Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Dragon Quest: Timeless Lands (formerly DQ: No Man's Land)

I played it through the whole thing once, I'm not doing it again unless theres something new to see, is there anything new?

For those who are wondering, this game is NOT dead!

I had to take a hiatus because of crazy shifts at work, but I've been working on it steadily lately. More info can be found on the game's official site, as shown in my signature.

When I'll get spare time, I'll make new videos to show how the game progressed thus far.

Probably, this is usually what happens to DW games on byond. They have this tendency to die off. You see, I would like to make a switch off with games I'd rather see die (Shadows of Erdrick) to keep the good ones D:. Come play Hero's Destiny, one of the longest running games in the making :P (if you consider all of its predecessors).

Whoa hold on there, buddy, did I just bump a REALLY old thread? I think I did, as a matter of fact. Talk about necroing in a big way!

It's been a while since I've worked on this, and truth be told, I was lost and confused within the whole code. So I started the whole thing from scratch so I could take advantage of the new features that BYOND now offers (60 FPS GOOOOOOOOO!). And of course, it gave me a great opportunity to redo some systems a lot better than they were. But that's always the challenge when you go back to developping: outdoing yourself.

So it no longer is called No Man's Land. I thought that title was just rushed out of nowhere. Me and JP decided to call it Timeless Lands. It will be a tad bit more appropriate to the plot at hand. :)

Here, have some relevant vids!

-

Under the old engine with the new BYOND. That didn't work out as well as I would've liked.

-

Under the new engine, using the new BYOND. And with 8-bitized songs (in ogg format, if you're wondering) to boot!

-

What I just spent the whole night on: HUDs, getting people to talk.

jrbBFMl.jpg

Oh, and you has a map now! :)

Edited by Miles Edgeworth
  • Upvote 1

Cool. Is it playable?

The old version I have, which is showcased in the first video, was playable, but with the code's way outdated for the newer features of BYOND (which I'd be crazy not taking advantage of). But at this rate, I should be up to par with what I did back in the days shortly.

;):whoa: Sounds like you made some serious improvements in the seven years or so since you made this thread. That map looks awesome :thumbsup:

Well, send me a PM when it's up, I'll find a USB keyboard and fire up the 'ol Byond.

Use glovepie and map a wiimote or some other controller to the keyboard.

Don't own a Wiimote. I'll just stick with a USB. :P

No other controllers? At all?

i HAVE A 360 controller but seriously, Byond is numpad. I'll just work with what I got.

Okay... Seems like a pain but whatever.

Hey Erdrick, mind telling me where you found the Enix font? Tried Googling for "Enix font", but they give me the Squeenix one.

Also,

Guided tour of Fortelms, the leaderless mercenaries' capital. Minus the mercenaries...

Wow! This looks neat. Love the soundtrack too! Did you use a Midi-Soundfont conversion or did you compose these yourself?

;) I watched a good number of your videos yesterday and man does your game look like it was made by Enix themselves back in the NES Days :laugh: I notice a lot of Dragon Quest V music in the game as well. Are you planning to add 8 Bit versions of the monsters from that game?

Wow! This looks neat. Love the soundtrack too! Did you use a Midi-Soundfont conversion or did you compose these yourself?

For some, I did use a soundfont (I believe famicon.sf2) thru VLC playback, and recorded it with Audacity in OGG format. That loops wonderfully throughout BYOND's FMOD implementation. I also used Famitracker to alter the pitch of certain NES tracks, and recorded it in OGG format with Audacity.

I wish I was proficient enough with musical tools to compose my own chiptunes, though.

;) I watched a good number of your videos yesterday and man does your game look like it was made by Enix themselves back in the NES Days :laugh: I notice a lot of Dragon Quest V music in the game as well. Are you planning to add 8 Bit versions of the monsters from that game?

I tried my best in 8-bitizing monsters from DQ5 and 6. I can tell you Murdaw will be in as a "checkpoint" boss, if you will, in a similar setup as in DQ6. I definitely plan to have Norturnus as a bonus boss too.

;) Can't wait to see how they look in game :thumbsup: Are you going to post a video of any battles just to show off how they look?

I definitely will when I get around the combat system.

Meanwhile, here's one I've just made, as I got done with the basic status HUD. Items and equipment will be next.

Oh, and the equipment shown in the status HUD are just placeholder pieces, to show what it'll look like. As you can see, the HUD has been influenced by DQ3r (for style) and DQ9 (for stats and equipment piece types).

I love this great job! I love how you're keeping the classic theme while I'm doing quite the opposite. I look forward to this.

;) Looking pretty good so far man, can't wait to see more updates.

While I'm working on the item system...

Here's a tiny bonus on what MIGHT be involved throughout the game's plot.

The old-school NESers will recognize that immediately.

Here are also a few featured "8-bitized" monsters

5tii4rl.png

Murdaw (DQ6)

4UwFVTG.png

Straight from Namek, the cyrilleet-speaking Grandmaster Nimzo (DQ5)

X8BJmAU.png

Orgodemir (DQ7)

uHHrBHB.png

Metal Slime Knight

3U2os8Z.png

That guy from the legendary Michael Quest 3 flash from Albino Blacksheep.
  • Upvote 1

;) Oh man those 8-Bit Bosses look EPIC! Also, I think I smell a running Gag with the King of Pop there.