What are you currently playing?

Guest Plattym3

Keep meaning to get Etrian Odyssey...

Currently playing:

Dragon Quest IV (DS)

On the NES the chapter system seemed really cool and interesting. It still is to some degree but the fun-o-meter went way further up after the characters got together and opened forth new strategy options. It showed me how I prefer a gradual party rise rather than essentially starting again 5 times before things come together. But IV's unique like that. Still awesome.

Legend of Legaia (PS1)

This is up and down. Sometimes I think the battle system is interesting and quite deep, other times I think it's just a standard old turn-based affair covered up under loads of gimmicks. At the moment I'm having fun though and the story is pretty interesting.

Edited by Leaf
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I got Etrian Odyssey II yesterday. Oh boy, good-bye PS2. I must have played almost 10 hours already between yesterday and today. I completely drained a battery charge on my DS yesterday alone (that's when I decided it was time for bed). I've played it for a couple hours this morning too but I've got to put it down to go run errands and then paint the bathroom (sadness). I love this game. I'm almost down to the 5th floor. I've got 1-3 completely mapped and 4 is about 90% done. Think I went the wrong way and forgot a Warp Wire, so I had to climb all the way down from the end of the 4th floor, and that was about the end of my day.

Got my copy as well, Platty. I just fooled with it, probably won't get too into it until I beat Lost Odyssey, but I'm glad they added some features that were really needed (suspend save [where you can save at anytime], ability to see if new equipment gives increases, etc.).

Guest Plattym3
Then I got Etrian Odyssey II yesterday. Oh boy, good-bye PS2. I must have played almost 10 hours already between yesterday and today. I completely drained a battery charge on my DS yesterday alone (that's when I decided it was time for bed). I've played it for a couple hours this morning too but I've got to put it down to go run errands and then paint the bathroom (sadness). I love this game. I'm almost down to the 5th floor. I've got 1-3 completely mapped and 4 is about 90% done. Think I went the wrong way and forgot a Warp Wire, so I had to climb all the way down from the end of the 4th floor, and that was about the end of my day.

Got my copy as well, Platty. I just fooled with it, probably won't get too into it until I beat Lost Odyssey, but I'm glad they added some features that were really needed (suspend save [where you can save at anytime], ability to see if new equipment gives increases, etc.).

One of the cool new features is a Geomagnetic "pole" that lets you warp to floors more frequently. There's one on the 3rd floor that allows 1 way movement from town to the 3rd floor, so that you don't have to keep climbing there time after time. The next one just appeared on the 5th floor, so they're WAY more frequent. I'm hoping there's the 2-way transport when I beat the boss on 5 (when I find him). One thing I've noticed is that I used a Protector and I'm already sick of it. I don't think it has contributed in ANY way so far, and don't think it will. Think I'm going to stick her storage and make myself a gunner or soemthing to do elemental damage as I don't have that now. My party is:

Front: War Magus (does 3rd most damage), Ronin (by far the best), Landsknecht (does 2nd most damage)

Back: Protector (does least damage by at least 1/3, switched from the front with War Magus because he didn't do $#!& up there but take damage, still was LAST in damage, gotta get rid of him), Troubadour (does almost the damage my War Magus does, leveling up Divinity to get extra EXP).

Guest Plattym3
I got Etrian mother f'ing Odyssey II and Space Invaders Extreme.

Have you begun your f'ing Odyssey? I've really been putting A TON of time into the game. Beat the boss in the first stratum with more strategy then I've had to implement in years on a game. I mean I had to change my stupid protector who wasn't doing anything to a Gunner (which I named Ragnar and absolutely LOVE) to get a skill that helped out quite a bit, then I had to go hunting for certain things at a Take spot, THEN I could finally win after 4 tries. Heck, this game was hard as hell from the beginning. SPOILER:

The first time you enter the dungeon, you get dumped at a spot and have to MAP the whole way back. I think I died 3-4 times before completing that simple little area.

Geeze, but I love it!

Suikoden I. 14 hours in so far on my first playthrough and have the bags under my eyes to prove it. I'm hooked on this game.

Right now, I'm about level 34 with my main character and trying a prison break.

I got Etrian mother f'ing Odyssey II and Space Invaders Extreme.

Have you begun your f'ing Odyssey? I've really been putting A TON of time into the game. Beat the boss in the first stratum with more strategy then I've had to implement in years on a game. I mean I had to change my stupid protector who wasn't doing anything to a Gunner (which I named Ragnar and absolutely LOVE) to get a skill that helped out quite a bit, then I had to go hunting for certain things at a Take spot, THEN I could finally win after 4 tries. Heck, this game was hard as hell from the beginning. SPOILER:

The first time you enter the dungeon, you get dumped at a spot and have to MAP the whole way back. I think I died 3-4 times before completing that simple little area.

Geeze, but I love it!

I'm on floor 3

A group of three crawlers on floor 2 wiped me out about 4 times.

Suikoden I. 14 hours in so far on my first playthrough and have the bags under my eyes to prove it. I'm hooked on this game.

Right now, I'm about level 34 with my main character and trying a prison break.

NICE! Do you own the copy or are you playing it through emulation? That was back when Konami used their own music encoding and had higher-quality music than most PSX games at the time (and in my opinion, some of the best music--period). Miki Higashino was sooo good at the earlier soundtracks. It is a shame she left Konami during the creation of Suikoden III, but her excellent work is present in Suikoden and Suikoden II.

Although, not near as long as other Suikoden's (maybe 25 hours in length if you're REALLY trying to collect all 108 Stars of Destiny) the ending, to me, was fantastic. It really showed how the main-character came to be at the end and how the other characters reflect upon that. Plus, it is the first game to showcase the famous Silverberg family of tacticians. :D

A great game. One I still play at least annually.

EDIT: In fact, many songs from Suikoden and Suikoden II are remixed versions in Suikoden V as a tribute to Miki Higashino.

Edited by Neclord

No comment on the answer to the first question ;)

The music sounds good, almost PS2 level. The game's impressive. Level 37, 17:34 - 77 Stars so far. I just took out the armored knights and their commander. I'm a little slower in Suikoden games than I am the DQ's.

Lol, well, if you're playing it through emulation and want Suikoden II PM me, and I can give you a website to download it from.

Whats Suikoden?

A fantastic RPG series for the PSX and PS2. If you wish to know more, you can read up on the games and what they are about here:

Suikoden -- Wiki

I know, not the most reliable site, but from what I've read it all seems accurate.

Edited by Neclord

Lol, well, if you're playing it through emulation and want Suikoden II PM me, and I can give you a website to download it from.

Whats Suikoden?

A fantastic RPG series for the PSX and PS2. If you wish to know more, you can read up on the games and what they are about here:

Suikoden -- Wiki

I know, not the most reliable site, but from what I've read it all seems accurate.

What about the first one? lol

I looked at it, it seems nice. I'll give it a try.

Suikoden II barring a surprise, isn't going to be a problem either. ;) I received it from the same place I received Suikoden I.

Oh, I just found your namesake in the first game. 70 brides? Holy @#%t :evillaugh:

Demon King - Suikoden is one of the best RPG series I've played. I've played 4 of the 6 games in the series (I through V and tactics). III and V are two of my favorites. IV stunk. II is supposed to be the best from what I've read, but I haven't gotten to that one yet. Haven't played tactics.

I and II are expensive if you can find them for PSX. I costs about $50 and II about $200 minimum(not a misprint). III and V for PS2 can be found fairly easily at Gamespot and are often under $20. III runs a chapter setup, somewhat similar to DQIV.

Suikoden V has one of the best RPG stories I've played, right there with Ultima VII, Arcanum (not quite on those two), FF Tactics, and DQIV/V. III is just closely behind, and I think Suikoden I will be right there with them when I'm done with it. They are all very intelligent stories.

Edited by Red Dragon
Suikoden II barring a surprise, isn't going to be a problem either. ;) I received it from the same place I received Suikoden I.

Oh, I just found your namesake in the first game. 70 brides? Holy @#%t :evillaugh:

Glad you got both! Now, you can complete the main series (I don't count Suikoden Tactics as part of the main series, yet it has more storyline than SIV, I felt). Suikoden II and V are tied as my favorites in the series. Also, your final save in Suikoden can be carried over to Suikoden II for a few surprises. :D

Ah, yes, Neclord. He's quite the ladies man. :evillaugh:

Guest Plattym3

Moving along in Etrian Odyssy II. Was surprised to find that while walking around B7 for the first time I could actually kill a FOE there. Can't recall ever beating a FOE until I'd gone a few levels beyond and came back for a fight. I don't want to be overconfidant, but I think I'm doing well. Without someone capable of casting revive, I'm still spending too much time going back to the city. Oh, and $#!& that Geomagnetic pole. It's now darn near impossible to get to previous levels. What happens is that about every 2-3 levels there's a pole that you can activate to bring you to that spot to begin. The problem is that once you activate one, the other one goes off. So, now I can easily start on the 7th level, but getting to the 3rd & 4th is a real pain in my ass.

1/2 Finished Suikoden I. I finished it, but missed about 5 or 6 stars. Had enough and looked them up before the final fight and it was too late to get Leon. Damn.

I'll go back to this one after II.

1/2 Finished Suikoden I. I finished it, but missed about 5 or 6 stars. Had enough and looked them up before the final fight and it was too late to get Leon. Damn.

I'll go back to this one after II.

Yes, do go back to Suikoden and make sure to get all 108 Stars. If you do, before a certain plot point an alternate scene happens that you wouldn't otherwise see without obtaining all the Stars of Destiny.

Also, good luck with Suikoden II. You should really enjoy it. I felt it was one of the better political/military plots in the Suikoden series (next to Suikoden V).

;) Deathtamoor is no more and thus I have completed Dragon Quest VI, so that is Six out of Eight that have been defeated, next up is a little break from my marathon I like to call Live a Live, which sounds like an interesting game, I'll discuss more once I get started, after that is Dragon Quest VII.
;) Deathtamoor is no more and thus I have completed Dragon Quest VI, so that is Six out of Eight that have been defeated, next up is a little break from my marathon I like to call Live a Live, which sounds like an interesting game, I'll discuss more once I get started, after that is Dragon Quest VII.

Heheheheh. Good luck with that "Dragon Quest VII" Slime Master. That'll atleast take you 60-70 hours.

How long ago did you start this marathon? :)

;) I started it back in Late February and I have actually logged in as much as 200 hours on Dragon Quest VII trying to master the various classes.

DQVII was the first (knowingly) 100+ hour game I've played. I had a helluva time with that first cave and it took me 3 hours to get to the first FIGHT in that game.

8 hours into Suikoden II. This looks like it will be a long game. I survived two burnt towns, an execution attempt, a possible betrayal, and saw the return of a an old vampire. No HQ yet either.

Edited by Red Dragon

Let's see... Kinda all over the map at the moment:

SMB Brawl - My brother got this resently and I play it quite a bit.

Dragon Warrior Monsters (GB) Got a copy for 3$, and I'm about 4 hours in.

Pokemon Mysterious Dungon Darkness(DS) Around the 30 or 40 hour mark, trying to finish the second story line.

Dungon builder (PC) Got a copy cheap, and it's addictive. Played 10 hours.

8 hours into Suikoden II. This looks like it will be a long game. I survived two burnt towns, an execution attempt, a possible betrayal, and saw the return of a an old vampire. No HQ yet either.

Yes, the game is easily one of the longest in the series. I'd say around Suikoden V in length (45-60 hours, depending).

Edited by Neclord