Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered (PS4) Review

cprmauldin

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch –Remastered Review

Of note, I did not play the original Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on PS3, so this is my first experience with it, and I played it on PS4.

The game places the player in command of a Young Boy named Oliver who goes on an inter-world quest to restore peace and heal the broken-hearted. While the graphics of the game are very cartoony and fun -- the story, gameplay, and well-balanced difficulty really show this game was made with mature players in mind.

In addition to commanding Oliver, the player eventually gets to command an additional two players as part of a three-character party. Each of those three characters, in-turn, have control of three creatures which are called familiars. Therefore, at any given point the player can be equipping, controlling, training about 12 different characters. Further, additional familiars can be tamed in battle, added to the party’s reserves. Even FURTHER, there can be an abundance of EVEN MORE familiars stored elsewhere.

Sound complicated? It’s really not. While the battle system is certainly unique, it’s brought on in a way in which it is extremely accessible to players. And for those hooked on creature-collecting, there plenty of that to be done too.

In addition to battling and creature collection, there is a vast open world to explore, eventually made even more accessible by sea and air travel. There are huge numbers of side-quests and bounties, and most of them have hilarious and ongoing backstories. The main story is also deep, dark, and fun but somehow quirky and funny at the same time. It really is a masterpiece of a game. I highly recommend it.

Overall Score: 9.5/10

• Like 1