Dragon Quest: Timeless Lands (formerly DQ: No Man's Land)

marthsk

;):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Command?

The battles look awesome - just like a Dragon Warrior game! (For once) Also, you used the Dragon Warrior 7 battle theme...I'll actually have the volume ON while playing your game! By the way, are those actual mobs, or are they just to showcase the enemy encounters?

The mobs you see in the video are actual mobs, with their stats already defined (I had to define those first prior to building the actual system that's gonna process those stats). And I didn't even have to use DM's proprietary DMI format for icons; I let the game handle PNGs of the monsters (which we re-ripped ourselves, for better format control) and parse them internally. Result: ressource file is MUCH MUCH LIGHTER! :D

And thanks to Culix's advice, I learned how to get music looping properly with Fruity Loops. So no, you won't get any stupid silent gap while the midi file loops, nor any fadeout because the original author of this or that mid file didn't make it loop.

My main objective with this project is to make it look as close to the real deal as possible, and I won't stop until I get that result.

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

I got back into looking at the DM code for BYOND game programming a little bit the past few days. It can be pretty painful at times, especially since there isn't any tutorials on DW-type battle systems or any topics in the forums about such. Either that or I haven't come across any. I tried to do a little programming myself, so far I have Worldsay working and I have a view maps and stuff, I doubt we'll go anywhere with it since we have such a huge lack of resource to help us get ideas for programming towards such, but I mean, atleast all of our icons are done and we have maps built, even if none of them have events yet. We also have a few statpanels so far too, and I guess a login system even though it doesn't work that well.

The good part is I can look at existing code and see bugs easily and glitches that others may abuse. Basically, I'm getting my mentality built up to be able to help you guys, I'm determined. This is something I definitely would like to be a part of. I'm also curious to know exactly how you actually get alot of this stuff to work in BYOND. I'm to a point where I can see code and know what it does, but I can't "start" a code, I can take a code and edit it and know what I wanna do with it and I can add to it, but I can't start it. Which this is already started so that makes it perfect.

Guest DJ FozzBozz
I got back into looking at the DM code for BYOND game programming a little bit the past few days. It can be pretty painful at times, especially since there isn't any tutorials on DW-type battle systems or any topics in the forums about such. Either that or I haven't come across any. I tried to do a little programming myself, so far I have Worldsay working and I have a view maps and stuff, I doubt we'll go anywhere with it since we have such a huge lack of resource to help us get ideas for programming towards such, but I mean, atleast all of our icons are done and we have maps built, even if none of them have events yet. We also have a few statpanels so far too, and I guess a login system even though it doesn't work that well.

The good part is I can look at existing code and see bugs easily and glitches that others may abuse. Basically, I'm getting my mentality built up to be able to help you guys, I'm determined. This is something I definitely would like to be a part of. I'm also curious to know exactly how you actually get alot of this stuff to work in BYOND. I'm to a point where I can see code and know what it does, but I can't "start" a code, I can take a code and edit it and know what I wanna do with it and I can add to it, but I can't start it. Which this is already started so that makes it perfect.

We really can't give you an answer right away. As of right now, Miles and I really wanna stay in control of development (we know each other in real life, so it's easier to talk and plan stuff).

It'll stay that way for a while, at least at the beginning. We've got ideas for 1 or 2 moderators too. So right now, we're complete, but if the game becomes something big, we might need some help.

But thanks for the offer! We'll keep you in mind if we need help in the future!

Edited by DJ FozzBozz

Well... I guess I could still try my own thing with this, even though I'll more than likely end up nowhere towards anything close to what you guy have come up with.

It would be really nice to have my own programming language, that way I'd already know it lol.

Well, I mean I know the DM language, I just don't know how to get it to do things that would be DW-like. The first person to figure this out must've been a genius, and like I said I'm so limited in my resources its not even funny. There is so little on DW systems.

Guest DJ FozzBozz

I made a mistake. We don't have any mods right now, but we won't be choosing anyone right now. We will build a little team of mods as the game gets popular.

As for coding, well Miles wants to work alone on this, and I completely understand his point of view. We've had problems before with new people working on established games. So sorry, the development team is complete for now

Yeah like I've already said, I'm okay with that. If you do need a moderator, I'll give it my best. As for the code I'll keep working with what I have of my own systems, I'm getting... somewhere... and slowly.

This is it! The battle system of Dragon Quest: No Man's Land!

Now here's some Q&A in order to try to cover the obvious:

Q- How come we hear beeps out of nowhere?

A- That's stuff I haven't fixed yet, will be on the public test run.

Q- How come some of the HUD's messed?

A- This happens with a lot of BYOND HUD-based games that need to refresh client.screen often.

Q- How come your guy levels up so quickly?

A- Well, for one, I'll need to balance leveling. For two, he's alone against hordes of monsters. That's gonna be balanced as well.

Q- How come you don't just run from battles?

A- I haven't coded anything aside from the FIGHT command. Wanted the core to be done before I touch anything else.

Q- How come the text isn't exactly like the NES battle HUD?

A- I'll need to find a way to calculate how many lines a text string will take so I can order lines accordingly. Until then, it'll stay that way.

Q- What's this "Waiting for others..." line about?

A- Since it's a MMORPG on BYOND, I figured this message was required when in parties with other people.

Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcpmyleO_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nMfspe2nM

• 3 weeks later...

DRAGON QUEST: NO MAN'S LAND PUBLIC PREVIEW!!!

For those already interested in my project, here is the link to its BYOND hub entry. The server will be left up all weekend, since I'll be out of town, and will only come back sunday evening to see how much you guys screwed my game up! :)

To play this game, you need to download the BYOND suite, which includes the BYOND client (http://www.byond.com)

IMPORTANT: HOW TO USE THE BYOND CLIENT

Keymapping on the numeric keypad (without numlock on) goes as follows:

5 = Action button (menu, command select)

7 = Cancel button (NES' B button)

8 = up

2 = down

4 = left

6 = right

To communicate:

1- Social panel, click on the WorldSay verb

2- Type "wo" along with your text in the pink bar at the bottom

EDIT: MPerry and myself tried the game, and there are still a couple of bugs which made the game unplayable. However, it all seems to be fixed now, so I've put the server back online.

Hey MPerry, I found the bug:

There's a proc that controls how party followers react when the leader walks. I accidentally left out in that part of the code a reference to call the battle script even though you're a follower. However, only the party leader should be able to call the battle script. I fixed it, was simply an 'if' that I didn't close tight enough in the first place.

Dude, your game looks sweet! I'm still trying to get Byond to work, but once I do get on I'll find bugs as well. :wd_coolslime:

Whoa hey, it's Mettool. Havent seen that guy in a while.

Anyways, i've been keeping an eye on this project for a while. I've been using BYOND a very long time (I used to be the host and one of the developers of FF - The Hunting Grounds. I left because of administration conflicts.)

I've given your game a try, and I can definitely sayt his : This is one of the best games i've ever played on BYOND. There's a huge amount of effort put into this project, and it really shows. For years, you might remember the development of Dragon Warrior Online version 1.9, which was a highly anticipated project. This game has surpassed DWO in almost every possible way.

BYOND has been suffering for a while now, but I believe this project will breathe life into it. Youve really made something incredible, and i'm looking forward to it's completion :thumbsup:

I think the only major thing that needs work right now is class Balance. A soldier having 70 HP at Level 4 dosent seem quite right, and being able to solo everything seems to make partying a bit questionable

Edited by Mettool

Well I dunno, I went to the hub entry and there doesn't seem to be any "join" link, so I'm taking it that it's not online rite now, I'll check back later.

Sorry... There was a power outage while I was at work...

Server's back up now.

Any way I could make you guys maps?! Cause christ I want a piece of action since all I can do so far is watch the youtube vids. Byond doesn't work for me when it says a number password is being emialed to me for confermation...

Check your PMs, Culix. I fixed something for ya!

• 2 weeks later...

*** PUBLIC SESSION NOW BEING HOSTED ***

I'll be hosting the game for the next few days. I haven't had time to do a whole lot of stuff, but that will come soon. I'll be on vacation starting june 21st, so I'll be able to get working on stuff I should've started working on ages ago! :D

For those who haven't tried it, here's a good opportunity. And for those who did, welcome back!

Enjoy for the time being, folks!

Yeah, expect that to happen often during test sessions.

Once the game reaches a stable enough state, I'll leave a server on as the main, where savefiles will be kept.