Hosts @YangustheLegendaryBandit & @Plattym3 welcome back @AustNerevar, @Bururian, and @Pendy to NOT TALK VIDEO GAMES! We know, it’s a shock! We cover close to a thousand hours of Star Trek from James Tiberius Kirk in 1966 to Michael Burnham in 2021 and everyone in between! 45 years of Trek in a little under 3 hours!

Need some translation help? https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tamarian_language

4:30 - Star Trek: The Original Series

23:15 - Star Trek: The Animated Series

30:00 - Star Trek: The Next Generation

51:15 - Star Trek: Deep Space 9

1:06:35 - Star Trek: Voyager

1:30:00 - Star Trek: Enterprise

1:47:25 - Star Trek: Discovery

2:07:20 - Star Trek: Picard

2:21:05 - Star Trek: Lower Decks

2:35:00 - Star Trek Movies

• Like 2

Listening now. Yangus' Yoda is spot on!

I first saw Star Trek the Original series when I was real little, in the early '80s. I remember it scared the hell out of me, but I found it interesting enough to remember it. I was more of a Star Wars fan, but in the back of my mind I always found Trek interesting. Years later in the early 2000s I ended up watching every episode of the original series and the animated sequel and loved it for its campiness.

I watched a handful of Next gen episodes when I was young. I was in the 3rd grade when Next Gen came out, but I didn't follow it, religiously, and watch every episode. I skipped Deep Space Nine and then my interest was rekindled again in college (circa 1999) because my roommate Greg (sophomore year) was a fan, and we'd watch Voyager together. I have fond memories of talking with him about how hot Jeri Ryan was on that show.

I wasn't so much into the newer Star Trek movies where they recast everyone younger and tried to make it a Star Wars level of action, but of the films Wrath of Khan is amazing. I thought The Orville did a really good job at mirroring the Next Gen feel, despite not being a Star Trek show. It's something Seth MacFarlane pitched as a real Star Trek show (with Family Guy styled humor) and was shot down, so he did his own thing. Then years later they came out with Lower Decks and it just looks like a Family Guy style Star Trek show. If I was MacFarlane I'd be kinda pissed about that, but I dunno. I've never watched it so I don't know if it's any good. I saw a few clips and they looked off-brand, but I think that's part of the comedy.

Years later in 2015 I started watching Doctor Who from the beginning of the original series (black and white) and  was surprised that it actually predates Star Trek by around 5 years, and it was in black and white for the first 6 seasons. We wouldn't even see it in color until 1970 when the 3rd Doctor was introduced--well after Star Trek had had its 3 season run in all color. Both were long running sci-fi shows, but Who had a longer run--perhaps because of the smaller budget. I was vaguely aware of Who, but not until I was a teenager, whereas Trek was an unmistakable part of American pop culture for 20 years with less episodes, by the time I was a young kid in the early '80s.

Re: Tashar Yar "I hear she was good at Data entry," Haha. Best joke of the episode! Nice one, @Bururian

• Like 2
The Danger Room in X-Men still predates all of Star Trek by like 3 years though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 2/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, Liamland said:

Not many people talk about Star Trek the Animated Series in general! :evillaugh:

On 2/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, AustNerevar said:

The Danger Room in X-Men still predates all of Star Trek by like 3 years though.

Apparently the original Danger Room was mechanical, though. Not holographic. When exactly did it gain holographic imagery? Before or after the Star Trek Animated Series?

Apparently the original Danger Room was mechanical, though. Not holographic. When exactly did it gain holographic imagery? Before or after the Star Trek Animated Series?
Oh I don't know. I only ever read the first 20 or so issues of the original comic and then a bunch of 2000s era stuff.

That said, the Trek holodeck isn't entirely holographic either. Some of that stuff is replicated matter.

Even in the animated series I don't think they called it a holodeck. Might have been the rec room. It only technically originated in TAS. I think it appeared for all of like 10 seconds as an opening scene and then was never talked about again.

9 hours ago, Liamland said:

1983, so after.

• Like 1

I would like to qualify this as the best episode of Slime Time.

You're welcome.

• Like 1