Esturk

What's the best game in the DW series?

Hi, all. After quite the sojourn to central Florida, I'm back... and my baby is gone!

That's quite alright. It's time to start anew... and I'm really going to go out on a limb here:

The best game in the DW series is Dragon Warrior VII. It is the most innovative, the largest, and the most challenging of all of the games. While it may never be as nostalgic for me as Dragon Warrior IV is, it will remain the best until Enix hopefully tops it with DWVIII. Only time will tell.

Anyone else have thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Hard choice, I love DW 4, DW 7, and 3. I didn't care much for 2, 1 is a classic, it was very short etc. but what do you suspect made in 1987? (I think 87).

I would have to say 7, for the same reasons.

• Upvote 1

My favorite is DWVII, but VERY VERY close to 2nd is DWIV.  VII is the first Playstation DW game from it's main series (aside from Torneko).  It's packed with numerous side quests, 15,000 pages of text, and everyone's favorite enemies (such as Slimes, Healers, Horks, Slime Knights...) that originated from previous DW/DQ games.  This game, out of just a handful that match the quality, has the plot very well-written.  Aside from the fact that the graphics are out-dated in comparison to non-DW games of now, it is the most sophisticated out of all DW games.  It has been mentioned so many times that the graphics don't make the RPG, it's the "role play" ;) .  This game is THE prime example of it.  

DWIV is where it is because the game is "simple, yet perfectly written".  This game, out of all DW games, is the most classic.  Only until halfway into the game does the player hints at what the goal of the evildoers is about, and later who are the main enemies behind it.  The story is laid out perfectly.  I wouldn't put DWIV down for the uncontrollable AI at the last chapter of the game, it's just a drop in the bucket.  Many of the greatest melodies in the DW series can be found here, like the Revival of Esturk, Aktemto Mine, Chapter 4 overworld and battle music, Chapter 5 lone hero theme and full party theme, and the Tower theme.  

Judging this game to the humongous DWVII in comparison to game size shouldn't be the deciding factor in which game overall is the best of the two.  If it was, then DWIV wouldn't be tail-gating VII as it really is.

I haven't thoroughly played DQ5, and never even touched DQ6 yet.  My thoughts of the best games in DW can possibly change once I play them out.  But as of now, to reiterate:

1st:  VII

2nd:  IV

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

I would say...DW1.

I love that game.  It is original.  First of it's kind.

DW 1 and DW 4 all had excellent music, good god, I love Taloon! He's the coolest character there. Although I didn't really care for Torneko's Quest. It wasn't much of a "Dragon Warrior" game. But I still had a fun time playing it.  :D

Kinsan, your choice of best DW/DQ hasn't changed, even while you have the PSX DQ4 in Japan now.  Have you had a chance to play it, and if you have, what do you think of it?

Yeah, I think DW 4 for PSX will be really cool, DW 4's plot line is excellent!  :)

I am so excited that DWIV is being rereleased for Playstation... I cannot wait to play that game!

At long last I'll be able to post in this topic, since I couldn't even finish reading it all before (well, maybe I'm talking about another 'What's the best game in the DW series?' topic).

My favorite DQ game will always be Dragon Quest VI (or at least, that's what I think right now).  I love everything from it, and its characters are the most likeable (IMHO).

And just for the record, I don't hate Dragon Quest II, like a lot of people do.  I think it has some of the coolest characters in the series (they are way better than the male dealer, priest and mage from DQ3, if you ask me, and cooler than Ryan from DQ4).  I hate Laura from DQI, though; she's so dumb...

I played DQ4, once.  Can't really remember it, since it had just come out and I had checked it out only once.  I beat it that weekend, though.

DQVI is my favorite!!!

(How many times have I been repeating myself? ...)

The first 3 DW/DQ's will probably the my favorites and now almost every board I got to I see a post saying "Has any played the first one?"  People need to try them all because it is a truley great series as you all know.

Hey Kilvan, you might have to repeat yourself a couple times more on this thread, since we're all striving to recreate the HUGE original!  :P

Yeah, people should play the first one, since it's the foundation of all other Dragon Warrior games we enjoy so much.  Even though it CAN be quite a chore to play through in the overall aspect of the game, it's rewarding in ways.  You know what I mean?  :D

Umm... My favorite was DWIV... until I played DWVII... now DWVII is my favorite... which I've passed by the way. :D

Wow........

I've put all too much time on DWVII.......

Since Christmas, I've already used up 60 hours on that game.

Some of the bosses are RIDICULOUSLY difficult as of late.

But, as always......... I LOVE Dragon Warrior.......because you can win boss fights by a hair.  I have about 4 times in this game so far.

GRACOS.........was HARD.......and that PLACE, the SUNKEN CITY, is horribly difficult!!!!!!  WHAT a jump in difficulty of monsters!  Wow!!!!!  Everything can cast Snowstorm, for goodness sakes!!!!!   And, I hate Dancing Jewels and MadPots.

Also, that Gigablech or whatever his name was at the top of the Hamelia tower..........was almost as difficult.  I ended both bosses with ONE character left with ONE digit MP.  VERY close...........

I LOVE THE GAME SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So......................................................

How does this sound??

I've just gotten past Hamelia's tower in the present, and my characters are all working on their third class...........

My levels are Hero: 21 , Maribel: 22, Gabo: 20.................

Time: 61:23

I LOVE the fact that I've played for that long and I'm still on Disk 1.  :)

• Like 1

I've only played 50 hours  ???  

I just got done with Krage, it pissed me off so much. I beat the guy in the bottom of the well, with Gabo dead. Thinking that I won, I came up with Gabo still dead... That was bad.

You should always be prepared while playing DW games, there are lots of surprises that should keep you on your tip-toes. What I hated, is that he used quad hit OVER AND OVER good lord.

Anyways, I came back, Gabo was alive this time, healed all my guys, gave us all LifeRocks, and kicked some &$^!  :)

DQVI is my favorite...  (just to help Esturk)

I finally finished DQV thanks to the patch of Byuu!! Now I'd like to get my hands on DQVII, but I'm afraid I'll have to be more patient. Anyway, I guess that you're relieved Wonderslime, now that you have DQVII.

Well, let's get back to work...

In DQV, I am probably only half way through the game.  I am taking way too long to beat this game...

• Upvote 3

No........

Like most DQs........DQV is a long'un.

DQVI is longer........and apparently, DQVII is longer than IT.

I can't believe it's been more than 63 hours now.....and I'm not through the FIRST disk.  It's wonderful...........

None of the 30-hours-to-beat-the-game Final Fantasy Stuff.

• Upvote 2

30 hours???  First time going through FFII(IV): 40 hours

FFIII(VI):  50 hours

FFVII:  many hours (100 hours to get every secret.)

When did you beat a FF game for the first time for 30 hours???

The first FF game I played........was FFII (IV).

I beat the game in 27 hours and 33 minutes.

Admittedly, I did take 40-ish to beat VI, and 55-ish to beat VII....

And longer to beat FFVIII.......and 40-ish to beat FFIX......

But that wouldn't have aided the point I was trying to get across, you see.

:P

You beat that game fast.  I got stuck everyonce in awhile in that game.  Of course, I could only play it every other weekend.