SquareEnix Party Summary

Woodus

squareenix.png

Source: Cubed3

The Square Enix Party 2007 has now finished and all Nintendo fans really received from the company was confirmation of Final Fantasy IV being remade in 3D on the DS, plus a Chocobo Wii RPG. However, Yuji Hori, the creator of the Dragon Quest RPG series, went on record with some interesting words.

To start with, he spoke about how after Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker has sold more than 1.3 million units in Japan already, the follow-up to that game will likely be released after Dragon Quest IX launches on DS, early in 2008. To give that some sort of proper context, he added that the ninth entry into the multi-million main series will hit Japan sometime between now and this Christmas, although given Square Enix's busy line-up already, with the likes of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates due on 23rd August and It's a Wonderful World set for the end of July, it seems a little vague.

Moving on to talk more about that highly anticipated game, he pointed out that whilst traditional turn-based battling had been brought back in due to consumer requests (since it was announced as being a fully action-RPG to start with), some action controls will remain in the game. Elaborating only slightly on this, he mentioned that the type of battling alters depending upon what circumstance you are faced with. So there appears to be a mixture of turn-based and action-based fighting included, to keep everyone happy.

Also, following early speculation, it has been revealed that there will indeed be connectivity with the Wii. However, in what way is still unknown. Could it just be a simple upload of creatures for viewing editing on the system, or will there be features of Dragon Quest Swords that can only be unlocked with the DS game? It seems we shall just have to wait and see.

Dragon Quest IX is set to have around 10,000 characters attributes to play around with for creating your own unique protagonist, rather like a more in-depth version of the Mii creation tool on Wii. You will also be able to gather new friends via Wi-Fi at 'Luida's Bar', similar to how you could in Dragon Quest III.

Moving on, Hori-san stated that although Dragon Quest Swords hits on 12th July for Wii and Dragon Quest IX is coming on DS this Christmas, 2008 will in fact be the 'Year of Dragon Quest'. What he is referring to here is likely related to his closing comment about how the company has plans for several remakes that plan to connect with other Square Enix games. Therefore, it seems that the Final Fantasy series is not the only one that will be remade. A fully-3D remake of the original Dragon Quest would be more than welcomed...

The Year of Dragon Quest, huh? Well, if it's just the remakes they're talking about I'll be kinda disappointed, but it sounds like we may get at least 1 or 2 originals... Either way, it seems like next year will be a very active one for us DQ fans.

Therefore, it seems that the Final Fantasy series is not the only one that will be remade. A fully-3D remake of the original Dragon Quest would be more than welcomed...

Yeah well that's half a good news... the other half would be if they'd tell us they're making an anthology or semthing, AND give us US/CAN release dates...!!!

Also, following early speculation, it has been revealed that there will indeed be connectivity with the Wii. However, in what way is still unknown. Could it just be a simple upload of creatures for viewing editing on the system, or will there be features of Dragon Quest Swords that can only be unlocked with the DS game? It seems we shall just have to wait and see.

Now, that's something I've wanted for years... systems that interac together... this gives me one more reason to purchase both the Wii and the DS :wd_coolslime:

;) A fully 3D original Dragon QUest Eh? I bet Dragon Chaser is drooling over this, I know I am though a Cel-Shaded Dragon Quest III would be even cooler.
I dunno if anyone has posted this yet somewhere else or not, but SE showed a new DQSwords trailer at the SE party. You can find it on the DQSwords website by clicking the first link with "new" next to it.

Look's frickin' amazing!! :slimeking:

Argh, too much DQ info to cope with! :laugh: Another Monsters sequel when we haven't even gotten Joker yet, possible remakes of the classic games (I hear that cel-shaded DQ III Slime Master!), a mix of gameplay in IX plus 10,000 character customisations (holy crap!) Wii connectivity!

Get ready for the Year of the Dragon Quest! :biggrin:

It wouldn't be "just the remakes" (and even then, it would not be disappointing).

There is Swords, Itadaki Street and IX, plus an announcement for another Monsters game. If remakes are released besides these, then all is good, and it would indeed be a DQ year!

Or would you want 30 games a year like other series?

Actually DQSwords, DQ9 and Itadaki Street DS are all planned for releases this year, so they will have nothing to do with the "Year of Dragon Quest". So far the only original game to even be hinted at for 2008 is the new Monsters game.

I'm just hoping they are all for the DS, since I don't have any of the 4th gen systems yet. XD

Guest Plattym3
plus 10,000 character customisations (holy crap!)

Don't get too excited by that 10,000 number.

10 helmets x 10 armors x 10 weapons x 10 shields = 10,000 possiblities.

So, basically 10 of each thing we normally equip gives us that number right there.

I already posted in the other topic a couple of days ago, but THIS IS AWESOME. Remakes, Joker 2, geeze! Even though some will never see our shores, it looks like we'll get something. We typically get about half or more of what Japan gets of DQ, so every new game they get increases the odds that we'll get something.

Guest Plattym3
I dunno if anyone has posted this yet somewhere else or not, but SE showed a new DQSwords trailer at the SE party. You can find it on the DQSwords website by clicking the first link with "new" next to it.

HOLY COW! Remember when we all thought this game would be a port of that DQ Swordmaster thing that attaches to the TV. This is looking so awesome. I told my wife last night that I'm beginning to save for a Wii. Heck, with the latest tutoring checks, I'll be able to get one by this summer (and some games since I'm selling most of my DS games). I'd love to have a US release date to pine over for this game. Hey, why isn't this DQ9? It's looking so indepth that really it could be it. I mean if they were considering making DQ9 action RPG, then why not consider this for DQ9 with the Wiimotes? Odd.

I told my wife last night that I'm beginning to save for a Wii. Heck, with the latest tutoring checks, I'll be able to get one by this summer (and some games since I'm selling most of my DS games).

No, man, you are going about this all wrong.

What you do is tell her about a game she definitely has to have on the Wii, then she will buy it, and you can use it for free :evillaugh:. At least I know I'd try that, heheheh.

Yup, my wife was checking the stores for me telling me which ones to check out (and what days to try to take off of work to do so ;))

Archived