JRPG Series’ other than Dragon Quest

As I find myself thinking about the games I want to play after my current games, and the games after that, I can’t help but wonder what JRPG series my fellow Denizens enjoy, so I figured I’d ask. I’ve been doing some research and the following seem to come up a lot:

-Final Fantasy

- Ys

- Fire Emblem

-Tales

- Pokémon 

- Digimon

- Disgaea

- SaGa

- Etrian Odyssey 

- Suikoden 

- Yo-Kai Watch

- Shin Megami Tensei 

...and of course I’m sure there are tons I’m missing. What are your thoughts on the listed series’ and others? Are you as crazy about any of them as you are about DQ? 

Since I tend to get excellent and honest opinions around here, I’d like to hear what you all think! Fire away!

• Like 1

- Final Fantasy - I enjoyed the first 6 and 10, but it's been 20 years since I liked this series. I'm not coordinated enough for many action bar not-really-turn-based ones. But 20 million people are arguing against me I'm sure.

- Ys - barely tried.

- Fire Emblem - not an SRPG fan.

- Tales - haven't tried yet, but own 2 that have been recommended.

- Pokémon - I'm a surface player. I roll credits in 30-40 hours and am done for another year or two.

- Digimon - beat one ages ago. Maybe?

- Disgaea -

- SaGa - I have too much respect for my time, something this series does not. It's different by design, something I keep thinking I want... but don't.

- Etrian Odyssey - my interest as waned as the series has. But I've enjoyed all the entries besides the bastard mystery dungeon one.

- Suikoden - Eh, mixed bag here. Everyone I know enjoys them, but they're too old school for me. If you enjoy the SNES days, they'll be hits.

- Yo-Kai Watch - these have all be lovely titles to play. They're Level-5 to their core with awesome puns, an engaging couple battle systems, sidequests, never takes itself seriously, cartoony, monster collectiony... Now, I will say they have combining/breeding that's kind of pointless. But the humor and all the other funny parts keep me coming back for more. There's always someone more to do in the games and I get sidetracked for hours.

- Shin Megami Tensei - I've really only played 4 proper (beat, but it was a labor). Liked Strange Journey, but I've peaced out of it twice. I think it's just too series a series for me (see series above). I've definitely found myself bouncing off anything that's in any way serious which is keeping me from thinking of Nocturne or the upcoming V. I do love the whole demon collection aspects though and they're good battle systems. They're a series I feel I should enjoy, but never quite do.

ADDITIONAL

Grandia - Best turn-based battle system. Ever. Period. Love love love this. The more I hear the Meh or hatred for Grandia Xtreme or 3, the more I can't recall anything except those were where battle system hit perfection. Haha, the first 2 are excellent adventures!

Legend of Heroes/Trails of... - I adore this series. Oddly (for me) the series gets damn serious with child sex slave rings and government corruption and such, but it's done in such a airy way and the day to day of the characters is so charming. It doesn't hurt that the battle system is very reminiscent of Grandia to me.

Rune Factory - I love farming games... that have combat. Rune Factory first blended the light ARPG elements into Harvest Moon farming and befriending townsfolk. I think Graveyard Keeper and Stardew Valley did the town & farming bits better, but for a more battle-heavy RPG, Rune Factories can't be beat. Looking forward to 5, which just dropped in Japan.

• Like 1

I just polished off Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, so I guess I’ll add to the discussion by recommending the Mario & Luigi series. Even though I’ve only played the one game haha. There are a few ways to play it. There’s the original GBA game, which is available on the Wii U Virtual Console (where I finished it), and there’s also the 3DS remake that I’ve heard mixed things about but still looks pretty fun.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

SaGa - emoji867.png

That’s what the games you’ve tried to play have done to you. 🤣

Anyway, my two cents on what’s listed:

Ys - I’ve only played two games thus far from it (Memories of Celceta and Lacrimosa of Dana) but I’ve really enjoyed both. It’s got a nice blend of action RPG and the story elements that make Falcom games interesting to read through. I’m not too big on action RPGs, so Ys being a series I’ve really enjoyed with each entry I’ve played is a positive. Plus they have some great soundtracks.

-Final Fantasy - Kind of in the same Platty. I’ve played and enjoyed the first 6, absolutely love 9...but I don’t have much interest for the rest of the series. I’ve tried playing through 7 but it doesn’t do anything for me, 8 is one I’m sure I won’t enjoy that much, no real opinion on the rest but will likely not play them aside from maybe trying 10.

- Fire Emblem - Became a fan thanks to Shadows of Valentia, and have enjoyed most other games I’ve played. Need to get back to Three Houses and try and finish the Golden Deer route at some point.

-Tales - No opinion. Tried playing Tales of the Abyss but it didn’t grab me. Got Berseria and will see if that does anything for me.

- Pokémon - Stopped caring about this one after Gen 3. The last Pokémon game I bought was the Mystery Dungeon remake on switch since I no longer have my DS copy of the first game. Not a fan of the slow, one on one battle gameplay and frankly I think the series needs some me more quality control put into it.

- Digimon - Never played any of the games but enjoyed the series as a kid. Enjoyed the TV series and, again speaking frankly, found it more enjoyable than the Pokemon stuff. Could be because of this series and the DQ Monsters GBC games that I never got too hooked on Pokémon.

- Disgaea - No opinion. Never had an interest in playing it.

- SaGa - Really have come to love the series. Fantastic music, fun gameplay, I enjoy the different stories each character has depending on the game...it’s definitely not a series for everyone, but I’ve found it to be a lot of fun. Can be frustrating when you are first starting out and figuring a particular game’s mechanics, but the learning curve is part of the fun IMO. Sucks Platty has come to hate it, but it is what it is.

- Etrian Odyssey - One of my favorite RPG series, but long time people here should know that. Platty will tell me I still haven’t finished Nexus, and I know that, but I’ve gotten a great deal of enjoyment from the many aspects of the series.

- Suikoden -Really enjoyed the first and second game and would like to play the rest of the series at some point...if they were readily available. Suikoden 2 is a bastard though for that last minute “gotcha” moment that can screw you out of the best ending even if you’ve done everything else to get it. That part of 2 can #$*! right off. Rest of the game is great, but #$*! that #$*!.

- Yo-Kai Watch - Eh. I’ve tried to enjoy Level 5 games but I just lose interest. Same thing happened with Yokai Watch. Just not a fan of how Level 5 games tend to be structured. Especially with just how many throwaway sidequests there can be. Only one I’ve really stuck with and enjoyed was Ni no Kuni 2.

- Shin Megami Tensei - Honestly I’m not 100% sure what my feelings on the series are anymore. On the one hand I have a lot of love for Strange Journey and IV (not so much for IV Apocalypse which was just not as interesting as a sequel to IV as I thought it would be) but on the other hand I’m not a fan of how this series has gotten the shaft because of another one. That’s a conversation not for this topic though. Honestly I don’t have much desire to pick up Nocturne HD like I originally did, and at this point I need to see more of V before I can get truly excited again. Hopefully V will help spark interest in other SMT related games that don’t relate to that other series.

As for ones not listed, I’ll add on Mario RPGs. Stuff like Super Mario RPG, the first 3 Paper Mario games, all the Mario & Luigi games...all great stuff. If you like Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door, definitely check out Bug Fables. Best indie RPG I’ve ever played.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, guys. I’ll put in my two cents now, though it’s limited in comparison. I

-Final Fantasy - I played the III remake on the DS, FF Tactics Advance, and a little bit of IV on the PSP and VIII on the PS1. I absolutely loved III and beat it. Class system was great. FFTA is a gem, played it way back and can’t remember if I beat it but I sure put a ton of time into it. IV on the PSP was good, can’t remember why I didn’t finish it. I remember feeling meh about VIII.

- Ys - For some reason I feel like I played one game very briefly on the PSP. Certainly not far enough to have an opinion. After watching some YouTube videos and reading some reviews, I could see myself diving into VIII by the end of this year or early next year and maybe into IX after that. 

- Fire Emblem - I’ve dabbled and really enjoyed what I’ve played. I just think the timing was never good to invest the time needed to get deep into the series. I have a repro cart of the original on GBA now, so I’ll start there sometime and see how it expands.

-Tales - Never played. I bought Vesperia definitive edition on the Switch when it was on sale in the E-Shop. Plan to play relatively soon. 

- Pokémon - Love it, but bored with it. I’ve played and beaten Blue, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green, Pearl, Alpha Sapphire, and Ultra Sun. No real desire to keep going. It’s just the same old thing over and over.

- Digimon - Recently got into this by playing Cybersleuth. I was impressed by this game and will be playing the next entry in the series for sure and likely going back to play the Hackers Memory perspective on Cybersleuth. 

- Disgaea - Never played. Would like to try but don’t know if time will allow. 

- SaGa - I have two downloaded games waiting to be played. Hoping to at least start one by the end of the year. We’ll see.

- Etrian Odyssey - Only played Untold, I REALLY loved it and don’t know why I stopped. I very much would like to restart and complete the game.

- Suikoden - Never played and most likely never will. 

- Yo-Kai Watch - I love Level 5 and would love to try these games. Fingers crossed it pans out. 

- Shin Megami Tensei - I’ll be diving into these games soon with Nocturne on the Switch. I also have Persona 5 on the shelf. I want to play Nocturne first because everything I’m reading and watching is saying P5 is over-the-top amazing and I’d like to work my way up and not down. 

- Rune Factory - I played and beat 4 and could see the game being about as addicting as Heroin. I’d like to play more to get that high. I’ll most likely go back at some point unless somehow 5 grabs me first. 

To keep this conversation going, any thoughts on Star Ocean and Phantasy Star?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I want to play Nocturne first because everything I’m reading and watching is saying P5 is over-the-top amazing and I’d like to work my way up and not down. 

spacer.png

Phantasy Star IV has been good. PS2 was alright but it’s much harder. I enjoyed it though and would like to go back and finish it. It’s very Dragon Quest II NES like in terms of difficulty.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

spacer.png

Ok so now I have to switch it to “most,” of the stuff I’m reading and watching 😂🤣. Just saying, lots of love for Persona out there, and Most seem to think Persona 5 (and more specifically, Royal) is the pinnacle. Who knows though, SMT is totally new to me so only time will tell if I end up in agreement.

Ok so now I have to switch it to “most,” of the stuff I’m reading and watching . Just saying, lots of love for Persona out there, and Most seem to think Persona 5 (and more specifically, Royal) is the pinnacle. Who knows though, SMT is totally new to me so only time will tell if I end up in agreement.

Don't mind Yangus. He's not as much against the series as he is against the hype and the fandom. He prefers SMT to Persona, but Atlus fans have turned that dial much more towards SMT. Persona 5 is something I started and liked, but playing on PS4 is hard for me, it's just not easily accessible in the evenings when I game. The 100-hour commitment is hard to begin. I did really really love Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It was basically a Persona-Lite experience. The battle system was literally banging (music ) and it was on Switch and under 50 hours.

Star Ocean - I played the 2nd one as only my second PS1 title ever and actually really liked it. I played 3 on the PS2 a year or so later and it was fine, but I think it dragged a bit or had too much and I never went back, especially as they moved to Xbox and systems I didn't have. I'd be interested in the Vita version of the 1st remade. I have it, maybe one day I'll play it.

Phantasy Star - I had the GBA collection of 1-3. I played the first one and it was OK. The second and the third I eventually gave up on. Not that I recall them being especially bad, but they were just... old. I really haven't gone back to much 16-bit games in my life. Not a fan of Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, just too old for me. I did DQ and FF in the day, but I'm more of an early-2000s and newer fan. I would like to try Phantasy Star 4, I have it as part of a collection on Switch.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I did really really love Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It was basically a Persona-Lite experience. The battle system was literally banging (music emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji445.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png) and it was on Switch and under 50 hours.

I second this. We gushed about it in the Slime Time side quest on our favorite games of 2020.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Ok so now I have to switch it to “most,” of the stuff I’m reading and watching 😂🤣. Just saying, lots of love for Persona out there, and Most seem to think Persona 5 (and more specifically, Royal) is the pinnacle. Who knows though, SMT is totally new to me so only time will tell if I end up in agreement.

I mean, you do what you wanna do. It’s your gaming time.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Don't mind Yangus. He's not as much against the series as he is against the hype and the fandom. He prefers SMT to Persona, but Atlus fans have turned that dial much more towards SMT. emoji12.png Persona 5 is something I started and liked, but playing on PS4 is hard for me, it's just not easily accessible in the evenings when I game. The 100-hour commitment is hard to begin. I did really really love Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It was basically a Persona-Lite experience. The battle system was literally banging (music emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji445.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png) and it was on Switch and under 50 hours.

Star Ocean - I played the 2nd one as only my second PS1 title ever and actually really liked it. I played 3 on the PS2 a year or so later and it was fine, but I think it dragged a bit or had too much and I never went back, especially as they moved to Xbox and systems I didn't have. I'd be interested in the Vita version of the 1st remade. I have it, maybe one day I'll play it.

Phantasy Star - I had the GBA collection of 1-3. I played the first one and it was OK. The second and the third I eventually gave up on. Not that I recall them being especially bad, but they were just... old. I really haven't gone back to much 16-bit games in my life. Not a fan of Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, just too old for me. I did DQ and FF in the day, but I'm more of an early-2000s and newer fan. I would like to try Phantasy Star 4, I have it as part of a collection on Switch.

Oh yeah, I did play a good amount of Phantasy Star Universe on 360. I actually really loved it, but online multiplayer RPGs are even bigger time-vacuums than the big single player ones I’m used to playing.

Edited by cprmauldin
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

-Final Fantasy - I enjoy the series for the most part. But like a lot of older JRPG fans, I have just haven't been pleased with the series since 10. I did enjoy 14 when I played it, but I really don't count that considering it is an MMO. I don't mind the ARPG route the games are going. I just want there to be an enjoyable mainline title again.

- Ys - Very limited experience. I played Origins a long time ago. I played it for about 4 hours and enjoyed my time with it. Just never had the time to get around to finishing the game and trying more of the series.

- Fire Emblem - I am a fan of the series. Played nearly every English release and a handful of fan translations. The only game I ever put down was the DS remake. I wanted to try out the FE7 randomizer but don't have the guts. This series has proven to me that I am ungodly awful at strategy games of any sort, but I still find a good amount of fun with them.

-Tales - Played a bit of Zestria and Symphonia. I enjoyed them, but never got hooked for one reason or another. Would love to go back and try them again.

- Pokémon - I am kind of a mixed bag with this. Gen 1-3 was great. But anything past that didn't really hold my interest. X and Y was the last gen I played, and my experience was more of a 'meh' then anything.

- Digimon - Played the very first game on PS1 a lot as a kid and loved it. The TCG on PS1 was also a ton of fun. I played the second game for a while and have fun with that as well. But it has been so long since I touched any of these games. I have zero interest in this series at this point. But I appreciate what it brought during the earlier days.

- Disgaea - Played 1 and enjoyed it. Never beat it. I also ended up playing Prinny 1 and 2. While they are spinoffs, I did enjoy the humor a lot with the games. Another series I wanna get more into.

- SaGa - Only played Final Fantasy on Gameboy and Frontier. My experience with this series is very limited. I enjoyed the gameboy game, but I was pretty mixed with Frontier. I wouldn't mind trying to break into the series sometime.

- Etrian Odyssey - Love them. It made me appreciate the dungeon crawler genre a lot. As the common trend of my other comments, I need to get more into it.

- Suikoden - I honestly never touched it. I seen some gameplay of the original but I don't really know much on it to comment.

- Yo-Kai Watch - Played the demo of the first release on 3DS. Hated it. The hunting ghosts and stuff was fun, but the combat was held back for me with the dumb gimmicks of the fights. I hated having to swirl around on the touch screen and such. A timed press input system like Paper Mario and Mario RPG would have made this game an enjoyable experience. Haven't touched any of the other games.

- Shin Megami Tensei - Just started Nocturne and love it. I have played Persona 4 but didn't get that far into it to really form an opinion on it. I did enjoy of what I have played.

Also to comment on Eal's addition of adding the Mario RPG games. I rank those as god tier at this point. I love em. I have enjoyed a couple runs of the SMRPG randomizer hack recently and suggest it to anyone who wants to try a spin on the game.

Edited by Twinkie
11 hours ago, Twinkie said:

-Final Fantasy - I enjoy the series for the most part. But like a lot of older JRPG fans, I have just haven't been pleased with the series since 10. I did enjoy 14 when I played it, but I really don't count that considering it is an MMO. I don't mind the ARPG route the games are going. I just want there to be an enjoyable mainline title again.

- Ys - Very limited experience. I played Origins a long time ago. I played it for about 4 hours and enjoyed my time with it. Just never had the time to get around to finishing the game and trying more of the series.

- Fire Emblem - I am a fan of the series. Played nearly every English release and a handful of fan translations. The only game I ever put down was the DS remake. I wanted to try out the FE7 randomizer but don't have the guts. This series has proven to me that I am ungodly awful at strategy games of any sort, but I still find a good amount of fun with them.

-Tales - Played a bit of Zestria and Symphonia. I enjoyed them, but never got hooked for one reason or another. Would love to go back and try them again.

- Pokémon - I am kind of a mixed bag with this. Gen 1-3 was great. But anything past that didn't really hold my interest. X and Y was the last gen I played, and my experience was more of a 'meh' then anything.

- Digimon - Played the very first game on PS1 a lot as a kid and loved it. The TCG on PS1 was also a ton of fun. I played the second game for a while and have fun with that as well. But it has been so long since I touched any of these games. I have zero interest in this series at this point. But I appreciate what it brought during the earlier days.

- Disgaea - Played 1 and enjoyed it. Never beat it. I also ended up playing Prinny 1 and 2. While they are spinoffs, I did enjoy the humor a lot with the games. Another series I wanna get more into.

- SaGa - Only played Final Fantasy on Gameboy and Frontier. My experience with this series is very limited. I enjoyed the gameboy game, but I was pretty mixed with Frontier. I wouldn't mind trying to break into the series sometime.

- Etrian Odyssey - Love them. It made me appreciate the dungeon crawler genre a lot. As the common trend of my other comments, I need to get more into it.

- Suikoden - I honestly never touched it. I seen some gameplay of the original but I don't really know much on it to comment.

- Yo-Kai Watch - Played the demo of the first release on 3DS. Hated it. The hunting ghosts and stuff was fun, but the combat was held back for me with the dumb gimmicks of the fights. I hated having to swirl around on the touch screen and such. A timed press input system like Paper Mario and Mario RPG would have made this game an enjoyable experience. Haven't touched any of the other games.

- Shin Megami Tensei - Just started Nocturne and love it. I have played Persona 4 but didn't get that far into it to really form an opinion on it. I did enjoy of what I have played.

Also to comment on Eal's addition of adding the Mario RPG games. I rank those as god tier at this point. I love em. I have enjoyed a couple runs of the SMRPG randomizer hack recently and suggest it to anyone who wants to try a spin on the game.

In terms of Pokemon, “Meh,” is a great way to describe my feelings about it these days. Just seems like tons and tons of the same stuff. 

I wasn’t aware Yo Kai Watch had touch-screen gimmicks. That’s actually a pretty hard downside for me. I always loved the dual screen but was never a fan of having to draw an such. I’m fine for a few quick taps, but I typically prefer to keep the stylus put away. 

....And as far as the SMT stuff, I look forward to some further discussion when I get into it. I actually did start it, but I only made it through the little beginning portion. I’m sure I’ll have more to say soon. 

• Like 1
In terms of Pokemon, “Meh,” is a great way to describe my feelings about it these days. Just seems like tons and tons of the same stuff. 
I wasn’t aware Yo Kai Watch had touch-screen gimmicks. That’s actually a pretty hard downside for me. I always loved the dual screen but was never a fan of having to draw an such. I’m fine for a few quick taps, but I typically prefer to keep the stylus put away. 
....And as far as the SMT stuff, I look forward to some further discussion when I get into it. I actually did start it, but I only made it through the little beginning portion. I’m sure I’ll have more to say soon. 
You'd get status effects on you Yo-Kai in battle and need to do tapping or spinning to get them well again. I get the not liking the stylus. I always think that, and then I play a game like Inazuma Eleven and I'm additicted to using the stylus for things all over again. I just hate having to walk with it, luckily I've avoided all those games.
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
On 6/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, cprmauldin said:

You'd get status effects on you Yo-Kai in battle and need to do tapping or spinning to get them well again. I get the not liking the stylus. I always think that, and then I play a game like Inazuma Eleven and I'm additicted to using the stylus for things all over again. I just hate having to walk with it, luckily I've avoided all those games.

Yep. It doesn’t completely take a game off my list, but it’s certainly something I keep in mind. Sometimes it’s just not comfortable or convenient to have the stylus out.

• Like 1