In 13 days Square Enix will hold an event where they may announce new Dragon Quest work.

Posted (edited)

I put the original Famitsu article through Google translate.  The most important part is 12 still far off but they hint of another game that could be announced at the event.  This DQ game is still a mystery.

From 12:00 on May 27, 2021 (Thursday), Square Enix will broadcast live a commemorative special number that will release information on the "Dragon Quest" series, which will celebrate its 35th anniversary, and the latest work.

Advertising
 The 35th anniversary special program, which will be broadcast from 12:00 on May 27 (Thursday), will include the first part "Dragon Quest Day Latest Event News" and the "Dragon Quest" series, in which news related to the titles currently in operation will be released.  It is composed of two parts, the second part "Dragon Quest series latest lineup introduction" where information on the latest work of is released.

In the first part "Dragon Quest Day Latest Event News", free announcer Natsumi Uga will appear, and in-game event information of in-game titles such as "Dragon Quest X Online" and new appearances to commemorate the 35th anniversary  Various information such as official goods to be released will be released.

In the second part "Introduction of the latest lineup of Dragon Quest series", the talent JOY will appear as the moderator.  Along with game designer Yuji Horii, the creator of "Dragon Quest," the new lineup of the "Dragon Quest" series will be announced in a talk show format.

Speaking of the latest work in the series, many people would expect the announcement of "Dragon Quest 12".  On January 1, 2020, Yuji Horii's Twitter tweeted, "12 seems to be a little ahead, but there may be something that can be released before that."  What kind of new work will be announced in the 35th anniversary special program?

Related article
 Yuji Horii mentioned "Dragon Quest 12" on Twitter.  "It looks like it's still a little ahead."
 Game designer Yuji Horii, the creator of "Dragon Quest," has updated his own Twitter account.  He touched on what appears to be "Dragon Quest 12".
 In addition, today (May 13th), a teaser page has opened on the official website of the "Dragon Quest" series "Dragon Quest Paradise" to disclose information related to the 35th anniversary of the "Dragon Quest" series.

In addition, a gift campaign including some of the latest goods will be held on the official Twitter of the "Dragon Quest" series (@DQ_PR).  For details, please check the official Twitter (@DQ_PR) tweet.

Announcing the latest work of the "Dragon Quest" series!  35th anniversary live broadcast will be delivered on May 27
 Announcing the latest work of the "Dragon Quest" series!  35th anniversary live broadcast will be delivered on May 27
 table of contents
 close
 May 27 "Dragon Quest" 35th Anniversary Special Program Information
 Preliminary release of some 35th anniversary official goods
 35th Anniversary Official Goods Set Present Campaign Held
 May 27 "Dragon Quest" 35th Anniversary Special Program Information

5/27 "Dragon Quest" 35th Anniversary Special Program

Broadcast date and time
 May 27, 2021 (Thursday) 12: 00-
 Part 1: Dragon Quest Day Latest Event News
 We welcome Natsumi Uga, a freelance announcer, as a newscaster, and we will deliver various information such as information on in-service titles such as "Dragon Quest X Online" and new official goods to commemorate the 35th anniversary.
 [Dragon Quest Day Latest Event News Lineup]

Dragon Quest X Online
 Dragon quest walk
 Dragon Quest Tact
 Star Dragon Quest
 Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light
 Dragon Quest Rivals Ace
 Dragon Quest Die's Adventure Series
 Dragon Quest Series Official Goods
 Dragon Quest Island The island that began with the Great Demon King Zoma
 Part 2: Introducing the latest lineup of the "Dragon Quest" series
 We will welcome JOY as the moderator and announce the new lineup of the "Dragon Quest" series in a talk show format with game designer Yuji Horii, the creator of Dragon Quest.  Please look forward to the announcement on the day!
 [Performers] * Honorific titles omitted in no particular order

Part One
 Newscaster: Natsumi Uga (free announcer)
 Part 2
 Moderator: JOY (Talent)
 Guest: Yuji Horii (Game Designer)

Edited by Slimeknight
  • Like 1
  • Slimeknight changed the title to In 13 days Square Enix will hold an event where they may announce new Dragon Quest work.

• Like 1

I am HYPE for this!!

I really don't care what they announce as long as they aren't all phone/gacha games. I'm sure there will be at least one new one announced; along with the release date of the Dai one.

It'll probs all be PS5 stuff prompting me to get one like DQ Heroes did for my PS4 purchase.

Wishlist includes: DQ Heroes 3, DQ Builders 3, DQ9 remake, 4-8 ported to Switch.

• Like 1

Best we can expect is some artwork for the next mainline game and a trailer for a spin-off.

• Like 1
Best we can expect is some artwork for the next mainline game and a trailer for a spin-off.
Nah they got big stuff planned

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Nah they got big stuff planned

Fingers crossed it’s as good as Sonic’s 25th anniversary livestream. 😏

• Like 2
7 hours ago, AlefgardHero said:

It'll probs all be PS5 stuff prompting me to get one like DQ Heroes did for my PS4 purchase.

Ditto, will be the main reason for me to get a PS5 at this point

• Like 1
2 hours ago, eal said:

Fingers crossed it’s as good as Sonic’s 25th anniversary livestream. 😏

That would be amazing.

Posted (edited)

Dragon Quest X Online <- could be interesting, especially for DQ X players.
 Dragon quest walk <- not interested
 Dragon Quest Tact <- cool
 Star Dragon Quest <- Dragon Quest to the Stars?  The now removed game, or is there another game I'm unaware of?
 Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light <- It's not dead?
 Dragon Quest Rivals Ace <- It's not dead?
 Dragon Quest Die's Adventure Series <- Mobile probably, but I would be happy to hear something about Infinity Strash
 Dragon Quest Series Official Goods <- not my thing, but I do know quite a few of you here love merchandise
 Dragon Quest Island The island that began with the Great Demon King Zoma <- O_o...Dragon Quest Builders 3 maybe?  Probably isn't, but what then?  Nevermind, I found it...the theme park: https://www.siliconera.com/dragon-quest-island-attraction-grand-opening-set-for-this-week/
 Part 2: Introducing the latest lineup of the "Dragon Quest" series <- Now this is what should be interesting, and I'm very much looking forward to this bit.

I'm hoping we see:

1. A hint of DQ12, even if it's just the tiniest teaser, despite what Horii stated
  2. Dragon Quest 4~8 Switch, or at least 4~6 (maybe PS4 and 5)
  3. Dragon Quest 9 remake
  4. Dragon Quest Builders 3
  5. Something completely new and interesting
  6. Mia and Erik's Monsters adventure
Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

DQ of the Stars is still going in Japan, it was just the Global version that is closing. Also Super Light has been going all this time in Japan too. :)

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

As others have said DQ9 remake would be pretty sweet but I have expectations and idk if those will be met.

Also I think the release of Link's Awakening and the art style backs up my original idea for DQ9.

Edited by AlefgardHero
Added link
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm concerned about 12, since they said that it'll be darker and they're changing the combat...
Darker? Ok... I guess.

Changing the combat? There is a reason I like DQ more than FF.
  • Like 1

They did not say how they were going to change things, and did not specifically indicate turn-based was going away.  Horii said he wanted to alter the nature of the command menu.  That offers a LOT of options without completely doing away with DQ, but allowing it to become more streamlined and faster paced, or feel less confined.  That's what he's going for.  This actually means SE was closely paying attention to commentary in the West from new fans.

I should point out that DQ11's PS4 version already changes the combat.  Individual turns, no formal rounds, you cannot use any item that doesn't have a function in battle, the ability to swap equipment out at will within your turn, a very randomized turn-order system that can allow the same character or monster to go last the previous "round" and go first the next one (really hurts with bosses), as while there's no hardline stop there is still a "round" of actions tracked for all characters and monsters.  Nevermind movement in battle, which indicates a desire for some changes and expansions of battle functions.

Despite general sentiments, DQ has been altering the nature of combat, albeit far more slowly than other TB games.  DQ11 just takes some giant leaps, and DQ9 attempted to take a few leaps themselves.

However, given Horii's absolute firm statement in an interview immediately following the worldwide original PS4 release of DQ11, that mainline DQ games will ALWAYS be turn-based, I think we'll see a further expanding on what was already done with the PS4 edition of DQ11, and the speed up functions in the Definitive Editions of DQ11.

=====

I actually really like the idea of DQ going back to a darker tone, as since DQ8 it's become VERY comical, with some very adult themes portrayed in a far more lighthearted way than 1~7.  Less personalized murder, less torture, less truly sinister acts.  This attempts to take some pages out of Dai and FF16, and take a road less traveled, especially as Horii himself has been attempting to hone his writing skills for more serious endeavours.  We can even look at DQ Builders 1, and the very serious and dark tone, with VERY minimal brushing up on the nature of what is happening.  It's much more in a player's face.  So I get the impression he really wants to make a mark.

I do get a mixed vibe of Breath of Fire meets Soulsborne with the new logo.  Even the paint job is different.  Darker hues, gone is the luster from the Dragon Quest portion of the title, and gone is the sword "T," favouring the Nintendo created logo since DQ9.  I'm not sure what that means exactly, but my guess is they want expansion out West, as DQ is stagnating in Japan (PS4 sales were much higher than expected as well...as with the feedback there from what I can find being VERY favourable).  Horii himself seems to see DQ as being worthy of AAA title status, so this is definitely a move in that direction, and one that is expected as a test for a new direction for the series.  I do expect we'll still see some lighthearted brushing of certain subjects, but I like the idea of a darker tone.

========

I also wonder if he's looking into the future as this is the FIRST announced logo of a DQ without the fanfare.  What does THAT portend?  Is Sugiyama finally bowing out and allowing a picked successor to handle this project?  I hope so.

DQ3's music is also different.  It sounds like someone else handled the compositions and arrangements.  It too feels a bit more mature.  It's also clear they're using new artists, and working back a few things.  Taking the models created for the Switch release of DQ3, and returning to the SNES models of enemies, for a more traditional feel of the monsters.

• Like 1

They do pulled a sneaky one by presenting the DQ X one in the international preview and then saying there's no international release. 😛

Maybe they'll change their mind about that offline version and Enix will have the balls to translate that.

For DQ XII we can only wait and see.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Yross said:

They do pulled a sneaky one by presenting the DQ X one in the international preview and then saying there's no international release. 😛

Maybe they'll change their mind about that offline version and Enix will have the balls to translate that.

For DQ XII we can only wait and see.

They only specifically said that V6 for the online will not see a worldwide release.  They didn't say anything either was for the Offline announcement, but it noticeably lacked the "There are no plans for a worldwide release." disclaimer that the V6 announcement had.

• Like 3

As far as the announcements went, I felt like this:

Erasers: Meh, it’s mobile.
DQ10: That was just not handled well at all. Way to raise our hopes up for nothing.
DQ10 Offline: Looks promising and I bet we get this one. Totally fine with that.
DQ3 HD 2D: Best announcement of the whole thing. Definitely the most exciting especially since this was the first mainline game I played along with DQ4.
DQ Treasures: Meh. I need more information.
DQ12: The Dark Souls of DQ Games. Not surprised they had few details, but I’m interested in the comments on the “Meaning of life” story and the combat changes.

So overall, I’m pretty satisfied with 50% of the stuff shown. I went in with zero expectations and got some cool new reveals for mainline games. Definitely can’t wait for the DQ3 HD 2D remake since it’s going for the Octopath Traveler style.

• Like 4

I guess I’m a little lost. This was a Japanese livestream that we were just getting a live interpretation of, so I don’t see how people could have expected when Dragon Quest X footage started rolling that they would be saying something about an international release. Especially when the presentation started with mobile games with no international announcement. Japan doesn’t care if X is available in English. The only confirmation the West got for anything was Yuji Horii saying they’re shooting for a worldwide release for specific games.

I guess I’m a little lost. This was a Japanese livestream that we were just getting a live interpretation of, so I don’t see how people could have expected when Dragon Quest X footage started rolling that they would be saying something about an international release. Especially when the presentation started with mobile games with no international announcement. Japan doesn’t care if X is available in English. The only confirmation the West got for anything was Yuji Horii saying they’re shooting for a worldwide release for specific games.
This was the English portion of the stream, though. It was perfectly reasonable to expect all the content in the english translated portion to be for English audiences.

Also, what mobile game? We're getting DQ Erasers.

I definitely did not go into this expecting DQX. But when they started playing the version 1 trailer it was hard to think they meant anything other than a localization.

28 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

This was the English portion of the stream, though. It was perfectly reasonable to expect all the content in the english translated portion to be for English audiences.

Also, what mobile game? We're getting DQ Erasers.

I definitely did not go into this expecting DQX. But when they started playing the version 1 trailer it was hard to think they meant anything other than a localization.

What was different from the English version of this stream aside from an interpreter? And did they announce Eraser was coming to the West?

What was different from the English version of this stream aside from an interpreter? And did they announce Eraser was coming to the West?
I'll have to re listen since I was drunk and 8 other people were talking over the stream on Slime Time, but everything I've seen today summing up the stream says Erasers is a global release.

The JP stream had thirty minutes preceding the part with Horii where they announced some updates coming to DQ walk, DQX, and Rivals. The rest of the stream was the same.

Which is why when they started the DQX trailer in the English translated portion it seemed like a localization announcement since they'd already covered JP exclusive updates for X. They should've left X out of the English stream entirely, imo.

I am pretty excited for DQ3 though.

12 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I'll have to re listen since I was drunk and 8 other people were talking over the stream on Slime Time, but everything I've seen today summing up the stream says Erasers is a global release.

The JP stream had thirty minutes preceding the part with Horii where they announced some updates coming to DQ walk, DQX, and Rivals. The rest of the stream was the same.

Which is why when they started the DQX trailer in the English translated portion it seemed like a localization announcement since they'd already covered JP exclusive updates for X. They should've left X out of the English stream entirely, imo.

I am pretty excited for DQ3 though.

So it sounds like the first portion that was not in English were details on games that have been announced but have not yet been announced for outside of Japan, if ever. The part that we got to listen to were announcements of new games. X was also in the middle of the English stream, so they probably weren’t going to go to black for 10 minutes while they talked about the X expansion and the offline version. They clearly considered an expansion similar to a new game.

As for what they announced, I’m hyped for that remake, hopeful for the offline version of X, and the only opinion I have about DQ XII is that Flames of Fate is incredibly generic.

• Like 1