I just got into Dragon Quest and it's really helping me cope with loosing my best friend.

I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this but I just wanted to say hi to you all and thank you for maintaining such an awesome community. Like the title says, my best friend, my brother from another mother, died on a motorcycle accident on February 10 of 2021 and I've been devastated. I've always loved reading, video games, getting into manga and anime and rpg's have been my favorite genre since I was a kid. Unfortunately I never got into Dragon Quest (although I was well aware of the series, Dai anime etc) until recently that I popped DQ XI s into my Switch and began playing it. There's something about the game, the characters, the monsters that is so comforting, like going back home. I don't know, maybe I'm not making a lot of sense but the thing is that I'm getting into the DQ universe by collecting mangas, playing XI and watching the Dai anime remake at Crunchy Roll and I feel at peace. DQ has been the first thing that has enthralled me and kept my mind at peace since my buddy's death and for that I will always be grateful. I have a long journey ahead of me, but I plan to delve deep into DQ lore and play as much of the Mainline series as possible. Thank you again for this site!

• Like 5

Welcome to the Den. Enjoy Dragon Quest, it's a great series to get into. However, be careful not to drown yourself in it as a coping mechanism. Grieving sucks, but it's part of healing. Consider seeing a counselor if you are struggling with it. Hope you are well in time!

• Like 3

I appreciate your words. And yeah, I'm aware not use it as an escape from my grief. Actually, I'm reading about pathological grief about to start therapy. Thank you for your concern.

• Like 3

@BelatarrI'm sorry to hear about your friend. Nothing can replace a friend. But I know a good game can help one move through grief - DQ has helped me in that way, too. I hope you enjoy it enough that it becomes more than a tool for dealing with grief - new fans are always welcome here.

Welcome to the Den. Sorry for your loss, that just sucks.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can sadly relate to this experience.

Dragon Warrior 7 provided 100+ hours of comfort to me after my wife and I split a dozen years ago. It did indeed help to lose myself for a few months in a grand adventure like that.

• Like 2

I’m so so sorry to hear about your loss. 

I won’t get too into my own life, but DQ and the Den have been there through many ups and downs in life. There is something to be said about such consistency in a volatile world.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Den.  It's never easy dealing with any loss, especially one so tragically and suddenly removed.  I hope your friend lived well and at least died enjoying life and doing what he wanted to do.  That's the best thing any of us can hope for; to live life to the fullest.

It's nice to have something to ground you during that period, give a sense of fun as a way to cope with the grief.  As others have said, and as you seem to know, losing yourself into that coping is definitely not desired, as it's best this continues as a healthy relationship with videogames and Dragon Quest, so you can move forward with the grief stages...I guess kind of redundant now, but it seems like you've got a good head, so not something to worry about.  Live well, and salude!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words. I really appreciate it! What a nice community :) 

• Like 1

Welcome! Echoing what everyone else said, so sorry to hear about your friend.

I've often thought of Dragon Quest as a means to fight sadness or depression, to a certain extent. It's definitely something that takes the edge off of reality at times when life is a struggle, from my perspective. Providing, of course, that we don't fall so far into the game that we start to forget reality, entirely.

Anyway, thanks for joining the community!

• Like 2