Bravely Yakuza: Like a Default: 2 races in 1!

157299641_459520695394816_8072613221035010586_n.jpg

For a myriad of reasons, including the Amazon River, Christmas sales, long-ass games, tortoises & piranhas, @YangustheLegendaryBandit and I have decided we're doing a duo contest between us this year.  Yangus started Yakuza: Like a Dragon the other day, a game I desperately want to play too, and I started Bravely Default 2. We're going to see who can roll credits on both first.  Might give us a little break if BD2 gets a bit grindy, or Yakuza gets cut-scene heavy & we're not feeling that game that day, we can jump to the other and still make progress!

Let the updates begin!

Edited by Plattym3
  • Like 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a myriad of reasons, including the Amazon River, Christmas sales, long-ass games, tortoises & piranhas, @YangustheLegendaryBandit and I have decided we're doing a duo contest between us this y

Not to self promote, but Platty makes a good point: You should check out that old Bravely Default gameplay journal I made here on the Den. I talked about a lot of stuff in that topic and (going off of

Bravely Default 2 has been beaten...or at least I think it has been. Got through the final dungeon below the kingdom of Musa and defeated the big bad at the end. But suddenly the game pulled a surpris

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

I'm more than slightly annoyed by the battle I just got in. It's with an over world enemy that if it saw me, would've run away. I walked up and smacked it, getting that Brave point for everyone to start the battle. But 4 of the 5 enemies in the battle attacked before my first chance to. WTF, game. Way for that battle that I initiated to start. emoji849.png

The side quest system has a questionable "rank" or how difficult the quests are. I had a 5/10 difficulty one. It was to beat some random dudes outside town. Then I had a 2/10 that involved 3 trips into a much harder dungeon and back. emoji2369.png That first one took 3 mins, the other took hours.

Edited by Plattym3
  • Like 2

OK, update from overnight.  I royally messed up my sleep pattern, but I did get deep into Chapter 1.

Beat my first asterisk holder in Chapter 1.  Dude wasn't as much hard as it was long and dragged out.  No real threat, just had to go about it methoidally.

Then went through a dungeon and took out a 2nd asterisk holder.  I guess what I should have done is seen the annoying status effects that were being thrown on me, purposely lost to readjust equipment and then tried again.  That would have worked out better in the long run.  As it is, I ended up beating her with only Hero Platty (Seth "some people" call him) alive.  With my Special attack.  While blind.  Was gonna risk using some Pheonix Downs, but poor Platty was at about 50% health and I wasn't sure he'd have lasted until everyone else was alive.  What sucks is finding out the hard way you can't use that Special attack if you're trying to do multiple attacks in a round. Was gonna spend all my points to do 4 actions: Phoenix Down x3, then special to win and let everyone bathe in that sweet EXP & JP, but alas, no.

Also, then I found the card game.  FML, just give @YangustheLegendaryBandit the crown now, I played FAR TOO MUCH.

• Like 1

This two races in one idea works because it will help make up for us not doing a race last year.

Anyway, at the start of chapter 3 of Yakuza. Currently exploring the new area I’m in to help out the homeless guy who helped fix up Ichiban after what happened in chapter 2.

Also, since this game is inspired by Dragon Quest and because I’m in a run down town right now, I found this music appropriate to play in the background while exploring it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

This two races in one idea works because it will help make up for us not doing a race last year.

Wasn't last year Romancing SaGa 2?
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Wasn't last year Romancing SaGa 2?

That was our 2019 race. We started it in the middle of November, so later than usual.

2017: Trails in the Sky

2018: Suikoden

2019: Romancing SaGa 2

2020: Nothing

2021: Bravely Default II and Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

That was our 2019 race. We started it in the middle of November, so later than usual.
2017: Trails in the Sky
2018: Suikoden
2019: Romancing SaGa 2
2020: Nothing
2021: Bravely Default II and Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
Much like SaGa, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Made it to chapter 4 of Yakuza. Ichiban has now officially become the “Hero,” of the game and has obtained his holy sword, which is a bat with barbed wire all over it. 🤣

Said bat apparently changes the very fabric of reality since it caused the immediate battle that followed to drastically change the appearance of enemies. The Dragon Quest references are starting to ramp up too.

Nanba, the homeless man who joins you as a party member, has some great attack and support skills. I like the dynamic he and Ichiban have, and it seems like he’ll stick with Ichiban through thick and thin. Adachi has re-joined me now too, so that’s great. I’m curious to know more about his backstory.

• Like 1
Made it to chapter 4 of Yakuza. Ichiban has now officially become the “Hero,” of the game and has obtained his holy sword, which is a bat with barbed wire all over it.
Said bat apparently changes the very fabric of reality since it caused the immediate battle that followed to drastically change the appearance of enemies. The Dragon Quest references are starting to ramp up too.
Nanba, the homeless man who joins you as a party member, has some great attack and support skills. I like the dynamic he and Ichiban have, and it seems like he’ll stick with Ichiban through thick and thin. Adachi has re-joined me now too, so that’s great. I’m curious to know more about his backstory.
Dude I already have too many games to play right now, why you trying to make me want to to play this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Dude I already have too many games to play right now, why you trying to make me want to to play this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m like the little devil on your shoulder, making you do something you shouldn’t.

• Like 2

Mastered Freelancer with Platty. Now he can earn that sweet 1.7x JP! Time to be a Monk.

Been working on the side stories that have been available in Chapter 4. Right now I’m helping a “scientist,” gather information on Sujimon, which is apparently what we’re supposed to call all the random guys that attack Ichiban and the group. The scientist gives you an app to start tracking data and, in a very on the nose Pokemon reference, asks you to choose between a red, blue, or green colored starter to get your Sujimon data collection going. He even says “I choose you!” at the start of the battle!

I feel like this game knows how to balance the silly and the serious quite well. Some other RPGs I’ve played have tried to do this but just miss the mark one way or another, but so far I feel like Yakuza Like a Dragon has done this balancing act pretty well.

Edit: And once the battle ended the Sujimon Sensei said you can be the best, like no one ever was. Oh my god, this game... 🤣

Mastered another class! Vanguard with Ms. Adelle. I guess it's time to make her something else.

I had to message@YangustheLegendaryBandit tonight because someone died! I'm super excited about this as one of my few complaints about Bravely games are you defeat these bad guys in battle and THEY ALWAYS GET AWAY, and then more often then not you have to fight them again later. Not one of these people, boom, dead!

Finishing up Chapter 1 at about 13 hours. Got geeze, 8+ asterisks already. So. Many. Jobs.

59 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm super excited about this as one of my few complaints about Bravely games are you defeat these bad guys in battle and THEY ALWAYS GET AWAY, and then more often then not you have to fight them again later.

You do kill them, but upon awakening the 4 crystals and traveling to the next world, the asterisk holders are back BECAUSE you’re in a new world where they weren’t killed yet.

In Bravely Second (which is set in the world you start in in Bravely Default before the 4 crystals have been awakened and you move on) most of the original Asterisk holders are back because of a mysterious figure in green. That I will agree has a BS explanation how they were magically back for Second.

I don’t know why they retconned them dying in the original world Tiz, Agnes and Edea came from for Second, but there you go.

• Like 1

Loving my new berserker job! Moved into Chapter 2 proper. I guess the design team had fun basically designing all these cities to be suffering from one calamity or another. And actually using that word. It's going to be a tie how many times "calamity" is mentioned in BD2 compared to Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

So many little sidequests. I haven't looked at the numbers yet to see if I've missed any, but I keep going back and forth between towns to check. Much like Ni no Kuni 2, once you make it to a new town, Sidequests pop up in older towns.

Oh speaking of side quests, I've ranked up in the B&D card game. Now I can battle even more people. Walking around for an hour or so doing that now. Gotta collect them all!

Oh hey, my copy of Bravely Default 2 arrived in the mail today. Didn’t get the chance to start it until now (mainly because I had to work all day) but I’m about 30 minutes in.

Now Platty can start playing Yakuza Like a Dragon.

• Like 1
Oh hey, my copy of Bravely Default 2 arrived in the mail today. Didn’t get the chance to start it until now (mainly because I had to work all day) but I’m about 30 minutes in.
My son knocked over the PS4 today pretty good. Was worried about it, so turned it on for the first time since mid-November. It was fine. It did an update, installed Yakuza, did the Yakuza update... so back to Bravely Default 2!
6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
20 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

My son knocked over the PS4 today pretty good. Was worried about it, so turned it on for the first time since mid-November. It was fine. It did an update, installed Yakuza, did the Yakuza update... so back to Bravely Default 2!

You know you want to play 12 hours of Yakuza while I try and play 12 hours of BD2 to catch up.

You know you want to play 12 hours of Yakuza while I try and play 12 hours of BD2 to catch up.
I gotta start Yakuza: Like a Cutscene a wee bit earlier in the night.

Bravely 2: Have Seth, Elvis, and Adelle in my party with Sir Sloan accompanying me. I feel like I’ve seen the name Sir Sloan in another RPG (not Bravely related) but for the life of me I can’t remember where from.

I’m surprised you get to start with the Black Mage class along with the Freelancer. It explains why Elvis uses that class as his default costume, but I don’t think he’s the actual Black Mage asterisk holder. Maybe he inherited it from his mentor he mentioned to Sir Sloan.

Anyway, I’m off to save Gloria and stop the two who kidnapped her.

Yakuza: LAD - Made a ton of progress in this one today before going to work. Unlocked the hangout location (with a bartender voiced by Snake from Metal Gear Solid no less!), gained access to some new features for the party in and out of battles, and beat up the Seiryu Yakuza family.

Really enjoying this game a lot. I can see why so many have said it’s great.

• Like 1
Bravely 2: Have Seth, Elvis, and Adelle in my party with Sir Sloan accompanying me. I feel like I’ve seen the name Sir Sloan in another RPG (not Bravely related) but for the life of me I can’t remember where from.
I’m surprised you get to start with the Black Mage class along with the Freelancer. It explains why Elvis uses that class as his default costume, but I don’t think he’s the actual Black Mage asterisk holder. Maybe he inherited it from his mentor he mentioned to Sir Sloan.
Anyway, I’m off to save Gloria and stop the two who kidnapped her.

Yakuza: LAD - Made a ton of progress in this one today before going to work. Unlocked the hangout location (with a bartender voiced by Snake from Metal Gear Solid no less!), gained access to some new features for the party in and out of battles, and beat up the Seiryu Yakuza family.
Really enjoying this game a lot. I can see why so many have said it’s great.
Speaking of Elvis, I'm exploring his home town and dealing with the that's hitting the fan there. You know, just for once, I'd love to walk into a RPG town and have NPCs how great it is and life is just fine, thank you very much.
22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Omg to play 12 hours straight of ANY RPG would be heaven lol!

• Like 1
Being able to concentrate on anything for 12 hours straight would be great. I'm too much... squirrel! giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7cvhmu82xkh6zmq3oi18mef2pk8uf5rwxokwyp1t7&rid=giphy.gif
44 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

With the job you have where you can barely play in a given week, I’m sure it would be.

One of my Switch friends has owned Bravely 2 since launch, and I swear I’m being serious, he already has 85 hours in the game. I don’t know if he took a bunch of time off of work or what but damn.

• Like 1