FYI: Geo-blocking of Steam 11S in GMG store, wrt Jap vs WW.

Posted (edited)

Hi. GMG sells the Japanese, Steam version of DQ11S at here.

My question is: Is that page accessible to you? GMG also sells the worldwide version, but that page blocks Japanese residents. (It says "Game Unavailable in Your Region / WHERE YOU LIVE IS PRETTY COOL". I live in Japan.) So my question concerns the "opposite" case.

You know, in the Steam Store the Japanese 11S and the worldwide versions are segregated, and based on your address, you're automaticaly redirected to your "apporpriate" version. (For the details see this article.)

Regards.

EDIT:

The first URL above is: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-definitive-edition-japanese-edition-pc/

The second is: https://www.greenmangaming.com/ja/games/dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-definitive-edition-row-edition-pc/

You see they contain "japanese-edition" and "row-edition". 😉

Edited by d9w.hatena
Explicitly wrote URLs. Changed the title.

• d9w.hatena changed the title to Does this GMG page of Steam Japanese 11S block you?

Yeah, first link blocks me, says where I live is pretty cool.

Second link takes me straight to the US steam version.

• d9w.hatena changed the title to [Solved] Does this GMG page of Steam Japanese 11S block you?

Thanks for your feedbacks!

According to SteamDB, there's no regional restriction for activation (see this Japanese key and this WW key) , so once you get a key, you must be able to play anywhere.

I understand "We don't sell to Japan" (called "omane" in Japanese) - the J. ver. price is higher - but I was not sure about this case, and still wonder. Anyway that's what Square-Enix chose.

• d9w.hatena changed the title to FYI: Geo-blocking of Steam 11S in GMG store, wrt Jap vs WW.

There's no room for justifying geo-blocking. But the default landing page (WW vs Jap) is not so bad. Currently in Steam you can not install two different versions of the same game.

If you manage to come by both versions, you need two separate Steam accounts to accommodate each version. (It's said it'll be easiest to have 2 Windows accounts to smoothly login into two Steam accounts.)

BTW the Steam DQ11S game itself does not have any regional restriction, but its demo versions do: the Jap. ver. can be played only in Japan, and the WW Ver. only outside of Japan.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to mention that this is not a simple geo-blocking, but a peculiar custom where Japanese games are not available in Japan!

It's called "omakuni" (おま国 in Japanese). Namely, Japanese game developers/publishers are often reluctant to sell their *PC version* products towards Japan.

Wow. But why?

Easy. In Japan, Sony and Nintendo (still) have big power, and to protect their consoles, PC versions undergo disadvantages, so that e.g.:
* Japanese UI are removed.
* Japanese voiceovers are removed.
* not sold to Japan.

For the details about the 4 Dragon Quest installments for PC, see my article here.