Sign in to follow this  
NecroMalroth

Dragon Warrior: Apocrypha

I tried this out this evening and it looks like it was well on its way, so I hope that you will be able to recover your lost data when you test the drive on another computer.  I am currently playing two fangames already and one of those (Wonderslime's Begin a New Quest) has been out for quite some time now.  I will keep this demo and hopefully be able to get to the end someday.  Good luck!

Edited by foxfirenelli

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, folks.

Before anyone asks, I have not yet had the opportunity to try my thumb drive on a different PC.

So, the "secrets" of the game...  *Takes deep breath*

Part I was the demo.  Again, go play it if you haven't.

Part II would have been the Moonbrooke Region.  You would have tracked Prince Victor, Maeve, and Raegan to the "Northern" Road to Rhone (a new cave linking Moonbrooke and Rhone, which while referencing the original Road to Rhone from Dragon Warrior II, would not have been anywhere near as frustrating).  However, the cave has been sealed by order of the Queen of Moonbrooke, who is a much older Princess of Moonbrooke.  She agrees to give you permission to use the cave, but only after extracting one of her best warriors from the still-cursed Moonbrooke Castle.  This warrior being Diane.  While in Moonbrooke Castle, you would have met Decimus, another bad guy.  He would have used a recolored Ragnar sprite.  Decimus is the kind of guy who fancies himself a great warrior and general, but is in reality nothing more than a brute.  You extract Diane and return her to the Queen.  The Queen, sensing that your quest is of more importance than you realize, assigns Diane to help you.  *Cue Dragon Quest new party member jingle*

Part III would have been the Rhone Region.  Rhone has been taken over by the dwarves, so Rhone Castle is actually your base of operations here.  It was fun to redesign the castle to actually serve in that capacity.  While in Rhone, you learn that Victor, Maeve, and Raegan have broken into a nearby mine (a new dungeon) for some unknown purpose.  You go through the cave after them and finally catch up with them on the bottom floor.

This is where I was going to hit you with a bunch of big reveals all at once, and you'd see the true stakes of the game:

1.  What's at the bottom of the mine?  Well, Hargon wasn't a complete idiot.  Summoning a god of destruction whose only dialogue is "Raaaarrrrrrrggggghhh!" or whatever without some insurance is kinda dumb.  Turns out Hargon had a weapon capable of killing a god.  If Malroth ever turned him, he'd use it.  And the weapon was hidden at the bottom of this cave, which later became a mine for the dwarves.

2.  Why do Maeve and Raegan need the weapon?  To kill Rubiss.  They are of the opinion (perhaps correctly, perhaps incorrectly) that the line of Erdrick is only ever successful because of Rubiss' blessing.  Kill Rubiss, no more blessing.

3.  And why do Maeve and Raegan have it out for the line of Erdrick?  Here's where the true meaning of the game's title comes into play.  Out-of-universe, Apocrypha refers to the fact that this is a fangame, and thus not official.  In-universe?  We, as players, were introduced to the legend of Erdrick in Dragon Warrior I and Dragon Warrior II.  However, we then got to play as Erdrick in Dragon Warrior III...  and things didn't quite line up.  Depending on whether you played as male or female, the legends might have even gotten Erdrick's sex wrong.  But what always intrigued me was that "Erdrick" was not a name.  It was a title.  In fact, there was an entire Order of Erdrick.  So what happened to the rest of the Order?  True, a bunch probably died trying to fight Zoma, but there may have been some survivors.  And even if there weren't, there would have been widows, widowers, orphans, etc.  But... as time went on, and the legend of "Erdrick" began to take its final shape, those people got shoved to the side, and even persecuted.  "Your dad wasn't Erdrick!  What do you mean there was more than one?  You liar!"  And so on.  So they went either went underground or left Alefgard all-together.  Yup, Maeve, Raegan, and Decimus are the current descendants of the rest of the Order of Erdrick.  And they're resentful.  Very resentful.

4.  So how does Prince Victor fit into all this?  After all, your job for a while at this point has merely been to catch up to him and drag him home.  Turns out Osterfair (as least in my version of things) was founded by the remnants of the Order.  However, this particular group recognized that their resentment was poisoning them, and so they willingly forgot their past.  Hence the line by the journal's guardians:  We protect the present from the past.  Maeve and Raegan, seeking more allies in their quest for revenge, hoped to get Victor (and Osterfair itself) on their side by revealing this past.  But Victor, while something of an elitist, is still basically a good guy and not an idiot.  He knew the sisters were up to no good, and so pretended to go along with things until he could find out everything they were up to.

So, long story short, the Order gets the weapon and Victor joins the party.  However, the Order has to summon Rubiss first before they can kill her.  And what do you need to summon Rubiss?  Yup, the Crests.  Thus begins the next phase of the game:  Trying to beat the Order to the Crests.

And wow this post is getting superlong.  I think I'll stop here for now.  There's more.  Lots more.  But I'll get to it some other time.   :tounge2: