Episode #036 - Dragon Quest Music

Just finished listening to this one.

It was good! Love DQ music. Enjoyed the talk on Theater Rhythm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Just finished listening to this one.

It was good! Love DQ music. Enjoyed the talk on Theater Rhythm.

You get a chance to boot up DQ:TR yet? 

I was in a brain overload state of mind Friday and just played on that for hours Friday evening.  I went from having done 7 songs to now 15 I believe.  And I figured out that I'd nerfed the difficulty at some point by clicking the icon in the top right corner.  It hadn't been giving me any directional notes for a while.  Once I turned that back on, I went and redid a bunch of levels at both the lowest and middle difficulty.  Then I went back and grinded to get all the specific clear results for each of those 15 songs, which is hard because often enough not every monster shows up on each play of the song. There were some songs I had to do like 4-5 times to get all 4-5 monsters plus the boss.  I've cleared out DQI and DQII, working through DQIII at this point.

Maybe @YangustheLegendaryBandit knows. What's the point of changing jobs?  I did so on my main hero and now he's a Warrior at level 20 while everyone else is at level 30.  I haven't noticed really any difference, but honestly with the notes flying by, I don't notice damage numbers anyway.

The other night I grinded from under 2000 points to over 5000 total now.

Yangus, what's "beating" the game? 50K is that what you said?

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Maybe @YangustheLegendaryBandit knows. What's the point of changing jobs?  I did so on my main hero and now he's a Warrior at level 20 while everyone else is at level 30.  I haven't noticed really any difference, but honestly with the notes flying by, I don't notice damage numbers anyway.

The other night I grinded from under 2000 points to over 5000 total now.

Yangus, what's "beating" the game? 50K is that what you said?

Changing jobs will work increase your damage for physical attacks and spells. Like other DQ games, certain characters are better for certain jobs. You’ll get spells and abilities you can equip to characters then whenever you want. Defeating enemies quickly in battle songs will increase the amount of treasure you get or improve your chances of running into multiple metal slimes.

I think it’s 50k to “finish.” Might be lower than that even. You’ll get a notification cutscene that it’s time for the final battle, you do one last battle song, and then the credits roll.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Changing jobs will work increase your damage for physical attacks and spells. Like other DQ games, certain characters are better for certain jobs. You’ll get spells and abilities you can equip to characters then whenever you want. Defeating enemies quickly in battle songs will increase the amount of treasure you get or improve your chances of running into multiple metal slimes.

I think it’s 50k to “finish.” Might be lower than that even. You’ll get a notification cutscene that it’s time for the final battle, you do one last battle song, and then the credits roll.

Well, seeing as though I'm a strong 10% through, I'd best figure out how to do these spells and abilities you speak of!

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Well, seeing as though I'm a strong 10% through, I'd best figure out how to do these spells and abilities you speak of!

They will automatically activate once you put them on the character.

• Like 1
They will automatically activate once you put them on the character.
I'd best figure out how to do that then!

Currently Citra doesn't run Theatrythm (no rendering).

It worked in older versions, but I don't know how old.

Everybody brings up DQ Swords... I didn't like that soundtrack and I recognized right away that it wasn't Sugiyama's music.

I don't mean to diss the artist, the music was alright in and of itself but it did not invoke Dragon Quest to me *at all*.

Currently Citra doesn't run Theatrythm (no rendering).
It worked in older versions, but I don't know how old.
Maybe as far back as the ones that run DQM2 better. Man, they've really messed too much with Citra. I never had an issue with any DQ game 3 years ago.
12 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Everybody brings up DQ Swords... I didn't like that soundtrack and I recognized right away that it wasn't Sugiyama's music.

I don't mean to diss the artist, the music was alright in and of itself but it did not invoke Dragon Quest to me *at all*.

To each their own. I thought it sounded fine.

I'm actually in agreemenr with you on it not sounding like Sugiyama. I don't dislike the soundtrack. I think it's fine, but it's definitely not that similar to other DQ music, except for maybe the battle theme, in my opinion.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, AustNerevar said:

I'm actually in agreemenr with you on it not sounding like Sugiyama. I don't dislike the soundtrack. I think it's fine, but it's definitely not that similar to other DQ music, except for maybe the battle theme, in my opinion.

I would cast my vote for the Den's own @hawkeye77o4, he did a great job with the music in DW Classic I&II

• Like 2