I've guested on a Q&A Podcast for a few years now, every other month, every few months or so.  We even did a DQ Slime Time/Q &A Quest crossover episode a couple months back.  That podcast has been fueled by 1 super RPG fan for the past 6 months who dumped 50 questions on them, and will spend all 2021 answering another 100 he provided.  After my last appearance, he's sent 15 DQ ones for me to answer next time I go on.  Thought I'd post them here for some group-think!

1. Do you see the Zenithian trilogy get the DQ11 treatment a.k.a prequel or sequel?
2. Which DQ is the most popular in Japan? Is it 3 or 5?
3. With DQ 11 gaining more traction than the previous titles, do you think the spin-off games would be more popular in the West from now on?
4. As a fan of both DQ 5 and Phantasy Star III, I'd like to hear your opinion about the marriage systems in both games, particularly which one where choosing who to marry feels more important?
5. If SE decided to make Joker 4, which quality-of-life features from other monster collecting games you would like to be included?
6. In your opinion, is there anything as a "DQ sound"? And does SE have a house band?
7. How much is the Japanese people's perception of DQ colored by The Adventure of Dai? And have the games been influenced by it?
8. Which heroines in DQ 5 is the most popular, and which on the least?
9. Which little quirky recurrent thing in DQ that you love?
10. Do you know any JRPG so weird that it's definitely not influenced by DQ?
11. How slim is the chance for a new Mystery Dungeon to be made?
13. There is a Legend of Zelda-inspired cookbook. If anyone decides to make a DQ-inspired cookbook, which recipes would be included in it?
14. How many people have actually played Kenshin? Do you think it's something worth preserved alongside Swords?
15. The worst mistranslation in DQ history? And the most hilarious one?

1. Actually, I'd not prefer that. I'm fine with them being their own thing, and 12 going its own way. We don't need to have interconnectivity ALL the time.  It was a nice surprise for 11 to have connections, but going forward it looses some of the specialness if every single game is connected to others like that.  Let's have more standalones or another loosely-based "trilogies". I put that in quotes because Yuji Horii has specifically mentioned that 4-6 was not a trilogy, more just 3 games with some same things in it.

4. Dragon quest is mainly for show. Where do your emotions take you? What pixelized boob size do you prefer? What color hair do you want your kids to have?  Whereas Phantasy Star 3 had some big stat & ability changes. Due to the pick in the first generation, your 2nd generation protagonist could have the ability to cast magic spells or not.  In the third generation you can actually spawn twin protagonists if you court the right marriage option. The ending has 4 different kids that you could end with, all with slightly different endings, so it actually plays a part more than DQ.

11. Sheets of paper thin. Maybe cardstock instead of notebook paper, but it's real thin. They found more of a market for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and even that's not exactly been coming out regularly for a long time.

Edited by Plattym3
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I've guested on a Q&A Podcast for a few years now, every other month, every few months or so.  We even did a DQ Slime Time/Q &A Quest crossover episode a couple months back.  That podcast has been fueled by 1 super RPG fan for the past 6 months who dumped 50 questions on them, and will spend all 2021 answering another 100 he provided.  After my last appearance, he's sent 15 DQ ones for me to answer next time I go on.  Thought I'd post them here for some group-think!

1. Do you see the Zenithian trilogy get the DQ11 treatment a.k.a prequel or sequel?
3. With DQ 11 gaining more traction than the previous titles, do you think the spin-off games would be more popular in the West from now on?
4. As a fan of both DQ 5 and Phantasy Star III, I'd like to hear your opinion about the marriage systems in both games, particularly which one where choosing who to marry feels more important?
5. If SE decided to make Joker 4, which quality-of-life features from other monster collecting games you would like to be included?
6. In your opinion, is there anything as a "DQ sound"? And does SE have a house band?
7. How much is the Japanese people's perception of DQ colored by The Adventure of Dai? And have the games been influenced by it?
13. There is a Legend of Zelda-inspired cookbook. If anyone decides to make a DQ-inspired cookbook, which recipes would be included in it?
14. How many people have actually played Kenshin? Do you think it's something worth preserved alongside Swords?

1. No idea if it would happen. It would be a good twist.

2. Seems impossible to answer. Both are the only games that get tie-in manga.

3. Maybe.

4. I heard Phantasy Star III is awful lol.

8. I'm not far enough in the game to figure that out.

9. P  U  F  F  P  U  F  F

11. No idea.

13. Slime themed pastries like jelly slimes or something.

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

1. To be honest, the Zenithia games are only barely connected to each other (6 moreso than 5/4).  So... not really.

2. I'm gonna guess 3, if we're going off historical impact....  But as a not-Japanese person, I don't really think it's my place to speak for them.

3. I hope so, but SE's gonna actually have to bring them over if they want that to happen.  They've been mostly good about this recently outside DQM and the switch version of Heroes though, as far as I can tell.

4. I haven't played Phantasy Star III, but in DQ5 I wish Nera and Debora got a bit more screentime before the choice.  Maybe their own childhood adventures or something.  I also wish I could have dude love interest buuuuuuuut I can understand why they didn't for plot reasons...

5. I haven't actually played DQMJ 1-3, so can't say. 

6. Recruitment jingle and Level up jingle?

7. Again, don't really think it's my place to say.

8. Bianca's probably the most, and I say this as a Nera fan.  Can't really say for the least.  

9. Having a class that does nothing but randomly goof around.  Even if I never seriously use it, it's still extremely funny.

10. Tbh I'm not sure how we're defining weird.

11. Not SE and therefore can't say.  

12. [error: question not found 😛]

13. Maybe those slime cookies from Builders.

14. I haven't, and no idea.

15. No idea.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
RIP BBCode, I will miss using you.
1 hour ago, Ice Dragon 19 said:

As for the 2nd question it was 3 that was so popular they had to limit all DQ game releases on a Sunday (or at least a non school day i suppose) Not sure how popular 5 was in comparison.  

"Had to" not exactly. https://nintendosoup.com/square-enix-confirms-myth-behind-releasing-new-dragon-quests-games-on-saturdays/#:~:text=Dragon Quest XI producer Yuu,police did complain about it.&text=When Dragon Quest III came,to go buy the game. They mainly did it as a courtesy. As for the 3 vs. 5 comparisons, they're hard to make a big split between.  At one point, DQIX took the top spot, but more updated information ??? says that both 3 and 5 are the only ones over 6 million. 5 got a movie, 3 got some DQ 11 love, so it's hard to split hairs there.  If DQ9 gets that hoped-for Switch port, it'd likely go back to the top of the list.  As far as Horii, he's always loved 5 best.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

12. [error: question not found 😛]

That's hilarious, I didn't even notice. I just messaged the guy who sent them to see if he had one and forgot to type it in.

1. To be honest, the Zenithia games are only barely connected to each other (6 moreso than 5/4).  So... not really

I couldn't find it today, but I know we've brought it up on Slime Time and there is a quote out there from Horii saying they weren't made as a trilogy, just had some common features. Everything else is fan headcanon.
16 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

1. No, and I don’t think it really needs to be one or the other. The Act 3 ending of DQ11 just seemed more like a fun nod to the series as a whole.

2. Dragon Quest 3. I’ve seen more references to it from Japanese related media than any other DQ game, and within the DQ series it’s the most referenced too. That game is THE nostalgia RPG for Japan in my opinion.

3. It’s hard to say. I think stuff like Builders has struck a chord with people thanks to the building aspects and the writing, but I could see some spin-offs like the Monsters games getting noses turned up to them because people would write them off as Pokémon rip offs or something. Too many folks seem keen to do that for any monster related RPG.

4. I’m indifferent on the marriage system in 5. It’s a nice change of pace, but I’ve the game enough to marry all three brides and didn’t notice that huge of a difference of what they bring to the party outside of their party chat and some of their equipment options. I think 5 is a little too heavy handed with wanting you to choose Bianca.

5. Being able to summon back monsters you’ve already tamed/had before. I don’t know why more monster RPGs don’t have that kind of system. Shin Megami Tensei games have had that for years and it works great in those games. The cost is using in game money, but it’s a fair trade off.

6. I don’t understand the question, so I’m going to interpret it meaning music style. To me Dragon Quest music is at its best when it’s classic orchestral sounding. That’s the style I enjoy from the series since it does give it a classical feel and makes revisiting entries fun.

7. No comment. I know nothing about Dai.

8. Bianca, followed by Nera. Personally I don’t have a preference amongst the 3, but Bianca is definitely the most popular of the trio.

9. Finding mini medals throughout the world. It makes exploring towns and dungeons fun when you find a medal hidden somewhere.

10. Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey.

11. Seems unlikely at this point.

12. There is no question 12 so I’m just going to type in some random stuff here hahaha why are you still reading this you weirdo?

13. Slime Soufflé and DragonLord fondue.

14. Kenshin? The old plug in and play game where it’s based in DQ1’s world? I mean, I don’t see why it couldn’t be. Might be hard to play it nowadays due to CRTVs not being common.

15. I can’t think of anything for worst translation from the games I’ve played. Funniest to me would be the Brollygagger enemy name from DQ11 only because once I realized what the name was supposed to be a pun of I facepalmed hard. It’s the one time a DQ pun got to me.

• Like 1

I see that as a possibility.  It is something they could do with 12 and focus on that trilogy.  

While it is true that Your Story used 5 as its focus, I believe that's only because 5 has a stronger and deeper narrative than 3 does.  3 was a true sales phenomenon when first came out in Japan.  While 1 and 2 were still really popular, 3 blew everything out of the water and solidified Dragon Quest as the most popular video game in Japan.  That's while you'll see 3 as major elements of special events they'll do.  This includes the Universal Studios attraction they did, the stage show, and the current virtual reality game exclusive to a virtual reality game park in Tokyo.  It's also why you'll see many special edition items and merchandise use the Erdrick (Roto) symbology like that special edition PS4 they did a while back.    

Yes.  I believe so.  Not only has Square Enix tried to generate more interest in spin-offs like DQH and Builders, they are starting to see if DQ gacha games can gain traction here.  We already have DQotS and soon we'll also have Tact.  I hope this continues.  The 3DS was a dark era for not getting DQ games until fan outcry brought us VII and then VIII.  I don't want to go through that again.  I hope we get the next Monsters sequel being developed now as well.  

I haven't gotten to Phantasy Star III yet so I don't know.  I do really like the marriage system in 5 though.  I think Nera (Flora) could have been fleshed out more.  The game developers realized this and that's why she shows up in all the remakes earlier in the game than usual to at least establish she exists earlier on.  There's a heavy focus on Bianca being the cannon choice.  It's still fun to choose though, especially with Debora being added in later remakes.        

I'm not a huge fan of the Monsters series or monster collecting games in general so I don't know.  I still wish we get the upcoming Monsters sequel for the fans that do love the series.  

Yes.  Absolutely.  That's why the original sound effects have carried over to this day.  Almost any DQ project is going to include iconic sounds or musical cues like the cursed object cue, the stairs sounds effect, the level up sound cue, spell sound effects, etc.  The house band is Koichi Sugiyama.  I expect a similar style of music to be used after he passes.  It's extremely popular in Japan.  He was a proper composer before taking on DQ and he, in effect, legitimized video game music in Japan.  He was the first one to hold a video game concert in the world.  And even to this day there is no other video game series that has as many live video game concerts for people to attend as DQ does.      

I'm not sure on this.  I know it's certainly popular or we wouldn't have the remake anime series airing now.  Even well before the remake was announced, Dai would still show up in places like special events in DQotS.  I've heard from some of the hardcore fans that some elements showed up in later games but I don't remember what they were specifically.  

I think Bianca might based off her character development but I've seen a lot of people start going for Debora.  I think I want to do a poll over at Dragon Questers now.  We've had plenty of topics debating everyone's favorite waifu but I don't remember anyone ever doing a proper poll about it.  I think Nera (Flora) might be the least popular because there isn't much to her character.  That's why I was glad to see the character development she got in Your Story.    

I love the special effect noises that show up in every DQ game.  It's fun to always hear those.  

I think just about every turn based RPG has at least some influence from the DQ formula.  Maybe something like the first Parasite Eve?  That game is definitely not doing much of anything similar to DQ in battle, its modern day setting, or any of its mechanics.  

They still produce those games but with other properties involved.  There hasn't been a DQ themed one since Young Yangus in 2006 but I could see them coming back around to a DQ themed one in the future.  

I believe if they ever did that they would look to what's already been done at various DQ cafes.  There's also a whole line of DQ inspired food items that are used in DQotS.  Everything from slime themed rice cakes to fries.    

Over 500,000 of those units were sold in Japan, so a lot.  It's popularity is why Swords exists.  It very much belongs to be preserved along with Swords.  

I would say the worst mistranslation in DQ history are the spell names.  A lot of the names like hoimi are unique and I feel we miss out no this lore of the game by using something common like the name heal.  

Hilarious mistranslation?  I'm not sure.  I don't know of any spoony bards in DQ games.  

On a side note, what happened to question 12?  

• Like 2
On 1/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, Plattym3 said:

I couldn't find it today, but I know we've brought it up on Slime Time and there is a quote out there from Horii saying they weren't made as a trilogy, just had some common features. Everything else is fan headcanon.

I forget the exact circumstances you are right that they didn't initially intend to come up with a straight up trilogy like they did with 1-3.  That's why the connections are so much more loosely tied together.  But they did end up tying it all together in VI with it's ending and the post game.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pendy said:

The way I see it, XI is already a prequel to the Zenithian trilogy. 

However, I wouldn't mind having a new installment in this one. It feels like the Erdrick saga gets all the love which is kinda unfair. I get that it's the first trilogy, the first games etc, but at some point seeing a brand new game not connected to any previous games would be nice. 

This is why I wish I had played Swords. It seemed so fresh, both in the artstyle, gameplay, music and ambience as a whole. 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, Plattym3 said:

I thought SE said they wouldn't make one, that the trilogy (quintulogy if you count the Professional versions) was completed... It certainly felt like that at the end of J3P anyway. 

And honestly, J3P was already so perfect, I don't see what else they could do. 

All I want now regarding the Monsters spin-offs, is either a Caravan Heart remake, or a Monster Parade port. 👌🏻

On 1/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, Plattym3 said:

No idea, but I certainly wouldn't mind playing one. The Torneko ones were nice, the Yangus one looked super cool too. I guess there's still improvements to be made to the franchise, and I'm sure a Erik/Mia/Derek could be a good new trio for future spin-offs tbh. 

There's gotta be a better way to format this. Apologies for wall of text.

No, I think that 11 had enough references and homages to the whole series that it's not necessary to retread in 12.

3 consistently tops polls over there.

No, they're different levels of quality and don't have the same level of polish as the main games. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Haven't played PS3, to call it a system is probably a stretch in DQ5. Never factored into too much for me beyond story.

Can't comment on this.

The music is consistency composed by the same guy, arrangements differ. There are in-house groups but none related to DQ as far as I know.

Dai came out as DQ4 was coming out so its style is much more in line with those earlier games. I don't know if it's hard an influence beyond superficial references.

Bianca is most popular. Assume Deborah is least because she's newest.

Opening a coffin to take out items when transferring from dead party members. Banging head off ceiling when zooming.

I don't know what this means.

Shiren 5 just came out on Switch.

Don't know. Fried Dracky.

Why not it's novel.

No idea, I don't tend to focus in on this stuff.

On a side note, what happened to question 12?  

Apparently things got moved around and the questioner forgot to renumber!

spacer.png

I mean, it's always kind of... there. And VI was pretty much the prequel. I just never found the lore of that series as compelling as the rest, It's just kinda a place you go.

It's sort of apples to oranges. III was what made the series a household name. V struck a chord with it's evolved storytelling.

Aren't they supposed to be making a new DQM with Erik? So probably.

I've never played Phantasy Star. PSO looked interesting back in, what? 2000?

No more double prompts. I don't need to say 'yes' twice. I don't want to confirm my commands after putting them in. Just make it like the main series. And change the chime.

Square Enix likely contracts their musicians. Most companies do outside of first party titles. As far as sound, I'd say familiar music with familiar sounds.

Haven't been keeping up on this. I've always seen Dai as more of a Jump creation. Like, not real Dragon Quest. Like that pack of knock-off figures featuring Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, a Power Ranger, Lightening McQueen, and Shrek. Names like "Xross Blade" and "Infinity Strash?"

spacer.png

Debora, it seems. Nobody likes Flora.

It's just... an overall solid all-around game. That's rare these days. The creators don't even call fans Nazis on Twitter!

Hm, yes. It's even an Enix game. 7th Saga. It goes in its own direction by being no fun at all.

They're always making those things, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Surprised there's not one already. You can probably find some dojin and only most of it would be porn. Probably all the recipes from Luidia's Bar.

I'd love to give it a try. Swords was a ton o'fun. Apparently Kenshin doesn't work well on modern TVs.

Hm. Can't really throw any under the bus. DQ VII maybe, because it had a few typos, but they were working with a lot of text and limitations.

I wouldn’t mind if it did or didn’t, but I could certainly see it happening since they were clearly into the idea of parallel universes and reaching into DW roots.

My guess would be 5, since they made a movie about it and it was on Netflix.

Yes. 

N/A for me

Being able to store and summon monsters in the field, at some cost.

You mean like the recognizable symphony? Yes.

I know nothing of this.

Most - Bianca, Least - Deborah. But that’s a total opinion.

The slimes and the tongue-in-cheek humor

Not sure how to answer this so I’ll pass.

Very slim. But I’d play it for sure.

I don’t think there’s enough food-talk in DQ to really get into this. Again, total opinion here.

No idea, I haven’t. 

I don’t usually catch the mistranslations, or at least focus on them enough to remember. 
Excuse my curt answers here. I’m a big DQ fan, but I guess I don’t focus on the details enough to be too opinionated...

Edited by cprmauldin

@cprmauldinyou need to fix your text color man. It’s hard to read your post.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:07 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@cprmauldinyou need to fix your text color man. It’s hard to read your post.

Dang you're right! That was a messy post. Still is, but I cleaned it up a bit. 

That's what I get for pasting from the notepad app on my phone. 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:02 AM, Plattym3 said:

Possible? But I doubt they would bother for another decade or so.

I would go with 3. 3 is what put the game solidly on the map in Japan. I get the feeling 5 is popular, but not necessarily any more popular than 4 in Japan either. DQ3 created the image of a fantasy world that exists in Japan and is featured in all of those Isekai stories coming out these days.

I haven't been following the success of DQ11 in the West much. I get the feeling it is doing a bit better than past games, and having a PC version probably doesn't hurt that, but at the same time I don't feel like DQ is really making much inroads into the general audiences. Smash might have done more for DQ than 11 for all I know. The popularity of 11 hasn't done any favors for Dai it seems, with very little conversation happening around it even among DQ fandom. Does not inspire me to hope that spin-off games will do well here either.

Never played any Phantasy Star so no comment.

It has been a while since I played a Monsters game so the only thing I can think of is having the "Monster bank" allow me to have enough room for one of each monster at least. I don't like having to fuse just to make space.

The sound effects and the Sugiyama music are all basically DQ sound. There can certainly be other music like Swords and the new Dai anime, but when people think of DQ they normally hear those sounds. If band then you could call the Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra their band? Not that they own them. I feel that maybe this question isn't that clear in what it is asking.

Their perception isn't colored by it much at all I would think. There are plenty of DQ fans that have never read the manga of seen the anime. At the time that the manga was in serialization it was often over shadowed by the Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk. But the games have been influenced by it in quite a number of notable ways. Many of the unique skills and spells from Dai have made it to the games, such as Beton (Donk). I have also heard people suggest that they creation of skills in DQ6 was heavily influenced by the large number of sword skills etc from Dai. Certainly there were a few skills that seemed to have come from the manga in it. I also think though that when talking about manga and their influence on the games that the works of Osamu Kaneko should be brought up. I doubt that the Slime Mori Mori series would have existed without Kaneko's previous works creating the comical and air-headed slime protagonist.

Where? Personally I felt Deborah was a great addition and the best choice. Obviously though people who haven't played the DS version would not know and love her though so she could easily be least by lack of recognition alone.

I would have to give this more thought. I do like the mundane conversations with townspeople a lot though. Or talking to dogs.

I don't dabble much in non-DQ games so I cannot comment on this. To have no influence from DQ I could only imagine it would have to be a pre-DQ PC game of some sort.

I could see it happening again. Maybe cell phone next time?

Definitely a Luida's Bar cook book. I still need to get myself a Slime pancake pan.

Yes I have played. Really had a great time. I would put it above Swords myself. I don't think Swords did anything new compared to Kenshin.

I try not to keep those pent up in my mind too long so I don't know what the worst is. While not exactly wrong, in episode 16 of Dai, translating Puff Puff to Motor boarding was rather....something... I think they unintentionally made the line even more sexual that way.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...