Controversial Prediction-Dragon Quest X Offline will be canceled or remade but never

Wow. Interesting prediction. Can’t say whether I agree or disagree as I have no idea how far they’ve gotten with it. 

That being said, I’ve got a HUGE hope for a NA release of DQ X offline. 

• Like 1

Why would it be remade if it ended up being canceled? Because of the graphical look it’s going to have?

I guess not having real connection with DQ10 apart from the symphonic suite makes me feel neutral to the whole Offline version they are making. I have a feeling that’s the game we’ll get, which I’m totally fine with.

• Like 1
Wow. Interesting prediction. Can’t say whether I agree or disagree as I have no idea how far they’ve gotten with it. 

That being said, I’ve got a HUGE hope for a NA release of DQ X offline. 
Let's hope! Squeenix had a NA press release after the show, and it talked very specifically about the 4 games not called DQX, so I guess there's hope, yet uncertainty.
  • Like 1
I really want the original versions of X in offline or online incarnations.
What I've begun to piece together from more logical people than me is that the DQ Offline is most assuredly NOT targeted at us English-speaking fans. We're not the reason they're doing in. They're targeting young fans in Japan that aren't going to play an MMO. Do you buy your 7 year old a subscription to an MMO or an offline game with cute characters? That's the thing that I've heard that makes the most sense. Sure, maybe Squeenix will one day throw us a bone and localize it for us, but that's not the thought process behind this decision. When you look at it through that lens... yeah, we're never getting the OG DQX, that's a Japanese MMO through and through. I've made peace with that for almost a decade now. It's not coming, my friend. 659a1f1e2a76f63d6360b65e95901f92.jpg
  • Like 1

OK.

Why?

2 hours ago, Slimeknight said:

The Graphics.

spacer.png

If only the offline version comes to USA I do not know if I will play it because I am learning Japanese and I want my first play through of the games to be with the online version even though I am far from fluent right now.

• Like 1
If only the offline version comes to USA I do not know if I will play it because I am learning Japanese and I want my first play through of the games to be with the online version even though I am far from fluent right now.
That's an awesomely admirable goal! Best wishes for that as I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

From the look of the trailer, it's pretty much already finished (they already have ALL the story text ripped from the original, and all the classes/skills/equipment...along with enemies, stats, etc, that just require some rebalancing for solo).  They're probably sitting on it more for the purpose of a preferential release date so as not to over saturate with too much DQ at given points, but rather spread out more evenly to avoid killing sales.

Though another reason why I think they're sitting on it for now, is it was initially teased in the US, in an interview here.  So I think they're waiting on the localization completion, then will do a near simultaneous, or simultaneous WW release.  So I'm going to say they won't cancel it.

The chibi design is a throwback to DQ9's character art.  Why they picked that?  I don't know, maybe because it was the single most popular DQ on any one single console, and the longest running concurrently played single-player DQ.  It was also arguably much more popular outside Japan than DQ8 was, and I think another reason is there is that eventual plan for DQ9's remake.  Level-5 is likely billed to work on it, or they wouldn't have had that awkward conversation on its 10th anniversary (and they're just wrapping up on several development projects initially slated to release last year), that was clearly planned, but handled in a strange way so they can't outright say they were billed for it...so if they can't do it in the timeline and they need another company to handle it, they can always say they never said it was a definite thing.

Another reason is DQ10 is built off DQ9, in much the same way DQ7 is built off DQ6.  Gameplay wise anyhow.  Though in terms of 9 and 10, I should point out they focused a lot on the human hero in Warrior clothing, much as the main focal character in DQ9's marketing was a warrior, and the same exact warrior uniform in both.  So that would be another reason to continue this trend.  See if it strikes a cord.

Yet a third, and the one I brought up before in the topic covering the Anniversary special, I brought up the difference in design aesthetics.  DQ10, if it is released here, as I think they're hinting at is in the works, will have a different appeal with the online game that is more akin to DQ's 8 and 11.  Building off more realistic forms/measurements, which are more appealing in general to Chibi.  So this allows a nice transition, and it allows a distinction that favours the online game, as a bridge towards it to hopefully increase the potential early adopters.  I think this will release first outside Japan, while they both see how well it does, and continue to work on translating up through 5.5, which I think we'll see released in short order.  In the sense of a test case, more to determine potential money put into servers, gm team members, marketing, potential costs up front, how many players they expect to both transition from Japanese to Western servers, whether they need an EU and a US server, etc.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

It'll probably be for phones.

7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Good lord, I hope not. 

LOL, maybe at some point, but not for awhile.  This is definitely going to be a Switch (from the quality of the backgrounds)...maybe PS4/5, but that build looks like it's running on Switch hardware or dev kit.

Eh, even if it isn't localized officially, at least the Offline thingy means people will be able to meddle with the text within the game and apply fan translation patch. 

And once you've played V1, or some of the game in English, what will prevent you from playing the Online version? Very much like with Joker 3 > J3P or Global Stars > JP Stars, once the game and its menu and commands have bee' assimilated, playing it in Japanese will be so much easier. 

This Offline version is a win anyway. 

I do hope it'll come out outside Japan tho. It'd be fantastic to finally be able to play X, and even better now that it won't be filled with other players imo. 👌🏻

• Like 1