They lied to us about Slimeknight.

I remember reading somewhere that the knight is a puppet of the slime or vise versa but I was playing Dragon Quest Swords the other day and each entity appeared on opposite sides of the screen before going to the center and joining.  Puppets do not do this under the accepted limits of medieval fantasy puppet technology.  Does anyone know where it said one is a puppet of the other because I remember reading this online?

Edited by Slimeknight

There is one more neatly nestled caveat to this remarkable story.  Around the time Dragon Quest 6 DS was being launched in USA Square Enix held an online Dragon Quest 6 trivia contest.  The final question was “What is the maximum number of people you could have in your Dragon Quest 6 DS party?”  Square Enix said eight but I correctly answered seven since although your party could have eight characters the maximum number of people in the party is seven since the eighth character is some sort of slime and thus not a person.  I than thought I was wrong because I thought a Slimeknight was a human and thus a person according to the trivia but years later I found he was not a person at all but a slime with a non animate human puppet so my initial assertion to the answer to the trivia contest was correct and I should have won.

• Like 1

You’re thinking too much about a monster in this series. It’s just a goofy slime monster with a knight. Whether one or both parts of it are alive really doesn’t matter.

Besides, if you want to get technical, the very game you just went on about has the possible slime Knight party member refer to the slime as his trusty steed. So…

spacer.png

You’re thinking too much about a monster in this series. It’s just a goofy slime monster with a knight. Whether one or both parts of it are alive really doesn’t matter.
Besides, if you want to get technical, the very game you just went on about has the possible slime Knight party member refer to the slime as his trusty steed. So…

I mean, the green slime part should probably be alive

In Dragon Quest Heroes (2?) the knight is sleeping on the ground using the slime as a pillow and hops up when you draw near.

Yeah, in Rocket Slime, it's 100% a puppet. Basically an equipable weapon/item.

I think the big takeaway from all this is Dragon Quest doesn't have hard and fast rules about this stuff. They do what fits the game best or what's funny. As @hiru pointed out, this is in DQX. Does it mean all spotted slimes are just that way because of a baseball team? Nah. a460f91b6bc38cc223c4acd5f8b86309.jpg

From the title I thought this was gonna be a joke about Pokemon Sword and Shield.
I thought Slimeknight was going to complain about himself or that a foreign entity had obtained his login information and was going to dox him.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
On 7/14/2021 at 11:08 PM, DragonQuest2IsGood said:
From the title I thought this was gonna be a joke about Pokemon Sword and Shield.

I thought Slimeknight was going to complain about himself or that a foreign entity had obtained his login information and was going to dox him.

Slimeknight is probably just a puppet for another user.

I think we're reading too much into the puppet theory, based on the Slime Mori Mori spin-offs. Weren't there several games like Swords, DQXI or maybe DQH2 where you see the knight standing besides the slime and then he jumps on before battle? I distinctly remember that animation, but don't recall which game(s) it was from. DQXI definitely rings a bell for that, though.

7 hours ago, Liamland said:

I think we're reading too much into the puppet theory, based on the Slime Mori Mori spin-offs. Weren't there several games like Swords, DQXI or maybe DQH2 where you see the knight standing besides the slime and then he jumps on before battle? I distinctly remember that animation, but don't recall which game(s) it was from. DQXI definitely rings a bell for that, though.

Yeah, there is a game with that exact animation. The Knight walks slightly ahead of the slime and the slime always followed behind him until the Knight jumped on the slime’s back when it noticed you.

1 hour ago, Slimeknight said:

We have been living a lie!

Whatever you say, puppet boy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Plattym3 said:

I think the big takeaway from all this is Dragon Quest doesn't have hard and fast rules about this stuff. They do what fits the game best or what's funny. As @hiru pointed out, this is in DQX. Does it mean all spotted slimes are just that way because of a baseball team? Nah. a460f91b6bc38cc223c4acd5f8b86309.jpg

Ah, a nod to the Hanshin Tigers, nice--the Tigers are a famous baseball club in Japan whose fans are notorious for the passion. (A slightly more widely known reference might be the character Casey from the old Pokemon anime).

On 7/14/2021 at 5:21 PM, Slimeknight said:

I remember reading somewhere that the knight is a puppet of the slime or vise versa but I was playing Dragon Quest Swords the other day and each entity appeared on opposite sides of the screen before going to the center and joining.  Puppets do not do this under the accepted limits of medieval fantasy puppet technology.  Does anyone know where it said one is a puppet of the other because I remember reading this online?

It depends; a monster's lore can vary between installments.

In most games it's safe to presume that the knight is alive--DQXI and the Heroes series directly identify the knight body as the main subject--but the Rocket Slime series makes the knight a puppet (and likewise makes golems into mecha waiting for other monsters to pilot them). Terry's Wonderland, on the other hand, identifies the slime as the subject and claims the knight is part of its body, an idea echoed by DQM Joker.

• Like 1