The Battle Of Xanth Comments

Odin

Sess, I'm following standard writing styles whenever I write any kind of fiction story, real life or internet based.

In books, they don't have characters talk like this;

(name): blah blah blah

(name): yadda yadda yadda

I'm an aspiring writer, so I'm refining my writing skills and talent. I try to keep a high standard of writing, so not to make my plots, characters, or methods of writing corny.

I'll keep writing like this, just like Stephen King, Danielle Steel, Harry Turtledove, etc.

Well if your such an aspiring writer why don't u have anything in your posts to tell who is talking? Even the writers u mentioned at least put something even if it was a "(name) said" after the quote. The problem is when ur character gets into a group of people we don't want us and our readers to be confused on whos talking. I'm sorry if this sound kinda mean or rude or wutever but it important that we know whos talking so we dont mix something up.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops.

I thought it'd be clear, with the quotation marks, and the dialog coming right after the person name was stated.

For example...

Rand blinked and refocused his eyes, and saw a dwarf.

"A dwarf? I don't believe what I'm seeing."

The dwarf snorted.

"Not from these parts, are you?"

In that instance, it's pretty easy to follow who speaks to whom.

However, I'll take your feedback under consideration.

No we havnt forgoten but Odin told me he was gonna make a post soon and I didnt want to mess anything up on him.

oh yea sorry every its just that i have had finals and stuff have been really stresed out about them so i have not had a lot of free time to think about things but im done noe so let the story run :)

I'll be posting later tonight. At the moment I have too many distractions.

Thanks, Odin.

However, I feel that I need to speak up about something.

I don't like Sessh's attitude in the Xanth story, with stuff like...

#1....

Well,the stupid school cpus wont letme post in the comments but I just wanted to tell everyone I am droping out of the story and most likly will not return I am sure some of you are happy with thies recent turn of events.

PS: Sthepen King books suck in my eyes.

#2....

Don't say anything about a tripple post the rest of you are to lazy to post expecally Draco who is just sitting at his house doing nothing.

#3....

Post number 4...... man im gona have to kil you guys.

These are quite unprofessional, and insulting. If this is what is to be expected in this story thread, I am not sure whether I'd be willing to continue working here.

I thought writing stories like Xanth with several authors is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience, without insults, rude comments, or criticism INSIDE the story thread.

That's what the discussion thread is for, not in the story thread. When people read Xanth and see these comments in the thread, they won't want to finish reading Xanth. They'd go "What is this? This sounds like a lousy story, with such commentary".

These are quite unprofessional, and insulting. If this is what is to be expected in this story thread, I am not sure whether I'd be willing to continue working here.

I thought writing stories like Xanth with several authors is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience, without insults, rude comments, or criticism INSIDE the story thread.

That's what the discussion thread is for, not in the story thread. When people read Xanth and see these comments in the thread, they won't want to finish reading Xanth. They'd go "What is this? This sounds like a lousy story, with such commentary

First the insults are him just joking around their targeted toward me and Odin cuz we know him personally.

Second this is a forum website who said it had to be professional.

And Third READ THE FIRST FEW WORDS OF THE FIRST QUOTE YOU MADE OF SESSH HE SAID THE STUPID CPU AT SCHOOL WOULD NOT LET HIM POST IN COMMENTS!!!!!!!!! and really you have no place to complain cuz at least hes posting unlike the rest of us. I believe one of the rules was to post at least once a weak well its been over a weak since anyone but Sessh has posted. (Odin just finally posted the other day but it has been over a weak.)

P.S. Sry for not posting last night Odin will back me up we had some really bad whether come through here and I didnt want my cpu to get fried by a bolt of lightning or something.

O just to make 1 thing clear no one is going to take the time to read our story, and we are probly the only ones who will pay any attension to the story bords anyways If you dont want me in the story i sugest we take a vote. I dont feel like making a poll topic so just a sipmol yes or no in everyons post is fine.

O and because I cant quote dracos post yes I don know him and Odan they said they would post so it was directed twords them.

Yo edrick shessh is not making personal atacks to you he just didnt want me to say anything about the 4 posts. and as it was said he really couldnt post in comments. but how is this

Eddie next time your at school just send me a PM of what you want to say and i will post it for you :)

Aswell edrick Shessh is some one i know other then in this story and if you two are going to have a problem then i will have to take his side. I dont want this to turn into anything that will make any one leave but this is a story and we are here to have fun. Fun is also what this story is about it is also a way for some of us who want to write to do so its not out there for everyone to read. it would be nice if others did rad it but that cant be the primary reason for it so if Sessh can't post in comments then i have no problem in him telling us what is going on and if he cant send me a PM then i will allow him to continue to post his comments in the story it is important that we are communicate what is going on in the story.

but any way do want to meet up with us in the town ? post if we all meet up or not Draco left it open for Zell to go out and find you but it is up to you if we do or not .

First of all, I realize that Sessh is having trouble with his computer at school. I don't have any problem with him about that issue.

Second, I was under the impression that the Story thread will be exclusively for story posts, with no off-topic posts of any kind in there (except for Sessh's "My computer at school can't post in the discussion thread"). Therefore, the other 2 quotes I put in my previous post, quotes 2 and 3, should be said / typed / written in the discussion thread.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Story thread should be "clean" without any feedback or complaints inside of it whatsoever. The complaints, feedback, off-topic chat, etc. should be in the discussion thread.

And last of all, other DD'ers might be reading the Xanth story.

All this aside.....

I've been thinking of having Rand go solo for a bit, because I have a couple of story ideas about discovering his background.

BUT Zell and everybody can learn about Rand, hear about him from the townspeople, etc.

A good example / similiarity of this would be the Prince of Midenhall looking for the Prince of Cannock in DW II.

Rand WILL meet up with Zell and Co. eventually.

I'm working out the plot lines for my character. I can have a post up by the end of this week.

A rough idea of what will happen is...

Rand gets his first glimpses into his mysterious past / heritage, and learns some stuff about Xanth's origin. I might add some more stuff later on.

yha but you are the only person who is active enough to post I don't know how we ever thought this could work I asked drako he asid he is waiting on Odin to post.......

the only other person who can post I think is Erdeick?

Seeing that there is inactivity here, with the exception of Sessh, I will put my character on hold for a while, until you guys start getting rolling again.

At this point in time in Xanth, my character Rand is suspended in a stasis spell, in an ancient temple (gotta post the actual story post, then that will be my last for a bit until you guys get active again).

Archived