Dragon Quest-Price Inflation/Worth it?

Hey All

I have been sinking some time into the series for the last few years and have collected most mainline titles (DS ports, switch collections etc). 

I am yet to purchase DQ 5 and Rocket Slime for the DS. I have not played either but have heard that 5 is amazing and Rocket Slime is a pretty good time. Unfortunately, the prices are brutal at the moment (upwards of $300 AUD for DQ5 AUD $150 from lurking on ebay).

I try and avoid emulation and purchase games of series that I have soft spot for  Anyway, let me know of these prices are worth it or if anyone else is having a hard time tracking thse games down.

Even though you try to avoid emulation, you might want to give the first Slime Morimori on the GBA a try before you drop that much cash on Rocket Slime. It's a great game. (I actually like the first one better.) As for V, it really depends on if you're that set on playing it on your DS. You can get the exact same game with higher resolution models on smartphones for a tiny fraction of the secondary market price.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Albooty Poopy said:

Hey All

I have been sinking some time into the series for the last few years and have collected most mainline titles (DS ports, switch collections etc). 

I am yet to purchase DQ 5 and Rocket Slime for the DS. I have not played either but have heard that 5 is amazing and Rocket Slime is a pretty good time. Unfortunately, the prices are brutal at the moment (upwards of $300 AUD for DQ5 AUD $150 from lurking on ebay).

I try and avoid emulation and purchase games of series that I have soft spot for  Anyway, let me know of these prices are worth it or if anyone else is having a hard time tracking thse games down.

Think of it this way:

You want real copies because you have a soft spot for them, but this money isn't going to the developer in any way. that $400 AUD would be going into the pocket of some online seller that is making profit off your soft spot. I agree with Dwaine, you have better accessibility for DQ5 by doing mobile as your money would go to the developers instead of John Nobody. As for the Rocket Slime, I would say that if you really want a cart, look at reproduction ones of the GBA game at the least. That shouldn't break the bank by comparison.

• Like 3

Coming at you from someone that plays all the fan translations, emulates a ton, and abhors owning physical copies (aside: I buy games, beat them and sell them. DQ I keep, but I purge all other games yearly).

You want to play DQV on your 3DS? Get one of these carts. Like stated above, Squeenix ain't getting a single penny of resale stuff. Want to support them but not play on the phone? Buy a mobile copy and the DS cart. ee3393876b878bd6bb6f3e11cf7e1260.jpg

Thanks All, that defs help me make up my mind, not a fan at all of money going to scalpers.  Appreciate the responses, sure the wife will as well lol

I will defs try out the gba titles as well!

On 6/25/2021 at 4:32 AM, Albooty Poopy said:

Thanks All, that defs help me make up my mind, not a fan at all of money going to scalpers.  Appreciate the responses, sure the wife will as well lol

I will defs try out the gba titles as well!

Glad to hear it. Once you get the games, you should swing back by and tell us how you're enjoying them.

6 hours ago, Bururian said:

Glad to hear it. Once you get the games, you should swing back by and tell us how you're enjoying them.

Will do