Bravely Yakuza: Like a Default: 2 races in 1!

I'm loving abusing the sleep mode sailing feature to get tons of JP and some EXP while I'm not Bravely Defaulting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a myriad of reasons, including the Amazon River, Christmas sales, long-ass games, tortoises & piranhas, @YangustheLegendaryBandit and I have decided we're doing a duo contest between us this y

Not to self promote, but Platty makes a good point: You should check out that old Bravely Default gameplay journal I made here on the Den. I talked about a lot of stuff in that topic and (going off of

Bravely Default 2 has been beaten...or at least I think it has been. Got through the final dungeon below the kingdom of Musa and defeated the big bad at the end. But suddenly the game pulled a surpris

Posted Images

On 3/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, Plattym3 said:

Being able to concentrate on anything for 12 hours straight would be great. I'm too much... squirrel! giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7cvhmu82xkh6zmq3oi18mef2pk8uf5rwxokwyp1t7&rid=giphy.gif

Hahahaha. Yeah, that’s a problem too.

23 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With the job you have where you can barely play in a given week, I’m sure it would be.

One of my Switch friends has owned Bravely 2 since launch, and I swear I’m being serious, he already has 85 hours in the game. I don’t know if he took a bunch of time off of work or what but damn.

My goodness. Good for him. Max I ever do is one day off on the release of a mainstream DQ title.

I am working on my limited playtime. I’ve been pretty consistent on getting about 8-10 hours a week divided between my three current games. Part of that has been allowing myself to play in shorter sessions, which really add up. Before, if I only had 20 mins, I’d end up screwing around on my phone, now I try to grab a game that I know I can make some progress, however small, even if it’s just some grinding. 

The other part has been playing my switch, GBA, and 3DS more on the go.

Here’s to 2021 being a good year for playtime!

• Like 1

Made it to chapter 5 in Yakuza. I now have my 4th party member and have been doing a lot of the side activities. Can Quest in particular took up a lot of my time tonight. It’s a very addictive mini-game.

Worked on some more of the side stories too and unlocked the Part Time Hero app for the phone. Seems like it’s a lot of the fodder side quests you find in other games like “Collect X amount of this item,” or “Defeat X enemy several times.” I might work on these kind of quests here and there, but we’ll see. Probably be more of something I’ll see if I can do as I naturally play.

• Like 2

Falling asleep playing is becoming an issue. Seriously, I have no clue why I'm so tired. Nothing out of the ordinary going on. I've gone to bed at 8, 9, and 9:30 three nights the past week. I'm usually 11-12 easily! Oh well, better for my health, bad for BD2.

I'm OK with gimmick this games running with for most asterisk holders and what happens when I beat them. The unspoilery explanation is... They're not all bad. So, my earlier frustration with not killing them all is now kinda pointless for story reasons. I think I'm in the last dungeon of Chapter 2. Got a Ranger and Red Mage asterisk so far. Also, found someone I cannot beat at B&D. They have this rule card they play at the beginning that gives them bonus area when they take a square and I just can never overcome that advantage!

Beat that huge tank dude in Chapter 2. He was HARD. More about that in a minute.

I'd been relying on a great strategy that has basically ended all random encounters without me taking a hit. Earlier on, I'd made PlattySeth a Monk & near mastered it. Adelle had mastered Vanguard. I made them both Berserkers and this is where I broke random encounters. For 18MP, they can go berserk for 3 turns. And a bit down the skill tree they can use all skills for 0 MP when berserk. The second it's their turn, they use Brave to get 4 actions. I go berserk and use high level skills. They don't always activate the ones I want, but typically I'll get an AOE attack in there somewhere and a couple of them wipe out all enemies. Been easy JP & EXP grinding like that.

The tank dude battle broke that skill earlier, and luckily Elvis can break through elemental immunity with his magic. It took me 3 tries to see what else people were immune to (had a fire sword one time, which rendered Adelle useless). And hey, I am proud I won the 3rd time becuase I realized I'd been playing on Easy for a few hours as I put it down to test some stuff and forgot to get back to Normal. Got it Normal a few floors before the boss fight and took him out on normal.

Now I can be Shieldmaster. Sounds like another great one to pair with my Berserkers.

• Like 2

Made a good chunk of progress in Yakuza today. Still in Chapter 5 and have been doing some of the side quests. The management side quest is available now, and funny enough the store ended up being called Ichiban Convections. Of course Ichiban jumped right on board with helping out (and the rest of the party just let him go right to it) and from doing it there’s a new shop I can go to for some cheap and strong healing items.

Another feature I unlocked was the crafting area. You can strengthen existing weapons and make new weapons and armor with the right materials. Had to laugh that this manager of the forge can somehow make things like baseball bats that are always on fire that never burn away.

And lastly, I unlocked the job class system! Woo-hoo! Changing job classes is pretty quick, just have to go to Hello Work and bam! Job change. It’s very DQ Alltrades Abbey like. You need different requirements to unlock the job classes for each individual character, but with the ones each character has open to them by default I think they will be able to handle things.

• Like 2

Speaking of default... I'm Bravely working on grinding JP tonight. PlattySeth mastered Freelancer about 10 game hours ago and has been rolling in JP like crazy since then. I regret not mastering Freelancer for everyone else, so it's time to make this right!
  • Like 1

Well, that plan didn't last long.  I ended going and kicking that Pictomancer's butt to pretty much bring Chapter 2 to a close.  And by kick butt, I mean die horribly the first time and win the second time with every single person poisoned and under 1,000 HP.

In chapter 6 of Yakuza now. Things are getting pretty serious in the story, and the dungeon you have to start out in for this chapter is long. Thank goodness for the multiple save points. The boss at the end was hilarious but powerful, and I got a kick out of it suddenly roaring like a dragon for no real reason once the fight began.

Guess we’ll see if the big turf war the game is building up will happen or not.

And now I’m in chapter 7 of Yakuza. Guess the bulk of chapter 6 was the giant dungeon I had to do, as the story point I needed to go to when I started playing again was quick and to the point. But hoo boy, the tension is rising once again, and it seems we have to enter the lion’s den now and go and talk with the 3rd group that makes up the triangle of power in Yokohama.

But why advance the story when there’s exploring to be done?! Went and changed job classes for everyone and explored the park area in the northeast part of the city, and it was there I discovered a new mini-game: Dragon Kart! You drive around courses, pick up special weapons to blast your opponents with and try to be the #1 racer at the end of each Grand Prix cup...boy, this reminds me of another kart racing game, one that stars a guy who’s name begins with the letter “M.” Must be my imagination though. Mama Mia, I need to try and remember who I’m thinking of!

Oh, I unlocked something else pretty cool. Seems as though I’ve reached the point a side quest us Dragon Quest fans are all too familiar with now: collecting miniature items for an eccentric collector. Found a Tojo Clan Medal and immediately received info that a guy is trying to collect as many as possible since the fall of the Tojo Clan. Guess it’s time to start scavenging through the city to find as many as I can now!

Really getting a kick out of this game more and more.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:02 PM, Plattym3 said:

Speaking of default... I'm Bravely working on grinding JP tonight. PlattySeth mastered Freelancer about 10 game hours ago and has been rolling in JP like crazy since then. I regret not mastering Freelancer for everyone else, so it's time to make this right!

Do you know if the same JP bonus exists in the first game?

There are ways. It might be worth reading Yangus's Bravely Default Journal from 5+ years ago. It's not super spoilery at the start. Or@YangustheLegendaryBandit might remember more & specifics. I read through 400+ posts last night in the Bravely Second journal, enough to convince me I remember nothing of consequence.
  • Like 2
On 3/12/2021 at 5:42 AM, cprmauldin said:

On 3/12/2021 at 6:16 AM, Plattym3 said:

There are ways. It might be worth reading Yangus's Bravely Default Journal from 5+ years ago. It's not super spoilery at the start. Or@YangustheLegendaryBandit might remember more & specifics. I read through 400+ posts last night in the Bravely Second journal, enough to convince me I remember nothing of consequence.

Not to self promote, but Platty makes a good point: You should check out that old Bravely Default gameplay journal I made here on the Den. I talked about a lot of stuff in that topic and (going off of what I remember) I never got too much into spoilers.

• Like 2

Don't think I've mentioned it yet, but man does BD2 go some dark places. Piles of dead bodies, orphaned kids, forced suicides. It's a chibified, but this is not a happy go lucky tale, no matter what Elvis says.

Picked up another asterisk today. Was just going along with the story and someone wanted to fight. Um, sure. Another asterisk!

Opened up a boatload of side quests in Chapter 3 and one was literally go talk to someone & over. OK, seems a bit fillery to me but at least it was quick!

Wow, chapter 7 of Yakuza got really intense. Managed to meet up with the 3rd faction of Ijincho and from that meeting it turns out there was a party member surprise! I totally didn’t expect that. Can’t exactly say much since it’s super spoilerific but it was a good surprise since I didn’t expect it. The game did a good job hiding it. If you’re going to have a reveal like that, you actually need to keep it a secret and make the context clues VERY subtle.

Anyway, now that that is over it seems we have to meet up with someone at 2 AM in game. The party is going to kill time until then so it’s time to go and do a few side stories I haven’t done yet. Might go check out Hello Work and change around job classes again, see if anything new is opened up for my characters.

24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Don't think I've mentioned it yet, but man does BD2 go some dark places. Piles of dead bodies, orphaned kids, forced suicides. It's a chibified, but this is not a happy go lucky tale, no matter what Elvis says.

Picked up another asterisk today. Was just going along with the story and someone wanted to fight. Um, sure. Another asterisk!

Opened up a boatload of side quests in Chapter 3 and one was literally go talk to someone & over. OK, seems a bit fillery to me but at least it was quick!

So it’s going for more of the dark tone Bravely Default had. That’s good to know. I was surprised BD1 touched on some of the topics it did, but that did help make the game memorable with how it balanced everything out.

Kicking ass and taking names. Found a kinda quick JP farming place. 90 mins finished off everyone on getting Freelancer mastered so now it's sweet 1.7x JP forever! Also I opened up Spiritmaster and Swordmaster last night with a really tough boss fight and those are pretty much halfway mastered as well. My 2 physical attackers are going crazy with the amazing sword drops I got during JP farming and my magic users are all jacked up too. Time to go finish off Chapter 3 and move on.

Finishing Chapter 3 proved a bit tougher. The final asterisk holder boss beat me the first time with mechanics I hate. They had like 80K health. I take out about 60K and they save up 4 attacks and destroy my full-health party in 1 turn. Bleh. I fell asleep and forgot the strategy & equipment changes I meant to do to negate or lower some elemental damage. Oops. But I won this morning going full offensive and having people feed MP stuff to my attackers. Still, good thing I could switch equipped held items in the battle and a shield help win the day!

Damn, #$*! going down. Tons of people dying, armies & whoa!

Choices to make now. Chapter 4 has begun and the world's a #$*! show.

. Can’t exactly say much since it’s super spoilerific but it was a good surprise since I didn’t expect it. The game did a good job hiding it. If you’re going to have a reveal like that, you actually need to keep it a secret and make the context clues VERY subtle.

I forgot to say. I had JUST THIS MOMENT LAST NIGHT IN BRAVELY! it was definitely a jaw-drop moment outta left field!
On 3/12/2021 at 4:16 AM, Plattym3 said:

On 3/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Not to self promote, but Platty makes a good point: You should check out that old Bravely Default gameplay journal I made here on the Den. I talked about a lot of stuff in that topic and (going off of what I remember) I never got too much into spoilers.

Great idea! I’ll dig into it.

Petty complaint time: names.

Did Bravely Default 2 get too localized? I mean here I am, Seth & Elvis going to battle the big bad... Adam!

Yep, early on you see Adam is the big bad guy. (then again, he's likely a puppet and there's a world-killing demon God behind it all, I mean it IS a JRPG, right?)

But here I am with Elvis, a name way too famous just to be tossed around as a character name and we're embarking on a giant quest to beat Adam.

Can't wait for Bravely Second 2: the quest to defeat Chad.

• Like 2

Oh right, I should make an update too.

Ahem...I’m in chapter 8 of Yakuza. Met up with the Ijin Three and have been collecting Tojo Clan Medals. Barely started the new chapter last night.

Phew! Quite the update, am I right?

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Petty complaint time: names.

Did Bravely Default 2 get too localized? I mean here I am, Seth & Elvis going to battle the big bad... Adam!

Yep, early on you see Adam is the big bad guy. (then again, he's likely a puppet and there's a world-killing demon God behind it all, I mean it IS a JRPG, right?)

But here I am with Elvis, a name way too famous just to be tossed around as a character name and we're embarking on a giant quest to beat Adam.

Can't wait for Bravely Second 2: the quest to defeat Chad.

Watch as the next villain in BD2 is called Eve and you have to go to a forbidden garden.

Oh right, I should make an update too.
Ahem...I’m in chapter 8 of Yakuza. Met up with the Ijin Three and have been collecting Tojo Clan Medals. Barely started the new chapter last night.
Phew! Quite the update, am I right?
Watch as the next villain in BD2 is called Eve and you have to go to a forbidden garden.
Elvis slicks back his hair, grabs a guitar...

Oh yeah, I should update too. I'm in Chapter 4. Apparently the goal is to go back to the 3 previous cities and deal with stuff going down there. Dealt with 2 of 3. Ugh, these boss battles. I get it, you have a #$*! ton of HP and I have to just keep doing the same thing for 15 mins. I have a hard time losing nowadays. I maxed out my healer wirh this class that grants HP gains, MP, gains, status effect canceling, and something else benefits every turn. It starts at the beginning of every battle. Princess Gloria is a healing machine.

At the start of chapter 9 in Yakuza, and HOLY #$*!! Lots of story stuff happened that I was not expecting! This game has done a great job with bringing in story and character surprises. Never thought I’d get so gripped by the story, but it’s well done.

At the end of chapter 8 you get to fight the jerk who’s been causing you problems for a good chunk of the game. It was very satisfying kicking his butt and seeing Ichiban give him what for considering all the crap the guy has been through because of this antagonist.

Nearing the 40 hour mark, and this game hasn’t gotten old or boring once. It was a little too cutscene heavy at the beginning, but I’m glad there’s a much better balance as the game has gone on. Being able to freely explore before going to the next destination too is great! Man, this has been a wonderful game/RPG so far.

Well surprise surprise. Seems there's probably some big bad thing out there, not just ADAM!

Was getting close to the boss of Chapter 4 last night when a maze with stupid elevators popped up. Was way too tired to deal with that #$*!. Oh well, perhaps tonight!

Also found out I missed an optional job quest a ways back. Will need to go back and do that.

Ended Chapter 4 with a bang. Time to do some Heroes of Light shenanigans.

But first, it's grind time. Basically I'm close to my final job setup. But, the past 2 asterisks I got have awesome skills: dual wield & no damage limit (it's currently 9999). Problem is I don't really have any interest in those jobs really, but gonna have to stick with them to job level 11 & 12 to unlock those skills. Bleh.