Sign in to follow this  
Guest Plattym3

What are you currently playing?

Made some progress in Nocturne. I just spent forever doing some Manikin kid's game. I feel like I'm cross-eyed, and in my head, all I see is a sprite pushing some blocks... Wheeeeee...

Anyway, I'm currently not doing anything in the game, and I'm waiting for the journalist to tell me what to do. It hasn't been as difficult, recently... although the puzzle game sure made up for that. I need to test my mind more often. :(

Oh. I've spent about 28 hours on it so far.

Edited by Leon Geeste

Guest Plattym3
My copy of Grandia arrived today :)

I just finished the Sult Ruins and am now building up my weapon skills, and getting ready to go and see Java.

Nice. You just got about 79 hours to go now. Seriously. This game is like the second longest PS1 RPG after DQ7! :laugh:

I don't think Grandia was that long. I'd say about 60 total hours, not as long Macross mentioned. It is a long, fun game though.

If you do the bonus dungeons, it's about 80 hours total. I played it very recently, so I remember it well. I didn't spend too much time levelling up either. If you don't, it's possible to skim by at a little over 50 hours. It's not that the bonus dungeons take up 30 hours of game time (altogether, they are about maybe 8-10) but it's reasonable to assume that if you do the bonus areas, you're probably going to try to be thorough and search everywhere, which adds up to about 80, minus the levelling up.

By contrast, many here will remember I beat DQ7 in 105 hours, which is actually about the average. So I'm not too slow with RPGs either.

Edited by macross3

Got to the Dom Ruins today, I plan on manipulating the traps in the beginning and the save point to boost my healing magic.

I've really enjoyed the plot so far. The humor is nice, and the characters are pretty well developed, and also, the battle system :thumbsup:

If you do the bonus dungeons, it's about 80 hours total. I played it very recently, so I remember it well. I didn't spend too much time levelling up either. If you don't, it's possible to skim by at a little over 50 hours. It's not that the bonus dungeons take up 30 hours of game time (altogether, they are about maybe 8-10) but it's reasonable to assume that if you do the bonus areas, you're probably going to try to be thorough and search everywhere, which adds up to about 80, minus the levelling up.

By contrast, many here will remember I beat DQ7 in 105 hours, which is actually about the average. So I'm not too slow with RPGs either.

First time I beat Grandia: 60 hours with both bonus dungeons. Second time I beat Grandia: 45 with one bonus dungeon. The second dungeon was too long, but the game seriously isn't that long, especially when you know what's coming next. I also found that I didn't have to really specifically "train" per se at all, but rather just fight every monster I saw in the game (which brought me high enough to get nearly every spell, minus the ones that required like 99 Fire, 99 Wind, etc.).

By contrast, first time through DQ7: 110 hours pre bonus, 135 after the boni dungeions. Second time, sqweeked in a little over 90 without any bonus, and then didn't play the bonus because... they weren't wourth it. This game definitly required me to train specifically, especially the first time through since I got lazy and had to go to slime island a few times, or stay in the Dharma region extra long (losing Keifer really hurt me). The second time I did fair chunks of training with every new area, especially at the beginning.

Guest Plattym3

Decoy, your times are pretty much my times. I did do both bonus dungeons on Grandia and it still wasn't in the 80 hour area. I also didn't do much more fighting that just attacking every monster I saw. There was a part near the middle of the game where I may have spent an hour or two leveling up some weapons/magic, but pretty much went straight through.

Did you guys use walkthroughs? I didn't. I'm still pretty sure it's 80 hours for me but 60 looks a bit like 80 as well. Too bad I erased the save game.

I did backtrack a helluva lot during the game and sometimes just walked around to look at the sights. I also got lost in the last desert a couple of times (where the last bonus dungeon was). I wouldn't think that'd be 20 hours difference though. I can see me wasting 10 more hours but not 20. I believe I did get every single weapon/armour in the game though. So I was being a completist.

Curious.

Still, the point is, it's a pretty long game, and from everything I've played on the PS1, the second longest after DQ7. Even Xenogears was shorter than those two.

Edited by macross3

First time I beat Grandia: 60 hours with both bonus dungeons. Second time I beat Grandia: 45 with one bonus dungeon. The second dungeon was too long, but the game seriously isn't that long, especially when you know what's coming next. I also found that I didn't have to really specifically "train" per se at all, but rather just fight every monster I saw in the game (which brought me high enough to get nearly every spell, minus the ones that required like 99 Fire, 99 Wind, etc.).

There are 3 bonus dungeons. The 1st one is reasonably long, probably about 3 hours to beat if you try to fight a lot. This one is that cave one. The 2nd one should take about an hour or around 45 minutes if you're fast. It's the one in the haunted mansion. The 3rd one is that tower dungeon, which probably takes around 5-6 hours since you do a lot of time backtracking to heal spots since the monsters kick your butt a lot.

60 hours is still fairly long. Most PS1 RPGs clock in at about 40 hours. If you can name me any other RPG aside from DQ7 you think is longer than Grandia on PS1, I'd like to hear it. I can't think of any, although some people had a time with Xenogears. (Although it was easy for me)

Edited by macross3

I didn't know about the tower one, but I could swear the haunted mansion came before the cave. They were both steming from the same area, but the mansion was closer to the beginning, no?

I never actually beat it, but I remember a lot of people saying they spent over or near a hundred hours on FFT just beating the game, then like an additional 100 doing other stuff.

Anyway, I'm trying to play Front Mission 4 (borrowed from a friend) exclisively right now, and I'm... some 13 or 14 hours in after a little over a day.

I didn't know about the tower one, but I could swear the haunted mansion came before the cave. They were both steming from the same area, but the mansion was closer to the beginning, no?

I never actually beat it, but I remember a lot of people saying they spent over or near a hundred hours on FFT just beating the game, then like an additional 100 doing other stuff.

Anyway, I'm trying to play Front Mission 4 (borrowed from a friend) exclisively right now, and I'm... some 13 or 14 hours in after a little over a day.

The mansion is easier than the cave, but you'll see the cave before you see the mansion. You initially travel up the desert, and you would see the cave on the rocky wall to the right side of the desert. The mansion is at the very end of the desert.

The last tower dungeon is hidden somewhere in the huge desert you crash into after you get Liete. It's big and if you're not strong, it's quite hard.

Hmm, I never beat FFT but I did play some of it (25 hours). I gave up because I felt that the battles didn't have enough strategy for my tastes. A lot of them seemed to be based on odds and luck than strategy. So maybe it might be 60+ hours, but if some battles last about 90 minutes then I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by macross3

I clocked in OVER 225+ hours in FFT, it's the longest I've ever played a game before. I got it 100% complete doing that. I guess I'm the exact opposite, I still think FFT has the most strategy out of the other one's I've played. I mean, compared to say Phantom Brave, hands down it goes to FFT, as PB was pretty much more tedious than actual fun/strategy.

Guest Plattym3
The mansion is easier than the cave, but you'll see the cave before you see the mansion. You initially travel up the desert, and you would see the cave on the rocky wall to the right side of the desert. The mansion is at the very end of the desert.

The last tower dungeon is hidden somewhere in the huge desert you crash into after you get Liete. It's big and if you're not strong, it's quite hard.

The cave was pretty damn hard for the level I was when I went in. The mansion seemed pretty easy throughout. I actually think I spent some time in there leveling up my spells for some reason (I remember going in and out a lot).

Now that tower PISSED ME OFF ROYALLY! I was literally reading the walkthru, moving like 2-3 steps, reading the walkthru again, ... It was very difficult!

Ah, Grandia memories...

I had about 50 hours for my Grandia file. I only completed the mansion , never found the cave or tower.

For FFT some of the battles got extremely long for me, some took upwards around 45 minutes, I never beat the game either. The actual clock timer on mine starts counting backwards after 99hours and 99minutes.

Xenogears took me just a little under 60 hours.

I can't really think of any PS1 games aside from DQ7 with more than about 40 hours either. Xenogears lasted me a little more than that, but I tend to take a while with my games.

If you just go straight through Final fantasy tactics(and you know what you're doing) it shouldn't last much more than around 40 hours. But I'm not completely sure on that, since I've never personally beat the game.

;) Are you talking about the Ancient Cave? I made it al the way to the 99th floor and I never encountered any bugs whatsoever. Same with the level building thing, that never occured either, if you are experiencing these bugs then you're probably using an older version of the Lufia 2 ROM.

Well I play the real game in a real SNES no roms need. I never did that just heard as for bugs I was just muessing around and all my chars jump to high lvs like omg how it real happen I may never known.

I am currently playing Fable, and I can beat the thing if I choose, but I want to do all the side quests first.

Won in 19 hrs doing most the side stuff sad play time and nothing to do after last boss but kill all the towns with your Maybe new sword.

Still on Tales Of Destiny.

Also Found some Old PSone RPGs Star Ocean:The Second Story and Grandia 1 :)

Tales of Destiny 2 (PS1 version) I think is better. But it's tougher to find.

Grandia 1 is still, in my opinion, the best Grandia of the series and Grandia 1 is quite possibly the best RPG on the PS1, and that's even knowing it's inferior to the Saturn version! A great mix of play and story. Most RPGs either get too wrapped up in story (Final Fantasy) or fighting (any number of b-list PS1 RPGs--Legend of Dragoon, Saga Frontier 2, etc)

I'm playing Star Ocean 2 now and it's keeping my attention by its sheer gameplay value. Story's not great shakes but it's not horrible.

You mean Tales of Eternia for PSone the REAL TofD2 is only in japan PS2 Tales of Eternia for somereasson was named TofD2 Like somemeany other RPGs......

Anyway to news Not lot new Got STRETCH PANIC for PS2 and Goemons Great Adventures N64.

O and won at TofD so be moveing on been playing Advance Wars 2 again about done with Green Eath area Got get Black Hole Pipe line out then off to last lvs.

;) Are you talking about the Ancient Cave? I made it al the way to the 99th floor and I never encountered any bugs whatsoever. Same with the level building thing, that never occured either, if you are experiencing these bugs then you're probably using an older version of the Lufia 2 ROM.

Well I play the real game in a real SNES no roms need. I never did that just heard as for bugs I was just muessing around and all my chars jump to high lvs like omg how it real happen I may never known.

That's kinda the idea, I own the game but in this case I actually do need to play the rom to see what it's like without all of the bugs and glitches.

You guys are talking about the graphical glithes in Lufia 2, right? Did the European one fix this and did they do any big changes to the game?

I try my best to make the games I play worth the price I paid, like Grandia and DWVII. I just got done with the Zil Ruins at 75 hrs, training for moves sucked the time out of me. When I got Gadwin in Grandia, I knew that Justin would be able to learn Dragon Cut so I trained him hard to get that move. Alas, they didn't let me learn it until something had to happen. I got Heaven & Earth Cut after two or three battles in the Zil Desert. I did find the Cave and I just wanted to dip in a little to see what it was like, but I got caught up in it and went all the way in. The sad thing about that little adventure was the game freezing after getting the souls. After going over what happened, I came to the conclusion that I ignored one too many monsters (since the game was used and it is scratched a little, plus it froze before when I was just casting Diggin' fighting a group of 6 monsters), which caused the game to crash. Took a break from playing it and psyched myself up for the next go around in the cave, after relearning H&E Cut. I did manage to get everything (I think) in the cave and was able to go back to go save without it crashing on me. yay :biggrin: .

You guys are talking about the graphical glithes in Lufia 2, right? Did the European one fix this and did they do any big changes to the game?

The european version seems to be glitch free, but no changes otherwise.

Yo yo yo all

Time for some New games or some old Got Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge, KofF Maximum Impact, Red Dead Revolver, Ninja Gaiden, Enclave, And Serious Sam (Dont get last to for more the $5 or its rip off).

Got my list redone not 100% done yet >.<

;) I have just beat Earthbound (mother 2) for the Super NES. Right now though, I am not currently playing any games at this moment. Although, I'll probably start Paper Mario after I get Project 64. Since that is the only ROM that will probably play decently on my computer.

Haven't played many games lately. Been "gamed out" atleast with console-RPGs. College is already taking it's toll on me (Suppose to complete Cisco V [Advance Routing Configuring] and VI [Remote Access] in ONE semester! They are insane!). Well, I do have one game I'm looking forward too, coming Sept. 6th and that would be: Radiata Stories, by the makers of Star Ocean (tri-Ace). I'll probably pick it up this coming Friday, and play it during the weekend some. Probably last me a good month, haha.

Pretty much all free time is now officially reserved to Cisco...sigh. Just two more Cisco classes after V and VI...I can do it :D.

Edited by Thorr

Yeah, I've also not playing many games lately. I did beat a few games that were lingering around the last bit for a while a few days back, and I played maybe an hour or two of Gran Turismo 3, but that's about it this week.

I've mostly been reading. I can't seem to put down this "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. It's really quite good, though once I'm done the third book I'll have to wait for October or November for the 4th one. <_<

Guest Plattym3

Just finished Destiny of an Empire for the NES. Good game, got lost a lot with the Chinese names. I can remember Rimdular, Erdrick, Tantegal, etc., but Pan Chang, Cheng Ang, ... are a little beyond my uncultured taste. Thank goodness for a full map and walkthru!

Just finished Destiny of an Empire for the NES.  Good game, got lost a lot with the Chinese names.  I can remember Rimdular, Erdrick, Tantegal, etc., but Pan Chang, Cheng Ang, ... are a little beyond my uncultured taste.  Thank goodness for a full map and walkthru!

Then it probably wouldn't do much good to ask if you used Jiang Wei in the final battle.