DQVIII demo update

Guest Plattym3

Guest Plattym3

King Slime on www.slimeknights.com reports:

A slight frenzy is brewing regarding the DQVIII demo and its release. Allow your king to explain.

squenixchic -- part of the Square Enix staff -- revealed on the forums some general details about the demo. These details still hold true:

The demos should be done by the end of [August] and arriving at our warehouse. From there, we'll be shipping to Shonen Jump and to most of the retailers.

We're also working on a functionality on our official site, where you can sign up to get a demo mailed to you. And, if you get a friend to sign up the same way as well, you get one of those clear little slime figures mailed to you as a thank you.

I don't know which method would be the fastest though.

The Shonen Jump issue that features the DQVIII demo hits newsstands on October 04. However, the demo will be sent only to Shonen Jump subscribers. Subscribers will begin receiving the issue a few weeks before.

Information that I have just received today from Squenix places the demo on retailers' store shelves in "early September."

There's still no official word on anything regarding Slime Knights and the demo. However, you can be sure that you will know as soon as I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's just remember to take our memory cards out before playing it :devil2:

I'm borrowing it from a friend. I'm really looking foward to it.

Yeah, I remember that perfectly since I was affected by the glitch. :(

Hmm, check this out everyone:

DQVIII Demo and Metal Slime? -- Ebay.com

What the hell? If this is true, when is Square-Enix USA gonna put it up on their website, haha.

Hopefully this means they'll have the Demos available from their site soon. By monday we'll know for sure, I'm thinking.

I just got the demo today via preorder at GS. Some initial impressions from just goofing around in the battle mode (endless battling) of the demo:

- Koichi Sugiyama does not get enough credit in the 'states. The music is amazing and quite charming.

- I am pissed they removed the traditional magic casting sound effect for the NA version. I have no idea what the rationale was behind this -- it was a staple of DQ. I get this empty feeling right after a spell is cast now. It is a very small omission, but I feel it will be missed by long time fans of the series.

- The graphics are nothing short of amazing. The characters, creatures and surroundings look incredible. I am happy so far they chose not to reduce Jessica's 'bounce' factor that I can notice.

- I am not thrilled with the 'revamped' battle menu. I find it quite cumbersome, but I am sure I will get used to it.

- I also like the design of the disc art on the demo.

I will post some more impressions after I play so more of the demo. I can't wait for this @#%$ game.

Alright I am playing a little bit of the story mode and really digging it. While I was, and still am to a certain extent, opposed to the addition of voice acting in this game, what I have heard so far in the demo actually really impresses me -- many publishers could learn a thing or three. The voices are pretty well done, and the dialog isn't cheesy. Yangus's voice in particular is cool.

Do you have a scanner, can you scan the disc art?

I just got the demo today via preorder at GS. Some initial impressions from just goofing around in the battle mode (endless battling) of the demo:

- Koichi Sugiyama does not get enough credit in the 'states. The music is amazing and quite charming.

- I am pissed they removed the traditional magic casting sound effect for the NA version. I have no idea what the rationale was behind this -- it was a staple of DQ. I get this empty feeling right after a spell is cast now. It is a very small omission, but I feel it will be missed by long time fans of the series.

- The graphics are nothing short of amazing. The characters, creatures and surroundings look incredible. I am happy so far they chose not to reduce Jessica's 'bounce' factor that I can notice.

- I am not thrilled with the 'revamped' battle menu. I find it quite cumbersome, but I am sure I will get used to it.

- I also like the design of the disc art on the demo.

I will post some more impressions after I play so more of the demo. I can't wait for this @#%$ game.

Alright I am playing a little bit of the story mode and really digging it. While I was, and still am to a certain extent, opposed to the addition of voice acting in this game, what I have heard so far in the demo actually really impresses me -- many publishers could learn a thing or three. The voices are pretty well done, and the dialog isn't cheesy. Yangus's voice in particular is cool.

Must...get.....demooo........ *Explodes*

Guest Plattym3

G(*^&(*^*&^ d*(&(*&*&*( GS!

Those idiots would give me one unless I pre-ordered the game from them. I've already got the order in at EBgames, but they don't have the demo yet ... if ever. I'm so ticked off right now. I'm going to be calling my EBgames every day this week.

;) Pre-ordered the game back in July, and I don't have one either, how strange. Of course I could get the Shounen Jump magazine which has the demo in it.

DarkDragoon, just go talk to them and let them know you preordered already. Once they check on it, bam, the demo is yours to enjoy. :P

Platty, preorder at GS to get your demo, and then go back a week later and withdraw your preorder to get your fiver back. I was once a manager at a GS and people did it all the time -- reserves are refundable. The DQ VIII demo is worth it.

Guest Plattym3
I keep forgetting to preorder it at EB Games. If I do preorder it now, would I still get the demo, or would it be too late?

The guy from GameStop said they're still accepting preorders (and giving out demos). You honestly gotta think there aren't tons of people ordering yet or if at all. This might have to become a "cult" hit game, one that slowly builds momentum.

The demo is mine! :evillaugh:

I shall report back my findings at a later time...that is, if i can tear myself away... :worried:

Update: This game is awsome. The graphics are great as is the music. From what little i heard of the voices they don't sound too bad. The demo has a "Story Mode" and a "Battle Mode". The story mode, which i didn't finish, seems to just take you through a bit of the story. The battle mode allows you to wonder around outside with a party of Hero, Yangus, Angelo, and Jessica, each at level 15. You just wonder around slaughtering enemies. The spell names don't bother me too much, but i didn't think they would anyway. The menu system isn't that bad either.

All in all, i think i'm going to love this game.

Archived