Esturk

What's the best game in the DW series?

Not really. Just remember to use Insulatle and make good use of healing. If he is hard then either you're not using good tactics or you need to get a few levels... or some better monsters for your team.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

It took me a few tries. I just had to level a bit, I think.

Dragon Quest V

Edited by Jamiras

I haven't actually played a great deal of the games.

I've played:

Dragon Warrior I (incomplete, don't remember where the hell I got to)

Dragon Warrior II (incomplete, barely made progress)

Dragon Warrior IV (complete, beaten to oblivion more times than I care to share)

Dragon Quest VI (incomplete, farthest I made it was acquiring the floating island and found out I missed Amos. Quite late, so I restarted. Now at Ghent.)

Dragon Quest VIII (complete, beaten about five times total)

Dragon Quest IX (incomplete, and quite frankly, not loving it)

Dragon Warrior Monsters (complete, beaten one or two times)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (incomplete, just started)

Dragon Quest Swords (incomplete, just got the game Friday)

Ha. It wasn't until I made this list that I realised my history with Dragon Quest is kinda sad despite how much I go bonkers over it. Admittedly, a lot of these games I didn't finish because of other circumstances.

I would say IV was the best but my opinion is somewhat biased since I have an extensive history and love with and for that game. Plus it's one of only three that I've actually completed. I do love VIII something awful fierce though. VI is pretty good, but the fact that it's so linear is a big negative.

I've enjoyed playing most of the other games in the series. I started a file on DQMJ but so far I'm not sure about my first impressions. Swords is looking promising to me. I might've gotten farther if I hadn't messed up my hand at work a couple days before I was gifted it though.

Edited by Litany

VI is pretty good, but the fact that it's so linear is a big negative.

That's funny. DQ6 is often criticized because of its non-linearity. From reading your other thread, it sounds like you stopped right before the point where it gets non-linear. Stick with it. I'm sure you will like it. Also, I found DQ Swords to be incredibly addictive. I hope you give it a good chance when your hand heals up.

DQ V... SFC.

Melodramatic (in a good way), surprising (for me at the time), PLUS nice, clean, old school graphics. I guess I'm a fan of the CG design at Chunsoft back in the day. Heartbeat's style was...more detailed but definitely messier. There's something about that clean look. NES games could be like that - one person's detail is another person's horrible mess (I never understood why FF was 'Superior graphically...it just looked like a mess to me!)

The DS remake was good, and I'm sure the PS2 version is also, but I think I prefer the SFC version. I think it would have helped if the DS remakes had used unique sprites and had the over-world graphics been more of a unique thing, too.

VI is pretty good, but the fact that it's so linear is a big negative.

That's funny. DQ6 is often criticized because of its non-linearity. From reading your other thread, it sounds like you stopped right before the point where it gets non-linear. Stick with it. I'm sure you will like it. Also, I found DQ Swords to be incredibly addictive. I hope you give it a good chance when your hand heals up.

I definitely do like VI a lot and will be sticking to it. Up to the point I had played before it was so linear.

And what I've played of DQ Swords is definitely addictive. I didn't want to put it down but I had to so I wouldn't strain my hand further. I don't like the archers though. I can never figure out how to time the swipes.

Edited by Litany

And what I've played of DQ Swords is definitely addictive. I didn't want to put it down but I had to so I wouldn't strain my hand further. I don't like the archers though. I can never figure out how to time the swipes.

Ha ha. Yeah, you'll definitely get the hand of it before long. I used to hate it when two archers would fire at once, but now I find nothing more satisfying than killing two archers by deflecting both their arrows with a single swipe. Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game and also that you are going to stick it out with DQ6.

I'm not sure why people do not like the Non-Linear Plot of DQ VI.. the non-linear plot only occurs after beating Murdaw and the start of your hunt for the Legendary Gear, but once you gather all four, The story pretty much goes in a straight line. :)

I'm not sure why people do not like the Non-Linear Plot of DQ VI.. the non-linear plot only occurs after beating Murdaw and the start of your hunt for the Legendary Gear, but once you gather all four, The story pretty much goes in a straight line. :)

Yeah, there really is no problem with the DS version. In the translated SFC version though, I think it was a bit more difficult to pick up on the clues as to where to go next. That doesn't excuse you from just exploring and finding out for yourself though, but I would guess that is where the non-linear hate comes from.

Hello everyone! I'm new here ans this is my first post, but I hope you'll see me around from now on.

I must say that III and VI are my favourites. Specially VI enthralled me, maybe because it was the first one I ever played. Besides that I think that DQI deserves a special place, because it is the first, but mainly because of the great feeling of epicity that you have when playing it. I can still remember how much exitement I felt when fighting the true form of the dragon lord (Oh yeah! That dragon is the one from the awesome cover!)

My favorite is DQ V, for most of the same reasons as its other fans. The life story of The Hero, the monster recruitment, the family of main characters, it all resonates with me. My other two favorites are IV and VIII, no particular order.

so dragon quest ix is no dought (if thats how you spell that word)this, i mean for shore worst story line ever-for dragon quest, no.vi best storyfor me didn't understand it (i happen to realy lijke that:})-and dragon quest viii has now dought bthe berst graphics, though i do love top down rgp's alot more (reminder of yourth or some thing any way its the best way to have a rpg) and realy realy realy hope the dragon quest thay make for the 3ds is like this;though i im not dissing is it is no way (mm where was I hmm)

a ye so there is no dought- (please do tell me if im spelling that wrong)-we have all played through each dragon quest story alot of time, but have you played any dragon quest game as long as this,i mean i'm over 600 hour(can't be botherd looking at the moment in the middle of playing dragon quest 8 again you see, so can't be paying both at the same time-head frazzle- i get to much it to you game)mm im lost again, im writing this using my wii so can't see what i was just writing about easy auff,mm so mm i have storys for each character know any way can't tell you to much- your wasting my time, but just a start for you carla and paloo are sisters (carla the youngest paloo the oldest-paloo has trouble fittong into the group(have to stop my self there))

lost again computer died you see

mm so perhap the lack each character being in the story line works out for the best

o ye its in a hand held which is like a dream for me i play it ever where i go (though if you want to know i didnt play game for along time at some point thats why the in game times so low i was to busy - well it seem like a long tim)

mm im lost just so you know im drunk right know and mm da.m what was i going to say mmn welll big up dragon quest ix yahoo!!! + it's back on a nintendo console

p.ps if you you say the first dragon quest game is the best im not going to dissagree bye

• Upvote 1

Wow. That's difficult to understand. All I can tell you is that it's spelled "doubt". Anything else you said? Forget about it.

I love D.Q.9 but D.Q.8 has 2 b my favorite otherwise i've played 1 Dragon Worrior gane and it's Dragon Worrior Monsters 2 Tara's Adventure(I think that's what it's called) :biggrin:

dqv

DQV is the first game of the series I ever tried playing, and for some reason, even going over the other stories of the other games in the main series, I find it to be the most interesting with what all the hell the characters have to go through before they finally get their happy endings, and even then, some never do get their personal happy endings. o.o;

Seems like a lot of people have missed III somehow. YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME!!! It is my favorite of the series, and 2nd in RPG's only to Lufia II.

Oh, and as for Lufia II... also a must play. Off topic I know, and I know it requires a working NES, Gameboy color, SNES import, or some form of computer download but pick the way you like to play and make it happen. The story and gameplay will NOT disappoint.

For me I believe I rank the favorite few like this:

III > V > VI > I > VIII > IV > IX > II (love VII but haven't finished so it is not ranked) Nothing against II, just not as memorable to me, and IX with all it's infinite hours of play, just didn't have the story to overcome some of the others. Story is key for me.

Edited by speedracer216

Yeah, there really is no problem with the DS version. In the translated SFC version though, I think it was a bit more difficult to pick up on the clues as to where to go next. That doesn't excuse you from just exploring and finding out for yourself though, but I would guess that is where the non-linear hate comes from.

Just a side note - I love how people complain about non-linearity, but then you give them a game like FF13, which is very linear, and people complain about that too. No way to please people is there?

On Topic - Has to be DQV for me. Although the SNES version has the horrible flaw of a 3 person party limit, it was still beyond my favorite. The storytelling...even when it was a fan translation...is just awesome. Living through the Hero's life from childhood really had an impact on me, even though in the end it's the same DQ storyline (Demon Lord tries to destroy the world, Stop him!), it was just done so excellently, that I could do nothing but love it. Add in the extreme party customization from the very second you get to choose your own party, and you get the best game in the series in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

For me, I have played DW 1 through 7. Never got to play DW 8 or 9.

DW 1 was the granddaddy of them all. Funny thing, it was the second DW game I played. DW 2 was my first.

DW 2 was the first DW game I played and got me hooked on the series. It was hard for me because I wasn't familiar with RPG's when I played it. Yep, no Final Fantasy yet for me at that time. My first Final Fantasy played was on the SNES- FF 4. Anyways, I had the toughest time with the last area, the Rhone cave, killing the bosses at Hargon's castle, and then Hargon and Malroth at the very end.

DW 3 because of its customability and the option to do a true solo quest. Succeed where Ortega failed. I like both the NES classic and the GBC remake (try doing Divinegon solo!).

DW 4 was a nice change with the chapters. It was kind of like playing through a book. It was the first DW to have a wagon and changing in / out party members on the fly.

DW 5 had the family theme and spans generations rather than worlds. I thought that was pretty nice because I can't recall any other great classic games that pulls off that kind of theme. Chrono Trigger involved time travel but didn't quite have the "dad, son, and son's children" plus marrying your fellow adventurer (Bianca) during the actual gameplay itself (not epilogues) aspect. Add in recruiting monsters. You could have a full party of monsters, and you could recruit about 40 different kinds of monsters.

DW 6 was interesting with the dream world. I liked that flying bed! I wish I could fly around like that. Forget dragons, airships, magic carpets... so cliche. But a flying bed? Now that's original! Also they had the recruitable monsters. It only had 18, but they could class change along with the main human party characters.

DW 7...re-playing through that right now. I like its epicness, restoring the world one piece at a time like a puzzle. I liked a few other things like the immigrant town and the option to play as monster classes. Getting the monster hearts was hell, though. Not so much anymore with codes.

I could expand moreon each, but these are the main points on why I liked each DW game.

• Upvote 1

About linearity...

In I you can start wandering around half of the world before doing anything useful.

Getting the crests in II... Linear? By no means!

III got the orbs guys!

IV, V and VI... Time to get legendary equipment! Did any of you feel like following a straight path? I didn't.

VII and VIII cannot tell yet.

Although in IX you get some more guidance on where to go next I still remeber when I got the fygg from the tower east of alltrades, which was my second one, and had to read what Stella said, something like "congratulations! Got your first fygg!" Just silly....

Point is that I wouldn't tell any of the DQ's is linear.

Edited by Son Of Roto

My top 3 Dragon quest games are

1. Dragon Quest VIII

2. Dragon Quest VII

3. Dragon Quest V

I have to check and see how much my list has changed, but as of today, I'd rank in this order.

Great:

V - I loved the story with this. What edged this out over IV with the remake was the party chat inclusion. This was the high point of the DQ series where everything clicks and ranks with one of my top RPG's of all time.

IV - Same as V, except the removal of party chat dampered it a little. The remake accents were a mixed bag.

VII - Really grew on me to the point where I put this in the same category as the other two. The shard hunting can be a pain, but it's the only real problem I sometimes have with the game.

VIII - The best Squeenix game for PS2. By far. The party is shortened to four characters total (and King/Medea), but it makes up for that with the depth of the story.

Good

III - The most old school of the games. This and FFI are near copies of one another IMO in style. Four characters team up to get Mr Big. It's the first with a surprise ending and I think that really makes this a big favorite for a lot of folks here.

VI - It's a good game, but it's missing something IMO that IV and V had with the rest of the Zenethian Trilogy.

II - For a real challenge, play this game. The NES version. This game introduced the party system to JRPGS. (Ultima was Western). It was a good expansion of DQ1 and is the "last" game chronology in the Erdrick series.

I - It started it all. It's as basic as it gets, but it's 25 years old. It's not bad at all, but it's aged.

Average

IX - This and VI were the ones that fell below expectations. It tried to be III in a lot of ways, but struck me as III-lite. I think the basic quest was real short, and I don't play multplayer games. For side quests, I usually prefer them before facing Mr Big. I may give this another go, but I expected better from a DQ game. I can see where some folks would love it, but I absolutely hated having to start from level 1 on class changes. In III, it works the same, but the only class change with anything was sage.

Bad:

None of them