Esturk

What's the best game in the DW series?

4 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

I can see where those traits of DQ5 could be off-putting and I do agree that the "Hey, you're NOT the Legendary Hero" plot twist was annoying. I feel like they tried to make up for it by putting the Sun Crown, Pallium Regale, Shimmering Shield, and Dragon Staff in the game... you know, kind of a subtle nod to let you know, yeah, your not the Legendary Hero, buy you're still our Hero.

I thought the first two Monsters games were glorious. I couldn't really get into Caravan Heart. The Joker games... well... they could have done better.

7 for the PS1 is my favorite Dragon Quest game. Head and shoulders above the rest of the series. Everyone's got their own opinion, especially as far as music goes, but I felt like 8's music was good, but lesser than a lot of the other games in the series, orchestral or not. I am really happy that the music is better than the music from the games after it. Dragon Quest 9, in particular, had a super weak soundtrack.

I agree on 8 being the last game with actual DQ music of quality 9 had like 2 good songs. 11’s soundtrack is awful even the orchestra isn’t that good. But that’s my main disappointment I feel 8 had some cool stuff but after 8, 9 wasn’t impressive even though it was my first DQ game there’s a lot to hate it for and it bugs me, however, starting at 8 we have started to get bland stories and a

non-varied/intersting world just look at 9. I’m at Serenea and Veronica’s home, and so far the story of 11 is pretty basic it has a chance to get more interesting but the towns and cities all seem pretty generic so far. I’m loving the presentation of 11, however, I feel it has some blatant flaws. Octopath did this to, but in DQ11 there’s so many NPC’s that you can’t even talk to which is so dumb to me, talking to NPCs is like what I do in DQ games. I feel like Jade is a terrible character, not because of her personality, but the awkward position they put here in like sometimes she’s your sister and sometimes she’s like your girl and it makes no sense at all what the game intended. People are saying they want to marry her instead of Gemma, however, I probably wouldn’t even do this because it would seem kind of wrong in certain ways if you get my gist. And I know DQ has always had this problem but too many abilities in this game are useless as always, I don’t think it’s okay for the 11th entry at this point. Look I’m loving this game only 35 hours in so I’m probably wrong about the story being generic, we’ll see, but my god the soundtrack is so bad I would rather listen to the original DW NES more, the music has become that degrading. The game is to linear it’s literally unavoidable, as it shows you what to do as soon as you open the map, I loved the original games as they were very heavy on discovering things yourself and being an active investigator of the world, DQ11 is more about characters putting clues together in a cutscene rather than you getting to figure it out. For example, when you finally get Rab and Jade, rab tells you the that mordagen (spelt wrong) is the big bad behind everything, whether this will end up happening in the main story not sure, however, I think it would have been much more impactful if you got to discover slowly who mordegon was and his name throughout your journey rather than a dude just saying “Yep it’s definitely Mordagen” (I don’t know if Mordagen is even behind anything in the story cause I’m not there yet, but you get my gist).

Edited by sad46

XI is objectively the best Dragon Quest, it has does everything the previous games do and better: A likeable cast that gets developed unlike any other DQ, a great story, makes you cry like V, makes you laugh like VIII, even without vocations the character building is pretty good, the only thing is that its original soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired, and its carried single handedly by the legacy OST which packs a lot of nostalgia to those of us that have played these series for over a decade and in this day and age of DLC (looking at you FFXV) DQXI manages to be a complete, polished game whose extra content comes already in the game.

• Upvote 1

DQXI doesn't let you play with your friends or play as an adorable little puku. Nor does it keep going and going and going for literally years. Also, it's soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired [damn, you already said it].

Dragon Quest X is the best game I've ever played in my life. Even with my very limited understanding of the story (I can't really read Japanese - just katakana - I honestly skip a lot of text and use Google Translate for important-looking scenes) it's just as moving as any part of XI. Most of the original music in the game beats IX's or XI's soundtracks way out of the park, and the music returning from older games is mostly from my favorite soundtracks of the series. The only real detractor at all (besides the language barrier) is that the game's tech is showing it's age. Even at 4K60 on PC after the "PS4 graphics" update, the game still uses pretty much the same model and texture detail as the Wii version did at 480p30 (even going so far as to include 480p pre-rendered cutscenes in all HD/4K versions of the game) - with minor improvements, such as dynamic lighting/shadows. Still, it pushes what I thought the Wii could have ever done, and I tend not to care about graphics so much as long as they serve the gameplay and don't look like total a*s.

One thing I can say de facto DQX got better than DQXI, is cinematics. While Crystal Tools doesn't look as pretty as Unreal Engine 4, DQX has far, far better cinematic work. Almost never in a cutscene are there characters just standing up straight and talking - there's always SOMETHING going on. Animations are fluid and expressive.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

For me, probably Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES. 

Impressive what a huge story that is packed on a tiny cartridge. And so much to still do and find even though I've beaten it twice.

I'm more a fan of the old chunsoft 80s/early 90s graphic style as well.

• Like 1

The "best" is probably 8 or 11 due to their simple nature and ease of understanding for newer players. My favorite is 3, though.

I don't know about 'best' Dragon Quest game but my favourite DQ is DQMJ2. I remember the first time I saw the Wormonger, I thought that it was so cool. I've easily sunk 400hrs into that game alone. Never got a chance to play with the Wi-Fi however. Out of the mainline games, my favourite is XI because I just loved everything about it and I can't wait for the Switch version.

I haven’t finished the game yet, so my opinion isn’t solidified, but 11 is certainly fighting for a top two spot in my list of favorite DQ games.

Posted (edited)

The best game is clearly <insert personal favorite game> and it's not because I'm biased or anything, it's just facts!

Memes aside, my vote goes to 11 because I haven't finished 3, 5 or 8 yet.

Edited by Kakugo