New Dragon Quest I & II (SNES)'s bugfixing patch

Regards:

I have the honour to announce here the release of a new patch, that I have created, that fixes all the bugs that existed in the English translation of Dragon Quest 1+2 for SNES, like the game freezing dialog in the inn of Beranule / Beran, the Prince of Cannock's cloning bug, or the endless dialog with a nun after defeating Hargon, near the end, as well as an untranslated variant of the DQ1 ending that was still in Japanese, when you complete the game by carrying the princess Laura in your arms; besides many other important bugs (like the one that cuts a dialog during the DQ1 final battle).

The patch is here: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1n2.html

It also restores the random name generation system for the princess of Moonbrook and the prince of Sumaltria / Cannock. Based on what name you choose for the hero, it will choose a name from a list of 8 options for the princess, and another for the prince. It has been restored to how it worked in the Japanese row ROM. They won't always be Rolando / Linda nor Kain / Maria anymore; there will be far more combinations and possibilities.

I hope this is useful for the English speaking community.

• Like 8

Well this is just fantastic!

Thanks so much for all the hard work! This is something fans had to just kinda work around for... wow, close to 20 years. Now everyone can enjoy the game the way ChrisRPG intended.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! Thank you for using your time and knowledge on an often thankless pursuit. Your contribution to the fandom is appreciated.

• Like 2

Very cool, thank you! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

First off, awesome work on this!

Well this is just fantastic!
Thanks so much for all the hard work! This is something fans had to just kinda work around for... wow, close to 20 years. Now everyone can enjoy the game the way ChrisRPG intended.
Secondly, who knew Yuji Hori's name localized to Chris? There's a question for the next Slime Time Trivia!

You are a treasure and a saint.  Thank you!  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2021 at 10:02 PM, ignasia said:

You are a treasure and a saint.  Thank you!  

Oh, my god! Lol 

Thank you.

By the way. Notice a new update of this pach has been released, in the aforementioned web and also in romhacking.net community, that adds some new features that might be of interest. 

v.1.03c
  - Item name "Statue of Evil" in inventory is unified to "Eye of Malroth", how it's mentioned in dialogs,
to avoid confusions.
  - Consequently, final boss name Shidor passes to Malroth.
  - Interrupted message "Oh, [name], it seems you've died... in battle!", that appeared like "Oh, [name],
it seems you've di... in battle!" fixed, and erased the code that made its first line pass quickly.
  - Added double "L" to "Firebal" spell name, that passes to "Fireball".
  - Removed unnecessary spaces after spell names in battle, when learning new spells.
  - An ENTER code added in the messages that appear after using the field spells Heal and HealMore, to
avoid the name "Samantha" makes text window be overflown.
  - Remove unnecessary spaces at the end of some few item names, like Torch, Club, Lithograph.
  - Untranslated enemy name Meda (shortened version of Medama, "Eye Ball") changed to Eyeba.
  - Enemy name "Kiss Dragon" fixed to "Kith Dragon".
  - Typo "mirclae" fixed to "mircale" in "if you hold that statue over your head, it's said a miracle
occurs."

And also, some people said they became dizzy with the previous demoscening-style splash screen, or it was "obnoxious" (a new word that I've learnt, lol) so I've used this occassion to replace it by a milder one. The previous cracktro is now optional (by pressing select); I think it's beautiful, though, it kind of reminds me to Commodore 64 & Amiga days.

I imagine that, now, there is not any possible spot left on this English fan localization of 2002, that I honestly consider it was a great job; it was a matter of intellectual honesty, for me, to get some few time to port to it the anti-game breaking bug fixes that I had already made for my Spanish translation of DQ1+2 from English to Spanish; so here it is. If someone here is Spanish speaker, by the way, he can also enjoy this in his mother tongue through this link: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1y2.html .

Edited by Rod Merida
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rod Merida said:

I had already made for my Spanish translation of DQ1+2 from English to Spanish; so here it is. If someone here is Spanish speaker, by the way, he can also enjoy this in his mother tongue through this link: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1y2.html .

Oh my god, this is the best. I've been wanting to work on my Spanish and this will be good motivation for me to do so. You are amazing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rod Merida said:

If someone here is Spanish speaker, by the way, he can also enjoy this in his mother tongue through this link: http://crackowia.gq/dqust1y2.html .

Wow this is amazing!Thank you for your hard work on both the English and Spanish versions, can't wait to play the later version myself the next time i replay DQ2!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much! I remember when ChrisRPG's patch was new when I was a teenager and I was excited, but a little disappointed to see these bugs. After he passed away I thought it would never be fixed, especially since DQVI's patch never got a 100% release either. But after all these years, you've set things right!

While I do recommend getting official versions of games when you can afford to and like them enough to support them, I think this could be a big help to newcomers to the series, as the best version to recommend for their first try at I and II. I have some friends who I'll definitely recommend this new fixed patch to!

And making a Spanish patch is awesome as well! I don't know Spanish myself but I have a lot of respect for any new language translations.

Thanks again. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1