Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Platty and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key

Going to log my play here, kinda like I did with Slime Mori Mori 3 when that translation dropped 1.7 years ago!

Steps to get this working:

1. Obtain your legal copy of DQM2 & dump the ROM

2. Follow these directions to patch it: https://github.com/Ich73/DQM2-FanTranslation/wiki/Installing-on-Citra-(Release)

3. The newest Nightly Citra versions SUCKS with it, this has proved 100X better: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1524

4. Play!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Nice, glad to see you got things working on your end. 
Seems like a few people are streaming gameplay (via emulator) on Discord. 
Will test things out later on 3DS CFW. 
If online is still working...will have to host a tournament for this game !

15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Going to log my play here, kinda like I did with Slime Mori Mori 3 when that translation dropped 1.7 years ago!

Steps to get this working:

1. Obtain your legal copy of DQM2 & dump the ROM

2. Follow these directions to patch it: https://github.com/Ich73/DQM2-FanTranslation/wiki/Installing-on-Citra-(Release)

3. The newest Nightly Citra versions SUCKS with it, this has proved 100X better: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1524

4. Play!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more Yakuza?

Posted this to Discord already but the multiplayer works.e5f8540c97e0b787d66952536cdaa242.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Things are heating up. Got to the first Key World, and it's a desert. Loving how the monsters interact in the environments. The caterpillars stay in the tall grass, this porcupine-link Quillers run away from you & go into burrows scattered throughout. Sabrecubs roam the plains or stay in cliffside dens. Moles are using their shovels to dig into cliffs. It's all so interactive!

Thanks to some help from@AustNerevar and a huge block of time, I'm now playing on my freshly hacked 3DS! Loving it so far. 3b94bff75cc10fe4a288574bd29322a4.jpg

• Like 2

And boom, like sands through the hourglass so are the days of the Desert Key being done. 5 hours in, took out the bosses of the first Key World. Lots of casualties, but hey, it's a war!

Props to WiFi for the win, that's where it's at. Despite being the lowest ranked with any points, I got some great prizes. 10 skill seeds, mini medals, and the best... GOLD BARS! I was almost 5 hours in and total haven't made 1000 gold. The gold bars I just won sold for 9,000! Buying everyone a weapon (even the backups) helped with that final battle!

Haven't learned monster breeding yet, but I bet that's coming up soon.

Also, bonus from beating the first world: I can now speed up battles. I was beginning to think battle speed should be faster, and now I can do it!

• Like 2

Well of course I walk out the door and monster breeding opens up. Had to win a small tournament first, but my 2 lamp dude who hit 3 times each did great.

Then I started finding all these keys. Got a challenge map key to earn 50g, wasn't too hard & got some nice monsters.

Then there was a key I earned by catching 10 F-ranked monsters. Let to a place with only F-ranked monsters. Got in a battle not thinking anything of it and tried to get another Tree Slime, mistakenly thinking I'd bred mine. Holy cow, I caught it at a 3.3% chance! It was... Level 20! And my guys are all level 10. I preceeded to get my ass kicked by every monster in that world and got out quickly. That new Tree Slime almost single-handedly won the next arena rank, so I'm now off to Pirate Key land!

• Like 1

I put a solid 24 hours into this game in the past 7 days. Been breeding like crazy and I've settled into ranking in the 300s in the global rankings and got myself plenty of good teammates.

Still love my montner and I've bred him up so he's always kept in my top 8. Finally got the ingredients to make a couple King Cureslimes on my way to hopefully making a Metal Kaiser Slime as I crawl towards the end of the game. Typically I have a Metal King in all my final parties in DWM games, but I don't think that'll happen this time. Good replacement!

Just finished off the Ice World, so although there's a lot more to go, I'm closer to the end than the beginning. Absolutely loving playing this on a real 3DS instead of just Citra. My oldest son is very interested in playing, so I'm modding the old 3DS I kept for him for just this. Should have that finished today so he can play too. Will put Terry's Wonderland and Joker 3 on there for him too.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 8:08 AM, Plattym3 said:

I put a solid 24 hours into this game in the past 7 days. Been breeding like crazy and I've settled into ranking in the 300s in the global rankings and got myself plenty of good teammates.

Still love my montner and I've bred him up so he's always kept in my top 8. Finally got the ingredients to make a couple King Cureslimes on my way to hopefully making a Metal Kaiser Slime as I crawl towards the end of the game. Typically I have a Metal King in all my final parties in DWM games, but I don't think that'll happen this time. Good replacement!

Just finished off the Ice World, so although there's a lot more to go, I'm closer to the end than the beginning. Absolutely loving playing this on a real 3DS instead of just Citra. emoji106.png My oldest son is very interested in playing, so I'm modding the old 3DS I kept for him for just this. Should have that finished today so he can play too. Will put Terry's Wonderland and Joker 3 on there for him too.

Your log is great. Just letting you know in case you think it’s falling on deaf ears....Or....blind eyes?

....whatever. I’m reading it.

• Like 1

So at the 33rd hour last night I got an accolade for breeding my 100th time. Yeah, all progress in Sky has come to. Halt as I keep doing that. Got a Great Dragon though!

Up to 43 hours now. Had a huge play session today. I'm close to getting Nimzo and a Hornbeet. The problem with Hornbeet is now he's rank S and a 2-slot monster. He was always a final party member along with KMS back in the good old GBC days. Not sure how big Nimzo is yet. I have the ingredients for him, but leveling them up right now to make him a bit more powerful.

Still haven't beat the Sky key because I've been fooling around, but perhaps I can finally do that as I've reached the final castle now.

Up to 43 hours now. Had a huge play session today. I'm close to getting Nimzo and a Hornbeet. The problem with Hornbeet is now he's rank S and a 2-slot monster. He was always a final party member along with KMS back in the good old GBC days. Not sure how big Nimzo is yet. I have the ingredients for him, but leveling them up right now to make him a bit more powerful.

Still haven't beat the Sky key because I've been fooling around, but perhaps I can finally do that as I've reached the final castle now.
I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the big monsters taking up two slots.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the big monsters taking up two slots.

Just wait until you see the monsters that take up all 3 slots.

Just wait until you see the monsters that take up all 3 slots.
It's even more crazy when they take up *all 4 slots!

The special online battle competition has had a restriction to only 3-slot monsters for the past couple weeks and it seems like it's still in play this week. I've been competing and losing in 1 round for the past 10 days. Wish they'd get back to specific rank or family restrictions.

Btw, stayed up too late. Beat the Sky key. Did some stuff around Great Log. Blew through the S-rank arena. Forgot the mother actually gives sidequests too and been trying to catch up on that. Got my Nimzo! And my Hornbeet! Let's push to end-game! Onto Limbo!

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

It's even more crazy when they take up *all 4 slots! emoji15.png

Oh, snap. 😮

• 2 weeks later...

Whew. *Maybe* completed the post game this morning. I'm sure there's even more, but Great Log was dying and the skies were dark and 20 hours later I've solved that problem. Other than a huge post game key world, there was a fun gameplay loop of fighting evolved versions of the first DQ bosses:

Dark Dragon Lord
Geno Malroth
Azura Zoma
Psycho Psaro

Those were great, as I built up a Voltron version of Estark.

Then of course came the boss I'd been trying to get to for 20 hours. And then I won, turned around to celebrate, and of course the NEXT boss crawls out & all Voldemort-like with no name I had to battle him.

My strategy for all the bosses was pretty much the same. I have a great B team of 4 +99 or higher guys: Tigergram, Orgodemir, Demon-At-Arms, and my flying tiger Monstner. I'd let those 4 go MP-crazy, blow all of their biggest attacks and such first. Heck, those 4 actually killed Psycho Psaro all on their own. For the rest of the battles, I'd let them all slowly die while doing a ton of damage and then the A-team would come in.

A-Team consisted of my SS+* rebirthed versions of 2-slot Horn Beetle (Horny) and my 2-slot Metal Kaiser Slime (Rolly). For the most part, those 2 are invulnerable. They can barely get hit, and Rolly typically takes 1 HP damage, Rolly something like 30-40 HP. They're both pretty much invulnerable to magic. It was touch and go a bit in the final final battle (which begins without a chance to heal up), but overall not too bad to clear.

• Like 1

I've been pretty much obsessed with making key and the Streetpass system the past couple days.

What's great is you can do random WiFi battles and then it counts a Streetpass with whoever you randomly meet. Then you can go into Streetpass mode and you're able to battle the team again. If you win, you get a magic key they've set as a prize. You also you can try to scout someone off their team. It's how I got my +99 Orgodemir. I've met a guy online that shares teams of rare slimes with AMAZING skillsets, just waiting to be bred into some of my stronger peeps!

The key system is what made me fall in love with this game back in GBC days. You buy a copper, silver, gold, or Platnium key. Then you combine it with 2 words, based upon milestones you've unlocked in the game and achievements you've earned. It makes a random world with prizes and 5 or 6 monsters. Been making a bunch of keys and finding rare monsters to recruit. Also made a key (which can be an expensive process) with Balhib monsters in them and they give INSANE amounts of money when defeated, so it's a good way to pay for more keys.

I'm 65 hours in and still having a blast!

• Like 1