Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Dragon Quest: Timeless Lands (formerly DQ: No Man's Land)

;) Oh man, I've been looking forward to your videos for a bit now, I can't wait to see your game start menu

Speaking of remade themes...

Mind you, this is the first time ever I'm composing something on Fruity Loops. I went by ear. Had to listen a lot to the Game Boy version to replicate some of its patterns.

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

That sounds really good!

What plugin did you use? I've been using the "Fruity Soundfont Player" with a famicom soundfont.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I've been using the YMCK Magical 8-bit plugin. Best thing since sliced bread, let me tell ya! :D

Does this mean it won't be a multiplayer game upon completion? Because I was kind of hoping for that.

Oh it will be. It will actually both. Why go for one model when you can implement both in the same game? :)

Oh it will be. It will actually both. Why go for one model when you can implement both in the same game? :)

;) Smart Move on your part man, this way you won't ailenate any potential players who like a Multiplayer Experience nor the ones who only want to play by themselves.

Oh no, now my own game decided to pull that off!!!

Using those HUDs for the adventure logs alongside the all-in-one saving lib I was using was HELL! >.<
Finally got it to work. And now my saves don't weight a ton as a result! :D

Also updated the offline preview. Go back to page 1 for the link.

Sweet!

;) Looking pretty good man, out of curiosity, will there be class changing at the Shrine of Dhama/Alltrades Abbey?

Of course. It will pretty much work the same as in DQ9, meaning you'll have your own level and stats set for each class, plus certain abilities you'll keep with a class rank similar to DQ6's.

Does the world map music change throughout the story?

Most likely will. Nothing is set in stone, but my idea is that it does. When? Depends on how we play the whole story out.

Cool. I was going to suggest (if it didn't change due to story events) that the theme was different depending on what class your main character/whoever's first in the party is, kind of like DQ4's 5th/6th chapters.

;) Awesome stuff, I'm guessing that each class will yield certain skills and benefits via Class Level as you mentioned, like DQ VI and VII. Does this also mean an Overall Character Level will also be displayed in the Status Window?

Each class will have its levelups, à la DQ9. For instance, if you're a level 43 Warrior, and decide to switch to Priest, you'll go back to level 1 for your priest. If, along the way, you switch back to your Warrior, you'll go back to your level 43 warrior.

Class ranks will be attributed with how well you fare with your class. You'll get rank points from battles that are deemed meaningful. Therefore, you won't get rank points from, say, metal hunting, because we all know that's the easy way of powerleveling. But if you take on enemies that are within your level range, or that are stronger than you are, then you'll earn rank points.

Your regular class skills will be earned via levels. Skills that you will keep regardless of classes are earned via class ranks.

On a sidenote, I updated the offline preview. Fixed a few things that got broken along the way, namely how NPCs reacted when talked to (they would just freeze there after being talked to, rather than go back to whatever they were doing).

;) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so it's like a hybrid of DQ IX's and DQ VI's class leveling systems. Interesting stuff man, I'm liking a lot.

And this is legal????? To play a game for free that belongs to another company that sounds like a lawsuit right there haha

Oh also dq9 all quests code messed up my game I need someone to make a reset code for extra quests before may 20th and give me enough time to get stella and get the quests f you don't succeed I need a ar code to reset al quests back too ??? I cant do it my self I tried everything save editor and I only have the ar code package nothing to connect it so I need someone to make the code thanks to anyone who can make it post and send it to me please

Umm, you didn't need to hijack my topic with your irrelevant retort just because you're desperately looking for AR codes.

With that sort of attitude, I certainly won't be inclined to help!

Well, now- a fabulous job you're doing here, Mr. Edgeworth! I for one am proud that a humble dragon quest fan prosecutor such as yourself has discovered the gumption to create something truly inspired for himself and for his fellow dragon's den compatriots. A true testament to your interest in the series, and a jolly good tribute to boot. But, do be careful old boy; I've heard that Perry Mason seeks action replay codes as well. ;)

Edited by robotnikthedrak

Thanks for the kind words! :D

Of all people, I think Mason would rather google them than Nelson Muntz a thread, only to go "AR CODEZ PLZ PLZ PLZ" right after. So I'm not all too worried.

Plus, if there's no money involved, Squeen won't lift a finger; they only do when there is. Some people could argue that they acted upon that Chrono Trigger remake some folks were working on, but they acted upon that because it could've meant a loss of revenue, especially if they had plans to tie up loose ends in the story arc. I doubt they will act on an 8-bit rendition of how one perceives their game to be. Worst they'll do is ask BYOND not to publish it on their hub, which I don't really care about. :P

I just thought the kid was... rude.

Sorry about my last post I didn't mean it like that I just thought sorry about that

It seems he's relatively new to the forum "environment". Don't be so harsh on him, just remind him of the rules. Of course, if he continues to act like that then we'll have a problem.