What are you currently playing?

Guest Plattym3

Guest Plattym3

That stinks. Did you play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1? I went into this one with my eyes wide open strategy-wise and have done all right. I think I've only had to warp out of dungeons twice to avoid certain death. Once was just the last time I played though on the road to the Temporal Tower. Haven't had much time to play in the past week.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been alternating between R Type Command, and FF VII Crisis Core. I need to stop ignoring my Turbo Duo, and Supergrafx :blush2:

Haven't had much time lately playing games, but I managed to get a few hours in today. I just got to the second disc of Blue Dragon for the XBox 360. I'm roughly at 20 hours into the game, all my characters are level 23-25. All my shadow classes are 15+ (the ones I've unlocked). I'm heading to the frozen lands of the north... on my search of the main bad guy of the game. Really enjoying the game, just wish I could get more time playing it.

I'm on the 4th disc of Lost Odyssey for the XBox360 and I'm about 50 hours in. This game is just amazing, and it's the first RPG in a while that I could play for over 2 hours at a time and still have the desire to keep going.

^ Whoa four discs.

I am still playing gta iv and ff7(i play it less cause i am watching gundam), i am also playing yakuza and gundam encounter in space.

Has anyone played ms saga?

Edited by haseeb
I'm on the 4th disc of Lost Odyssey for the XBox360 and I'm about 50 hours in. This game is just amazing, and it's the first RPG in a while that I could play for over 2 hours at a time and still have the desire to keep going.

Overall, how do you rate Lost Odyssey, rpgking? (Story-wise, music, etc.) I plan on playing it next after Blue Dragon. Have you played Blue Dragon, yet? Made by the same people as Lost Odyssey. I'm hearing LO is one of (if not) the best RPGs right now for the XBox 360 by many people... that may change, though, with Tales of Vesperia later this summer. :D

Edited by Neclord

Overall, how do you rate Lost Odyssey, rpgking? (Story-wise, music, etc.) I plan on playing it next after Blue Dragon. Have you played Blue Dragon, yet? Made by the same people as Lost Odyssey. I'm hearing LO is one of (if not) the best RPGs right now for the XBox 360 by many people... that may change, though, with Tales of Vesperia later this summer. :D

I have played & own Blue Dragon. I consider Blue Dragon to be a "modern traditional RPG". The story in Blue Dragon was a bit cliched but I enjoyed the game overall, since I am a fan of traditional RPGs.

Lost Odyssey is in a whole other league than Blue Dragon, IMO. Although it does retain lots of traditional aspects, it also includes several innovations. On the story front, this can be extremely deep, or fairly standard depending on how much time you put into the game. What I am referring to in particular is the story of the main character, Kaim Argonar. It's told to you on the back of the box that he is an immortal man who has lived for 1000 years. Now you would think that someone who has lived for 1000 years must have had a very rich history, and it would be very difficult to fit into the scope of an RPG. And you would also think that an immortal like this will already have been developed enough to where it is impossible for him to learn many more lessons in life or improve as a person.

Due to Kaim's unusual circumstances, rather than working his background and character development into the course of the game, the developers exposed this through a series of "dreams". The dreams themselves are like short stories that you actually read (these are not movies!), and there are visual aids and music/sound effects in the background to make them more interesting. The stories were very deep, interesting, and oftentimes sad, and it really did give me a sense of the kind of person Kaim turned out to be after 1000 years. I don't think they could have done this any other way... To see all of the dreams, sometimes you must go out of your way past the linear path of the game to initiate a dream sequence.

On the battle system front, this game combines aspects of Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX. Similar to Final Fantasy VI's espers, the immortals in your party can "skill link" to a mortal who is in the party and learn skills from them. After gaining enough SP through a battle, the skill is learned, and then you can link/learn more skills. Like Final Fantasy IX, you can equip accessories and learn skills from these. As with linking, you need to gain enough SP to learn the accessory's skill, and then you can move on to another accessory. As your immortals' skill arsenal increases, you can mix/match them any way you want, as long as you have enough skill slots. I've had lots of fun with this system, and I keep trying out new ways to make my immortals unstoppable.

This game is not totally linear. There is a point in time where it becomes fairly nonlinear, and you can do anything you want (as there are lots of sidequests) before going back to the main story arc. And although it appears initially that there is no walkable overworld map, this is not entirely the case...

I really like the music in this game, as it brings back memories of older final fantasies. This is not surprising since Nobuo Uematsu composed the score. I'm considering getting the soundtrack to this.

Rating: Story: 9 Music: 10 Graphics: 10 Gameplay: 9

Very nice! Thanks, rpgking! It has taken a lot of will to keep LO in it's shrink wrap until I'm done with Blue Dragon, as I'm itching to play that one. Thanks again for the detailed response. :D

Guest Plattym3

Finally beat Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2! Well, at least the first main story. I got wiped out completely twice between the last save place and the final boss. Once was a monster room that I thought Pikachu could handle, but when idiot monsters start moving at 4X their original speed, I don't know how you're supposed to defend that. Also, got my ass handed to me by the final boss twice. Didn't realize I didn't have any more reviver seeds on me both times, so I finally had to back out of the last dungeon and find a place to stock up. Good game though, I look forward to the post-game story.

Just finished Earthbound. Finally got to $#!&@slap pokey. (he ain't worth a punch)

Good game. I wouldn't put it in the DQ category (that photographer kept interrupting the game and pissing me off), but it was good solid game.

Guest Plattym3

Well, started Shadow Hearts II: Covenant yesterday. It's a real fun game. Granted I'm only 2 hours into the game, but I'm already amazed at all the customization, which I kinda like in games, this is just enough for me without being too overboard. I already like the characters and the long long long cut scenes haven't been that bad yet. I don't have the feeling I'm just watching cut scenes for the sake of the cut scene, they're explaining a very interesting story. If this game contines to impress I might just try #1 & #3 despite what I've read about them not being as good.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 will now be my designated lying in bed game or watching TV game. I do wish to complete the post-game story, but it won't be my #1 priority.

Just started DQ6 for my second playthrough. I'm stuck at Mudo's Palace where you have to step on the switches to let light in so you can see the path below. I kept falling so I took a break.

Also currently playing FF2. Although I probably won't go back to it because this is the most annoying RPG I've ever played.

FF2 sucked. It was a decent idea executed poorly. You have to hit yourself and cast spells on yourself quite a bit in that game.

I just got the ship in Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

In FFIII, I just got to the Dwarf Cave. I'm about 3.5 hours in there. I'm grinding a bit more than I normally do in an FF game, since I'm not quite sure if this is like FFI which is like DW3 in the need to grind or more like FFIV where very little grinding is needed. FFIII isn't all that easy in the beginning, but I'm having an easy time with the bosses right now. I'm about level 13 or 14 right now.

Job levels range between 7-13 - Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Warrior - with the Monk and Warrior being Red Mages (four) under Mini.

7 hours in (was 5.5 then, not 3.5) I opened my mouth. I got game overed by the boss salamander when he breathed fire. I beat him the 2nd time though when I actually remembered that ice items to throw are my friends, and used them.

Two Crystals down now. Level 18

I just got the old Nintendo out of the closet, dusted it off, and started playing a new game of Ultima: Exodus.

NES on surround sound rocks!

Hey I beat that game years ago, dont forget to find the hidden village of Dawn which is south of Lord British's Castle for all the best weapons you can buy. I think I'm getting an itching to play that Ultima 5 Lazarus game or the Ultima 6 Project sometime. They look like what Ultima 9 should have been, a multimember party with a detailed 3D world.

Ultima IX :(

What a bummer that turned out to be. The series should have stopped at Ultima 7 (Although Serpent Isle was good except for the fact they killed off the best character).

Hey Red Dragon, did you ever check out the Ultima 5 Lazarus or Ultima 6 Project fan projects? Ultima 5 was finished a year ago and Ultima 6 has a demo that allows players to explore about half the world. They follow the original stories really closely but they have the nice updated graphics.

Hey Red Dragon, did you ever check out the Ultima 5 Lazarus or Ultima 6 Project fan projects? Ultima 5 was finished a year ago and Ultima 6 has a demo that allows players to explore about half the world. They follow the original stories really closely but they have the nice updated graphics.

No I haven't. I have the original U5/U6, but haven't had the time to really get into those because of the old style PC learning curve and txt file manuels.US is one I certainly want to master since it's probably very good once I get past the steep learning curve of the old Ultimas on PC. I beat U4 (with some help) but it was for NES. For PC, I started with Serpent Isle (U7 pt2) and went to Black Gate.

I know there's been a lot of talk about a fan remake of Ultima 9 because it was considered so unacceptable between the canon violations, bugs, bad voice acting, rush job work, etc.

I'll have to look at the projects when I get a chance.

I think anyone that loves the Ultima series would love this remake. I've played a little bit, but I have to be in one of those PC moods before I really get into it. Ultima 5 is completely done and apparently in several languages

http://www.u5lazarus.com/

The Ultima 6 remake is also pretty far along

http://u6project.com/

I think there are several Ultima 9 remakes, I think this one is the furthest along

http://www.cfkasper.de/ultima/

I may need to pick up Dungeon Siege then. (Already have Morrowind trilogy from the bargain bin, but haven't got into it yet.)

I would pick up the Dungeon Siege Legends of Aranna version and make sure it says that the expansion includes the full version of Dungeon Siege too. I got it for really cheap from Ebay. I'll probably get Morrowind some day when that Ultima is closer to completion.