Are DQ mainline games going to be all that's left of consoles in the future?  Is DQ going all mobile?  I've not been very encouraged by all the recent releases (with the exception of the Rivals Switch port which I guess we never see in English). Maybe it's Covid, maybe it's the wave of the future, but pretty much everything but mobile seems dead:

DQ Swords? 1 & done

Rocket Slime? 3 & out

DQ Builders? Seems done, didn't the director leave the company?

DQ Heroes? Nothing new. Those first 2 came out so close together, but no news since.

Mystery Dungeon? Only for Pokemon apparently.

Itadaki Street? Not for English

DQM? Eh, maybe in the distant future...

The 35th anniversary is this year and they are planning to make announcements closer to the anniversary date. We’ll see if more spin offs are on the way and if they will be mobile only in a few months.

It seems a trend for DQ spin-offs that aren’t the Monsters related games (and Itadaki Street games too I suppose) to stop happening after a few entries.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I doubt mobile-only is going to be the way forward... But it would make sense, wouldn't it? Has the biggest user base. Efficient distribution method. Easy enough to develop for...

• Upvote 1

Has anyone else taken a look at the current landscape and noticed that movie/TV tie-in games have been basically eradicated? Sure over the last couple weeks we’ve gotten announcements for a James Bond game, an Indiana Jones game, and a Harry Potter game will come out in 2022, but those are major brands, with no real release timeline goal (such as making sure it comes out alongside or just before a movie hits theaters). I’m talking things like, say, Captain America movie games or Toy Story games. Tron, James Cameron’s Avatar, King Kong, etc. Games that only exist because they are products to sell alongside another product.

Why make one of these games in an era where that is becoming increasingly more expensive and requiring a longer development time, especially when you can make a simplistic phone game with constant updates to ensure engagement. That’s why we have Simpsons: Tapped Out, a bunch of Star Wars and Avengers free-to-pay phone games.

We will continue to see many cheap phone games, but for a franchise that originated as a game, we will either continue to see spin-off games on consoles or none at all.

• Like 1

That'd be without counting on Horri's latest interview. It seems like he'd like to renew the VR experience. 

With Dragon Quest VR (the game in Japan where you fight Zoma) already existing, and the DQ Island thing, I'm sure they will come up with new ideas. Like DQ Sword-like games would work well in VR I guess. 

As for spin-offs, we know there will be at least one The Quest of Daï game on console. Which console one can only hazard a guess, hopefully all of them + PC. But I'm sure we will see more games being announced on console too. 

DQM4 (with Erik and Mia), I can't see it being launched anywhere else than on a console. Just like I can't imagine a Heroes III or a Builders 3 not being in development. 

All mobile?  No. A marriage of both?  More probable.  Look at The Adventure of Dai.  They are doing an arcade machine, a console game, and a mobile game.  Mobile games are still mostly casual affairs.  They'll still continue to do deeper console games.  Pokemon Go didn't kill off releasing console Pokemon games.  The Monsters series didn't stop after DQMSL came out.  It's "super light" for a reason.  People will still want the regular experience.  We haven't seen any news lately on the latest DQM game because they ran into some development issues and COVID has kicked most everything down the road a ways.   It even stopped progress with the global DQotS crew for a month or so.  

• Upvote 1

I think it’s going to be a mix of both.  Mobile is too big to pass up so there’s also going to be a focus there.  I wish they would go with more paid apps though.  After sinking God knows how much money into Final Fantasy Record Keepers and Dragon Age Heroes (pretty sure that was the time) I have completely sworn off “gacha” games.  They are just too shallow of an experience and a waste of money.  I’ll gladly pay $20-30 for high quality ports/remakes with none of that mobile garbage in it but getting back on topic...

I don’t think we have anything to worry about when it comes to spin-offs on traditional consoles.  The Switch is basically guaranteed more DQ games based off its massive sales success alone.  I don’t know if PlayStation and PC are really that important going forward.  I would hope so because I like better graphics and frame rates over portability but I wouldn’t blame SE if the Switch became the main DQ platform.  

We are supposed to be getting DQ announcements this year to celebrate its 35th anniversary so I would expect to hear of some new spin-offs soon.  I don’t know if we will get another Heroes or Builders game though.  At the very least we are do a new Monsters game and I think the Switch is the perfect platform for that.  Heck I’d be happy if they just ported all the 3DS games over to the Switch since they would be new to us.  

• Upvote 1

I sure hope not. In the aftermath of a fairly decent run of XI, I think a Monsters release would do great on Switch.

Hell, I’d replay the originals and Joker on switch if I could.

I know nothing about software so I have no idea what the expense of porting a game is.

I don't MIND them doing mobile releases, as long as we get better full fledged titles and spinoffs being made. Just kind of wish that we had a full tactics game like Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest Wars was probably the worst DQ game I played. Dragon Quest Tact is nice, but it still lacks the depth that I am looking for.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

If there's a DQ tactics game, it would be cool if it played like one of the Rance games

There is a DQ tactics game that just came out actually. It’s called Dragon Quest Tact and it’s available for the west on mobile devices.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There is a DQ tactics game that just came out actually. It’s called Dragon Quest Tact and it’s available for the west on mobile devices.

Tact seems to play more akin to Fire Emblem/Devil Survivor, which are games that I love, but are definitely not like Sengoku/Kichikuou Rance. The latter games are about conquering land on a world map via skirmishes that use more conventional turn based battles when it's your turn. If you win the fight, the piece of enemy territory is yours. When it's the enemy army/armies turn(s) then you are forced to do, as you expect, skirmishes. However when it's the enemy turn you fight to defend your own territories. If you lose or choose not to fight, then you lose the piece of land the enemy was trying to invade.

• Like 1