I've had 7 more Dragon Quest(ions) sent to me. Crowd answering worked great last time, so I'll try this again.

1. Is there anything with story, character, quality-of-life, etc. in particular that you want to see in a hypothetical MMO sequel to DQX?

2. Did DQ9 left any cultural impact like 3 or 5?

3. IS Builder 3 a given?

4. Beside the slime, which DQ monster is merchandised the most?

5. Have you guys played any mobile-exclusive DQ games? What is you impression?

6. What is the most "controversial" change to any DQ series in history?

7. Are there hardcore DQ fans in Japan? Or it is just "everyone have played at least one DQ game" kind of affair there?

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I've had 7 more Dragon Quest(ions) sent to me. Crowd answering worked great last time, so I'll try this again.

1. Is there anything with story, character, quality-of-life, etc. in particular that you want to see in a hypothetical MMO sequel to DQX?

3. IS Builder 3 a given?

7. Are there hardcore DQ fans in Japan? Or it is just "everyone have played at least one DQ game" kind of affair there?

1. No. Never touched X so I have no idea what could be done for a sequel.

2. In Japan, yes. It was a game so many people played over there and with how big handheld gaming is it was easy for folks to interact with one another.

In the west...kind of. Plenty of people talk about it and how it was one of the first DQ games they played. And people remember the Seth Green commercials.

3. Hard to say. Builders 2 is still pretty recent.

4. Probably the Dracky, Goody Bag, and from the newer monsters the Teeny Sanguini.

5. Yes. Played Dragon Quest of the Stars but got very bored with it. Wasn’t an interesting game and it felt way too repetitive with the story line.

6. Um...I’m not really sure. I guess the port re-use of DQ1-3 always being based on the older mobile versions from the early 2000s. Because of that a lot of the newer features or extras from the remakes have been lost in ports to the Switch.

7. I’m sure there are fans in both categories. I can see DQ being a series where someone who doesn’t play games much has at least played one entry. It would be even easier nowadays for folks over there thanks to the mobile releases.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Plattym3 said:

The first thing that pops in my head is better equipment and item management. I should not have to spend as much time trying to manage them (partially due to insignificant storage) as I do playing the game itself.

Yes. The streetpass and the Metal King map made quite the impression in Japan and led to Street Pass on the 3DS.

3. IS Builder 3 a given?

No.  I would not be surprised either way. We have only had 2 Hero's games as well.

Drakey used to be the fav, but I think the Sanguini, as they are called in English, has taken over these days.

Yes. I have played Stars and Parade for a short period of time for DQX events. The mechanics that are trying to make you buy gems are rather annoying. I don't find the game play itself as compelling, but I am curious about their stories.

Having an online main series game.

Yes. There are certainly casual fans, (there are also Japanese people who don't know anything about Dragon Quest as well), but there are plenty of hardcore fans.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:49 PM, Plattym3 said:

When they tried to make IX and action game, and then took it back to turn based.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2021 at 7:49 PM, Plattym3 said:

Like the Heroes games did, I would love to see a story where the worlds start coming together and something like Legacy bosses fusing or teaming up.

It definitely did for some people, but not me. I know several who cut their teeth on these games and love playing it to this day.

3. IS Builder 3 a given?

I think the general director for that game left Square Enix, so I don't see it being likely. I think it's amazing we got two of these games, much less one.

I'd say the runner up to this is likely the Golem

I've played everything available in the US so far
Stars is great, but that's a hardcore Gacha game. It became too much for me after a while and I had to give it a break.

Tact has been amazing because I love the Monsters so much.

When they moved a Mainline title to handheld and tried to make it an Action RPG. They backpedaled on that really fast.

I follow several JP users on twitter, especially with tact coming out. Some of them are definite hardcore fans.
I also recently watched off and on a guy live streaming himself trying to beat all the Mainline titles (sans DQX) in one sitting. He made it 83 hours in and made it through about 6½ of the games before he had to call it quits.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:49 AM, Plattym3 said:

3. IS Builder 3 a given?

*cracks Knuckles* Ok lets do this

Question Uno
*Yes i would want to see more quality of life should DQX get a sequel i think it should be a bit more like DQ8 in terms of character development and music not like 11 with the same soundtracks or even have new soundtracks altogether. Maybe have some playable monsters or something not sure. Something hopefully inspirational that it gets localized. 

Question Dos
*I've not yet beaten DQ9 so i can't really say but i think the whole concept of Cestrians is quite cultural in itself. Reminds me of angels in Christian depictions, it definitely gives off a peaceful, relaxing vibe. I don't think it's as cultural as heroism in the Erdrick trilogy though. (i might have answered this question wrong but it is true that streetpass on the 3ds came from DQ9

Question Tres
*Yes i think there should be, i mean you can't have DQ 1 and 2 environments without 3, like the Erdrick trilogy just would not be the Erdrick trilogy if it was just 1 and 2 so i think a Builders 3 is a must, there are many ideas that can be in store for the game like Zoma could plan to freeze the world or something, or the many elements in DQ3. Just imagine rebuilding Alihan or beating up Barasmos with a hammer. 

Question Cuatro
*Hmmm this one's a tricky one, Slimes are certainly the most merchanadised monsters so i'd presume Sanguini as they are cute plus that one in tact is bound to be causing more popularity to the monsters.

Question Cinco 
*Yes Stars is my favorite my impression is that i love the references to every DQ game (mostly the mainline games), the fact that you can collect weapons and Armour from the games and even dress up as the heroes, the gatcha can be challenging sometimes but the events are really fun plus the music they add in with each event to match the setting is really nice. 
And also Tact, i'm not as used to it as stars but it's nice for monster fans of the series, plus i enjoy my party of the Dragonlord with a gold ice dragon, dark mage, that ice crystal slime (the one with the multiheal not the slimestical), and the titain with four armed arms. The strategic gameplay is quite nice/

Question Seis 
*Not having the bar fight scene from DQ8 in later installments, just kidding. I'm not quite sure, i've not played enough DQ to really make a choice but i do miss the Pankris (you know, that dice board game mini game) from DQ3 i think it was controversial that they removed it in the switch version because it was a big part of DQ3 in my opinion anyway, plus that mini game isn't really seen anywhere else as far as i'm aware of. 

Question Siete
*It Depends on the person, Pokemon is also very popular over there, although Dragon Quest is a cult of it's own in Japan and they have themed cafes, shops, performances etc. I do think there are the occasional people who may have never played a Dragon Quest game but i do think you are far more likely to find more hardcore fans in Japan then anywhere else in the world when you think about it. Pokemon already has a Pokemon center in London but nothing really DQ related anywhere outside Japan as of yet. Even if the series has brought more attention outside than before thanks to smash, stars, tact, Builders, DQ11 etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!  I answered these questions on Q&A Quest Episode 200 last night, bringing up some points you all made.  Again, appreciate the group think!

I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes:

1) English language

2) Minimal, from what I've seen

3) I wouldn't know, but if it is I would hope it takes more cues from Minecraft. It's interesting to see a building game with a story but the fact that there is a definitive ending and the game doesn't get updated with new features for extended play gives me little reason to build anything beyond the bare minimum to progress. I want an open-ended world like Minecraft, a sandbox of interconnected systems, but with a Dragon Quest setting.

4) Almost certainly the Drakee.

5) No. Square Enix blocks their apps on phones which have USB debugging enabled, a feature I require and use almost daily. I played the mobile ports of 1-6 and 8 on iOS before switching to Android.

6) Patty-cake. Censorship is evil in any case - and this one is just downright creepy. When you take what we all know to be Puff-Puff and make it sound child-centric... Just no.

7) I can't speak from first hand knowledge but I imagine both groups of people do exist.