Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Dragon Quest: Timeless Lands (formerly DQ: No Man's Land)

Sorry for the late reply, I usually don't have internet access on the weekends.

Hey Erdrick, mind telling me where you found the Enix font? Tried Googling for "Enix font", but they give me the Squeenix one.

Hoo boy, I'll have to look around. It's not actually the Enix font, it's just  very similar. (well, the E and the I were taken from the Enix logo, as well as the cursive e, but the rest of the font is different.) I had to make the letters bolder and re ove s me d ta l (remove some details) from the font I downloaded in photoshop to get the look I wanted. I think I have the files on a backup of the computer I was using when I made the logo, but the font may not be there (I know I have the images though, in PNG and PSD form). Sadly, I've had to wipe that hard drive since, so if the font is not in my backup, I'll have to find it again online. But when I have it, I'd be glad to go through the same process to make any logos you need with the font. It doesn't take too long. (But it's very specific to get the right look.)

X8BJmAU.png

Orgodemir (DQ7)

OMGWTF EPIC!!! (Though it's a tad dark - can you edit the pallet?)

;) I thought it looked fairly nice as is but if he decides to brighten the palette a bit I suggest a lighter shade of Green or you could use Brown which was the color his initial battle form had.

Well the colors are not set in stone yet. There's still much to do.

Also:

We've now got that little HUD that appears when idle for a few seconds. Also, some more dungeon exploring.

;) Looking pretty good man, oh I made a few monster recolors a few years back and if you want feel free to use them :D

This gives me warm and fuzzies. How do you do your 8 bit graphics? Any suggestions? I want to do something similar for some of the newer enemies.

Lookin' Good!

I didn't have that font anymore D:

But I found another one very similar that will do the job. Would you like me to 'shop up a logo or something for you? Or did you just want a link to the font?

I just remembered an upload of mine from a couple of months ago, you may use it if you need/want it. (No need to rip from youtube, if you want it I will send you the full quality "master".)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

;) Nice piece there Erdrick. :thumbsup: almost reminds me a little bit of Earthbound Zero/Mother 1 for some reason.

As for the font, I'll just need the link to the font. I have my friend who's working with me on the project who will take care of the splash screen, so I'll forward that over to him.

The NES rendition is good, I must admit. One I'd be looking for is DQ9's observatory (Angelic Land, I believe it's called). Couldn't find any midi for it, so I can't use my usual method. Plus, all the DQ9 midis that are rippable from the ROM have those echoing tracks, which make the DQ9 original midis sound like there's way too much stuff in there when parsed by the soundfont.

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

Haven't got much done system-wise as I'm waiting for my friend to enter all the spells/skills definition in the code (hey, he likes doing that, so who am I to stop him? :P ). But I did continue a bit of the original remapping.

Small tour of Razel, the ghost town

Hm, are you the creator of Dragon Warrior Legends on BYOND? Some of the gameplay shown in these videos makes me thin kit may be, since there were wild Michael Jacksons (in Nara's icon) around too.

I hope this game with let you party with others too, as that is one thing Legends lacked (whether or not it was yours, multiplayer on online really demands partying somehow.

Nah, the game was called Dragon Quest: No Man's Land back in 2007. It has been played by a few people back then (while still in the 10 fps era), and a lot of them saw the admin-triggered Michael battles. So the idea may have caught up with Ivor (who was the creator of the first DWLegends hub entry) or the guys at Revelation Gaming.

The Michael thing was heavily inspired by the Michael Quest flash movies on Albino Blacksheep (which I enjoyed tremendously). Hell, the fight even had the Romancing Saga 1 (SNES) boss battle theme as a shoutout to the Michael Forever flash.

So no, I'm not the creator of DWL, nor any of his inspirations. Actually, you may remember me as the then-trigger-happy "nazi GM from hell" known as Mart. Rest assured things have changed with time. :D

Matter of fact, I have an entirely different approach with how the game will be moderated. Instead of flat-out bans, the players will simply have their multi-player features (such as all forms of chat, partying with other players [partying with characters from Patty's pub won't be impacted], etc.) taken away. The player will still be able to play the game just fine, except he won't be able to interact with others. That can be lifted, of course, after discussing with the offending player. Bans will only be for cases where the isolation process would not be able to contain the problems caused by a given player. And in such cases, we'll also ensure the method used by the offending player is "patched" so we don't have to ban again for those reasons. I'd like to ensure banning is used as least as possible.

But yeah, I'm definitely not new to BYOND.

;) I'm liking everything you've done with your game so far man :D keep up the good work Mr. Edgeworth :thumbsup:

Screenshots, we need.

;) I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have some 8-bit recolors of monster sprites thus I thought I'd show them off and see what you think of them. As I said before if you like them and want to use them, feel free to do so :)

Dragon_Quest_III_Enemy_Repaint_by_xVietn

Sprite_Repaints_2_by_xVietnamWarx.png

Sprite_Repaints_3_by_xVietnamWarx.png

Sprite_repaints_4_by_xVietnamWarx.png

As for the font, I'll just need the link to the font. I have my friend who's working with me on the project who will take care of the splash screen, so I'll forward that over to him.

The NES rendition is good, I must admit. One I'd be looking for is DQ9's observatory (Angelic Land, I believe it's called). Couldn't find any midi for it, so I can't use my usual method. Plus, all the DQ9 midis that are rippable from the ROM have those echoing tracks, which make the DQ9 original midis sound like there's way too much stuff in there when parsed by the soundfont.

I'll do the observatory theme for you. Give me a couple days.

Greetings people! I'm the other half of the DQ:TL Team! (or should I say 1/4 of the team, because really, Edgeworth is doing all the dirty work.)

Right now Edgeworth can't post here, so I'll be his messenger:

(Edit: Man 7 years ago my name made sense... Things have changed around here!)

--------

Sorry, my forum access went back to "Validating" when I changed my e-mail, Woodus will most likely change it when he'll get my e-mail.

Meanwhile, here's a playable preview of the game.

You'll need to have BYOND installed, which can be found, of course, at http://www.byond.com/download/.

Once you have BYOND installed, you won't need to make a key to try this offline preview. You will need a key in the future to play the full online version. We do plan to have a standalone version, but it most definitely will not contain all features that the online version will have. But for the time being, just install the BYOND suite (don't worry, it has no crapware bundled into it, just what's required to run BYOND executables, host games, and code your own games, if you choose to do so).

Once you have it installed, unzip the zip file to a location of your choosing. Just ensure the folder in which the DMB and RSC files are located into is called "DQTL". Then, double-click on the DQTL.dmb file. The game will run.

What NOT to expect in this build:

- Fully functional menus

- Battle system

- Well, whatever the full game will have. It's a preview, and it's only as far as what I have built in it.

Have fun!

Edited by or DJ FozzBozz

@Miles: Sorry your account is "validating" again. That's weird. Woodus is usually pretty quick to fix things though, so hopefully you'll be back up soon.

@ or DJ FozzBozz: Nice to meet you! Welcome to the Den!

I don't have time to try out the game tonight, as I'm about to go to bed, but I did get started on the Observatory theme. Turns out, the track doesn't really sound the same at all without the echoes. BUT the good news is that the track would have fit within the NES's limits with those echoes, as crescendos (and conversely, diminuendos) were possible, albeit rare, on the NES/Famicom's sound hardware, even without the use of special on-cart hardware. An example can even be found in Dragon Warrior IV's battle theme (the dun-duh-duh-dun part of the track, that builds up to the more "exciting" part - I don't know what to call these, sorry). Unfortunately, although possible, the pitch change part of the track becomes very high with the change to a triangle wave, and may cause bleeding ears. (LOL not literally. But it's definitely not pleasant.) So I have some more editing to do before I can send it off to you guys.

Good luck!

;) Welcome to the Den DJ, hope you enjoy your time here and hey you guys have an awesome thing going here. :thumbsup:

Finally, the account glitch has been taken care of.

Thanks Fozz for passing my message on! And screw that 1/4 thing, I just do the coding, we come up with ideas and concepts both. :D

The playable demo isn't much for now, but I figured it would keep you guys a tiny tad bit busy while we're working on this.

Erdrick: Wow, that's great news! I wasn't exactly asking for you to actually compose the song, but if that's something you enjoy doing, we'll gladly take any help we can. We can't really repay you guys for that, though, except by releasing a full version eventually (and as for moderation powers [which is how seemingly most BYOND game devs seem to "reward" contributors], it's more of a curse than a gift, let me tell you first hand...). But if anyone feels like contributing, we'll take it for sure. You'll be credited for the work, obviously. That's the least we can do.

Slime Master: Looking good. Just wondering, would you happen to have those at their original resolution? Like this one for Nokturnus, for instance?

I5qRRZk.png

The game's resolution is 480x480, with each tile being 32 pixels. So what we're looking for is the original resolution. We then take care of the resampling for 32x32 (which is a straight up x2 from the original size, really, as a tile is 16 pixels, originally). If you happen to have 'em in their original resolution, it would be grand.

I appreciate your praise, but really, I'm not composing them at all. I'm just opening MIDIs in FL Studio, deleting any tracks I don't need, changing the instruments to the Famicom soundfont, tweaking where needed, then exporting. Then in Audacity I mix it down to a monaural track, and if needed find/create loop points and export as .OGG.

Honestly, I'm cheating a little bit with this track - Normally I wouldn't do this, but it just doesn't work without significant rewrites of entire portions of the track: I'm allowing the chords to stay. Normally I wouldn't, as The NES only had two square waves, and the Dragon Warrior/Quest games always reserved one of those square waves for sound effects. (The first 4 DW games only used a square wave and the triangle wave for their music.) But, this is a special track that doesn't really work at all without the chords. And technically, this track would fit within the NES's two-square-wave limit, it's just the sound effects would have clipped out the music during this track, much like what happens often with the GBC DW games. Anyways, I think Sugiyama actually used chords in some of the NES music, and they found a way to fake it with one square wave. This just sounds a bit different.

What file format do you need the final track to be in? Normally I'd use .OGG, but this track doesn't have an intro, so we could get away with using another format, depending on what your engine needs.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Well as far as NES "authenticity" goes, I wouldn't have a problem with the tracks being MMC5-style (the MMC5 chip on some Famicom games basically adds two extra square tracks, but I'm sure you knew that).

And hey, you know how to work with FL, that's already more than what I can do. So "cheat" all you want! :D

I use .ogg for my tracks. However, BYOND's FMOD implementation doesn't seem to be able to act upon metadata stored into ogg files. So I basically have to split the intro from the loop, and queue them in the same channel code-wise (BYOND has 8 channels for its "sound()" proc), leaving the loop to repeat until another BGM is required to play, or until I decide to stop the sound from that specific channel. So if there is an intro, just split it off from the track itself instead of going for loop metadata. 

I use .ogg for my tracks. However, BYOND's FMOD implementation doesn't seem to be able to act upon metadata stored into ogg files. So I basically have to split the intro from the loop, and queue them in the same channel code-wise (BYOND has 8 channels for its "sound()" proc), leaving the loop to repeat until another BGM is required to play, or until I decide to stop the sound from that specific channel. So if there is an intro, just split it off from the track itself instead of going for loop metadata. 

That is random. Why would they even bother implementing .OGG if there is no metadata support? Oh well. PM me your email address and I will send you the current version of the track. (I need your feedback before I call it the "final" version.)

While we did get help for some stuff by a few of you, we also got some help from a friend of ours who reworked some of our current tunes thru FL (which seems to be the de facto way to go, judging on how most people here use it, and after we saw what he did, and how he did it).

So here'a a small clip with the new Fortelms theme, a redone version of the world map theme (clearer notes, subtle changes in the lead square), and stuff that will most likely be added in as a bonus.

Plus, I found a way to distribute the game via the standard EXE way without resorting to BYOND's BYONDEXE method (which they charge 100$ for). I'll use my method when I'll release the next preview. And before I get asked, no, I don't know when exactly I'll release it. But it shouldn't take years either! :P

Next item to work on, and that will most likely be shown off: Adventure Log selection screen, NES-style.

SO MUCH MORE AUTHENTIC MUSIC!!! I love it. I need to try out the demo tomorrow. (Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet.)

BTW, I've changed the URL for the offline preview binaries: http://bit.ly/1lBGV0I

I've added it to the first page of the thread, along with the Youtube channel link.