Hello folks. I've been gone a long time. Had a rough year last year (nothing to do with Covid) but things have settled for me. 

To be blunt, with my life all beeped up last year, I barely touched a video game. Since learning of the tragic fate of DQS, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to any resources that summarize the main story chapters. I'm seriously considering a fan project: novelization the story with illustrations. I might have it set up online at some point.

• Like 2

Lotta folks seem to be coming back it seems:). The Den lives on. 

• Like 1

Welcome back, unfortunately I don't know of any resources for that summarize the story

Lotta folks seem to be coming back it seems. The Den lives on. 
We don't go anywhere. You go.

And come back.
On 3/31/2021 at 3:43 PM, redneckpride4ever said:

Since learning of the tragic fate of DQS, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to any resources that summarize the main story chapters. I'm seriously considering a fan project: novelization the story with illustrations. I might have it set up online at some point.

Welcome back! (As if I can talk, hahaha). I've asked on the Discord to see if we can rustle up a story summary of some kind.

• Like 1

I'd love to see this done somehow. I started earlier in March, and with the service shutting down, I'm not gonna bother playing further.

Hi! I started playing near the beginning last year, so I remember a lot. I've attempted to spitball my own summary from memory... I'm sure there's a better way to summarize it than this, so take this with a grain(truckload) of salt (it might have errors), just a rough first approximation. Maybe other players can correct me on some of the details?

Also, I'll admit I didn't find the story in this game as well-polished / well-paced as that of a mainline Dragon Quest game.

Also also, this came out SUPER DUPER LONG, so I totally understand if it's too long and you don't read it / just skim! TL;DR is very understandable. In my defense, the game isn't very succinct either.

But with all that said, from what I can recall, here's how it goes:

--- 1. Innish Isle (Introduction): ---

A warrior clad in red and gold Flame Dragon Armor battles a wicked entity, with the help of three youths, siblings. The warrior shields them from a powerful blast, trying to tell them something, but-

Next thing they know, the three wash ashore on Innish Isle, along with a mysterious blue book. There they are discovered by a flying pink creature known as a Squirril, named Cyril. The three have lost their memories, experiencing only brief flashes of their battle alongside the man in the red Flame Dragon armor.

They do not remember what the blue book is, but it seems to be locked, and to shake mysteriously. Cyril leads them to visit a wise man, and after a brief quest they manage to unlock the book.

A glowing projection of a muscular elderly man arises from the book, introducing himself as Gaius the Questocrat, who is said to have saved this planet, Brullia, on various past adventures- and he claims to be the three siblings' grandfather. He is unable to fully physically manifest, and seems to be trapped in the book- the Questocrat's Chronicle-, or perhaps a ghost (though he claims he isn't dead), and is unwilling to reveal exactly how he came to be in this state.

Gaius and Cyril quickly begin to bicker and banter about topics ranging from Gaius' legitimacy as a hero, to what the three sibings should do next, where to go, and so on. Cyrus and Gaius also both exhibit a bit if a dirty-minded streak, though more so Gaius. There's a lot of comedy and banter between these two throughout the game, and Cyril is basically scared of everything but tries to help the three siblings on their journey regardless.

The siblings defeat a green dragon and other monsters who have taken over a lighthouse, enable ships to safely sail from Innish Isle to the nearby mainland, the continent of Batraccia.

--- 2. Batraccia: ---

Here my memories begin to get fuzzier with the details of the adventure. At some point, Gaius reveals that an evil entity, the dark lord Dothradeth- the very same from the three siblings' vague memory- is to be revived by a wicked squirril, Fenril, and a cult that he leads. Thus the three siblings must find out what became of their father, Atomos- presumably the warrior in the red Flame Dragon armor- and try to prevent the resurrection of Dothradeth.

First the three siblings need the help of a horse to navigate the large landscape of Batraccia, so they obtain a saddle that gains a particular horse's trust. They then seek the help of Batraccia's king, whose crown has been stolen by the thief, Robbin 'ood (Kandar in Japan), defeating him and being begged for mercy (he won't take no for an answer, of course- but thou must). Soon after, they must clear monsters away from trees to help a race of elves.

Their adventures around Batraccia involve a great deal of backtracking, and they obtain a set of red warrior garments (very similar to the IX warrior's) along the way- which one of the three siblings were wearing during their memory of their fight alongside Atomos.

Ultimately they msut battle against Marquis De Leon (AKA Keeleon), who seeks to pressure a queen into an unwanted marriage with him. They defeat him and restore peace to Batraccia, or so it seems, setting off to continue their quest.

(This is also where the introductory content of the game ended, I think, before further updates.)

--- Interlude - Sidequests: ---

As you progressed in the main story, there were a lot of optional sidequests you could do (or go back and do later), where you did favors for NPCs. Of note, there was a recurring NPC with an afro named Cuthbert who often spoke of a hoard of treasure- which he calls "dosh" and repeatedly says a catchphrase, "sieze your dream"- who would generally lead you on fool's errands where you found something good, but never the gold he kept talking about, but he was always excited to keep looking anyway.

--- 3. Tundrica: ---

Next the three (and Cyril and Gaius) venture to the frozen land of Tundrica, where an immortal Ice Queen who's said to control the weather to keep it within liveable degrees has suddenly abdicated the throne on what seems to be a suicidal quest. It seems Gaius had an unresolved romantic relationship with this queen, and a long history of romances that abruptly ended with him leaving to pursue more adventures.

I can't recall the full story, but essentially the ice queen has been tricked by a usurper, the monster Barbatos(? One of those big bull demon guys) who has taken the form of a girl to trick the ice queen's new fiancee. The Ice Queen believes her fiancee has fallen for this usurper, but he is unerringly loyal and simply forced into a bad situation. The three siblings' adventures clarify this misunderstanding, they defeat Barbatos(?), and the ice queen resumes ruling, presumably marrying her fiancee. She also remarks on being long since over Gaius, to his relief.

--- 4. Mahrad: ---

Next the three must venture to Mahrad, a land of mages, where they seek the help of Gaius' old adventuring partner, the Supreme sage Griff. However, Griff has recently gon missing, and they meet a girl who knwos about Griff, Paula, who is also suffering from amnesia much like the three. She follows them on their journeys through Mahrad, trying to discover what has happened to Griff and to recall her past.

The three learn of a powerful forbidden elixer, the Lahdan Elixer which utilizes powers from a long-lost Lahdan civilization who are said to have once explored the stars; the elixer has been concocted nad stolen.

After more adventures they learn that Supreme Sage Griff himself has stolent he elixer and consumed it, driving him mad. I'm pretty sure there was a dramatic reason for this, and also that Paula is his daughter, but sadly I can't quite recall how exactly this went either.

However, Griff soon dies, and Paula learns that she is in fact from another continent, in the land of Jungal. She also thinks that perhaps the three siblings are her own sibling, and that Gaius has lied to them about being their grandfather. The three must choose, and Gaius' feelings will be hurt if they say they believe Paula's story rather than his, but he will still help them on their adventures nevertheless.

Along the way the three are also given the pieces of a purple mage costume with a pointy hat, which one of the three had worn in their battle alongside Atomos.

Gaius also reveals (I think it's at this point?) that his true body is on the Moon, and he is trapped tehre, only able to communicate through the Questocrat's Chronicle. He tells them they need to seek out the godbird, Empyrea, in order to reach the moon if they wish to rescue him, and they agree despite any misgivings about him truly being their grandfather.

--- 4. Jungal: ---

Paula splits off to seek more answers about her past, as the three help a young boy named Pek(?) who has become seperated from his parents and lost. They must also cure a curse which prevents Pek from being able to speak. However, Pek is a fairly resilient child, and has gone off adventuring on his own before- he wanted to see the godbird, Empyrea, who is said to reveal herself only to those honest and pure of heart.

However, Pek becomes wracked with guilt that he lied to someone about having seen Empyrea, believing this will prevent him from ever seeing Empyrea.

After some further adventures, the three bring Pek to his home village. There they meet a man who introduces himself as their own father, Atomos. Gaius is skeptical, but the three are happy to see their father and do not trust Gaius (at least in the version I played- the earlier choice about whether to believe his story or Paula's may affect these scenes), going so far as to close the book on him.

However, the three and Pek soon find a reason it would be wise to battle some nearby mosnters, and plan to set out. Atomos pleads with them not to go, and to set their adventuring days behind them and enjoy a peaceful life in town, but they insist and embark.

Upon returning, the three find that the town is in ruins, the children missing and the adults mortally wounded. "Atomos" reveals that he is not, in fact, the real Atomos, and not their father, and lied to them because a monster, Cobrara, had threatened the town if they did not keep the three there to prevent them from furthering their quest.

The man is, in fact, Pek's father, and apologizes as he passes away. Pek is heartbroken and once again wracked with guilt, but follows the three as they save the other children from the ruined villiage. Pek swears to rebuild with the others.

The three then defeat the monster directly behind the ambush, Cobrara, but he is part of Dothradeth's larger cult, and one of many who sacrifices himself to ensure the resurrection of Dothradeth (sort of like Hargon sacrificing himself to Malroth with his last breath, but involving many more cultists).

The three do meet Empyrea along the way, and must briefly battle her, but they learn that she has been injured by Dothradeth's cultists and cannot fly to the moon without healing. Thus they must obtain a relic called the Stellar Memory from the land of Savalua...

--- 5. Savalua: ---

Gaius believes this land to be peaceful and prosperous from his prior adventures, but soon learns that the land has been torn in half by a conflict between the Sister- Queen Koral- and Brother- King Yaharulei(?) who were left to rule the land by their father. Much of this land is a desert, and Queen Koral wishes to use the Stellar Memory to restore the land. However, her Brother disagreed, and the land seems to face imminent war.

Queen Koral insists on accompanying the three in an attempt to reach out to Yaharulei and come to an agreement. They embark on a very long set of adventures involving sphinxes roaming the desert, several pyramids, and more cultists of Dothradeth who, once defeated, also sacrifice themselves to help ensure his resurrection.

It becomes clear that Dothradeth's resurrection is imminent, and Savalua is not in immediate grave danger- Queen Koral agrees to wait before using the STellar Memory, as the three set off into the cultists' territory.

They meet an escaped former cultist, who tells them that the three siblings were themselves once cultists- a story which they, Cyril, and Gaius are all hesitant to believe. Nevertheless she is kind and helps them, explaining that Paula was captured and taken to Darkstar Castle. She helps other cultists flee as the three head off for the castle.

I'm a bit murky on the order of these events, but, Gaius also begins to act very strangely- his eyes glow red, and he seems temporarily possessed by Dothradeth. This wears off, but is a troubling occurence. Further complicating matters, Cyril protests at one point that they were supposed to be rescuing Gaius on the Moon, but with Dothradeth's resurrection imminent, Gaius tells them to forget about that and focus on the more urgent threat.

Reaching Darkstar Castle, the three encounter Atomos himself, clad in the same red Flame Dragon Armor. However, he is not able to fully control himself, as he is possessed by Dothradeth to finalize his resurrection. Using what time he has to speak as himself, Atomos explains that he was indeed an unwilling member of Dothradeth's cult, along with his three children and his late wife.

Atomos wanted to flee and get the children to safety, but ultimately discovered that he was the only one who had a chance to seal Dothadeth away, and battled him alongside his children, shortly before they lost their memories. Now the seal is broken, and Dothradeth emerges from his body. The three must fight him themselves, even knowing this may kill Atomos; they defeat Dothradeth for now, but he is not destroyed, and Atomos vanishes sealing him away once more.

Afterwards, the three find Queen Koral once again, and soon locate her brother, who has made some sort of pact to turn into a monster. The three attempt to cure him, but the initial attempt fails, and they wind up battling him, but he is ultimately cured and makes amends with his sister, who, along with some advice from Gaius about what their father would've wanted, agree to rule the land together once more as equals. They also agree to give the Stellar Memory to the three in order to heal Empyrea, resolving to restore Savalua through other cultivation.

Back in Jungal, the three use the Stellar Memory to heal Empyrea, but learn that a grave catastrophe is soon to befall the Moon. Gaius tells them not to go because the risk is too grave, and instead they ultimately agree to investigate what this calamity will be, seeking out an astronomer who may be able to tell them more.

--- To be continued? ---

...and that's the part of the game I'm up to. It goes a little further than that before the end of season 1, and as I understand it you go to the moon in season 2 as well as another planet (and then a third planet in Season 3). Maybe someone else can fill in the gaps a bit better on this stuff? I'll let you know what happens in a followup post if I can get more of the story played through in time.

Anyway, good luck with your project, and I hope you can find more detailed/accurate information! Maybe someone can record the story segments from the game before it goes down?

I searched for something like that on youtube, but it was just a playhthrough of the early chapters ending at Batraccia, and included the gameplay portions. If you want to see that, it's at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLybcln_bMY1CiCc32AH-H-95GcjrY9YRs

(It should also be noted that these early chapters don't really showcase the gameplay at it's best, since it doesn't really start to get complex until later chapters and during special events.)

I think the post is too long because it's giving me an error, so I'm going to double post with the rest, where I explain the events story- hope that's okay!

• Like 3

Events:

--- Dragon Quest IV ---

The heroes from IV emerged from a portal while searching for the Chosen Hero, finding that the three siblings have an aura much like the one they seek, before defeating Psaro and other Dragon Quest IV opponents and returning to their world to find the hero. Also Maia briefly wanted to open some kind of tourist attraction I think?

--- Dragon Quest V ---

Bishop Ladja appears on Brullia, along with Sancho and Papas who is searching for his missing son, before the three defeat Ladja and Sancho and Papas return to their world.

Bianca, Nera, and Debora emerge in a similar fashion while searching for the hero (apparently now an adult), and trying to find a way back to their homeworld. After briefly meeting each, the three siblings must choose one of the three to travel with, who gives them a goodbye letter at the end of their adventures. You could also change their costume.

--- Stargazer ---

Torneko returns, seeking out treasure in mysterious tower dungeons. And yes, they totally drop allusions to Torneko's Mystery Dungeon in his dialogue.

Alena, Kiryl, and Borya- primarily Borya- return to battle some monsters in a mysterious underwater dungeon, which Alena is eager to test her might against while the other two struggle to keep up with her (and she's ultimately disappointed that the three siblings defeat the monsters before she can find them). Also, Kiryl blushes about healing Alena's leg.

Sancho returns too, apparently getting lost searching for Papas, exploring a tower and fighting a King Sanguini.

--- Celestial Tournament ---

A boss tournament, sometimes hosted by Morrie, where combatants fight for prizes.

--- In the Footsteps of Erdrick ---

Rubiss guides the three to relive some of the adventures of Erdrick and his descendants in order to prevent Zoma, the Dragonlord, and Malroth from attacking their planet Brullia, during which the three effectively relive the events of Dragon Quest III, I, and II by taking on the role of the main characters (although Cyril mouths off to the kings about barely giving their chosen heroes any gold, and Rubiss Kazaps him for being rude).

Along the way they meet Princess Gwaelin (who can communicate through a glowing projection from the Gwaelin's Love device, very similar to how Gaius projects from the Questocrat's Chronicle; and then in II's events, they also interact with the Prince of Cannock (named "Caradoc") and Princess of Moonbrooke ("Pudding").

This event is permanently available.

(There were also early event versions of I, II, and III, but those had no story scenes.)

--- Dragon Quest VI ---

The heroes of Dragon Quest VI, minus the main character, emerge with amnesia, and the three go with them to their world- maybe it was the dream world?- to battle monsters from DQVI, including Murdaw and finally Mortamor, before being able to return to their own world.

--- The Heavenly Golden Dragon ---

Dr. Agon meeting the three (once again trapped in a looping minecart track) and getting their help to battle Psaro, Nimzo, and Mortamor- regaling them with tales of past Zenithian heroes- in order to restore three pillars to lift a darkness from Zenithia when it appears in the sky over Brullia, where it turns out that his main body, the Golden Dragon, has been corrupted by an evil energy from Psaro, Nimzo, and Mortamor. The three restore Dr. Agon to his proper form and he thanks them, returning to Zenithia.

--- Final Fantasy Opera Omnia crossover ---

the moogle appears and befriends Cyril, helping the three siblings as they battle an invading army of "Mannekins" of characters featured in FFOO, including Warrior of Light, Yuna, Garland, Jecht, Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Kefka, and monsters called the Planesgorger and the Blackened Will.

Mog then returns to the world of Opera Omnia, reunited with the real Warrior of Light, Yuna, Cloud, and Jecht. (It was also possible to randomly obtain the equipment of those first three characters from the Lucky Chest- lot of people running around with Buster Swords afterwards.)

--- Giga Portal 1 ---

A "giga portal" opens in the sky over Brullia, and a girl with pink hair, introducing herself as the "Cosmocrat", emerges from the Questocrat's Chronicle (...which now has a red cover instead of blue, leading me to think this story was out of order for global). Defeat the monsters to save planet Brullia.

--- Dragon Quest VII ---

Islands from VII emerge on Brullia. The VII heroes work together with the three to defeat various monsters from VII in order to return the lands to their own world, saying farewell to Kiefer at one point and meeting Aishe (AKA Aira) afterwards. Eventually the three defeat Orgodemir, and the VII gang returns to their world.

--- Giga Portal 2 ---

An asteroid approaching Brullia covered in more monsters, led by one known as Astrea Xeylon, who has some degree of power over time; the pink haired Cosmocrat once again emerges, explaining that the asteroid's collision with Brullia will destroy not only Brullia, but the entire universe. Astrea Xeylon is not truly destroyed, but is sealed away. Joke's on us though, this was just before the cancellation...

--- Stuff we won't get (AKA It's Not Coming) ---

There have been many more events in Japan, including events for Dragon Quest VIII, IX, a permanent event connecting VII VIII and IX, as well as events for X, XI, Builders, DQM Joker 3, Dai no Daibouken, other FF crossovers, a Godzilla crossover(!), and more, but we're unlikely to get almost any of that stuff in global now.

Supposedly there's plans to release a few more events in Global, but it was always pretty haphazard (overlapping events, then dry spells, occasionally having no free daily draws, etc) so in light of the news, our expectations are low.

--- About Equipment ---

The costumes of all the heroes were available in the above events (and permanent events). By gathering certain parts, you could also craft costumes of a Golem, an Imp with a big fork, or a Slime stack. Also, the Golden Dragon event gave us a Healie helper you could wear in an accessory slot, where Healie floated next to you and cast Heal occasionally.

In scheduled Lucky Chest banners, players had a chance to randomly obtain the Erdrick equipment, Zenithian equipment, Sword of Kings & Light Armor (Dragon Quest III based), Ramias equipment (from Dragon Quest VI), a set of Rubiss equipment (including the Rubiss Sword from DQIII GBC, and Rubiss' staff with Kazap), a new set of Golden Dragon equipment (the boomerang is a tiny Golden Dragon!), and various other sets like the Archangel, Wargod, and Pirate equipment.

There were also seasonal costumes like swimsuits, Halloween, Christmas, and recently Spring/Easter.

Less useful equipment like Magic Armor or Steel Armor was often found for not-so-lucky rolls, but the game calls every single piece "RARE!" like it's supposed to be super amazing, which is goofy.

There was usually a chance to pick up one piece of equipment for free each day- usually it was junk, but sometimes people got something cool, like a Zenithian Sword.

There was no story explanation to any of the Lucky Chest stuff, but basically, it's what you tried to collect by playing enough of everything else (events, main story, etc) to gather gems, and thus be able to draw from the Lucky Chest.

All chests were free to draw if you collected enough gems, but players were encouraged to pay real money in exchange for extra gems if they wanted to draw even more times (and sometimes there were "step up" options for better draw rates from paid gems).

--- Closing thoughts ---

I'd say the game's biggest strength is the multiplayer, and the costumes (sorta like DQIX). It's easy to dress up as your favorite characters once their event is out- a shame they didn't get to VIII and beyond. At least I got my II outfits, and more importantly I made some friends at the Dragon's Den Discord, which has been pretty great! Honestly that's better than the game itself. : )

Also, I occasionally saw Woodus in random multiplayer!

Lately, some of us started playing the Japanese version. it's fun even though we can't reliably read what's going on- the game still makes enough sense to be able to play, and it's awesome to see all the content they've had over the years that won't be coming out here, almost like playing a sequel. So the adventure continues, sort of!

Edited by Mitsukara
  • Like 4

I hope @Ice Dragon 19comes back too.

Anyway, welcome back @redneckpride4ever! Good to see you back on the forums. 😎👍

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I've been playing and I'm about to fight Marquis de Leon.

Since learning that Bluestacks offers an on screen translation option, I can always jump for the Japanese version.

Nice! Good luck and hope you have fun! I haven't gotten Bluestacks running very well on my computer because mine's a bit old, so I haven't had a chance to try that just yet, but I'm sure having it on a computer screen is generally handy for translation.

Believe it or not, the biggest issue I have with a missing title, such as Joker 2 Pro, is not having access to the new story content.

I'd love to know the Young Yangus story as another example.

• Like 1