Seems the site was under some sort of attack and I had to work with support to try to figure out what was going on and secure the site better. The site is now behind cloudflare CDN and firewall which is why the browser check comes up when accessing the site at first.

I need to see if I can find a fix for tapatalk yet, and the news on the main page isn't working as I was using an RSS reader for that. I may just have to write my own code for that.

• Like 5

keep us update ok

I was wondering what went down yesterday. Kept getting 404 errors each time I joined, which I really found odd. I'm an IT systems admin. Do you know the cause? Like if it was a DDoS attack, or maybe someone trying to jack the site? I remember DDoS attacks happening multiple times to Smashboards a few years ago.

The support admin for my host said it was just high usage of the sites resources, like some one was hitting it very hard and very fast, not sure if it was a DDoS or a mining attempt of some sort.

51 minutes ago, Woodus said:

The support admin for my host said it was just high usage of the sites resources, like some one was hitting it very hard and very fast, not sure if it was a DDoS or a mining attempt of some sort.

Glad things are back up!

Definitely a concentrated attack of sorts. Dunno why there would be a DDoS though. Against a larger site, like Smashboards I could understand, so this might've been a mining attempt like you brought up there. There's nothing to gain by DDoS-ing the forums here. I doubt they'd go through all the trouble creating a botnet just to do that. May want to dig deeper in on this with your host.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:09 AM, Woodus said:

The site is now behind cloudflare CDN and firewall which is why the browser check comes up when accessing the site at first.

Ah, here is probably why my ancient Google Chrome over Win XP no longer opens this site. 

Atleast I did not need to ask separately ^^

Just why in the hell would someone try to DDOS here? O_o

That makes no sense.