What's the best game in the DW series?

DQXI doesn't let you play with your friends or play as an adorable little puku. Nor does it keep going and going and going for literally years. Also, it's soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired [damn, you already said it].

Dragon Quest X is the best game I've ever played in my life. Even with my very limited understanding of the story (I can't really read Japanese - just katakana - I honestly skip a lot of text and use Google Translate for important-looking scenes) it's just as moving as any part of XI. Most of the original music in the game beats IX's or XI's soundtracks way out of the park, and the music returning from older games is mostly from my favorite soundtracks of the series. The only real detractor at all (besides the language barrier) is that the game's tech is showing it's age. Even at 4K60 on PC after the "PS4 graphics" update, the game still uses pretty much the same model and texture detail as the Wii version did at 480p30 (even going so far as to include 480p pre-rendered cutscenes in all HD/4K versions of the game) - with minor improvements, such as dynamic lighting/shadows. Still, it pushes what I thought the Wii could have ever done, and I tend not to care about graphics so much as long as they serve the gameplay and don't look like total a*s.

One thing I can say de facto DQX got better than DQXI, is cinematics. While Crystal Tools doesn't look as pretty as Unreal Engine 4, DQX has far, far better cinematic work. Almost never in a cutscene are there characters just standing up straight and talking - there's always SOMETHING going on. Animations are fluid and expressive.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • 4 months later...
  • Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, all. After quite the sojourn to central Florida, I'm back... and my baby is gone!   That's quite alright. It's time to start anew... and I'm really going to go out on a limb here:   The best g

My favorite game in the main series is Dragon Quest V, but I also really like III, IV, and XI.   In terms of ranking them to me personally: DQV DQIII DQIV DQXI

In DQV, I am probably only half way through the game.  I am taking way too long to beat this game...

For me, probably Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES. 

Impressive what a huge story that is packed on a tiny cartridge. And so much to still do and find even though I've beaten it twice.

I'm more a fan of the old chunsoft 80s/early 90s graphic style as well.

• Like 1

I don't know about 'best' Dragon Quest game but my favourite DQ is DQMJ2. I remember the first time I saw the Wormonger, I thought that it was so cool. I've easily sunk 400hrs into that game alone. Never got a chance to play with the Wi-Fi however. Out of the mainline games, my favourite is XI because I just loved everything about it and I can't wait for the Switch version.

• 1 month later...

The best game is clearly <insert personal favorite game> and it's not because I'm biased or anything, it's just facts!

Memes aside, my vote goes to 11 because I haven't finished 3, 5 or 8 yet.

Edited by Kakugo
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite game in the main series is Dragon Quest V, but I also really like III, IV, and XI.

In terms of ranking them to me personally:

1. DQV
  2. DQIII
  3. DQIV
  4. DQXI
  5. DQVIII
  6. DQVII
  7. DQI
  8. DQII
  9. DQVI
  10. DQIX

IX is the only one I haven't finished mainly because I found it to be boring. Strangely though, I'm not really sure why I find it boring; just can't bring myself to investing a lot of time into it.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

After getting into Builders 2 a bit, I'm going to tack in the spinoffs.  So of the versions I've played:

1. VII 3DS => VII PSX >>>
  2. III GBC => III SFC >
  3. III NES >>
  4. Dragon Quest Builders 2 >
  5. XI Switch >
  6. VI DS => VI SFC = IX >
  7. Dragon Quest Builders >
  8. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker >
  9. Dragon Quest Monsters 2 >
  10. Dragon Quest Monsters 1 >
  11. XI PS4 >
  12. III Mobile >
  13. VIII 3DS >
  14. V DS >
  15. V PS2 >
  16. VIII PS2 >
  17. V SFC >
  18. IV DS >= IV PSX >
  19. Swords >
  20. Rocket Slime >
  21. IV NES >>>>>>>
  22. II SFC => II GBC >
  23. Heroes 2 >
  24. II NES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  25. I (all versions)
Edited by ignasia
  • 1 month later...

Really hard to argue against VII, VIII, IX, XI and Monsters Joker 2 being the best, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Don't make me choose.

Choose or beat it bub, we're Dragon Quest fans here, not Dragon Quests fans!

You know how it goes...

6e3ea0898ab13534d90a4e9964a7c305.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, Plattym3 said:

Choose or beat it bub, we're Dragon Quest fans here, not Dragon Quests fans! emoji12.png

You know how it goes...

6e3ea0898ab13534d90a4e9964a7c305.jpg

I'd my favorite game is the SNES version of DQ6 or DQ9.

Best modern: XI

Best classic: IV

4 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

I'd my favorite game is the SNES version of DQ6 or DQ9.

Both good choices.

Haha. I knew you'd be gaslit by that. :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

6 emoji1785.pngemoji2961.png4f1619649a80962c3211f3f0bc5dcb35.jpg

That picture and sick emoji also applies for DQ9.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

They're good games guys.

DQ6 is good. DQ9 isn’t.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

All of you are wrong, it's V clearly.

• 2 months later...