Hey everyone, I'm Snakek. Long time DQ fan, I've been lurking threads here for years now but never had much to post so I'm only joining now.
I'm an electrical engineering student and I love retro computing. I'd like to contribute to the community with studying and hacking the games.
Nice to meet you all!

• Like 3

Welcome to the Den, hope you enjoy it here with us :)

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Snakek said:

Hey everyone, I'm Snakek. Long time DQ fan, I've been lurking threads here for years now but never had much to post so I'm only joining now.
I'm an electrical engineering student and I love retro computing. I'd like to contribute to the community with studying and hacking the games.
Nice to meet you all!

Nice to see a retro gamer (I assume retro computing includes gaming).

I still play SNES, GBC, GBA, and DS games.

I also play Flash games post-Flashpocalypse, and occasionally a Shockwave game on Neopets.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

And yes Wes, it does. I use "computing" as a broad term since that refers to multiple aspects of the technology.
Man neopets brings me back. I used to play it when I was a little kid.
It's a shame flash is dying out the way it is, because even if it is dated, people need to realize there's more to tech than current applications. There's a world of internet and game development history within flash games and we really really need to preserve them. There's already some very interesting projects on flash emulation out there ( https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle ) and hopefully more people will submit flash software to the internet archive now that chrome's finally ditched flash.

1 hour ago, Snakek said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

And yes Wes, it does. I use "computing" as a broad term since that refers to multiple aspects of the technology.
Man neopets brings me back. I used to play it when I was a little kid.

Yeah, its a mess over there. The help board gets several topics a day saying "None of the games work! What do I do?????" I currently have to tell my computer its not January 12th yet, play the Flash games, then change my clock back. They've converted 7 games so far, and they're all buggy. Not sure how many people will actually quit over their debacle.

I'm a hoarder, so I hold on to old games long after most people move on. But it gets harder with each passing year. I can run DosBox to play One Must Fall, but I'm not savvy enough to get Castle of the Winds to work, because its a lot more hoops to jump through (its technically a 16-bit Microsoft application).

Anyway, I would claim to be the weird one at Dragon's Den, but I'm afraid other's would claim the title instead. But I do hope you enjoy it here. We have network administrators, old school gamers, modern tech wizards, and every other type of nerd you can think of... and occasionally there's even a normal person!

• Like 1