What could Dragon Quest XII/Dragon Quest 12 be like?

Well it sounded like the choices could affect the storyline, so maybe there will be a good vs evil path you can take, or who live/dies could be lots of things really :)

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Woodus said:

Well it sounded like the choices could affect the storyline, so maybe there will be a good vs evil path you can take, or who live/dies could be lots of things really :)

We’ll have to choose whether to light the First Flame or let it burn out...

Spoiler

I’m having too much fun with all the Dark Souls related jokes for DQ12.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

What do you guys think the combat will be like? I heard it will have changes.

Hopefully; the Combat will be Streamlined and you can spend less time scrolling through Menus to choose your battle actions; for those who want a more streamlined & quicker Battle; or for those who WANT A Tradtional DQ Gameplay Experience; they have that option open for them. . .

Hopefully the developers will make Smarter A.I. for the Party Members; so that they make the Correct decisions in Battle; And make the most logical choices. . . for Crying out loud; It's SUPPOSED to be Artificial Intellegence, NOT Artificial Stupidity!!

Hopefully Once you're at a Certain Level; Underleveled Enemies whenever you return to a previous Area Will be Instantly KOed on the overworld similar to How Ness could instantly KO Underleveled Enemies on the Overworld In Earthbound, Not Wasting any time in a battle sequence when you'd just defeat them in the first move; I REALLY Want to see THAT implemented in a Dragon Quest game. . . P.S. I Want this to ALSO happen while the player is walking on Foot, and NOT Just when Riding a Horse;

I Also Hope to See the return of the Ability to Recruit Monsters; and even have them walking as party members on the 3D Overworld Map. . . 

And While this MAY be a Pipe Dream; I'd Love to see 12(aka The Protagonist of DQXII) be able to choose which class they want to be; as well as Choose Which Weapon style they want to use; Like Choosing a Sword & Shield; a Spear, a 2-Handed Sword, or Dual-Wielding Swords, whether Knives, or Swords;

But wouldn't that be more of a Western RPG(Greater focus on Single Character Customization) than JRPG(Focus on the Story, Multiple Party members, etc)?!

If possible I'd love if they keep everything from DQ XI, who was a perfect game in itself : Pep powers, mounts, updated crafting, ...

But there's some thing I would like them to had/not had to DQ XII assuming they have the same base as DQ XI :

- True Symphonic suit, not in some DQ XII X.

- Ability to tame monsters like in DQ V/VIII

- Jobs like in DQ VII (which i prefer over the DQ IX system).

- No random companions like DQ III or IX.

- Be a long game like DQ XI or VIII.

- Estark

- A better system to farm seeds, please, I spent one and a half day farming seeds or strength for that Timewyrm #$*!

• Like 2
What do you guys think the combat will be like? I heard it will have changes.
I don't think it'll change much at all. They made a big deal about it, but I believe it'll be as incremental as the differences between 9 & 11.

I do like all these!
  • Like 1

Hopefully the developers will make Smarter A.I. for the Party Members; so that they make the Correct decisions in Battle; And make the most logical choices. . . for Crying out loud; It's SUPPOSED to be Artificial Intellegence, NOT Artificial Stupidity!!

I've actually never felt DQ AI to be an issue. What's sucked for you?

I'm actually quite a fan of it. I never really recall Cristo having issues in DWIV. He was always in my party in all my playthroughs on the NES and he never cast Thwack like everyone jokes he did. Maybe I just used the AI different, but he'd be Oomphing and Healing and Attacking like a perfect paladin. I've really only taken issue with Mages blowing their MP quickly through the years.
18 hours ago, Yross said:

If possible I'd love if they keep everything from DQ XI, who was a perfect game in itself : Pep powers, mounts, updated crafting, ...

But there's some thing I would like them to had/not had to DQ XII assuming they have the same base as DQ XI :

- True Symphonic suit, not in some DQ XII X.

- Estark

- A better system to farm seeds, please, I spent one and a half day farming seeds or strength for that Timewyrm #$*!

I’d absolutely love the return of the Job system, which I think VII nailed the best, though IX was also pretty damn good.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I’d absolutely love the return of the Job system, which I think VII nailed the best, though IX was also pretty damn good.

This has been my biggest wish for DQXII. I had A LOT of fun with Draconic on XI. But if they combined Draconic WITH a class system? I will probably be replaying the game until the end of time at that point.

• Like 2
This has been my biggest wish for DQXII. I had A LOT of fun with Draconic on XI. But if they combined Draconic WITH a class system? I will probably be replaying the game until the end of time at that point.
I don't use the Draconic stuff at all, but glad it's there as a lot of people like to. A difficulty slider is pretty standard in a lot of. RPGs I play, but this works just as well for DQ!
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Yup, the job system allowed and ENCOURAGES replays of the game. Hell I’ll most likely be playing the long ass DQ VII within the next couple years for a third time. Why? Because the experience can be totally different with a different crew. 

• Like 3

A lot of interesting ideas here. I think a morality system is bad for DQ. So many games have one, they're rarely implemented in interesting ways, and to be honest, there's too much evil being glorified today. Dragon Quest is like a lighthouse in a sea of storms. The same comparison can be applied to its gameplay, too. Anyway here are my ideas

• Return to tension system, or a hybrid pep/tension system, or preferably, no tension/pep and just standard combat. I don't trust the pep system to be interesting or consistent; the only way of having control over it is weakening its power, which makes it boring. Maybe a tension system that, at 100, allows you to choose a pep power. Preferably, no layered combat would be okay with me, too. There are 7 main games without one, and they're arguably better than newer ones.
  • LESS quality of life. Inns are useless in XI, town shops are useless because of crafting, healing is ridiculously ubiquitous, and the solution to this was an imbalanced difficulty option. Instead, the game should remove all the extra items, extra crafting systems (or just retain the original VIII alchemy pot), pink story dots, and draconian settings. The games should be playtested correctly and balanced properly so that both casuals and minmaxers can enjoy it; you know, like just about every other single Dragon Quest until now. Some tend to be more or less "easy" in certain spots, because balance can never be perfect, but I just hope XII is a return to tradition while adding a few extra things here and there. The games have been far too radical since VII for me. Oh yeah, speeding up battles artificially (a button) seems weird. I'd rather have the animations cut down entirely, or a choice to remove watching characters attack (just a front-facing battle).
  • More monster variety. There are 100s and 100s of unique monsters in the series and it seems a shame there isn't more variety. Color variations are a staple of JRPGs but what gets me are the "dark" versions, like with red, then green, eyes. It feels very effortless and sad when there are tons of monsters to bring back. I have the same issue in Pokemon. There's no reason to just conveniently "forget" about 500 of your creations.
  • As has been said, monster recruiting plus a monster arena. I really miss them. I'm not sure how many should be allowed, roster size, etc. It would be nice to have a vocation that can tame monsters, maybe even some bosses. I doubt it could be implemented in one game, but monster breeding would be great.
  • A job system plus unique characters. Characters should have their own unique level-based skills/spells etc with a job system on top of it. I'm not a huge fan of skill trees but if they bring them back, like in XI, it could be like FFX or Path of Exile, where characters start in different places and can reach where you want them to go.
  • A portal/key system like the first Monsters games. This would be XII's alternative to Tickington. Randomly generated worlds, 2D or 3D depending on how you're playing, with at least one village+one dungeon and a boss at the end. This could double as a way of finding infinite Mini Medals, seeds, rare alchemy ingredients, etc. Combined with the monster recruiting/arena, this is practically a double feature of a main DQ with a monsters game. Asking for too much? Probably.
  • Open world. Not in the ugly way most games do it, with nothing to do, just expansive nothingness, but like the first DQ where you're simply allowed to take a wrong turn and die. No guards blocking a path, early access to a ship, etc. It would be fun to do a death run into a sequence broken town just so I can buy a crazy powerful weapon early. Games that allow breaking, like FFI, II, VIII, and XII are some of my favorites. Even if you don't purposefully break them, wouldn't it be nice to go all the way to Gondolia before entering Heliodor? Get the ship before getting Rab and Jade? Or in VIII, imagine having access to Trodain from the very beginning! There is something about seeing a crazy, powerful monsters early on that just motivates me.
  • No voice acting, less cut scenes, no 3D mixed with 2D. A return to normalcy, a return to sanity, a return to tradition. No fancy UI. Allow customized party members but give them dialogue and personality anyway. To be really ambitious, implement a personality system like in III and have a entirely different dialogue and party chat based on this. So Party Member 3, who is levelling as a Martial Artist, let's say, has unique dialogue if they test (through a questionnaire) as Aloof. Personality should be permanent and have stat growth effects, albeit minimal in comparison to vocation/job. This would require thousands of unique dialogue options. Now this isn't possible but it would be if Party Member 3's dialogue was mostly the same but their vocation and personality had some influences on reactions, not full rewrites. At the VERY least, I just want personalities back.
  • No more accents, return to Middle English and DW spellings. If you like the new accents and stuff, that's cool, but I don't. If accents are to remain, they should be based on obscure, archaic spellings that haven't been used since 1500 in Moray, or something. Either no accents or double down hard on them and make them 70-80% indecipherable to modern English speakers. For ambition's sake, translate various regions into mutually unintelligible European languages like Basque and Polish and Icelandic and Welsh.
  • No more overworld encounters, please! Bring back random encounters. I want to Whistle again. The ocean was a breath of fresh air in XI. The game can't be balanced in difficulty when players have the ability to skip all encounters. You have to target the lowest common denominators, the people who rush the story, which makes it too easy, hence being forced to add a difficulty option when none of this has been necessary before.

I don't think most of the things I want are realistically going to happen. Probably a doubling down on quality of life, a story mode that bans death, badly tuned difficulty options, a huge dress-up simulator with loads of costly DLC to milk you, connectivity to some mobile phone game for exlcusive items, a million remasters that are version exclusive to trick you into buying a dozen copies, and I don't know, I don't want to think about it. I have no faith in the games now. If Sugiyama is leaving, I'm definitely not playing it. If Toriyama is officially retired and leasing his "style" out, I'm done. I have a feeling the success of XI in the west is a terrible, terrible thing, a double-edged sword. This is likely the worst timeline, where we will forever get translated DQ games but now they're all bad. Monkey's paw...

• Like 2

• More monster variety. There are 100s and 100s of unique monsters in the series and it seems a shame there isn't more variety. Color variations are a staple of JRPGs but what gets me are the "dark" versions, like with red, then green, eyes. It feels very effortless and sad when there are tons of monsters to bring back. I have the same issue in Pokemon. There's no reason to just conveniently "forget" about 500 of your creations.
  • As has been said, monster recruiting plus a monster arena. I really miss them. I'm not sure how many should be allowed, roster size, etc. It would be nice to have a vocation that can tame monsters, maybe even some bosses. I doubt it could be implemented in one game, but monster breeding would be great.
  • A portal/key system like the first Monsters games. This would be XII's alternative to Tickington. Randomly generated worlds, 2D or 3D depending on how you're playing, with at least one village+one dungeon and a boss at the end. This could double as a way of finding infinite Mini Medals, seeds, rare alchemy ingredients, etc. Combined with the monster recruiting/arena, this is practically a double feature of a main DQ with a monsters game. Asking for too much? Probably.

• I'm really in favor of these.

There are SOOOOOOO many monsters left alone in DQM games that they could bring over. Especially if this is being developed alongside a new DQM game, you'd get double-duty out of all those 3D monster models.

Breeding would be great. An awesome combination system likely won't happen as it'll be too DQM, but something to do with the monsters you collect would be perfect.

And finally, I'm a sucker for running tons of random content in DQ games. Did tons of key worlds in DQM2, lots of grottos, lots of whatever that thing was in DQ7 3DS. Bring it on!
    Posted (edited)
    22 hours ago, Cetus said:

Probably a doubling down on quality of life, a story mode that bans death, badly tuned difficulty options, a huge dress-up simulator with loads of costly DLC to milk you, connectivity to some mobile phone game for exlcusive items, a million remasters that are version exclusive to trick you into buying a dozen copies, and I don't know, I don't want to think about it. I have no faith in the games now. If Sugiyama is leaving, I'm definitely not playing it. If Toriyama is officially retired and leasing his "style" out, I'm done. I have a feeling the success of XI in the west is a terrible, terrible thing, a double-edged sword. This is likely the worst timeline, where we will forever get translated DQ games but now they're all bad. Monkey's paw...

Dude, calm down. You are making tons of assumptions about a game we know almost nothing about.

While it's not unlikely that DQXII might "double down" on QoL, but not because people outside of Japan like it. The games have always had accessibility in mind since the very beginning. 
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/125100/Horii_Accessibility_Is_A_Cornerstone_of_Dragon_Quests_Success.php

It seems that Shin Megami Tensei V would be more of your speed at this rate, judging by some of your suggestions.

Edited by DragonQuest2IsGood
    grammar
    • Like 2
    • Upvote 2
    Posted (edited)

What Could DQ12 do Different so that It stands out from the other games

DQ has run the gamut of jRPG conventions, so it's actually covered a lot of ground. At this point the best way to make a new DQ stand out would be to integrate or riff on elements from side-games.

• In-battle shortcuts (see DQ Heroes characters with specially assigned skills) pace GrandAlchemist would be great, and likewise shortcuts for the overworld (even specific implementations of spells, like "Zoom to A Specific Place" or "Heal a Specific Character"). Expand DQ 11's menu shortcuts beyond Handy Heal All, like using camera buttons or other toggles for specific spells.
    • Fully mutable appearance and dress was in IX and X, but DQ 12 could go in the opposite direction and fully characterize its main characters. Have distinct male and female character options with their own personality and (please, Santa) individual stories, like a better version of DQ Heroes' Lucius and Aurora. (See Resident Evil 2's Leon and Claire).
      • If divergent main character stories, character-specific barriers open over the course of a game with the progression of the other's story (e.g. If playing as the Male Main, Door X is locked but is opened by Chapter 5. If playing as the Female Main, you unlock Door X from the other side in Chapter 4).
    • Alternatively, detach the player character entirely from the story. He's not the protagonist or antagonist; either he's a party member in his own right, or he is left to his own devices and can choose whether or not to partake in the story. (Not having *no* story, just interacting with it differently). This would be a good option for fully mutable heroes.
    • Have multiple hero-and-party groups able to interact with each other, with each having their own story or side-story.
    • Actions or items that can change the shape of the overworld (opening paths, removing barriers, etc.) also have uses in battle and have secondary overworld effects on either monsters or scenery (e.g. Knuckle Sandwich knocks down trees, but if aimed at a weak overworld monster sends them flying).  Level these skills to further modulate the kind of interaction they can have (e.g. Knuckle Sandwich level 2 can shatter boulders, KS level 3 can knock down giant trees). Some in-battle abilities can be leveled similarly, sacrificing more MP for more power.
    • Treat recruitable monsters likewise, and maybe even have monsters-only sections (see the Munchie segments from DQ8) that can be explored by specific monsters with multiple internal objectives.
    • Sequence breaking.
    • Build your own weapons/items, assembled from modular parts and capable of having specific spells attached for indefinite use in battle.
    • Have a character develop an affinity toward a specific class through his actions in battle that can amplify the abilities of a vocation (e.g. relentless normal attacks attune you to the warrior vocation, offensive spells incline you towards mage). Mix-and-match vocations and affinities for special abilities (e.g. a warrior with a mage affinity can use Flame Slash or Frost Slash). I suppose this is basically just an expanded personality mechanic, but more responsive and less dependent on items.

I could come up with more but these are good to start with, I think.

Edited by Brother Jaybird
    • Like 2
    On 6/5/2021 at 4:34 AM, Cetus said:

A lot of interesting ideas here. I think a morality system is bad for DQ. So many games have one, they're rarely implemented in interesting ways, and to be honest, there's too much evil being glorified today. Dragon Quest is like a lighthouse in a sea of storms. The same comparison can be applied to its gameplay, too. Anyway here are my ideas

• Return to tension system, or a hybrid pep/tension system, or preferably, no tension/pep and just standard combat. I don't trust the pep system to be interesting or consistent; the only way of having control over it is weakening its power, which makes it boring. Maybe a tension system that, at 100, allows you to choose a pep power. Preferably, no layered combat would be okay with me, too. There are 7 main games without one, and they're arguably better than newer ones.
    • LESS quality of life. Inns are useless in XI, town shops are useless because of crafting, healing is ridiculously ubiquitous, and the solution to this was an imbalanced difficulty option. Instead, the game should remove all the extra items, extra crafting systems (or just retain the original VIII alchemy pot), pink story dots, and draconian settings. The games should be playtested correctly and balanced properly so that both casuals and minmaxers can enjoy it; you know, like just about every other single Dragon Quest until now. Some tend to be more or less "easy" in certain spots, because balance can never be perfect, but I just hope XII is a return to tradition while adding a few extra things here and there. The games have been far too radical since VII for me. Oh yeah, speeding up battles artificially (a button) seems weird. I'd rather have the animations cut down entirely, or a choice to remove watching characters attack (just a front-facing battle).
    • A job system plus unique characters. Characters should have their own unique level-based skills/spells etc with a job system on top of it. I'm not a huge fan of skill trees but if they bring them back, like in XI, it could be like FFX or Path of Exile, where characters start in different places and can reach where you want them to go.
    • Open world. Not in the ugly way most games do it, with nothing to do, just expansive nothingness, but like the first DQ where you're simply allowed to take a wrong turn and die. No guards blocking a path, early access to a ship, etc. It would be fun to do a death run into a sequence broken town just so I can buy a crazy powerful weapon early. Games that allow breaking, like FFI, II, VIII, and XII are some of my favorites. Even if you don't purposefully break them, wouldn't it be nice to go all the way to Gondolia before entering Heliodor? Get the ship before getting Rab and Jade? Or in VIII, imagine having access to Trodain from the very beginning! There is something about seeing a crazy, powerful monsters early on that just motivates me.
    • No voice acting, less cut scenes, no 3D mixed with 2D. A return to normalcy, a return to sanity, a return to tradition. No fancy UI. Allow customized party members but give them dialogue and personality anyway. To be really ambitious, implement a personality system like in III and have a entirely different dialogue and party chat based on this. So Party Member 3, who is levelling as a Martial Artist, let's say, has unique dialogue if they test (through a questionnaire) as Aloof. Personality should be permanent and have stat growth effects, albeit minimal in comparison to vocation/job. This would require thousands of unique dialogue options. Now this isn't possible but it would be if Party Member 3's dialogue was mostly the same but their vocation and personality had some influences on reactions, not full rewrites. At the VERY least, I just want personalities back.
    • No more accents, return to Middle English and DW spellings. If you like the new accents and stuff, that's cool, but I don't. If accents are to remain, they should be based on obscure, archaic spellings that haven't been used since 1500 in Moray, or something. Either no accents or double down hard on them and make them 70-80% indecipherable to modern English speakers. For ambition's sake, translate various regions into mutually unintelligible European languages like Basque and Polish and Icelandic and Welsh.
    • No more overworld encounters, please! Bring back random encounters. I want to Whistle again. The ocean was a breath of fresh air in XI. The game can't be balanced in difficulty when players have the ability to skip all encounters. You have to target the lowest common denominators, the people who rush the story, which makes it too easy, hence being forced to add a difficulty option when none of this has been necessary before.

I don't think most of the things I want are realistically going to happen. Probably a doubling down on quality of life, a story mode that bans death, badly tuned difficulty options, a huge dress-up simulator with loads of costly DLC to milk you, connectivity to some mobile phone game for exlcusive items, a million remasters that are version exclusive to trick you into buying a dozen copies, and I don't know, I don't want to think about it. I have no faith in the games now. If Sugiyama is leaving, I'm definitely not playing it. If Toriyama is officially retired and leasing his "style" out, I'm done. I have a feeling the success of XI in the west is a terrible, terrible thing, a double-edged sword. This is likely the worst timeline, where we will forever get translated DQ games but now they're all bad. Monkey's paw...

I definitely would like the same general direction as you, albeit perhaps not so passionately.  Being able to do things in a totally different order sounds challenging and fun. 

That, more customization, and a class system would be enough for me to be thoroughly impressed. 

9 hours ago, Brother Jaybird said:
    • Fully mutable appearance and dress was in IX and X, but DQ 12 could go in the opposite direction and fully characterize its main characters. Have distinct male and female character options with their own personality and (please, Santa) individual stories, like a better version of DQ Heroes' Lucius and Aurora. (See Resident Evil 2's Leon and Claire).
      • If divergent main character stories, character-specific barriers open over the course of a game with the progression of the other's story (e.g. If playing as the Male Main, Door X is locked but is opened by Chapter 5. If playing as the Female Main, you unlock Door X from the other side in Chapter 4).
    • Alternatively, detach the player character entirely from the story. He's not the protagonist or antagonist; either he's a party member in his own right, or he is left to his own devices and can choose whether or not to partake in the story. (Not having *no* story, just interacting with it differently). This would be a good option for fully mutable heroes.

It would be so good to have a dual hero story, like Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Both story being different but connected to one another, not just having to choose between a male/female hero.

• Like 1