Question about something in Dragon Quest 7 3DS and Dragon Warrior 7 PS1(spoilers for both)

Posted (edited)

Is the fact that Aira/Aishe is a descendent of Keifer new to the remake or has it always been that? I beat Dragon Warrior 7 twice and the 3DS version once and when I did the Keifer download quest on the 3DS I thought it was new that Aishe/Aira was a descendent of Kiefer but I was just looking through my Dragon Warrior 7 USA guide and under Aira it says, “She takes after an old relative, a man you know very well.”

Edited by Slimeknight

I believe it was always a thing. DQ7 is just really bad at expositional reveals

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Slimeknight changed the title to Question about something in Dragon Quest 7 3DS and Dragon Warrior 7 PS1(spoilers for both)
Posted (edited)

When you first recruit her, she outright states the grave at the cliff is of her ancestor, and the gravestone implies Kiefer and Layla/Lala.  There are like 3 or 4 other statements that don't just hint, but make if very obvious she's Kiefer's descendent.  Like how she's a descendent of the previous dancer and her guardian husband.  Nevermind statements indicating familiarity of Aira/Aishe from the King of Estard, and Kiefer's sister.  Then a feeling of comfort and familiarity from Aira/Aishe (you'd have to visit in between before she rejoins, and before the servants of God/Almighty come by boat to Fishbel.

Given the time between Kiefer and Layla/Lala, and when Aira/Aishe is recruited, most players are supposed to kind of guess at it.  As the story never wants to outright state the reality, especially given the timeline between Lala and Aishe is several generations (like 500 years or more).

This is the same with Sharkeye and the Hero.  It's meant to be obligatory info that you figure out, but the party is unlikely to realize it given events and general memory confusion over the course of that time.  So it's kept obscure to fit with the story.  I rather like how it's done.  Though it would have been really cool if Kiefer did return, as the 3DS special scenario suggests there was a lot more planned, and the other factors that imply Kiefer makes a return (like his ability to equip stuff all the way through the post-game, including the added bonus stuff to the 3DS).

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 3

I like how the game handles those relations too, Iggy. It’s one of the things I really like about DQ7.

Personally I like it when story telling leaves things a little ambiguous but gives you enough context clues that you can piece things together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I thought it was a little more ambiguous than it needed to be. Maybe I just don't pay attention well, but I don't think I started putting the Sharkeye thing together until the 3DS version.

I think some of these reveals would have been more emotional if they'd had some deciated cutscenes to them. If they were handled well of course. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah, I think it was always a thing. In terms of the conversation about whether or not it was obvious or ambiguous, I’d say its somewhere in between. 

That’s the fun thing about DQ VII and DQ/DW in general. One can play through a game 2,3,4 times and still have, “A-ha” moments every single time. Sometimes I jam through parts of the games and go slowly through others. I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff that has gone right over my head, which I’m cool with because hopefully I’ll catch it next time!

• Like 1

I thought the hints in the PS1 version were pretty obvious with both the hero's parentage and Aira's lineage. Not hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-hammer obvious, but like an-intentional-stomp-on-the-foot. Everyone's going to have their own experience though.

• Like 2

There is a few other subtle hints like Aira/Aishe knowing Flame Slash when she joins the party and being able to equip basically everything that Kiefer could, including some pieces reserved for royalty.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:00 AM, GrandAlchemist said:

I thought the hints in the PS1 version were pretty obvious with both the hero's parentage and Aira's lineage. Not hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-hammer obvious, but like an-intentional-stomp-on-the-foot. Everyone's going to have their own experience though.

Hello, Mr. Thompson. - GIF on Imgur

• Like 2