Dragon Quest Builders 2 coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox Game Pass on 3 May 2021 at 5pm (PDT)

So this means they see Builders as the more successful overall game between Builders and Heroes.  I'll assume this means Builders 3 is a definite, while Heroes 3 is now in question.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:14 AM, ignasia said:

So this means they see Builders as the more successful overall game between Builders and Heroes.  I'll assume this means Builders 3 is a definite, while Heroes 3 is now in question.

Builders 3 would be nice, but the director of the series (Kazuya Niinou) left Square Enix just after Builders 2 completed, so it's future is kind of in question.

18 hours ago, Aphelion said:

Builders 3 would be nice, but the director of the series (Kazuya Niinou) left Square Enix just after Builders 2 completed, so it's future is kind of in question.

I don't think so.  A few things.

• Directors aren't absolute in the VG world for series.  There are a few exceptions for critical players/movers in a given game series, such as Soulsborne (though Souls 2 Miyazaki was not the director, and he was one of three for Souls 3).  Even Dragon Quest's mainline series has had 6 directors.  Nevermind Final Fantasy, Suikoden, even the Xeno series (Takahashi is the creator, more along the lines of Horii for Dragon Quest).
  • Directors are not creators, and rarely have that level of input as to be absolutely essential, with the exception of being a creator (or maybe not classified as one, but also a core scenario writer, as with Horii, who has never taken the seat of director for any of his games)
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2 has two directors, so Niinou was only a co-director, alongside Takuto Edagawa.
  • Kazuya Niinou left in August of 2019.  The Steam release came out in December of 2019, and he had nothing to do with its release.
  • There were two patches released for the Switch and PS4 in 2020, June I believe (though I cannot find a timeline for the PS4 patch, just the Switch).  So that would be without his input.
  • This recent release on Xbox is another reason why Niinou's leaving has no impact, as there's no point in porting if the main creator is gone.  Since they ported, he was not the driving force for the series, as in absolutely essential, and dead without him.
  • The Steam version just received a patch yesterday, that fixes a TON of bugs.

That's a lot of effort, time, and money poured into expanding (and keeping) the userbase of a game series that supposedly has no future.  The PC version has had glaring game breaking bugs for awhile now (one at the very start, which can be avoided, but it's iffy without using someone's save that already made it past the trigger point).  Bugs that have seen a ton of complaints, and everyone thought would never be patched or touched as SE never acknowledged them.  Now they seemingly are by the patch notes, as they all had to do with saving.

Edited by ignasia

Has anyone heard if this will have cross play between PC (Gamepass) and Xbox?

21 hours ago, Shinrin said:

Has anyone heard if this will have cross play between PC (Gamepass) and Xbox?

Well, they're not saying that specifically, but I'd say the chance is about 99.99999999% yes...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/26/dragon-quest-builders-2-xbox-game-pass-may-4/

Due to this statement:

Also, as an Xbox Play Anywhere title, you can play Dragon Quest Builders 2 on Xbox and PC with shared saved progress and achievements. 

• Upvote 1

Oh okay, gotcha. I really hope it's cross play, would love to go through it again with my wife. Been introducing her to the wonders of DQ.

Thank you for your response. :)   Happy Questing!

• Like 2