In 13 days Square Enix will hold an event where they may announce new Dragon Quest work.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MKVarana said:

They only specifically said that V6 for the online will not see a worldwide release.  They didn't say anything either was for the Offline announcement, but it noticeably lacked the "There are no plans for a worldwide release." disclaimer that the V6 announcement had.

That's a good point, they never mentioned anything for 1~5.5 related to release, since it's already out in Japan.

It's obvious that DQ10 offline is meant to see a World Wide release at some point, but they cannot say anything yet as, if we consider the sheer volume of text, that's 3~4 full sized DQ games each somewhere in the range of 6/7/8/9/11, all combined into one.  There would also be a lot to trim out, and they'd need to decide on a DQ9-like party system, or allow certain story NPC's to become actual characters.  Though given the volume of text, that would be instantaneous for Japan, but take quite some time for us.  I expect Winter 2022 at the earliest, spring 2023 at the latest.

I would suspect they do a simultaneous release of DQX 1~5.5 on one server in the US (maybe one in France for the EU).  To test the waters.  If it does well, we'll get 6.  If it does poorly, the costs for localization and the given time test period should be made up with the offline version.

DQ3 HD-2D
https://www.woodus.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_05/Screenshot_20210526-231812.png.4eb32bce2247c907faccd4bf4866eef5.png

Golden Sun:
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/nmdEicMf2c4/hqdefault.jpg

Edited by ignasia
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

As far as the announcements went, I felt like this:

Erasers: Meh, it’s mobile.
DQ10: That was just not handled well at all. Way to raise our hopes up for nothing.
DQ10 Offline: Looks promising and I bet we get this one. Totally fine with that.
DQ3 HD 2D: Best announcement of the whole thing. Definitely the most exciting especially since this was the first mainline game I played along with DQ4.
DQ Treasures: Meh. I need more information.
DQ12: The Dark Souls of DQ Games. Not surprised they had few details, but I’m interested in the comments on the “Meaning of life” story and the combat changes.

So overall, I’m pretty satisfied with 50% of the stuff shown. I went in with zero expectations and got some cool new reveals for mainline games. Definitely can’t wait for the DQ3 HD 2D remake since it’s going for the Octopath Traveler style.

As @MKVarana stated, they did not mention anything related to DQX v1~5.5 and whether it would see release outside Japan (or offline) only for 6.  This was tailor made for WW audiences.  They were shocked at the 100k viewership (which means, not-Japan).  As I checked the actual channels while it was running, there's about 34k between the various US-based channels airing this (at its height, I only checked once, didn't track it as I wanted to watch), and the other 66k would be the EU and rest-of-Asia.  I should point out that Hong Kong and Taiwan now have fanbases, combined, that are almost as large as the EU and US fanbases.  Even Korea is becoming receptive.

So there's no reason for them to tease if they're not planning.

Do note that DQ10 Offline is 1~5.5.  Oops, only v1, still, that's a LOT of content.  The same dialogue should be present for both versions.  Meaning it would be counter productive for them to do all the story text, but none of the gameplay oriented text for the Online version, and also fan that in our faces.  They know there's a lot more demand now.

Nevermind DQ10 Offline was first teased to US audiences, not Japan.  It was never mentioned anyone I can find since one of the producers brought it up.  I just cannot recall whether it's in an interview over DQ7 3DS, or DQ11 PS4.  They want to expand the audience, not contract it.

This was meant to bring us around towards realizing we're getting what we ask for, and a little extra.  Erasers is aimed for kids anyhow.  Bring up the youth who aren't familiar with DQ, on DQ's cuteness, same way we were weened on the NES enemy graphics, only with a higher potential chance for exposure.

The whole point in 6, I think, is to give us something we're not supposed to have...YET.  Meaning when DQ10 releases both Offline and Online, they want to increase fervor for chapter 6, which has Celestrians (which is another teaser of sorts, as Level-5 is wrapping up development on their other major releases).  So when they announce DQ10, they want us in a fever pitch demand for 10, to increase likely subscribers, knowing 10's offline will likely sell better overall (and might be used as a segway for those interested in playing with other DQ fans...which also explains the Arte-Piazza-like chibi models for offline...while the prettier online models are more enticing...you do want to play with normal models right...right?...RIGHT?...get DQ10).  If numbers are good for DQ10's opening bell, after a given period of time, their trial period for the West, then we'll get episode 6.

There's no point in teasing 6 if they don't plan on it, but this is a tactic to get us to demand 6 through our dollars by getting 10 offline -> 10 online -> expansions for 10 online.

It's very clever.

====

I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the fact that no DQ fanfare for DQ12.  Not even at the end.  Why?  First time since they've been announcing new DQ's that I'm aware of.  Is Sugi on this project, or just overseeing while someone else handles the music?  Is the fact that there's no standard Toriyama design for the logo, in the background mean that Toriyama is just taking a backseat overseer position, while someone else in his offices are taking up the work?  Is this the first game where it's really only Horii?

Another interesting bit.  Horii's first series of games, a trilogy, was about a serial killer murdering people in Tokyo.  The storyline was a fairly dark murder mystery.  Nothing like Dragon Quest from what I'm reading.  Though it's an adventure mystery game, so it isn't going to frighten people.  It does say that Horii is probably interested in some macabre stuff, especially given some of the DQ5, 6, and 7 bits that are really dark, or even the 1~4 stuff that's pretty sadistic if you really break it down (Psaro wanting to murder all humans in revenge, all, no exceptions).

So in a strange way, I am wondering if Horii is making this his final project, before handing the reigns over to a chosen successor, by making this game a circle-back to his origin, pre-Dragon Quest, of a serious and mature storyline, but into the DQ world?

Edited by ignasia
As [mention=76520]MKVarana[/mention] stated, they did not mention anything related to DQX v1~5.5 and whether it would see release outside Japan (or offline) only for 6.  This was tailor made for WW audiences.  They were shocked at the 100k viewership (which means, not-Japan).  As I checked the actual channels while it was running, there's about 34k between the various US-based channels airing this (at its height, I only checked once, didn't track it as I wanted to watch), and the other 66k would be the EU and rest-of-Asia.  I should point out that Hong Kong and Taiwan now have fanbases, combined, that are almost as large as the EU and US fanbases.  Even Korea is becoming receptive.
So there's no reason for them to tease if they're not planning.
Do note that DQ10 Offline is 1~5.5.  That's a LOT of content.  The same dialogue should be present for both versions.  Meaning it would be counter productive for them to do all the story text, but none of the gameplay oriented text for the Online version, and also fan that in our faces.  They know there's a lot more demand now.
Nevermind DQ10 Offline was first teased to US audiences, not Japan.  It was never mentioned anyone I can find since one of the producers brought it up.  I just cannot recall whether it's in an interview over DQ7 3DS, or DQ11 PS4.  They want to expand the audience, not contract it.
This was meant to bring us around towards realizing we're getting what we ask for, and a little extra.  Erasers is aimed for kids anyhow.  Bring up the youth who aren't familiar with DQ, on DQ's cuteness, same way we were weened on the NES enemy graphics, only with a higher potential chance for exposure.
The whole point in 6, I think, is to give us something we're not supposed to have...YET.  Meaning when DQ10 releases both Offline and Online, they want to increase fervor for chapter 6, which has Celestrians (which is another teaser of sorts, as Level-5 is wrapping up development on their other major releases).  So when they announce DQ10, they want us in a fever pitch demand for 10, to increase likely subscribers, knowing 10's offline will likely sell better overall (and might be used as a segway for those interested in playing with other DQ fans...which also explains the Arte-Piazza-like chibi models for offline...while the prettier online models are more enticing...you do want to play with normal models right...right?...RIGHT?...get DQ10).  If numbers are good for DQ10's opening bell, after a given period of time, their trial period for the West, then we'll get episode 6.
There's no point in teasing 6 if they don't plan on it, but this is a tactic to get us to demand 6 through our dollars by getting 10 offline -> 10 online -> expansions for 10 online.
It's very clever.
====
I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the fact that no DQ fanfare for DQ12.  Not even at the end.  Why?  First time since they've been announcing new DQ's that I'm aware of.  Is Sugi on this project, or just overseeing while someone else handles the music?  Is the fact that there's no standard Toriyama design for the logo, in the background mean that Toriyama is just taking a backseat overseer position, while someone else in his offices are taking up the work?  Is this the first game where it's really only Horii?
Another interesting bit.  Horii's first series of games, a trilogy, was about a serial killer murdering people in Tokyo.  The storyline was a fairly dark murder mystery.  Nothing like Dragon Quest from what I'm reading.  Though it's an adventure mystery game, so it isn't going to frighten people.  It does say that Horii is probably interested in some macabre stuff, especially given some of the DQ5, 6, and 7 bits that are really dark, or even the 1~4 stuff that's pretty sadistic if you really break it down (Psaro wanting to murder all humans in revenge, all, no exceptions).
So in a strange way, I am wondering if Horii is making this his final project, before handing the reigns over to a chosen successor, by making this game a circle-back to his origin, pre-Dragon Quest, of a serious and mature storyline, but into the DQ world?
Are you sure that Offline has v1-5? I didn't see that in the video.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned at all about a darker Dragon Quest, I mean look at Dragon Quest V, it was dark as hell and it's my favourite in the series.

I do have concerns about the combat changes but I'm not going to freak out about them until I know more.  I'll just maintain a baseline level of being concerned.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Are you sure that Offline has v1-5? I didn't see that in the video.

I'm pretty confident that Offline is just V1, since it has the Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku subtitle, which is specific to V1.

I'm pretty confident that Offline is just V1, since it has the Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku subtitle, which is specific to V1.
Yeah that is the case.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah that is the case.

Ah, I just assumed that since they referred to 1~5.5, just prior, that was what they were intending for offline.

That makes more sense.  That would be a fairly sizeable game.  Yeah, sorry for the misread.

EDIT: Thinking about it further, that would also work better as a lead-in to the online game.  If the online does poorly, but the offline does well, they could also consider taking whatever they translate of v2+, and do patches for the offline game?  Possible.  Unlikely, but possible.

Edited by ignasia
From what I've pieced together and posted elsewhere, it's Version 1, and while it's not slated for a worldwide, there's maybe hope. Squeenix's press release to the US left off all mention of any DQX. This seems targeted to younger kids in Japan. What'cha gonna buy your 10 year old? A full, monthly charge subscription to an MMO, or a fully-contained offline DQX? That's my guess for reason #1 behind this and the chibi art. It's not made for the world, it's made for Japanese kids.

That's a good point, they never mentioned anything for 1~5.5 related to release, since it's already out in Japan.

I'm going to simply say that's an incorrect interpretation of the presentation. DQX online isn't coming here. They're not using 9 years of content to test the waters for a V6. It's all not coming. I've made my peace with that for a decade, no use nitpicking. 45d554d8a5b31342769a34b8c98ff592.jpg
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

From what I've pieced together and posted elsewhere, it's Version 1, and while it's not slated for a worldwide, there's maybe hope. Squeenix's press release to the US left off all mention of any DQX. This seems targeted to younger kids in Japan. What'cha gonna buy your 10 year old? A full, monthly charge subscription to an MMO, or a fully-contained offline DQX? That's my guess for reason #1 behind this and the chibi art. It's not made for the world, it's made for Japanese kids.

I'm going to simply say that's an incorrect interpretation of the presentation. DQX online isn't coming here. They're not using 9 years of content to test the waters for a V6. It's all not coming. I've made my peace with that for a decade, no use nitpicking. 45d554d8a5b31342769a34b8c98ff592.jpg

Based upon your arguments here and in other threads, I disappointedly agree.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

7 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Based upon your arguments here and in other threads, I disappointedly agree.

Then why show them in a stream specific to Wester gamers?  Where all other titles were slated for our shores?  When the original press release was built around about 8 other things more specific to Japan (except the Dai mobile release), like the Theme Park.

Why tease us?  What would be the point?  The stream was clearly ONLY western gamers.  They stated themselves at the start they have just over 100k viewers, and that was a shock to them at how many.  For a stream with a Japanese audience, that would seem pathetically low for DQ, and I don't see why they'd brag about it.  So they decided to do two stream sessions in the end, one geared to Japan, and a much shorter one geared to us.  Dragon Quest's official had 26k viewers at max.  Other channels had it streaming through them at anywhere from 300 to 2,000 for what I saw, didn't check for everything, and didn't check for facebook stream numbers.  Those would be Western, mostly catering to the US and some EU audience members.

They simulcast in four translated languages.  For 100k people, and there's at least 35+k people I can account for youtube channels with mostly US audiences (maybe Brits as well, and ex-pats, or even people from other countries who prefer English, or from other countries who are more likely to speak and read English than the other three languages)?

I'd expect a Japanese stream to have at minimum 500k viewers of just Japanese fans.

• Like 1

The stream was clearly ONLY western gamers.  They stated themselves at the start they have just over 100k viewers, and that was a shock to them at how many. 

And that's not true right there. It wasn't only for West, thus them showing off merch. That's the same feed Japan got. And there were maybe 15K people watching the English feed the moment they said that, so they obviously were combining their steam numbers.

What make you think they were counting non official 200 people streams? That doesn't sound reasonable at all. 100K was their total with Japan and West official. Believe what you may. We've never gotten DQX and I've been correct about that for 9 years. Would love to be proven wrong, but there's zero room for hope.

Anyone know where you can get the watch they showedon the stream?
Probably Japanese Square Enix store or Play Asia, but it may not be out just yet.
3 hours ago, ignasia said:

Then why show them in a stream specific to Wester gamers?  Where all other titles were slated for our shores?  When the original press release was built around about 8 other things more specific to Japan (except the Dai mobile release), like the Theme Park.

My understanding is that the stream shown to Japan only beforehand were all things that were announced previously and have not been confirmed for the West. Thus, it would have been pointless to include this as part of the stream for us. Everything we got English interpretation for were new game announcements. It was just a polite consideration to the English-speaking fans since a few games on the docket ended up being planned for a worldwide release.

• Like 1

I mean, if that event was for western fans, wouldn’t they have had subtitles or direct voice overs instead of live interpretations? I imagine they would have done it like a Nintendo Direct or have the style of delivery they had for each individual person they talked to from each announced game. I never got the impression the 35th event was for western viewers only, which is why they had the interpreter speaking over Horii and the other man when they were on screen.

I said this elsewhere, but they should have handled the DQ10 portion better. A warning ahead of time for “No plans for a western release,” like they had at the end of the version 5.5 and 6 trailer would have helped temper the sudden hype and backlash people felt.

I do think DQ10 Offline has the best chance of being released overseas for anything DQ10 related, but we’ll have to see what happens. We did get DQ7 3DS three and a half years after the Japanese release, so maybe we’ll see history repeat itself with DQ10 Offline. It’s too early to say, but thankfully we do know that we’ll be seeing DQ3 HD2D overseas. 🙂

• Like 2
15 hours ago, ignasia said:

Why tease us?  What would be the point?  The stream was clearly ONLY western gamers.  They stated themselves at the start they have just over 100k viewers, and that was a shock to them at how many.  For a stream with a Japanese audience, that would seem pathetically low for DQ, and I don't see why they'd brag about it.  So they decided to do two stream sessions in the end, one geared to Japan, and a much shorter one geared to us.  Dragon Quest's official had 26k viewers at max.  Other channels had it streaming through them at anywhere from 300 to 2,000 for what I saw, didn't check for everything, and didn't check for facebook stream numbers.  Those would be Western, mostly catering to the US and some EU audience members.

They simulcast in four translated languages.  For 100k people, and there's at least 35+k people I can account for youtube channels with mostly US audiences (maybe Brits as well, and ex-pats, or even people from other countries who prefer English, or from other countries who are more likely to speak and read English than the other three languages)?

I'd expect a Japanese stream to have at minimum 500k viewers of just Japanese fans.

Perhaps because of the other games? Perhaps because we may receive a watered down version of X at some point? 

For the record, I’d love to be wrong. 

• Like 1