The Quest To Revive The Dragons Den!

Alright everyone i think we can all agree that it's been a bit quiet here over time, which is understandable as we have all been busy with life and now we have other chat sites like Discord and Twitter. However i believe that we can all still give this amazing website some love, this place has helped so many Dragon Quest players for years so i was thinking that seeing as we have some active members who still use this site we could help encourage more activity by sending some messages in different sections every once in a while. I know that the forums here are much slower than on other media but that's alright.   

I'm going to do my bit too by trying to take part in as many chats as i can, on subjects that i either know about or like. It's time to breath some new life into the forums, especially in preparation for any new announcements for the Dragon Quest Anniversary. I'm still getting used to this place and i want Woodus to know just how amazing his community is and that we are all here to help support him and his work on this place.

P.S I did not know where else to create this topic so i put it here, hope you don't mind.

• Like 1

I don't know if we really need a revival, things are moving more towards things like Discord and YouTube and other socials anyway.

I've thought about dumping the forums a few times, but I will probably keep it for quite a while. Plus I don't mind the smaller crowd :) (and if the traffic spikes too much I will need to upgrade to different server specs to handle the traffic)

The site gets ~31,000 hits per month :)

• Like 2

I'm happy with the forums and do not wish to replace it with Discord/etc. This is the best online community I've ever seen, let alone been a part of.

That said, I don't feel the Den needs a revival. It's not dead. Quiet, yes, but that's part of what makes the Den so special. There is relatively little drama here.

• Like 2
I don't know if we really need a revival, things are moving more towards things like Discord and YouTube and other socials anyway.
I've thought about dumping the forums a few times, but I will probably keep it for quite a while. Plus I don't mind the smaller crowd (and if the traffic spikes too much I will need to upgrade to different server specs to handle the traffic)
The site gets ~31,000 hits per month
If the forums went away it would be a very sad day

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

That's what i mean, i want to help everyone keep the spirit here too. I'm really enjoying reading the forums, personally i think Discord is too fast plus does not make you think what you type very well as it can make things to casual, this place is nice. Easier to explore and understand. 

I'm actually going to break away from Discord, it makes me moody and make bad decisions, plus i need to get used to public places like this, maybe it'll help me improve my online reputation and the way i speak to people. 

Edited by Ice Dragon 19
  • Like 1

Not a fan of Discord or Youtube either. Forums have more of a archival ability that I don't think either of thsoe offer. Not to mention that this place even at its worse has less drama than either of them.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Mimas said:

Not a fan of Discord or Youtube either. Forums have more of a archival ability that I don't think either of thsoe offer. Not to mention that this place even at its worse has less drama than either of them.

Discord I've grown used to.  I still love forums more, but RPGamer dragged me onto Discord kicking and screaming & while I post here probably more than there, there's a place for both.

YouTube is a personal pet peeve of mine. I do use it a couple of times per year to find new music, but that's about it. I've joked with @YangustheLegendaryBandit before that I'll take 20 seconds to reply "I'm not watching that" to a 10 second clip someone sends me.  Haha, I just don't like video content in general. Don't watch the news, don't watch many movies, mainly just TV shows on Netflix.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Woodus said:

I've thought about dumping the forums a few times

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Woodus said:

but I will probably keep it for quite a while.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Discord I've grown used to.  I still love forums more, but RPGamer dragged me onto Discord kicking and screaming & while I post here probably more than there, there's a place for both.

YouTube is a personal pet peeve of mine. I do use it a couple of times per year to find new music, but that's about it. I've joked with @YangustheLegendaryBandit before that I'll take 20 seconds to reply "I'm not watching that" to a 10 second clip someone sends me.  Haha, I just don't like video content in general. Don't watch the news, don't watch many movies, mainly just TV shows on Netflix.

I can’t imagine hating YouTube, let alone video content period. That just confuses me. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

I’ll agree YouTube has done some stupid #$*! though, and the people who abuse the algorithm of the site for their own gain are bad. But there are also people who create good videos or funny content. Listening to stuff like OneyPlays while I’m playing or doing something is good because they just talk about nonsense and it’s relaxed.

The thing about YouTube (or self help videos rather than text and images) that irritates me is you can't CTRL-F a video and search for words. I don't want hear about this guys life story to find out where the f-ing screws to take the headlight out of my car are :)

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, eal said:

Lots of post today. Quest completed!

Thou Hast completed your quest, you now have been bestowed the title of Erdrick 

And the honorary title of Postman Of Alefgard 

Edited by Ice Dragon 19
The thing about YouTube (or self help videos rather than text and images) that irritates me is you can't CTRL-F a video and search for words. I don't want hear about this guys life story to find out where the f-ing screws to take the headlight out of my car are
And there's an intro and a couple minutes of BS before the self help stuff. It's the equivalent of food blogs & what the F people have been up to for the past 3 weeks before finally oh hey, here's the recipe. YouTube is a tool for me, just not a method of entertainment. Maybe it's my age, but likely it's just a me thing.
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
54 minutes ago, Woodus said:
The thing about YouTube (or self help videos rather than text and images) that irritates me is you can't CTRL-F a video and search for words. I don't want hear about this guys life story to find out where the f-ing screws to take the headlight out of my car are emoji4.png

And there's an intro and a couple minutes of BS before the self help stuff. It's the equivalent of food blogs & what the F people have been up to for the past 3 weeks before finally oh hey, here's the recipe. YouTube is a tool for me, just not a method of entertainment. Maybe it's my age, but likely it's just a me thing.

You guys are watching the wrong videos if they are giving their life stories for a help video.

• Like 1

Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, but still I don't need a 15 minute video for something that takes 2 minutes. There are plenty of things on YouTube I do like watching, like the progression of speed run videos

• Like 1

Normally with help stuff, i'd look for a simple instruction layout, or to do list. Depending on the situation, YouTube vids can be helpful for some things, you want it pretty simple or so long as you understand the process. You'd want something quick and simple if you are in a hurry so you'd try and find a video that isn't very long at all but still has the info you need.

For Recipes i tend to look up different websites, some of them may have a video already there explaining the recipe process. Or you could buy cookbooks depending on what kind of things you like to cook or for special occasions.

Edited by Ice Dragon 19
  • Like 1
Normally with help stuff, i'd look for a simple instruction layout, or to do list. Depending on the situation, YouTube vids can be helpful for some things, you want it pretty simple or so long as you understand the process. You'd want something quick and simple if you are in a hurry so you'd try and find a video that isn't very long at all but still has the info you need.

For Recipes i tend to look up different websites, some of them may have a video already there explaining the recipe process. Or you could buy cookbooks depending on what kind of things you like to cook or for special occasions.
I tend to use my AllRecipes.com app. Find the recipe I want with 1000+ ratings, read the top 10 comments that all give it 5 stars and then describe all the changes they made to make it perfect and then do that.
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I tend to use my AllRecipes.com app. Find the recipe I want with 1000+ ratings, read the top 10 comments that all give it 5 stars and then describe all the changes they made to make it perfect and then do that. emoji23.png

Oooooh i think i should try that app, thanks Plattym3 😁

A little more activity here would be nice, but reddit has become the forums of the internet. As time goes on I imagine smaller forums like this will cease to exist. On top of that, back when DQIX came out this place boomed... and, to be honest, I am glad to not deal with the negatives that come along with increased traffic. Spam bots. Annoying people. Obnoxious topics. No. I am happy with the smaller community here. There not be a great quantity of posts, but there is a great quality of posters.

44 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

A little more activity here would be nice, but reddit has become the forums of the internet. As time goes on I imagine smaller forums like this will cease to exist. On top of that, back when DQIX came out this place boomed... and, to be honest, I am glad to not deal with the negatives that come along with increased traffic. Spam bots. Annoying people. Obnoxious topics. No. I am happy with the smaller community here. There not be a great quantity of posts, but there is a great quality of posters.

I agree, i've had bad run in's with Discord for a while, i've had to moderate other people's servers and deal with drama which sometimes i had to activate slowmode because it got so bad, Discord servers tend to be dead as everyone uses Twitter and Reddit more thus i don't have them so i'm stuck here and on Discord. Discord just gets more stressful as everyone piles in at once when hot topics do happen plus messages are easy to miss. I feel like a walking bomb wherever i go on Discord, every server i end up in i somehow mess up for either myself or everyone and i'm sick of it so i'm using it less. I only care about the servers i'm keeping an eye on anyway, i still have a duty in keeping people safe, smaller communities are much better yes but even some of them can be problematic especially if you walk into a place full of strangers who may know each other much better, it makes things tricky to socialize. 

Posts are bigger here and people can find certain posts far easier than on Discord that drowns everything, you try cleaning up a general section that had a massive drama war that had 20 or 30 people talking at once cleaning up their every swears, slurs, insults, NSFW stuff and spam because you want to make sure the server sticks to the rules and no one scrolls up to see that stuff because it would give the server a bad reputation. It's not fun, you think why would ANYONE want to sit there and remove messages all night but some people are loyal to their servers like me, the things you have to do to protect others can be tiresome yet you gotta do what's right. But here it's not like that at all and it's so nice, you can't exactly spam here like on Discord plus there are topic sections where yes there may be some heated debates but not as bad.  

I'd rarther be a casual Dragon Quest fan talking about my favorite subjects with people in a chill, slow paced forum then trying to break up fights or become the peace keeper which endures every insult thrown at them under the sun until they calm down. 
Bot spam is the worst, i've not had to deal with many bots but i've seen how they can raid servers in thousands and spam all kinds of things. if ever you run into a bot in your server get rid of them ASAP. 

Edited by Ice Dragon 19
Adding more info
You guys are watching the wrong videos if they are giving their life stories for a help video.
It's incredibly common for instructional videos to take 5 minutes to explain what can be shown in 30 seconds.

32 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

It's incredibly common for instructional videos to take 5 minutes to explain what can be shown in 30 seconds.

I watched a video on how to pronounce “Lupin” that took 49 seconds.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I’m just going to chalk it up to one of those internet things I’ve never seen but others have.