Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai new manga edition (Image heavy)

To match up with the new anime, there is also a new release of the manga, a "Perfect" edition of sorts (although it is called the Color edition officially) which preserves the color pages from the manga when it ran in Jump. This new edition features new covers by the original artist (you can really see how his art style has changed over the years). The covers are done so that they create a large connected picture.

Covers 1 through 6

Covers 5 through 10

The volumes are designed to try and keep storyline's together in the same book. They release about 3 per a month. As they are still being released I only am showing the ones I have so far.

Spine covers 1 through 10 You can see that due to basing the number of pages on story size the width of the volumes vary. They have also broken the story done into sub arch's which are color coded. The blue first arch is "Disciples of Avan" and the second is "Dragon Knight". Volume 1 has the contents of the original tankoban volume 1 and part of volume 2.
Tankoban 1 and 2 It is equivalent to the bunkoban volume 1 as far as the story goes. Bunkoban volume 1 (It is amazing how the camera showed all the grime on my cover. Went to clean it after taking the picture. Did not look this bad in real life).

It is equivalent to the bunkoban volume 1 as far as the story goes.

So I will compare it to these editions. The Bunkoban basically is the same as the Tankoban version but without the extra pages etc so I will focus on the comparisons to the Tankoban. The pictures from the covers of the Tankoban are found in volume 5 of the new edition.

Tankoban 1's picture in new edition volume 5

A side note before we get started, but this title page is likely the inspiration for the first cover in the new edition. Chapter Title Page with a shadow of Hadlar.

Continued...

The first thing I noticed was the extra title page in the tankoban. Tankoban 1's picture in new edition volume 5
This is not present in the new edition. Well, the reason why ends up being that this seems to have originally been a title page for a chapter when it ran in Jump, but was moved to being a title page for the Tankoban. This seems to be a common theme going through the new edition.
Original title page version. In two toned color.
We can see that the page was originally two toned color. Note the page with Dai and Avan on the right. It appears in the Tankoban in a different place.
First comic page in all editions
The above is just a comparison of the first page of the manga in all 3 editions. The only main difference is the title of the series being present in the Tankoban version of the page.
First comic page in all editions
So here we can see the Tankoban version moved the Avan and Popp picture farther forward into the book, before the two characters were introduced in the story. We can also see the color pages in the new edition compared to the black and white version in the tankoban.

The new edition shows the change from color to two-toned color. One page color, one page two toned. Compared to the Tankoban. Same pages in black and white.

Title page removed. Here we can see once again where a title page was removed from the Tankoban edition. It makes an appearance as if it were an extra art page later in the Tankoban. On the right in the new edition is an extra picture of Avan. This won't make it into the Tankoban until volume 2. Found Title page. The new edition has a blank page with the title since the picture correctly as the title page earlier.
Found Title page.

The spell explanations have been moved to the end of the volume in the new edition (it is easier to find that way) so they are not present in the same place as the Tankoban. I think I have heard that these pages might have been in Jump but I can't confirm that at this point.

Manga page followed by art title page.

The page orders changed a bit compared with the Tankoban, with a page of manga followed by the title page changed to the title page followed by manga in the Tankoban version.

Page orders don't match.Do to this shuffle, in this picture you will notice that the colored picture pages don't match up to the Tankoban page. You will also notice an edit to the content. The six pointed star has had its lines erased. The text in the volume referring to it also calls it a "Six star" instead of a "Six pointed star".

Two Toned page.

The following page in the new edition has an empty space and then the next page. Likely this is where an ad was shown in the original magazine edition.

The one thing that the new edition seems to be missing so far is the interviews at the end of some volumes. Interview with Hori

Once again at the start of volume 2 they made a title page for the volume out of stealing a chapter's title page.
Interview with Hori

Here is the picture of Avan from before in volume 2.
Page with Avan from volume 2.

So as a general rule it looks like the new version is the most correct and complete version. There have been some changes to the art and text from the original Jump serialization though, like the above six pointed star issue. There is also at least one place where an art mistake was fixed as well. I might post about those later but I will at least wait until the equivalent anime episodes have aired.

Edited by Mimas
Fixing pic order
  • Like 2

Can I take your info and images and make a comparison page in the manga section of the Den?

21 hours ago, Woodus said:

Can I take your info and images and make a comparison page in the manga section of the Den?

Sure, it probably should go there The latest VJump has Dai as the cover so there is also another set of wallpapers you can get for the Dai section as well. http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/download/index.html

I was going through my computer and at one point I downloaded a scan of the first real chapter's color pages as well, which is not the same as the color pages from the new edition.

spacer.png

The Jump version seems that have colored in the text bubbles, colored text, and colored sound effect text. So this leaves the question of what the original work looks like. Was the color added by Jump? Was it removed from the new edition? I guess without asking the publishers or them having an art exhibit we can't answer these questions.

• Like 1

My guess would be the red and yellow were the spot colors used in that issue and the new version is the original without Jump's additional text in the margins.

4 hours ago, Dwaine said:

My guess would be the red and yellow were the spot colors used in that issue and the new version is the original without Jump's additional text in the margins.

Oh, I was hoping you would have some insight on it. The green sound effect text as well you think is a spot color? I would imagine this was before digital proofs so would you know what would be involved in adding color to the text? (I know the text is normally glued onto the original drawing)..

Yep! The other colors look like straight up CMYK process colors. This is gonna sound weird what with me being old and all, but when it comes to pre-digital printing, I always refer back to this old Reading Rainbow episode. Jump was probably printed like a newspaper, which was a pretty similar process. I used to do that and we'd get the content, cut everything out, do the layout, and hold it down with hot wax.

Today you just email the printer a PDF.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to take my medication and lie down before Matlock comes on.

• Like 1

I've said it before, but I really like the new cover art. Didn't know it joined up like that.

I've got 3 volumes of the bunkoban, undecided if I should continue with those releases for go for the new one. But the new ones being more complete makes me want to go for those.

Thanks for posting these, Mimas.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone print manga all the time? I just have a large online collection, and I want to print it all. Is it more expensive than ordering online? I live in a very small town where such deliveries are usually not carried out. I just found https://www.mrdepot.ca/products/lexmark-b2236dw-toner and it seems like it comes out cheaper than the usual replacement from official representatives, which I also have 3 hours to travel to.

Edited by ahahrtnt
17 hours ago, ahahrtnt said:

Does anyone print manga all the time? I just have a large online collection, and I want to print it all. Is it more expensive than ordering online? I live in a very small town where such deliveries are usually not carried out. I just found https://www.mrdepot.ca/products/lexmark-b2236dw-toner and it seems like it comes out cheaper than the usual replacement from official representatives, which I also have 3 hours to travel to.

Absolutely not. You're wasting paper and ink when Amazon could be wasting precious gas.

If you're remote, you could always order several and pick them up at a drop location.

• Like 1