Esturk

What's the best game in the DW series?

I dunno, really. I played it for about 5 hours and just didn't want to play anymore. I didn't find the game interesting at all. I probably should try to play more again, since the last time I played it was like 6 years ago and just wasn't pleased with anything about it. Something about it didn't feel like a DQ game...sort of like DQM:J2.

Mind you, I'm old school Dragon Warrior. I started with DW1 back in the mid 80's when I was a kid...and to this day I love them. I was even featured in an issue of Nintendo Power a couple years ago because of my massive collection...so I have a good grasp of what I like about DW/DQ. I can't put my finger on what it was about 6 that I disliked so much.

I dunno, really. I played it for about 5 hours and just didn't want to play anymore. I didn't find the game interesting at all. I probably should try to play more again, since the last time I played it was like 6 years ago and just wasn't pleased with anything about it. Something about it didn't feel like a DQ game...sort of like DQM:J2.

I see. Yeah it may be worth another shot at some point. Probably when the DS version hits, that would be a good time to give it another chance.

That's too bad about DQMJ2. I haven't played it at all, so I certainly can't comment. I'm surprised it's that different from DQMJ.

Yeah, I planned on giving 6 another shot on DS. I actually own all of the Japanese games too, so I've played most of those (unless there's a Us release on the horizon, then I usually just wait) but haven't touched 6 yet.

I tried to give DQM:J2 a chance, but I really didn't like how they set up the "worlds/dungeons". I found it very confusing to navigate, the story was lame, and really felt much more confined and linear than DQM:J which was more of a DQ8 sister title in terms of gameplay/exploration. They have this weird thing in most areas where a giant monster will come into the field occassionally and you have to avoid it. That really made exploring a pain. I didn't care for any of the characters either.

I read a bunch of reviews for Joker 2 saying how much more improved it is over the first...I just can't get into it. I don't know. I guess I don't fit into the mainstram DQ Lovers society. I seem to prefer the ones people don't like, and hate the ones everyone raves about.

Edited by ENIX

I read a bunch of reviews for Joker 2 saying how much more improved it is over the first...I just can't get into it. I don't know. I guess I don't fit into the mainstram DQ Lovers society. I prefer the more classic style ones.

Nothing wrong with that. The old school games need their lovin' too.

You know, I like DQ9 but I have issues with it's story/dialogue; it's really bad and hard to understand - it just felt childish to me. I actually place it just above DW4/DQ6 in my list. I think it would have definitely benefitted from having a battle system enhancement like in DQM:J where you can just hit the "Go" button and have your party all just attack...sometimes it got tiring to keep selecting the same attacks over and over for each character.

I was also a bit disappointed in the main game that they sold this idea that you would be able to effectively dress your team the way you wanted, but you really can't if you don't want to get your ass kicked. All of the fun dress up and customization doesn't come till post game. The post game experience is so much better than the main game.

All in all, I wish the localized version would have just balls'd up and played it more adult.

You know, I like DQ9 but I have issues with it's story/dialogue; it's really bad and hard to understand - it just felt childish to me. I actually place it just above DW4/DQ6 in my list. I think it would have definitely benefitted from having a battle system enhancement like in DQM:J where you can just hit the "Go" button and have your party all just attack...sometimes it got tiring to keep selecting the same attacks over and over for each character.

I was also a bit disappointed in the main game that they sold this idea that you would be able to effectively dress your team the way you wanted, but you really can't if you don't want to get your ass kicked. All of the fun dress up and customization doesn't come till post game. The post game experience is so much better than the main game.

All in all, I wish the localized version would have just balls'd up and played it more adult.

Oh, I totally agree about the story line. Once you have played a nice gritty Dragon Quest game like DQ5 PS2, DQ3 or DQ6, it's really hard to stomache the cutesy translation and plot line of DQ9. Post game content is definitely where it's at.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't make you aware of the "Go Button" for DQ9. You can adjust the tactics of your party as shown in the following image:

GoButton.png

I know about tactics, but it's not 'right there' like the Go button was.

My Favourite is DQVII

I liked the Story and hell was it long!

Classes-System like DQVI and other things like the Monster Village just were so much fun

I love every DQ-Title, but this is the best

hhmmm my favorite is DWM 2, DQ4,DQ8 and 9.

well, after some dilemna i chose DQ 9, because it has the best post game despite it has a not so great world ( yeah just going somewhere, then collect fyggs, then go to a volcano, freed celestrian and final battle. so short.) And since it connects to man dqs through cameos and legacy bosses which more interesting. and the longest time play on dq ever ( unless you are a DQ 7 maniac.)

But i guess DW7 is better once i got a chance to play it.

DQ5 is my favorite game in the series. Everything about this game was great (except graphics, but I don't care): Gameplay (I'm an impatient person, so I want things to get done ASAP. The pace of the battles and traveling were perfect for someone like me), storyline (I was like, :o when

the hero's dad was murdered,

among other things), music (*hums ship theme*) and post-game content (on the final boss, but Estark looks almost impossible. Something to grind for when I beat the last boss!) Overall I'd give this game a 9/10, because the plot and post-game content are so short, and some plot points felt random and out-of-place to me (*coughZoomingalecough*). Other than that, the game was excellent.

DQ5 is my favorite game in the series. Everything about this game was great (except graphics, but I don't care): Gameplay (I'm an impatient person, so I want things to get done ASAP. The pace of the battles and traveling were perfect for someone like me), storyline (I was like, :o when

among other things), music (*hums ship theme*) and post-game content (on the final boss, but Estark looks almost impossible. Something to grind for when I beat the last boss!) Overall I'd give this game a 9/10, because the plot and post-game content are so short, and some plot points felt random and out-of-place to me (*coughZoomingalecough*). Other than that, the game was excellent.

If you don't like the Graphics, you should check out the PS2 version.

Screenshots.

dq5ps2_143.jpg

Wow, a topic that's gonna be 10 years old. Man, it's like time travel- I even see posts exclaiming how excited they are for DQ4 PS1. Damn...nostalgia trip.

If you don't like the Graphics, you should check out the PS2 version.

Screenshots.

dq5ps2_143.jpg

I saw that; I just didn't think about it when I wrote that mini-review. It's like N64 graphics!

My favorite is DQMJ or DQ IV DS.

IV story is awesome and jokers gameplay is wonderful. Haven´t tried V for DS yet (since it´s hard to get your hands on), so maybe ill like that more. Everyone seems to like it.

I actually quite like the graphics, but I'm glad you hold DQV so highly. :D And Estark isn't that bad. I beat him with just over 50 hours on my game. The stuff you get in the last area/last TnT board really help out. I never attempted beating the other secret boss, though.

My favorite is DQMJ or DQ IV DS.

IV story is awesome and jokers gameplay is wonderful. Haven´t tried V for DS yet (since it´s hard to get your hands on), so maybe ill like that more. Everyone seems to like it.

I really hope you get to play it! It's so good :D

Of all the games I've played (I, II, IV, V, VI, VIII, IX), V is my favourite, followed by VIII! I think V takes the cake for story and characters over all the games. I love everything about it, though.

I actually quite like the graphics, but I'm glad you hold DQV so highly. :D And Estark isn't that bad. I beat him with just over 50 hours on my game. The stuff you get in the last area/last TnT board really help out. I never attempted beating the other secret boss, though.

Who is this "other secret boss" you refer to?

I thought there was another secret boss that was a more powerful version of the monster you fight at the lighthouse that was sealed away? I know there is a baby monster you get of this boss, so.

I thought there was another secret boss that was a more powerful version of the monster you fight at the lighthouse that was sealed away? I know there is a baby monster you get of this boss, so.

Oh, I see. No, unfortunately there is no harder version of Bjørn to fight. You acquire the baby version (Rebjørn) by other means. That would be awesome to fight a souped-up Bjørn though.

Oh, I see. No, unfortunately there is no harder version of Bjørn to fight. You acquire the baby version (Rebjørn) by other means. That would be awesome to fight a souped-up Bjørn though.

Oh! How weird, I thought I heard there was. Thanks for clearing that up. :D I guess I can be proud to say that I beat Estark and that's that! Sometime I might attempt getting all of the recruitable monsters, but I'm not too concerned about maxing a game in that kind of way. A bit too tedius for that kind of completion, haha.

Bjorn was a really cool fight! Tough too. And the baby monster looks really cute.

Oh! How weird, I thought I heard there was. Thanks for clearing that up. :D I guess I can be proud to say that I beat Estark and that's that! Sometime I might attempt getting all of the recruitable monsters, but I'm not too concerned about maxing a game in that kind of way. A bit too tedius for that kind of completion, haha.

Bjorn was a really cool fight! Tough too. And the baby monster looks really cute.

Are you planning on tackling the final T'n'T board?

Got DQV DS and finished the story now. I can see why everyone seems to love it. :)

Dunno how to get the bonuses though. I´ve found Estark´s cave, but not the last T´n´t board, or how to get the bonus recruits.

Got DQV DS and finished the story now. I can see why everyone seems to love it. :)

Dunno how to get the bonuses though. I´ve found Estark´s cave, but not the last T´n´t board, or how to get the bonus recruits.

The last T'n'T board is unlocked after you beat Estark. You can find it very early on in the bonus dungeon. If you reach the door before you beat Estark though, it will just say that the door is locked (or something like that, it may have been sealed by a mysterious force).

As for the bonus recruits:

Starker's is your reward for completing the final T'n'T boad.

Rebjorn can be found in that shrine west of Mostroferrato (with the glowing pot), but only after you have acquired Starkers.

Are you planning on tackling the final T'n'T board?

Already beat it! It was pretty insane. But I find T'n'T really fun, even if the last board is hell. XD Sooo many times I got so close to the ending, just to fall into a trap door... or, a few times, I just DIED because I ran out of MP to heal myself, and the enemies are quite strong in that one. I think it took me a few hours of trying?

Isn't it great?

The last T'n'T board is unlocked after you beat Estark. You can find it very early on in the bonus dungeon. If you reach the door before you beat Estark though, it will just say that the door is locked (or something like that, it may have been sealed by a mysterious force).

As for the bonus recruits:

Starker's is your reward for completing the final T'n'T boad.

Rebjorn can be found in that shrine west of Mostroferrato (with the glowing pot), but only after you have acquired Starkers.

Oh, it's that easy to get Rebjorn? XDDD I guess I could go get him right now! I've really been meaning to replay it, though.... hmmmm.

Hm maybe i should try to defeat Estark then. Is he hard?