Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Dragon Quest: Timeless Lands (formerly DQ: No Man's Land)

;) Will there be different opening sequences depending on the class you pick or will it be the same regardless of class chosen?

It will pretty much be the same. There will be more to the opening than that, and the only thing I will say is that it will have shades of Lufia 1's prologue.

;) Ah, Alrighty then. Shades of Lufia 1 eh? Sounds interesting, I'll be looking out for more videos :)

Glad to see some life from the Dragon Warrior byond scene again. This game'll put everything I'm doing with Shadows of Erdrick to shame. Looking good man, definitely going to play this once it goes live.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I've noticed SoE was still around, although it's not nearly as busy as it used to, probably due to the CnDs Squeenix sent to BYOND about the 10,000 FFL spinoffs around (boy I'm glad I wasn't around when that happened). Doesn't seem like they've voiced any concerns over DQ games, though...

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

;) Square Enix doesn't seem to care much about Dragon Quest like they do their Final Fanatasy Lightning Love it would seem.

• Upvote 1

Here's a THING:

Had been a tad bit more busy with that estranged concept that is life outside of the internets. And I've tried to polish a few things already in motion in the game's code. Also, Fozz finished up the sprites of the classes we'll use in the game, as well as their female counterparts. And the Minstrel's sprite has been reworked completely.

For the next few days, I'll be working on the inventory/equipment HUDs and interaction. Here's a rundown of my plan, and the order I'll take:

- Items/Equipment framework (HUDs, interaction, usage, equip)

- Status HUDs updates in relation to equipment

- Treasure Chests and search function

- Doors and keys

- Overworld spells

- Combat system

As usual, no ETAs, as ETAs mean stress, and stress drains motivation. Anyone ever wondered why hobbyist projects fall apart most of the time? That equation is the answer.

Screens of the new sprites:

SnwILfZ.png5Krp2FW.png

vj5MEi7.png

I see a distinct lack of Goof off... :(

;) Nice looking sprites there man, and yes, I agree that Deadlines Suck big time!

;) Nice looking sprites there man, and yes, I agree that Deadlines Suck big time!

Tell me about it. And that tends to happen increasingly the larger your audience becomes, turning a portion of your fandom into this.

I see a distinct lack of Goof off... :(

The Goof-Off is replaced by the Minstrel in later installments, and to be honest, he is more useful than the Goof-Off.

With that said, we could always implement something similar to the random moves they were doing as an option, but I wouldn't make it something that you can't control, as the Minstrel is my startup jack of all stats, so to speak.

The Goof-Off is replaced by the Minstrel in later installments, and to be honest, he is more useful than the Goof-Off.

;):up: THIS! All the Goof-Off/Jester Class was really good for was getting an easy Sage at Level 20, and even then there's a better way to go about it that yields are more powerful Sage. Though it involves a good number of hours of grinding. (And the remakes add a second Book of Satori to make two sages.)

;):up: THIS! All the Goof-Off/Jester Class was really good for was getting an easy Sage at Level 20, and even then there's a better way to go about it that yields are more powerful Sage. Though it involves a good number of hours of grinding. (And the remakes add a second Book of Satori to make two sages.)

Well you could also farm Blue Beaks for the rest of your life, but who wants to do that? :P

;) Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, when really you'd only need like one or two Sages at most. Even then having TWO of them in your party would just be over kill at that point.

I like goof offs for the random effects you can get. Random critical trip hit, random defense/speed up/down, and defense-ignoring random attacks.

Also, SoE made goofs my favorite class ever by giving them a lot of beneficial random distract moves that could cripple bosses (but on same side of coin ,they could cost you a round via pinching or enlightening). They also gave them the best critical gains in the game (despite low strength).  I like a gambler-sort of class like that.

Another fan game even had them randomly heal/hurt the party (juggling potions for instance).

I suppose the last two paragraphs are more geared towards fangames than official games, but the games did make me appreciate goofs enough to actually one with a wizard on the Super famicom version of the game (started with wiz, then went goof and made it my main char).

;) I was never a big fan of chance related things myself, mainly cause my luck always blew chunks.

Observatory is up on youtube: 

Thanks. One of our friends made one for us as well, as well as some other tunes, such as the one I'll post in a sec. We'll see which one we'll use.

BGM of the moment:

;) Nice job making those 8-Bit Covers guys. Can't wait to see some more show case videos :D

More mapping has been done, courtesy of my good friend Fozzbozz.

I've been busy on my end, and hopefully I'll get the items/equipment thing done soon.

;) Looks like you used the Dragon Quest VI layout for Dharma Temple aka Alltrades Abby nice job Miles :thumbsup:

Yo everyone!

Just thought I'd quickly let you know what's going on. I'm taking a small break these days as there are matters I need to attend. I'd rather not discuss those, but rest assured that I'll keep on working on this. I haven't recoded the damn thing from scratch for nothing! :D

Yay, I actually made it short! :D But seriously, it's just until I take care of what I need to. Nothing bad, just a bunch of stuff that both came up and piled up, really.

I'll keep you all in the loop.

Hello all,

Development of the game will resume within the next 30 days, most likely sooner than later.

Long story short, major health issues came up and kept me away. But that has all been taken care of.

I'll just need to get accustomed to my code again, and we'll get this damn game running! :D

Yay! Looking forward to it.

Need any more NESified music?

We should be fine in terms of media. Now I just need to develop the base further.

Also, I think I didn't post that before:

Edited by Marth.sk