that mysterious "so-forth," it's possible that Wada was referring to off-shoots. Itadaki Street DS could fall into that category, as it features Dragon Quest characters.

Despite strong potential for a remake to turn into a blockbuster, it's doubtful that anything will be able to beat the noise generated by DQIX itself. During the Q&A, someone asked Wada about the planned price for DQIX, noting that some have suggested that the game could end up selling three times as many copies as DQVIII. In response, Wada would not comment on sales targets, nor would he offer a specific price point.

We'll point out that selling three times that of DQVIII would make DQIX Japan's best selling videogame ever with sales of over 11 million units. The DS is certainly popular, but perhaps someone has been spending too much time with the EA wine-tasting game.

Maybe a remake of DW1-3 for ds?

Nope, a remake of DQVII!

Guest Plattym3

I'd say it's not likely they'd go back to I - III again, but look at stupid FF. They're back to number IV again and again. I could see a remake of any of III - VI. I don't think they'll redo I or II, they're too short/not enough characters.

I'd say it's not likely they'd go back to I - III again, but look at stupid FF. They're back to number IV again and again. I could see a remake of any of III - VI. I don't think they'll redo I or II, they're too short/not enough characters.
they sould go "Soul of rebirth" on it, and fuse 1-3 into a single story.
they sould go "Soul of rebirth" on it, and fuse 1-3 into a single story.

That'd be gay. Keep the classics and perhaps release those who never made it to Western shores(V and VI) so the game franchise gets more popularity among westerners. We all know how I-III are connected, at least us fans. The series will never be as big as the classic Zelda saga, its just the mentality of the average gamer who'd chose Zelda over Dragon Quest.

I'd sooner see a DS or PSP release of IV,V,and VI. I-III has been done too many times for me to like.

Well I know if they did that for the Gameboy Advance, that would mean look at reusing the old font system we all like from Dragon Warrior, even the one I customized that looks similar to the 8x8 character sized ones, even though that depends if Nintendo does have ideas to go for that fornt type again.

You know what I wouldn't say no to? A fully 3D remake of III on the Xbox 360 (looking like Blue Dragon).

I think I just collapsed! :o

You know what I wouldn't say no to? A fully 3D remake of III on the Xbox 360 (looking like Blue Dragon).

That would be Cool as Out all DQ games I beaten 3 is my fav

I wather they remake all them from 1-6 mainly ones that never come to USA that counts Spinoffs too!

Well, soldier and martial artist were 3D-modeled for Dragon Quest VIII, and hero appears on Monster Battle Road, so it's less work for them.

I would prefer DQ III and IV done in the style of FF III DS and FF IV DS it be cool, I mean they already doing DQ 9 (Makes me Disappointed would have been better on PlayStation3 or Nintendo Wii) I just think they could do a lot more with DQ III and DQ IV on the DS, The whole job system on DS cause they could just do the same thing they did for FF III They could have either Kenji Ito of (SaGa series) or Tsuyoshi Sekito, Keiji Kawamori (The Black Mages) Too re compose the Music or just Re-use The orchestra stuff Koichi did, and Have a Cool CGI Opening like with FF III It be awesome!!

There is a lot of Potental for DQ III On the DS after playing FF III, I can see it. As for DQ IX Me and my friend Both agree a lot more could have been done with PS3 Graphics or Even Wii Graphics...

-@ngelo Kukule

Blasphemy!

"Recompose" Sugiyama's work of art? Unconceivable!

And Dragon Quest IX would not be better on PlayStation. Only different.

I'll love being able to play anywhere.

Blasphemy!

"Recompose" Sugiyama's work of art? Unconceivable!

And Dragon Quest IX would not be better on PlayStation. Only different.

I'll love being able to play anywhere.

well its Just my opinion... I won't diss You for yours

You do make good Points But thats what Square-Enix did too Nobuo Uematsu Art from FF 3 and Came out good.

I would prefer DQ III and IV done in the style of FF III DS and FF IV DS it be cool, I mean they already doing DQ 9 (Makes me Disappointed would have been better on PlayStation3 or Nintendo Wii) I just think they could do a lot more with DQ III and DQ IV on the DS, The whole job system on DS cause they could just do the same thing they did for FF III They could have either Kenji Ito of (SaGa series) or Tsuyoshi Sekito, Keiji Kawamori (The Black Mages) Too re compose the Music or just Re-use The orchestra stuff Koichi did, and Have a Cool CGI Opening like with FF III It be awesome!!

There is a lot of Potental for DQ III On the DS after playing FF III, I can see it. As for DQ IX Me and my friend Both agree a lot more could have been done with PS3 Graphics or Even Wii Graphics...

-@ngelo Kukule

How dare you bring Final Fantasy into a Dragon Quest franchise. Re-compose the music? What the hell are you thinking?! Koichi Sugiyama is one of the best musical composers, this is slander to the series.

You do make good Points But thats what Square-Enix did too Nobuo Uematsu Art from FF 3 and Came out good.

Yeah, because Nobuo was the lead supervisor like all Final Fantasy remakes with his original music. And the music was NES quality to begin with, all he had to do is add in drums, midi sounds and there you have it, midi quality remix.

Plus, Dragon Quest is all about being original and cartoony. Why the hell would the DQ team bother to make a PS3 game now? You can't improve too much to make it efficient enough to sell. Perhaps realtime lighting would be cool, but no one would give a rats ass cause the game franchise is fun enough. Plus, if your pissed DQ IX isn't for the Wii, pick up DQ Swords and don't complain; it looks good enough. If they made a PS3 game, it would be a bigger cost to make, did you know most top knotch games cost around $1,000,000 to even $2,000,000? If they decided to make it on the DS, it would bring down they're development cost to probably around $700,000.

-@ngelo Kukule

How dare you bring Final Fantasy into a Dragon Quest franchise. Re-compose the music? What the hell are you thinking?! Koichi Sugiyama is one of the best musical composers, this is slander to the series.

Yeah, because Nobuo was the lead supervisor like all Final Fantasy remakes with his original music. And the music was NES quality to begin with, all he had to do is add in drums, midi sounds and there you have it, midi quality remix.

Plus, Dragon Quest is all about being original and cartoony. Why the hell would the DQ team bother to make a PS3 game now? You can't improve too much to make it efficient enough to sell. Perhaps realtime lighting would be cool, but no one would give a rats ass cause the game franchise is fun enough. Plus, if your pissed DQ IX isn't for the Wii, pick up DQ Swords and don't complain; it looks good enough. If they made a PS3 game, it would be a bigger cost to make, did you know most top knotch games cost around $1,000,000 to even $2,000,000? If they decided to make it on the DS, it would bring down they're development cost to probably around $700,000.

Thats one things Disaponts me as Systems as PS3 and 360 go on not only cost but the Development time we may be lucky to get MGS4 in 08 I takeing bets late 08 or even 09 o.o

As for DS matter (seen Angelo Kukule pop up his hate for 9 being on it) I would think even Angelo Kukule can see WHY There puting it on DS due to its hot selling its out selling All 3 systems (4 if want throw in PSP) last I checked.

Easy see that they wanted put it on system that in owner ship of most familys/gamers this = more money

We may all hate some games comeing such and such system it isnt anything new Think alot non Sony MGS fans?

MGS4 on $600 system doesnt sound good me but belive or not There alot MGS fans want it for PS3

So got basicly live with it really What fans want dont get heard alot anymore.

If they did Dead Rising have Coop and TEXT you could READ on a Normal non HD TV

We all have things we dislike but we cant control everthing happens Anything say Angelo wont change fact DQ9 is going be on DS, Or my crying of MGS4 on PS3, or PS3 owners crying over NOT geting Dead Rising or Lost Plant why They Lose DMC4 being on PS3 only.

We all lose at some point.......

DS is the top selling system of all time now, so it would be highly wise to release DQIX on a DS.

As for PS3, its not a total loss. MGS4 is my wanted title, but actually there are other titles I want for the PS3. Games such as Haze and DMC4. Then again I want a Xbox 360 for a couple games as well, such as Alan Wake and Gears of War. We'll just have to wait to see what happens. :wd_coolslime:

DS is the top selling system of all time now, so it would be highly wise to release DQIX on a DS.

As for PS3, its not a total loss. MGS4 is my wanted title, but actually there are other titles I want for the PS3. Games such as Haze and DMC4. Then again I want a Xbox 360 for a couple games as well, such as Alan Wake and Gears of War. We'll just have to wait to see what happens. :wd_coolslime:

DMC4 will be on PS3 and 360

and Nice see someone else looking forword to Alan Wake ;p

Wont hear much about GofW from me tho Much better halo but vary short and Vs Online seemed undone (most teams just go team rush for most powerfull weapon thats in SAME place in the map weapons cant randomly span or anything set in place and cant even remove weapons you may dislike or think are unfair T_T)

And I fear I buy PS3 for just MGS4 t_t God ples be cheaper by then

But ya back to topic As said Its just easy see why DQ9 going to DS more gamers own DS then any other systems out Maybe even more then *gasp* PS2?

Eather way point is odds of it changeing are like 1% out 100

Archived