Realizing I was nearing 1,000 different beverages in the past 6.5 years, I started studying what I really like and don't like. I came to a few realizations looking at my patterns or ratings. The vast majority of these checkins were from tasters at various breweries, and as you see from my ratings, it's not a high average. I mainly give a 3.5 to something I'd drink again, 4.0+ is something I really like:

1. Love ciders and more recently some seltzers

2. Not a fan of most craft beers, or any IPAs, or stouts.

3. My wife has drawn my attention to craft sour beers and there's a very disproportionate amount of 4.0+ beers in that range.

I think my "beer" drinking philosophy is approaching my coffee philosophy: I like the concept, but not the flavor. I've said for a decade I love my coffee when it doesn't taste of coffee. 0b2c4c2785f7b5bd082d789b3cf5590a.jpg

Wait, there’s an app that can track the beers you’ve drank? I know a couple people who would love to hear about this.

I’m gonna be honest, I don’t know much about alcohol. I rarely drink enough to get drunk, and when that happens, it’s usually because I haven’t eaten in awhile. I generally stick to Guinness and go about my day, but I usually try to drink something else whenever I’m traveling, typically an IPA. I actually went to a brewery last year before COVID ruined 2020.

Wait, there’s an app that can track the beers you’ve drank? I know a couple people who would love to hear about this.
I’m gonna be honest, I don’t know much about alcohol. I rarely drink enough to get drunk, and when that happens, it’s usually because I haven’t eaten in awhile. I generally stick to Guinness and go about my day, but I usually try to drink something else whenever I’m traveling, typically an IPA. I actually went to a brewery last year before COVID ruined 2020.
Untappd. I really enjoy it. There's another one out there that can help determine your flavor profile & predict if you'll like a beer or not, but a friend showed me that 2 years after I'd started using this, so I didn't want to switch. Besides, I can pretty much tell based on the type it is if I'll like it or not. 28b56f26e311e20aabec37e8c2c614a2.jpg

I prefer liquor.

Specifically tequila if I can get it. I prefer Lunazul.

Whiskey? Either rotgut or Jim Bean Devil's Cut.

Vodka? Stoli.

Not a gin drinker, nor a scotch. Tried both, meh.

Vodka/Cran is what i typically drink, like a good on the rocks margarita with a couple types of liquor and lime juice (Perfect Margarita at Margaritaville is a good example).

Do drink beer though, have had some really good sours in the past year, I have the Tapped app, but forget to check-in most times

Only whisky I can drink is fireball, smell of the normal stuff makes me nauseous (got sick off of it when I was younger)

• Like 1
Vodka/Cran is what i typically drink, like a good on the rocks margarita with a couple types of liquor and lime juice (Perfect Margarita at Margaritaville is a good example).
Do drink beer though, have had some really good sours in the past year, I have the Tapped app, but forget to check-in most times
Only whisky I can drink is fireball, smell of the normal stuff makes me nauseous (got sick off of it when I was younger)
Do love me some Fireball! Was recommended to me to mix that with Dr. Pepper & it's been great! Flavored liquors have been a go-to for a while now. Peanut butter rum or whiskey perhaps has been amazing! Got a blackberry whiskey up here in NC that's been delicious.
51 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Was recommended to me to mix that with Dr. Pepper & it's been great!

That sounds interesting, what's the mix?  1/4 fireball to 3/4 dr. pepper or so?

That sounds interesting, what's the mix?  1/4 fireball to 3/4 dr. pepper or so?
I usually did about 2-3 oz. Fireball & then maybe 12 oz of Dr. Pepper. Enough to mostly fill a regular pint glass. So yeah, close to the ratio you mentioned.
  • Like 1

Been trying various reposado brands of Tequila.

Is nice.

• Like 1

I've known too many alcoholics to really enjoy alcohol. Very, very rarely (once or twice a year, and only with a group of friends) I'll drink some liquor. If I'm going to drink, I prefer a bit of Hennessy. If that's not available, then literally whatever rum is available, with coke.

I've not found a beer I could stand to smell, let alone drink.

Got bought a shot of Jameson while in Vegas this weekend, wasn't too bad. Haven't really had anything like that since high school (except for some fireball).

• Like 2

uh some Mint Tea which is apparently good for digestive health...

not too much adventurous drinking from me due to a medicine's reaction with alcohol which I learned the hard way.

I just try to visit different places when I travel and try their coffee or teas

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 8:22 PM, Fates said:

uh some Mint Tea which is apparently good for digestive health...

not too much adventurous drinking from me due to a medicine's reaction with alcohol which I learned the hard way.

I just try to visit different places when I travel and try their coffee or teas

Oh man, I’m all about the coffee. I like tea too, but given the choice, it’s coffee 99.6% of the time. I’m not picky though, I’ll drink anything from Folgers to $20 espresso.

Have you found any coffees and/or coffee shops that are particularly outstanding?

• Like 1
Oh man, I’m all about the coffee. I like tea too, but given the choice, it’s coffee 99.6% of the time. I’m not picky though, I’ll drink anything from Folgers to $20 espresso.

Have you found any coffees and/or coffee shops that are particularly outstanding?
This has become my favorite coffee by far. 19e208a8b00878c2cb0cc10c67c433ce.jpg
On 4/2/2021 at 3:28 AM, Plattym3 said:

This has become my favorite coffee by far. 19e208a8b00878c2cb0cc10c67c433ce.jpg

Oh yeah! Cafe Bustelo is the best! I’ve never tried the instant version, but I’d imagine it’s also very good.

local greek import store has a nescafe blend that's really good. Strong, so gotta watch how much you put in otherwise you just get blasted by dark roast

as far as coffee places... well when I'm in Ohio there's a place called High Octane coffee. It's really good and their espresso is also pretty good in both taste and "kicking your butt into gear". In Baltimore, Joann's in Dundalk is really good. They opened >just< before COVID and I was afraid they wouldn't make it through the shutdowns but they are still there and bustling!

for franchise coffee.... Panera's Hazelnut blend is really good. Starbucks has the most effective espresso shots. Dunkin has the best Iced Coffee. I was in Buffalo NY last week too and they got a bunch of Tim Hortons (a canadian chain?), they also have good coffee. Their breakfast sandwiches though, hopefully you like your eggs white because it got my gf sick...

Edited by Fates

So sad to have finished the rest of this from Hendersonville, NC. Bought 4 a couple years ago from a cidery. Cider mixed with grape brandy. So damn good. We bought 1 and finished it on vacation, gave one to each set of parents (who were meh so we drank most at holidays) and then my wife had snuck a 4th one away for us we had last year. Was surprised to find some on Easter at my parents' place and promptly finished it off. 77fdeeb92f47492916d447c114aa00cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Jameson on the rocks.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...