Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chaltier

DW2 Cannock/Moonbrooke names (NES version)

Hey guys (first post here),

Was going through Dragon Warrior 2 again on the NES. Just wondering, what are the different names you can get for the Prince of Cannock and the Princess of Moonbrooke? If I'm not mistaken, the names that you get are determined by the letters in your name. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Boy, I remember reading something on this, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

EDIT:

I did find this list of names it could be

Prince of Cannock Bran, Glynn, Talint, Numor, Lars, Orfeo, Artho, or Esgar.

Princess of Moonbrooke Varia, Elani, Ollisa, Roz, Kailin, Peta, Illith, or Gwen.

I don't know if John has gotten into the code of DW enough to be able to answer this.

I remember in my first time I named my character "Dai", and got "Lars" and "Kailin".

In versions other than the NES, I'd change the three names to "Lock", "Doug" and "Rain".

A little off-topic, the funniest names from the japanese version are the ones chosen for Itadaki Street: Cookie and Pudding.

I've only had Lars and Gwen, ever!

Boy, I remember reading something on this, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

EDIT:

I did find this list of names it could be

Prince of Cannock Bran, Glynn, Talint, Numor, Lars, Orfeo, Artho, or Esgar.

Princess of Moonbrooke Varia, Elani, Ollisa, Roz, Kailin, Peta, Illith, or Gwen.

I don't know if John has gotten into the code of DW enough to be able to answer this.

This is news to me. I always named my character "John", so that my Prince and Princess were always Artho and Peta. However, I just asked my son and he informed me that he always ended up with his Prince and Princess as Glynn and Gwen. Unfortunately, he could not remember what he named his character.

Awesome. I knew I'd get a quick answer from you guys.

I had meant to ask about DW3 as well but that was taken care of as well. But unlike DW2, I've named my hero the same and the pre-programmed names can be different. I almost always get Petrus as my Pilgrim no matter what I name my hero though.

As for DW2, I usually use my real name (and get Lars and Illyth every time). This time I used one of my nicknames and got Orfeo as the Prince. Not sure of the Princess as I'm also playing through III and IV at the same time. For those who frequent the DW4 GameFAQS board, you'll know me as the poor sap still working on a Ragnar/Nara challenge.

As for DW3, the pilgrim I'd get would ALWAYS be named Petrus... it's random, and I get the same name each time... go figure. (and I never use the same name for my char, too.)

;) You too huh? That's the name I would get as well but it matters not since I like to make and name my own characters.

Yeah well if it'd been for DW2 nes, I'd understand, since the choice was limited... although I only did get the names glynn and varia all over :P Wasn't there a way to edit the names in the nes version? i know there was one in the GB version...

Ahhhh.... so thats why I always got Esgar and Kailin as names (I loved them anyway) :D

;) I don't think so, as far as I can remember you cannot rename any characters in the NES version.

;) I don't think so, as far as I can remember you cannot rename any characters in the NES version.

I mean... my hero always had the same name... so if what Chaltier said is correct (prince and princess anmes depending on hero name), that explaisn why I always got the same names for prince and princess (Esgar and Kailin), since I always thought it was random, and wondered why the game would choose always the same? hehehe

;) Oh, you were talking about Dragon Warrior II, Sygma and I were actually talking about the renaming of characters in Dragon Warrior III which can be done in the remakes but not in the original NES version.

I have gotten Talint and Roz....and Bran and Illith.

Bran and Illith I thought, were really stupid names. I figured it was just because I'd used a different ROM than original, because my original got corrupted somewhere, and I had to get a new one. I was disappointed when I'd gotten the names Bran and Illith on the new ROM, because I thought they were stupid names.

I always wished, on DW2, that you could choose the names, because they had some real dumb ones...Talint is not a very good name, either, but Roz was okay.

The names I like, from the given list are...

Prince: Lars, Artho, or Esgar (Glynn sounds like a girl's name)

Princess: Varia, Elani, Roz, Gwen. (Kailin sounds more like a boy's name) - (Interestingly, Kailin is fairly close to Kalisiin!!!)

Princess: Varia, Elani, Roz, Gwen. (Kailin sounds more like a boy's name) - (Interestingly, Kailin is fairly close to Kalisiin!!!)

That's what I thought in the moment that I read :wink: !

See ya.

Nice break down on the names Indogutsu. I'm sure you're right and they pretty much all come from various origins. My only remaining query is if anyone can figure out what makes the game select each name. (letters used in hero's name, which order, how many, etc.)

;) Probably just a random variable, incedently I heard that there was a way to rename characters in Dragon Warrior II and it's in a remake even.

To rename the prince and princess save your game and rest. Press continue to go to your files. Put your arrow next to the file you want to have their names changed and for the prince Hold left & Select & Start and then Press A. Then rename your character. For the Princess hold Right & Select & Start then Press A.

As far as I know this works only in the Gameboy Color version.

Indo: you that played DQ4 remake, was there a way to rename your characters as well in that game? Characters such as Ragnar, Alena, etc?

And as for other titles, was there any way to rename the other heroes? Can't really remember seeing this, but sometimes I feel that some of their names are... well... just don't seem heroic enough...

EDIT: As for the bag, I always renamed mine to "Bags" :D (Reference to Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books... if you haven't read that up yet, run to your local bookstore!!)

(Not edit) And not that I want to do topic necromancy, BUT ( :D :D :D ) I always found that Erdrick sounded much more heroic, mystical, stronger and any other words out there, than was Roto/Loto.

You can even rename the bag!

;) I'm always doing that, naming the bag childish names like Dump, Poop and such (Yes I know I'm a Childish Fool so yes...) and in Dragon Warrior VII something along the lines of Brains and Liver. Sheer randomness I know.

Guest Plattym3

;) I'm always doing that, naming the bag childish names like Dump, Poop and such (Yes I know I'm a Childish Fool so yes...) and in Dragon Warrior VII something along the lines of Brains and Liver. Sheer randomness I know.

The damn funniest name I did was on my Pokemon Ruby game, and now that I'm using it to upload Pokemon to my Diamond game, I'm reliving it again.

I named my trainer "an ass". So, when I blended records on my Ruby & Sapphire games, I'd watch TV and here about an ass did this and an ass did that. Now I'm trading over an ass's Pikachu or an ass's Squirtle. I can't stop laughing out loud when one of those gems appears on screen. The absolute best was when I was trading between the GBA games. The message "Would you like to trade with an ass?" would appear!

I have gotten Talint and Roz....and Bran and Illith.

Bran and Illith I thought, were really stupid names.

Put your most-hated translation name (Bran) and my favorite japanese name (Cookie) together, and we get an even stupider name :laugh:.

I named Terry in DW7 "Ass Hole" It makes for really funny dialogue, especially at the end of the game!

I named Terry in DW7 "Ass Hole" It makes for really funny dialogue, especially at the end of the game!

Hhahahahahaha I must see that.... never went through the end of DW7... I'm stuck somewhere soon after waking up teh ancient hero... for some reason, DW7 can't keep me playing too much time :/

;) If you have awakend Melvin or in the process of it then you should be able to go to Dharma and name your bag.

;) If you have awakend Melvin or in the process of it then you should be able to go to Dharma and name your bag.

Yes, I can do that.... althoug I never had interest on renaming the bag.... should do that for fun LOL...