Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woodus

Squeenix Disses Dq

Squeenix said is was going to port some of its older games to the Nintendo DS, but no DQ games were on the list.

Original Story

Square Enix considers DS ports

Questionnaire in new GBA game asks players which classic games they would want to see on the Nintendo DS.

TOKYO--Square Enix is contemplating porting a number of classic Square games to the Nintendo DS. According to early purchasers of Final Fantasy I & II for the Game Boy Advance in Japan, a questionnaire postcard included with the game asks the customers which game they would most like to see appear on Nintendo's upcoming handheld device. Available options were Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Seiken Densetsu, the Saga series, Front Mission, Chrono Trigger, Hanjuku Hero, and the Chocobo series.

Interestingly, the Final Fantasy titles that were released on the Super Nintendo, namely IV, V, and VI, were all grouped into a single check box on the questionnaire form. Final Fantasy III, which was released on the original Nintendo, was given a check box of its own. No Enix games, such as Dragon Quest, appeared on the form, though there was an area to write in a game not on the list.

Source: GameSpot

What I'd like to see is SE supporting both DS and PSP by splitting the ports it makes between Enix ports and Square ports, with 1 former company's ports going to one system and the other's going to the other.

;) It's becoming increasingly obvious that Enix is getting screwed despite being merged with square. But then again this might be because they want to see how DQVIII might do before releaseing any other DW/DQ game.

Guest Master Goku 2

Hmm.Mabey Enix is supporting FF fans because there are more of them?Or mabey someone who prev worked with FF just forgot about DW and wrote the pole with out it?I don't know but I don't like it.

They did announce a dq monsters game awhile ago for the ds. I wouldn't be surprised if they poped out a few torneko ds games just to milk some Japanese fans even more.

;) It's becoming increasingly obvious that Enix is getting screwed despite being merged with square. But then again this might be because they want to see how DQVIII might do before releaseing any other DW/DQ game.

That theory works for the American side of things but not the Japanese. As Dquester pointed out, Squeenix has already announced they are going to do a DQ Monters game for the system. So they already made up their mind on which DQ title is going to appear on it first. There is no "conspiracy" going on. So the title, "Squeenix Disses Dq" IMO is a misnomer. I was even going have a reference link but it seems my archives are missing May when that was from. I'll have to fix that after work.

I know they annouced a new game for it, but it just seems FF gets all the attention for things like this.

Well it was a FF game that the cards were handed out in.

I know they annouced a new game for it, but it just seems FF gets all the attention for things like this.

Ok but you have multiple factors going on here in this situation. The card was shipped with a FF game. The first DQ game for the DS has already been decided. And it wasn't just FF games on the list. Squeenix is trying to get japanese fan feedback on what series they are going to do next. If the feedback was right, you could see the next DQ monsters game and another remake of CT before you even see any FF game. The only realistic thing I could see the fans being upset about is that unlike the FF series where they seemingly have a choice in what FF game they'll see first, with DQ they don't. It's already been decided. Another DQ monsters game. No feedback required or wanted. And look it at this way. Assuming the DQM game they announced is a new one in the series, DQ fans are going to have it better at first. FF fans get yet ANOTHER remake. DQ fans get some original content.

Ok, here's the link I was talking about earlier. http://dqnn.alefgard.com/archives/2004/may04.html#ds

IMO, Square Enix continues to operate as two seperate entities. Enix content is produced for and sold in Japan, and Square content is produced and sold worldwide.

Former Enix products are being developed and released in Japan (where they do sell the vast majority of old Enix's products), and the Square Enix Co. Ltd. (Japan) website at least seems to promote equally Enix and Square's old product line.

Former Square products are being promoted with the titles like FF, and this too seems to be the focus of (NA division) Square Enix, Inc. Although a release date for Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time has be set, they haven't made a section for the game on their site. The entire site seems, to me, to have been designed by a Squaresoft fan.

I disagree with that. You've got Star Ocean, DQVIII, and Full Metal Alchemist coming over here, all titles that would have been Enix titles. Drakenguard, which has already been released, would have been an Enix title. DQVIII is going to Europe. When was the last time Europe saw a DQ title from the main series? They don't seem to want to release DQ side games over here till they have foothold with how well they can push VIII over here. I totally agree with your SO complaints though. It's weird they don't have an official site yet. There's an irony about your web designer remark. Even though you were implying something else, the site was designed by a Squaresoft fan (or at least hired by them) since I think the site is basically a revamped version of the old Square USA site.

As for the topic in general:

http://dqnn.alefgard.com/#slime

Now you have two DQ games being developed for the DS.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of the FF series franchise. They have done it to death, all sorts of spells, plots, characters, etc.

I'd like to see DW 8 before any new FF games, because DW series need the 3-D graphics and stuff way more than the next FF game.

If it was up to me, I'd release DW 8 first, then following THAT, release FF 12. So we'll boost DW sales before FF 12 as people buy DW 8 as a "appetizer" before the big FF 12 arrives. This will help DW series sell better in the USA, hopefully bringing it to parity with the FF series.

One can hope.

Well since DQVIII is slated for Winter in Japan and FFXII is slated for some time in the spring, it looks like that might happen.

EGM even has rumors about that concerning the American side:

http://dqnn.alefgard.com/archives/2004/jul04.html#@

I can't blame Squeenix for being a bit reluctant to bring over DW games, considering how unimpressive DWVII's reaction was stateside.

DWVIII looks to be a fairly large improvement in terms of both graphics and interface (which should score well with fans who grew up on FFVII and the likes), and it'll not be released around the same time as a mainstream FF game. Hopefully, it'll do well, and maybe Squeenix will start porting the DQ IV and V remakes.. :biggrin:

There seems to be a lot of debate on this topic and it seems like Slime and Pendy do have points on one hand it seems like Square seems to be getting more out of this than Enix does but on the other hand Pendy is right you have all the games that already came out for Enix... but if you look you already have games such as DW1, DW2, and DW3 that have already come out on both GBC and GBA. Now if we are talking about remakes i.e. like with the Repirse editions for the SFC than we gotta a whole new story here. But you have to look at the factors in this against DW/DQ...

1. The questionare was released in a Final Fantasy game

2. They have already released the DW series again and again not to mention the upcoming DQVIII and the new DQM coming out for the DS

3. If japan doesn't like it than nobody does (iow it won't make it to the u.s.)

So you see these things factor out the possiblity of remakes of DQ coming to the DS.

' but if you look you already have games such as DW1, DW2, and DW3 that have already come out on both GBC and GBA.' Are you sure there are gba dq1-3 games made? Its been almost 4 years since they released a handheld ver of a game in the main dq series in Japan. Hopefully they will do a dq4gba but there hasn't been even a peep about them even thinking about doing it.

I'm almost sure if not 100% positive that if they do come out with a DWIV game it'll be on either the following systems DS, PSP, PS2 in english anyway. To anwser your question though I'm not talking about actual remakes but the games themselves rather have you checked your local K-bee toy store or toys R us latley all the oldies for 30$ a piece in my mind that's a rip off for buying a game (such as donkey kong) that only will last for around 15 minutes and it's done but well you can't argue with the bigboys.

' but if you look you already have games such as DW1, DW2, and DW3 that have already come out on both GBC and GBA.' Are you sure there are gba dq1-3 games made? Its been almost 4 years since they released a handheld ver of a game in the main dq series in Japan. Hopefully they will do a dq4gba but there hasn't been even a peep about them even thinking about doing it.

Yeah Enix always seemed to be more into concentrating on making really pimped out remixes for home consoles (DQIV, DQV, DQM1+2). Even the DQ1+2 and DQ3 remixes seemed to be after thoughts since they were really just remakes of the SFC (SNES) remakes. They seem to concentrate on their DQM and now Slime Morimori series when it comes to handhelds.

DQ1+2 and 3 for GBC came out after DQ1+2 and 3 for SFC did.

So wait until DQ6 is released for PS2, then look for DQ4, 5, and 6 remade on PSP/DS (it would be cheaper and to do so on the PSP though).

We don't necessarily rely on Japan's likes and dislikes.

There were several games made just in the USA, like Secret of Evermore. (Although its quality is open to debate).

I think its high time that the bloated FF empire is toppled by DW or BoF. I feel this way because there needs to be more RPG competition in the USA. As we all know, competition is excellent because it will force companies to develop better and better RPG's to defeat its competition. Just like about everything else.

DQ1+2 and 3 for GBC came out after DQ1+2 and 3 for SFC did.

So wait until DQ6 is released for PS2, then look for DQ4, 5, and 6 remade on PSP/DS (it would be cheaper and to do so on the PSP though).

Hey good point. With the PSP's specs it could definitely handle a port of the DQIV or DQV remakes. If it can handle Gran Turismo 4 (as it's going to) then we could possibly see some nice ports over here.

Erdrick: The Japanese sponsored american made RPGs so far like Secret of Evermore or FF Mystic Quest (call FF US in Japan I believe) are mostly considered to be horrible games and did not do well here at all. And what pisses me off about those was that we ended up getting SoE instead of Seiken Denetsu 3 (Mana game) and instead of FFV we ended getting FFMQ. Both great games that for a long while we missed out on.

Also, I think there's plenty of competition here. Besides the ones you've mentioned, there's the Shadow Hearts/Koudelka, Suikoden, Front Mission, Golden Sun, Tales, Xenosaga, Legaia, and Wild Arms series to choose from. And there's the company that makes Phantom Brave, Disgaea, and La Pucelle Tactics.

Also, I think there's plenty of competition here. Besides the ones you've mentioned, there's the Shadow Hearts/Koudelka, Suikoden, Front Mission, Golden Sun, Tales, Xenosaga, Legaia, and Wild Arms series to choose from. And there's the company that makes Phantom Brave, Disgaea, and La Pucelle Tactics.

Nippon-Ichi is the company you're thinking of. They also were the ones that created Rhapsody.

Yeah, I agree with Pendy. They're more competiton now than pretty much ever, for RPG's. You have Nippon-Ichi making a stateside impact, not to mention several new series coming to the forefront.

Star Ocean 3, Suikoden 4, the new Tales game, Phantom Brave, and Shadow Hearts 2 all fairly soon.

Square's eariler successes have paved the way for this. They milk the main FF series.. so what? It just draws more people into RPG gaming.