DQ VIII - Some spell info

Woodus

To quote from the Slime Knights message board and King Slime

I can reveal a bit about the localization of the spells.

In Japan, all the magical spells are onomatopoeias -- words that sound like they are said -- so Squenix tried to do the same here. Therefore:

a wind spell is called "Woosh"

a fire spell has become "Sizzle"

To answer The_Dwaine's question, "Pop" is in the American release.

Also, in some magazine (EGM I think), there is a screenshot of Jessica using a spell called "Kafrizzle". Which I'm guessing is either Blazemore or Firebane. Meaning that stronger spells may have prefixes to them.

..."Pop" still dosen't make sense to me.

Also, in some magazine (EGM I think), there is a screenshot of Jessica using a spell called "Kafrizzle". Which I'm guessing is either Blazemore or Firebane. Meaning that stronger spells may have prefixes to them.

..."Pop" still dosen't make sense to me.

Hmmmm maybe "Pop" is like Bang or Boom?

It's ridiculous to me. What's onomatopoeic about "hoimi" or "gira"? Sounds to me like a decision made to market it to a younger audience, being disguised as a translation decision.

It seems especially so if Red Slime is really being translated as "She Slime."

Ha! I told you all that there would be spells of how they sound!!! I told u long before Pop will be used for Outside! It was in a demo my friend played... So theer now I feel happy that I gave first edition news... read my Outside to Pop? thread in the DQ8 News/Info board for proof I released this info first :)

I do remember that, I can understand the others, but Pop outside, that was the farthest sound from my mind when you cast ouside.

;) Personally, I think that "Pop" wil probably replace Bang as opposed to Outside which they will probably remane "Exit" or Teleport or something like that.
;) Well, that explains who translated the game, When Rappers invade RPGs tonight on FOX...

I really wish they had left the spell names what they have been in the older games. Hopefully they left Bang , and Boom alone though.

;):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kojiro sent that to me earlier, I wonder if they can make DQVIII satires with other cereal boxes?

Archived