Square Enix President Discusses Draqon Quest

Leaf

President of one of the most successful video game companies, Yoichi Wada of Square Enix, recently spoke in the Japan's Nikkei BP on the company's intentions for the upcoming Dragon Quest for DS and the future of the series.

According to IGN, Wada emphasised the need to develop for what's currently hot in the market. The DS, an incredible success in Japan, lead the developer to create the upcoming Dragon Quest chapter for Nintendo's portable, as opposed to its traditional home console roots.

However, "following portable machines, we see the market for the PlayStation 3 and other next generation consoles taking off, so we will develop for that."

The future of the series is undecided with the company seeing how the DS iteration works out before making any decisions on the sequel to the sequel. Whether or not the DS will remain the primary platform for Dragon Quest is still uncertain.

To end, Wada summed up his beliefs on the future of gaming: "I believe casual gamers will go to the Wii, DS, or even PSP while those who want to have a fuller experience will go to the PS3 and Xbox 360."

- http://www.cubed3.com/news/6800/1/Square_E...es_Draqon_Quest

Hmm... All I get from this is:

A) DQ IX is only on the DS because, as it stands, it will sell the most there (as opposed to gameplay reasons)

B) Square-Enix will be supporting all next consoles but mostly the PS3 (I'm just speculating from the way he chose to specify PS3)

C) Wii/ DS consist mainly of shallow, bitesize non-games.

Youichi Wada shed some light on his company's platform strategy for 2007 and beyond. Asked about why the next main series installment of Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest IX, will appear on the Nintendo DS, Wada said the timing seemed right, given the handheld's installed base. At the same time, the Square Enix president said this does not mean Dragon Quest X will automatically be DS-bound as well. As for future Dragon Quest releases, no decisions have been made beyond Dragon Quest IX coming to DS, and Dragon Quest Sword coming to the Wii. A key objective of recent and future Dragon Quest releases is capturing a wider audience. In addition to the series' longtime fans, Wada also wants to target younger audiences. Wada believes kids who pick up their first Dragon Quest game as early as possible are likely to become the loyal Dragon Quest fans of tomorrow. A concrete example of this strategy is the popular TV toy, Kenshin Dragon Quest, which the company released in 2003. With the upcoming Wii title, Dragon Quest Sword, Square Enix will will try to repeat Kenshin's success.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada discussed his company’s plan of attack when it comes to next, and current gen systems. Mr. Wada stated that Square Enix watched the market to see what hardware was really selling well. That is why they decided to make so many games for the DS, Dragon Quest IX included. They plan to keep an eye on the console race to see where that takes them. Mr. Wada expects next-gen install bases to grow, and when it does, Square Enix will be there to support those systems depending on how well they sold.

Money is all that matters... :devil:

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada discussed his company’s plan of attack when it comes to next, and current gen systems. Mr. Wada stated that Square Enix watched the market to see what hardware was really selling well. That is why they decided to make so many games for the DS, Dragon Quest IX included. They plan to keep an eye on the console race to see where that takes them. Mr. Wada expects next-gen install bases to grow, and when it does, Square Enix will be there to support those systems depending on how well they sold.

Money is all that matters... :devil:

Did you ever have ANY doubt of that? Never forget that Square Enix is a CORPORATION. Making money IS all that matters to any corporation. Period. They have no loyalties, no morals, no soul...no nothing...just a ledger. Not just Square-Enix...but ANY corporation.

Just to let you know, Square-Enix is just as bad as EA games. Although they make no sports games, they're system is just the same. They make money and treat they're employees like crap.

Just to let you know, Square-Enix is just as bad as EA games. Although they make no sports games, they're system is just the same. They make money and treat they're employees like crap.

Most companies do. there is no such thing as loyalty to employees anymore. The only loyalty is to the God-Almighty Buck...and, if they find they can make more money, by laying off a few people and destroying thier lives...they don't care that they are destorying the lives of those people who depended on the company for a livelihood...they don't care what those employees did to help the company make money. nowadays, labor is all considered to be a liability. the days of the "valued employee" are long over with.

Guest Plattym3

That's why I recommend working in a small business or owning your own. My dad has put in over 30 years where he works, and just yesterday said to me that he's worried they're ready to push him out. Now, me, I'm in a small school situation where I'm (for now) really appreciated. With less than 30 employees, we're all pretty valuable if we're actually doing our job well. I always intend to do my job well (or at least make it appear that way :wink: ).

That's why I recommend working in a small business or owning your own. My dad has put in over 30 years where he works, and just yesterday said to me that he's worried they're ready to push him out. Now, me, I'm in a small school situation where I'm (for now) really appreciated. With less than 30 employees, we're all pretty valuable if we're actually doing our job well. I always intend to do my job well (or at least make it appear that way :wink: ).

Which is just one more reason I have taken the direction in my life that I have chosen, and been working towards the last year and a half...the eventual goal being to own my own business and work for myself.

The goal of any business is to make money. There are several corporations who are good to their employees and reinvest the money earned for the good of the company. Better benefits, better customer service, new divisions, employees, etc. SE is not one of those. The US office these days is more or less service and marketing. If you look at their site, there seems to always be big openings. Maybe it's frustrating working for a company whose home office is overseas and controls everything, I don't know. Since the merger Japan does not value the NA market as much. The funds don't seem to be reinvested where they need to be. They waste so much on PR. They've had some great campaigns, but too much is throw away or damages sales and reputation. DQ IX's a fiscal move they seem to be setting the bar too high. They're expecting it to do another four mil. in two days and without the user base and long time fans on the fence, I doubt it'll happen.

Oh, SE made the latest Mario basketball game.

They totally need to open another North American development office. People outside of Japan have ideas for RPGs, too! Remember Secret of Evermore? That game rocked.

YES!!!! Oh my god, someone else besides myself who likes that game. I dont know why its frowned upon? The music was brilliant and was better quality then most games on the snes. Y'know though, Square-Enix wont do that. Its a Japanese based company, and they wouldn't like thier traditional work practices change over in North America. I plan to work in a small company once I'm out of school. Most of the time small companies produce the best games because everyone gets involved with each other like a family. Square-Enix branches off into so many sections that most of the time people have never seen most of thier fellow employees before. Problem with big companies is that they leave it up to 2 or 3 writers to come up with a game, and most of the time those people are retarded *cough* new Sonic games *cough*. Its like that here of course, EA and Ubi Soft as examples. If any of you guys here on the Den practice any binary coding language, computer programming skills, art talents, or 3D modelling skills, I'll take note of any of those skills cause in about 3 or 6 years a couple classmates and I are going to open up a new gaming company or team(like level 5). We're going to be looking for people, so keep in touch with me and I'll see to it that our ideas come together to make great games... if you qualify.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada taunted the general public today with vague remarks concerning the company's feverishly anticipated Dragon Quest title. "I'm having so much fun playing Dragon Quest IX!" said the company executive. "Expect it sometime in the future." Wada noted that just because the upcoming role-playing game was DS-bound, Dragon Quest X was not necessarily headed to a Nintendo console. "It could be on the N-Gage for all you people know!" Thumbing his nose at video cameras, Wada invited his seven year-old son up to the podium to share the fun he was having with the portable RPG. "It's great!" exclaimed the child. "Especially the part with the dragon!"

Sounds interesting, hope they update the official site soon.

They totally need to open another North American development office. People outside of Japan have ideas for RPGs, too! Remember Secret of Evermore? That game rocked.

YES!!!! Oh my god, someone else besides myself who likes that game. I dont know why its frowned upon? The music was brilliant and was better quality then most games on the snes. Y'know though, Square-Enix wont do that. Its a Japanese based company, and they wouldn't like thier traditional work practices change over in North America. I plan to work in a small company once I'm out of school. Most of the time small companies produce the best games because everyone gets involved with each other like a family. Square-Enix branches off into so many sections that most of the time people have never seen most of thier fellow employees before. Problem with big companies is that they leave it up to 2 or 3 writers to come up with a game, and most of the time those people are retarded *cough* new Sonic games *cough*. Its like that here of course, EA and Ubi Soft as examples. If any of you guys here on the Den practice any binary coding language, computer programming skills, art talents, or 3D modelling skills, I'll take note of any of those skills cause in about 3 or 6 years a couple classmates and I are going to open up a new gaming company or team(like level 5). We're going to be looking for people, so keep in touch with me and I'll see to it that our ideas come together to make great games... if you qualify.

Well, I might be good for brainstorming some ideas. I certainly would not have the coding skills, etc....I'd see myself something more as an outside consulttant....or your company as a place to expand on a general idea I might have, perhaps you'd want to buy a good concept, and get your skilled programmers working on such a thing.

Wait... Secret of evermore was developed in North america? It was definitely a neat game. Problem is, you won't see something like that happen again. As far as they're concerned there is no market for RPG's outside of Japan really. Except for MMO's, which there is too many of these days.

Wait... Secret of evermore was developed in North america?

Take a look at the credits sometime, which play during the opening sequence of the game. Those names are not Japanese. Oh, and thanks for using a Brasington avatar.

And what's wrong with American-developed RPGs that aren't rip-offs or derivatives of LOTR, D&D, or Star Wars? SoE might not have been as popular as, say, Chrono Trigger or FF6, but it received a well-deserved cult following. And consider the fact that it was made back in 1995, when RPGs were not yet a mainstream genre. That paradigm shift occurred two years later, when FF7 became the must-have game for the PS1 worldwide, and the next few years saw a flood of quality RPGs from Japan. Perhaps SoE came out before its time, and American-developed Japanese-style RPGs might catch on more in 2007 if they were as well-produced as SoE. If only Square Enix, and other companies, realized that.

YES!!!! Oh my god, someone else besides myself who likes that game. I dont know why its frowned upon? The music was brilliant and was better quality then most games on the snes.

The music might not have necessarily been "better," but it was definitely "good in a different way." For a simple reason: it (as well as the graphics, writing, and just about everything else) was made by a newcomer to the field. Perhaps new blood is exactly what Square Enix needs. However, Wada et al. may still be skeptical about letting Americans be creative under their aegis, because the last time that happened, it was an utter disaster.

I dont know about you, but videogame related movies always suck, so its not exactly america's fault. The whole movie genre is to fail, will fail, and continues to disappoint with each game movie released by producers who arn't all from the United States of America.

Indogutsu...

Yeah I really like this avatar, thanks.

But what I was saying about Secret of evermore is, yes it is a good game, I liked it. The problem I have is that we won't see it happen again, the closest thing to RPG's developed in the USA are MMO's (which if you ask me hardly count as RPG's at all.) I suppose some of the LoTR rip offs and Star wars based games might be considered RPG's but again like someone mentioned, those movie based games are always just mass produced it seems to make some money off the title. As far as the big companies are concerned, there's not a big enough market for RPG's. They're all going to stick to the biggest selling genre, and mass produce empty games for it.

Maybe I'm being a little too pessimistic, or I'm just too oldschool. But I honestly don't like the type of future I'm seeing for RPG's outside of Japan.

Basically it seems, RPG's will always be from Japan, will always release first there, and will always be made based on what Japanese fans want. Everyone else, tough, just deal with it. :unhappy:

Sorry, if my post seems a little too pessimistic.

I suspect you are correct, Saul...unless some upstart American company gets formed from the kind of guys like Indo, here...who like RPG's...and they manage, somehow, to catch lightning in a bottle, and make a huge hit....then you might see bigger companies like SE and EA sit up and take notice.

It's really too bad, too, because, if you think about it...the population here is so much bigger than Japan that...if, let's say 60% of Japanese will purchase a new RPG that is good...roughly 25 percent of Americans would have to just in order to make the same number of sales.

So the market doesn't HAVE to be as big. But the execs at SE won't seem to get their heads outta their asses long enough to realize this. The thing is...if you make a really good RPG...nice, tight storyline, that gets the player INVOLVED and is fairly challenging without being frustratingly impossible...has fairly good graphics, and smooth gameplay...I think there ARE enough oldschoolers like me over here that would support such games. But they DO have to be good.

I think the big companies just want Americans to buy up whatever crap they decide to churn out, and don't really give a crap what Americans might actually want....ony care about what will SELL...which is why the crappy movie-games keep getting cranked out, and keep sucking.

Then again, you can't really blame the companies involved too much for being adverse to taking a chance on a rather untested market...why not just feed America the same CRAP that Americans have been buying up for a decade now (and they play it once or twice, realize it sucks, and never play it again - not that SE cares, they got their money out of the deal) and yet, Americans will continue to line up to buy CRAP.

Why produce good stuff and take a chance, when you know that CRAP will sell? Any game based on a popular movie, no matter how much the game itself sucks...seems guaranteed to break sales records...so why bother trying to deliver good, quality games to America? We've proven, time and again, we will buy CRAP they wouldn't touch in Japan.

Back to the topic of money being what decided this...

That may have been true for the top chairs, but I bet Horii did everything to make this game worthy of the DQ name, not just a li'l toy. I really trust him because so far he's done an excellent work. I feel he does care about the games, and will not create trash ever.

If he was told to design for the DS, then he did what was possible on the DS and much, much more, just wait and see.

Archived